*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,928 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Teacher_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that there weren't a few other plot holes or mechanisms but when Mav and Rooster were making their escape in the F14 would it not have been smarter to fly back out super low like they went in to evade radar and detection by enemy planes? Or would that not have worked/mattered for some reason?
An L of an Ag
AG
We finally saw this last night! It was very much worth the wait - such a great movie, let alone sequel. Would absolutely watch this again, preferably one more time in an IMAX type experience.

When this was announced, I was extremely skeptical, but it exceeded all expectations - definitely 10/10 in my book!
The Porkchop Express
Maverick took back the #1 spot at the domestic box office on Monday with another $4.6 million. Elvis was at $4.2 million and Jurassic World holding stronger than I would have thought at $3.4 million.

On the recalibrated #s, Elvis actually was #1 on the weekend at $31.2 million, Maverick $29.6 million, and JWD $26.7 million.

Through Monday, Maverick is up to 15th all-time at $525 million. By the end of the 4th of July weekend, it should be up to 12th, with Rogue One ($532 million), The Dark Knight ($534 million), and The Lion King (2019, $543 million) all set to fall.

After that, you get up to the heavyweights above $600 million, with Incredibles 2 at #11 with $608 million.

Dominion broke $300 million over the weekend and is into the top 90. Dr. Strange is up to 34th all-time at $409 million. Jurassic World will likely surpass The Batman ($369 million) in a few more weeks.

Lightyear not so hot, 11 days in and still hasn't cracked $100 million, was only #1 on the day it came out.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Collective
AG
Kind of curious to see if it gets a bounce for the 4th weekend.

Also, we took the kids to JW this past weekend, and it was really difficult for me to find a ticket that wasn't front row.
maroon barchetta
The Collective said:

Definitely a bump.

Because 'Merica.
maroon barchetta
I saw Maverick again this past weekend. Passing by the theater showing Elvis, there was a large group of teenage girls going in. That was encouraging. I wasn't sure young people would be interested but there are a few.
The Porkchop Express
The Collective said:

Also, we took the kids to JW this past weekend, and it was really difficult for me to find a ticket that wasn't front row.
I don't watch enough TV to know, but they could really pimp it out as the best movie to see on the Fourth of July with the Harold Faltmeyer theme or Hendrix's version of the SSB on commercials the next few days.

Or just have Steve Stevens stand out front of movie theaters across the country playing the guitar riff.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Solo Tetherball Champ
Teacher_Ag said:

Not that there weren't a few other plot holes or mechanisms but when Mav and Rooster were making their escape in the F14 would it not have been smarter to fly back out super low like they went in to evade radar and detection by enemy planes? Or would that not have worked/mattered for some reason?

Well, the idea for flying low was not to avoid detection from planes, but from SAM sites. Planes in that canyon would not only be incredibly obvious to enemy planes who are now alert and looking for intruders but would basically be sitting ducks to those interceptors.

Mavericks' plan was to basically "fly casual" and hope he didn't attract any attention.
The Porkchop Express
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Teacher_Ag said:

Well, the idea for flying low was not to avoid detection from planes, but from SAM sites. Planes in that canyon would not only be incredibly obvious to enemy planes who are now alert and looking for intruders but would basically be sitting ducks to those interceptors.

Mavericks' plan was to basically "fly casual" and hope he didn't attract any attention.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think itll break $600 million and knock off Incredibles 2 at 11 all time, whether it can make it into the top 10 will be a close one. My guess is it will beat The Last Jedi and The Avengers and settle in at #9 behind Jurassic World, which puts it somewhere between $623 and $653 million.
The Porkchop Express
veryfuller said:

I think itll break $600 million and knock off Incredibles 2 at 11 all time, whether it can make it into the top 10 will be a close one. My guess is it will beat The Last Jedi and The Avengers and settle in at #9 behind Jurassic World, which puts it somewhere between $623 and $653 million.
I think it will push past $700 million and they'll keep it out past Labor Day.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Gigem314
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".
Ha, I actually had this happen to me when I saw Fallen Kingdom in the theater. I was like "Wait a minute! Why is The Rock in the new JW movie?". They'd put in Skyscraper instead, and I had to walk out to tell someone they were playing the wrong movie.
country
AG
Gigem314 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".
Ha, I actually had this happen to me when I saw Fallen Kingdom in the theater. I was like "Wait a minute! Why is The Rock in the new JW movie?". They'd put in Skyscraper instead, and I had to walk out to tell someone they were playing the wrong movie.

Around 2000 Cinemark College Station did a fall throwback series where they would play an old movie one night a month with the screening starting at 11:00 PM. When the series started they began to hype up that the finale would be a screening of Top Gun on the biggest screen. We bought tickets and patiently waited.

I believe it was a Saturday night in early December when the showing was scheduled. My group of friends along with pretty much everyone else that had tickets headed to Northgate to get our drink on before the need for speed.

