*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,909 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It definitely skews older, but only because Top Gun is drawing less young people.

Apples to apples I think TFA brought in more olds, but the mean was obviously younger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Maverick is also a much better movie than TFA.

I do like that they're both Star Wars movies though.
double aught
AG
"Stay on target"
Kenneth_2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

CajunAg97 said:

Is it me or did Jennifer Connelly look amazing?

Did you skip the rest of the thread?

It's worth repeating.
wangus12
AG
Already feel the need to see it again. Gonna have to fake half a sick day at work and sneak it in without my wife knowing
Schall 02
AG
What is the name of the music/tune/song/whatever that opens the movie before Danger Zone? It's like a bell ringing occasionally and it's so badass.
bagger05
AG
I think it's just called the "Top Gun Anthem"
TXAG 05
AG
bagger05 said:

I think it's just called the "Top Gun Anthem"

Correct
maroon barchetta
Question about something in the original Top Gun that I've always wondered about…why did Maverick and Iceman get sent to the carrier group within 24 hours of graduating from Top Gun and were immediately put into the air against the Soviet jets?

Would you really take two noobs and send them up first when you certainly have experienced pilots already on board?

Were they all suffering from lung worms?
wangus12
AG
With Steve Stevens on guitar
maroon barchetta
wangus12 said:

With Steve Stevens on guitar

Stevens or Vai?
wangus12
AG
Only the best pilots get sent to Top Gun. They're already the best pilots out there. What I never understood was if Maverick was so dang good, why were they going to send Cougar instead of him to TG. Was it for his cavalier decision making
Quad Dog
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Question about something in the original Top Gun that I've always wondered about…why did Maverick and Iceman get sent to the carrier group within 24 hours of graduating from Top Gun and were immediately put into the air against the Soviet jets?

Would you really take two noobs and send them up first when you certainly have experienced pilots already on board?

You get selected for Top Gun after years of experience. Maverick and Iceman were the best on their boat and got selected for Top Gun school. They graduated and had added many hours while at Top Gun on to of their experience.
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure its Stevens. Whichever one played with Billy Idol
bagger05
AG
maroon barchetta said:

They're not noobs. Only the top tier of pilots get to go to Top Gun. So they're probably better than the people who are already on board.

That said of course there's no way it would've gone down like that. But it would've been a much less climactic ending if they all just went on to their next units.
maroon barchetta
wangus12 said:

Pretty sure its Stevens. Whichever one played with Billy Idol

I looked it up. You are correct.

It's Vai that played on the Halo game soundtrack. I knew he was on some soundtrack.
bagger05
AG
Schall 02 said:

What is the name of the music/tune/song/whatever that opens the movie before Danger Zone? It's like a bell ringing occasionally and it's so badass.

The one from the intro doesn't go into the guitar part. That version isn't on the soundtrack.
'03ag
maroon barchetta said:

Those top gun pilots interviewed earlier said you're never better than when you're fresh out of Top Gun.
JB!98
AG
bagger05 said:

maroon barchetta said:

They're not noobs. Only the top tier of pilots get to go to Top Gun. So they're probably better than the people who are already on board.

That said of course there's no way it would've gone down like that. But it would've been a much less climactic ending if they all just went on to their next units.
They would have just flown that mission with regular fleet pilots that were already on the boat in a real situation. Like what the Top Gun pilots have said about this movie, "Its a movie and not a documentary."

Top Gun graduates are not some special forces types that you send into situations. They are trained to go back to their squadrons and teach their peers what they learned and be basically mentors.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
tk for tu juan
The one at the beginning is called Main Titles (You've Been Called Back to Top Gun)

TCTTS
AG
Does anyone else remember the arcade game at Chuck E. Cheese that was like a slightly better version of Rad Racer that totally ripped off the Top Gun "gong" when you selected your car?
tk for tu juan
Cruisin' USA?
Sazerac
AG
Awesome movie, as everyone now knows.

But we had multiple different groups in our imax Sunday afternoon matinee wearing full flight gear and even one guy with his flight helmet. Taking pictures with the poster, etc.

Others seeing this craziness?
watty
AG
Sazerac said:

Awesome movie, as everyone now knows.

But we had multiple different groups in our imax Sunday afternoon matinee wearing full flight gear and even one guy with his flight helmet. Taking pictures with the poster, etc.

Others seeing this craziness?

I have a friend that was a fighter pilot and he did that, wore his full outfit to the movie and brought his boys along dressed up too.. I think it's kinda cool, honestly. Guys like my buddy basically became fighter pilots because of the original Top Gun and now they're taking their sons along to give them that same moment.
aTmAg
AG
country said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Squadron7 said:

FWIW, my 85 year old MIL and a friend are seeing it as we speak. I don't think she's been to a movie in a decade.