Everyone shows up to the theatre adequately hydrated and ready to rock. Lights go out, everyone goes crazy, opening scene comes on, Danger Zone rocks and the crowd is hopping. About 10 minutes in Take My Breath Away comes on and Maverick and Charlie start getting it on. The crowd is abuzz wondering if we had forgotten the order of the movie. While the buzz is growing Charlie finds her little paper swan and it cuts to Goose ejecting into the canopy and dying. Now a theatre filled with a bunch of drunk college kids begins to go crazy.

The lights come on in the theater and this poor employee has to walk to the front of the theater and tell everyone that the reels came in late and they had to guess which order to splice them in and they had obviously chosen poorly. The theater turns into a melodrama with popcorn being flung cokes going through the air, etc.

The employee says that as an apology everyone would receive a free ticket good for any movie with no expiration. We collect ourselves and start filing out of the theatre where they are handing passes out at the door. We each get one and then walk around to the other door and go back in to re-enter the line. We each got 5+ passes before they discovered our routine. Good times.
Gigem314
AG
Wow. I can only imagine hearing the reaction of a theater full of college students. Nice job getting the extra passes.
The Porkchop Express
Gigem314 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

20+ years ago, a buddy and I decided at the last second to go see Sphere on a Sunday night. We sped to the theater, bought tickets, and raced into the auditorium thinking we'd get there right as it started. Instead there were 5-6 previews on and we figured we had gotten the time wrong. Then the Wedding Singer started and we realized we had gone to the wrong auditorium and missed the first 40 minutes of Sphere, which made it even more incomprehensible than it already was.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
wangus12
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I saw Maverick again this past weekend. Passing by the theater showing Elvis, there was a large group of teenage girls going in. That was encouraging. I wasn't sure young people would be interested but there are a few.
Oh no! Elvis is back to ruining teenage girls like he did 60 years ago
Complete Idiot
wangus12 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Too bad he's not still alive to marry them.
maroon barchetta
Complete Idiot said:

wangus12 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Too bad he's not still alive to marry them.

Jerry Lee Lewis couldn't handle all of them alone.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Movie had me from the opening sequence. I could FEEL the engines. Absolutely incredible action movie, and better than the original.
The Porkchop Express
Maverick passed Rogue One on the all-time domestic list on Wednesday and is now just $500,000 behind The Dark Knight for 13th place all time at $534 million and change. It assuredly passed up ol Brucey on Thursday and will blow by the 2019 Lion King this weekend.

BoxOfficeMojo projects it to be up to $572 million by the end of the 4th of July weekend, which would have it about $36 million short of the Incredibles 2 at $608 million. Maverick is continuing to make $3-4.5 million per day, so that gap will close quickly, and once it hits $600 million, it charges towards the top 10 all-time, the back end of which is currently occupied by The Last Jedi ($620 million) and The Avengers ($623 million).

To put it in perspective of how much major league ass Maverick is kicking at the box, Jurassic World 3 is in its 20th day of release and is at $313 million. Maverick was more than $100 million ahead of it at the 20-day mark, $415 million. Maverick made more money in its first 19 days than Dr. Strange 2 has made in its entire run (55 days, $409 million).

Meanwhile Lightyear is finally going to get to $100 million on Friday at the end of 14 days, and just in time for Minions 2 to open and take a big chomp out of its business. By rough comparison, Toy Story 4 (2019) was at $272 million after 14 days and Toy Story 3 (2010) was at $258 million after 14 days.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Malachi Constant
AG
The fact that it has done so well week to week bodes really well for a 4th of July weekend surge in box office.
schmendeler
AG
How much does Tom Cruise get from this?
Chipotlemonger
AG
schmendeler said:

How much does Tom Cruise get from this?
Not enough. I read the article recently posted on here the other day. It is extremely clear that he was the driving force for this movie being as great as it is.

(Link: https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise)
Sapper Redux
His energy can either make or break a film. It definitely worked in spades with this one.
The Porkchop Express
Hopefully he can take the profits and bankroll a Les Grossman trilogy.

I've always felt MCconaghey's reactions in this scene are just him reacting to seeing Tom Cruise looking and acting this way.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
maroon barchetta
What movie is that from ?
Bunk Moreland
Tropic Thunder

v
DallasTeleAg
maroon barchetta said:

RC_57
AG
Meh, why not.

(317) We Remade Top Gun: Maverick For $20 - YouTube
maroon barchetta
DallasTeleAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

Never saw it.
double aught
AG
It's overrated.
maroon barchetta
Really?
Teacher_Ag
AG
Brought my 70 year old parents and my 9 year old daughter along for my 2nd viewing. Everyone loved it. How many movies can accomplish that?
DallasTeleAg
maroon barchetta said:

DallasTeleAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

Never saw it.
See it!
Stive
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Based on this question and a few of your comments on other threads (mainly the Framed thread), do you mind me asking how old you are?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.