This is the type of thing Top Gun brings that no marvel, DC, or star wars movie could.

The Force Awakens did this, but hasn't done it again since.

I don't think TFA drew the oldest movie goers at the rate Top Gun is. That's what made this a big draw to me the whole time. Some 75-80+ year olds obviously were SW fans but not nearly as many that liked Top Gun. Now the 45-65 age group? TFA killed it.
I watched TFA in the theater and I don't think I have ever seen it again. I've watched this movie twice so far.
Gigem314
AG
85aggie777 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

To quote Kelly McGillis, she's "old and fat now" and wasn't approached to be in the sequel. She has 13 years on Jennifer Connelly and hasn't worked in Hollywood in decades.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I've seen recent pictures of her and know she could not play the love interest like Connelly could. But, I thought it was interesting they didn't mention her character at all in the movie as she was an integral part in helping Maverick through Goose's death. And, of course, the ending in the bar between the two of them when he came back to Top Gun was iconic.
Viper also helped Mav through Goose's death and there was no reference to him either.

I think they summed it up well with Mav saying he only lasted 2 months as a Top Gun instructor. Maverick being Maverick. Always on the move and never truly settling down, personally and professionally.

It also gave them the opening to showcase more depth to his history with Penny (Before and after Charlie) to emphasize that she was more his "lifelong love" and didn't require a ton of dialogue.

And it helped complete Maverick's arc at the end. Final mission, finally gets peace with Goose and Rooster, finally settles down with Penny.
rynning
AG
Gigem314 said:

85aggie777 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

To quote Kelly McGillis, she's "old and fat now" and wasn't approached to be in the sequel. She has 13 years on Jennifer Connelly and hasn't worked in Hollywood in decades.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I've seen recent pictures of her and know she could not play the love interest like Connelly could. But, I thought it was interesting they didn't mention her character at all in the movie as she was an integral part in helping Maverick through Goose's death. And, of course, the ending in the bar between the two of them when he came back to Top Gun was iconic.
Viper also helped Mav through Goose's death and there was no reference to him either.

I think they summed it up well with Mav saying he only lasted 2 months as a Top Gun instructor. Maverick being Maverick. Always on the move and never truly settling down, personally and professionally.

It also gave them the opening to showcase more depth to his history with Penny (Before and after Charlie) to emphasize that she was more his "lifelong love" and didn't require a ton of dialogue.

And it helped complete Maverick's arc at the end. Final mission, finally gets peace with Goose and Rooster, finally settles down with Penny.
Wait, no "Top Gun 3"? Or will it be called "Top Gun:Rooster"?
aTmAg
AG
'03ag said:

maroon barchetta said:

Those top gun pilots interviewed earlier said you're never better than when you're fresh out of Top Gun.
If you are talking about that video from several pages back, one guy said that he graduated and became an instructor and was then schooled by a geezer who was his commander. So I don't think that is true.
aTmAg
AG
bagger05 said:

Schall 02 said:

The one from the intro doesn't go into the guitar part. That version isn't on the soundtrack.
Yeah, here is the original intro. I think one of the best movie intros of all time. Better than this one, IMO.

TexasAggie_02
AG
I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread, but I noticed that at the beginning, Jerry Bruckheimer added Don Simpson's (who died in 1996) name back to the production company logo. Looking on wikipedia, apparently Bruckheimer adds Don Simpson's name onto sequels to IP's that they originally did together (Bad Boys 2 and 3, and LA Finest)
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw it the 2nd time with my dad, his 2nd time as well.

They should have been doing this once a decade.

Top Gun: Iceman
Top Gun: Maverick (earlier installation)
Top Gun: Viper & Jester
Top Gun: Final Flight (aka current Maverick)
Sea Speed
AG
So when this thing makes a trillion dollars, do yall think they will try to expand in this universe? Idk if the IP owners are on board since it took so long to make a sequel, but now that they have the technology to shoot in these planes, I would think they would try andnuse it again.
Bunk Moreland
Sea Speed said:

So when this thing makes a trillion dollars, do yall think they will try to expand in this universe? Idk if the IP owners are on board since it took so long to make a sequel, but now that they have the technology to shoot in these planes, I would think they would try andnuse it again.

I don't see them doing anything with it for at least 10+ years.
aTmAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Sea Speed said:

I don't see them doing anything with it for at least 10+ years.
This may be the last chance for them to do it in real planes. They aren't going to let actors fly single seater F-35s or anything.
TexasAggie_02
AG
did anyone else think at first that the final fight would be against drones?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.