*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,437 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Beverly Hills Cop 4 will be called Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley.

Yes, I'm serious.

They literally just had to call it Axel F and they'd be gravy. What kind of idiots do they have running Hollywood
ChipFTAC01
AG
TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Jerry Bruckheimer just had massive success with a legacy sequel named "Top Gun: Maverick." He's following that up with another legacy sequel to another one of his '80s hits, so why *wouldn't* he name it "Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley"? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(That said, I agree that it doesn't roll off the tongue. Though, I remember thinking "Top Gun: Maverick" sounded weird at first too.)

Guess so. Didn't realize JB was doing this movie also.

Would like to see some new standup though - call it Eddie Murphy: Eddie Murphy.

One of the GOATS...

- Armageddon
- Bad Boys
- Bad Boys II
- Bad Boys for Life
- Black Hawk Down
- Con Air
- Crimson Tide
- Beverly Hills Cop
- Beverly Hills Cop II
- Dangerous Minds
- Days of Thunder
- Deja Vu
- Enemy of the State
- Gone in Sixty Seconds
- National Treasure
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets
- Pearl Harbor
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Remember the Titans
- The Rock
- Thief
- Top Gun
- Top Gun: Maverick

Crazy Bad Boys fact I learned listening to Dana Carvey and David Spades podcast. Bad Boys was originally developed for Carvey and Jon Lovitz.
The Porkchop Express
ChipFTAC01 said:

TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Jerry Bruckheimer just had massive success with a legacy sequel named "Top Gun: Maverick." He's following that up with another legacy sequel to another one of his '80s hits, so why *wouldn't* he name it "Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley"? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(That said, I agree that it doesn't roll off the tongue. Though, I remember thinking "Top Gun: Maverick" sounded weird at first too.)

Guess so. Didn't realize JB was doing this movie also.

Would like to see some new standup though - call it Eddie Murphy: Eddie Murphy.

One of the GOATS...

- Armageddon
- Bad Boys
- Bad Boys II
- Bad Boys for Life
- Black Hawk Down
- Con Air
- Crimson Tide
- Beverly Hills Cop
- Beverly Hills Cop II
- Dangerous Minds
- Days of Thunder
- Deja Vu
- Enemy of the State
- Gone in Sixty Seconds
- National Treasure
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets
- Pearl Harbor
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Remember the Titans
- The Rock
- Thief
- Top Gun
- Top Gun: Maverick

Crazy Bad Boys fact I learned listening to Dana Carvey and David Spades podcast. Bad Boys was originally developed for Carvey and Jon Lovitz.
Now I really want to see Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz shooting up a KKK rally.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, I may or may not have once showed Jerry how to use Tinder. Not because he wanted on the app (he's happily married), but because he was curious how it worked. And this may or may not have happened at a CSI wrap party where I was mistaken for a tech mogul because I showed up in a hoodie and ball cap.
This may your best Hollywood story yet. It's like right out of Entourage.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory, but it's a fun one, and would at least explain why, just after the opening crash, everything about the diner and the people in it looks/feels like something straight out of the 1950s…

i watched the movie twice before reading that theory and once after...i have to say, it's one of the better fan-theories/interpretations i've ever seen and it helps explain multiple scenes, not just the diner.
TCTTS
AG
With "National Cinema Day," aka $3 movie day this weekend, all across the country, speculation is that TG:M will once again reclaim the top spot theatrically, making it the first movie in history to take first place at the box office on both Memorial Day Weekend AND Labor Day Weekend. Would be so cool to see that happen.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I am FINALLY sitting down in the theater to see this for the 2nd time. LFG! LOTR can wait.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Unbelievable. Even better the 2nd viewing time at points. Very glad I was able to get another theater viewing of this.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed
AG
Tom cruise gonna be a billionaire after the back end checks come through
bthotugigem05
AG
Sea Speed said:

Tom cruise David Miscavige gonna be a billionaire after the back end checks come through

FIFY
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thought this was cool. The trophy plaque and letter are cut off, but it's a trophy for passing the $1B mark.

ArmyAg2002
AG
Too bad they used an Eagle instead of a Tomcat or Hornet.
Chipotlemonger
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

Too bad they used an Eagle instead of a Tomcat or Hornet.

Good point
JB!98
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Thought this was cool. The trophy plaque and letter are cut off, but it's a trophy for passing the $1B mark.

That actually looks more like a Mig-29 than an Eagle. No where close to a Hornet.
Decay
AG
Mig-15 Feagle
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JB!98 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

That actually looks more like a Mig-29 than an Eagle. No where close to a Hornet.

Take a look at the indentation along the front edge of the stabilizers. This statue thing is definitely an F-15 Eagle.
#FJB
Scriffer
AG
Probably already been addressed, but I just pre-ordered the 4K Blu Ray for both TGs and the Amazon order has a digital code. Can I only use the digital once I receive the discs?
wangus12
AG
Good news. Delta has TG:M on their inflight entertainment list
The Porkchop Express
wangus12 said:

Good news. Delta has TG:M on their inflight entertainment list
Nothing like watching planes blow up while you're on a plane!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Scriffer said:

Probably already been addressed, but I just pre-ordered the 4K Blu Ray for both TGs and the Amazon order has a digital code. Can I only use the digital once I receive the discs?

You can only use it once, but you don't need to use it any more than that because you can connect any of your digital accounts through a service like Movies Anywhere. Usually, if you enter a code through through the studio's website, it gives you the option to link to Movies Anywhere (or Apple or Vudu or whoever), and then Movies Anywhere can link it to any number of other digital accounts that you have (and then you own the movie digitally and can watch it as many times as you want, on whichever services you want)...

https://moviesanywhere.com/welcome
Scriffer
AG
Sorry, what I meant was, can I not use the code until I receive the discs?
TCTTS
AG
Correct.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Looks like I'll be out another very worthy $20.

And another couple thousand for a fresh TV when the blu ray arrives...
TCTTS
AG
country
AG
Settled into number 5 all time domestic taking down Black Panther. Probably its final resting place. Heck of a ride.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Does Top Gun get a best picture nod?

I agree, Cruise should get a best Actor nomination. Seems like they normally nominate based on a few things: super compelling character in a strong story/movie, some kind of distressed character that is acted well and maybe the movie is meh at worst, big name actor in some indie feeling film, or something way out of bounds for the actor and they do really well or unique with what they are given.

Cruise carries the movie.
TCTTS
AG
At this point, yeah, I'm convinced it earns a Best Picture nomination.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

At this point, yeah, I'm convinced if earns a Best Picture nomination.

After seeing it my 2nd time it went from "great movie that I really liked" to "easily in my Top 10 all time list."
The Porkchop Express
Has an actor ever gotten nominated for an Oscar for a role that he didn't get nominated for the first time he played it?
schmendeler
AG
Just a wild guess, what about Viggo in the LotR trilogy?
double aught
AG
Top Gun: Maverick as a Best Picture nominee makes total sense. Huge hit. Critical favorite. Crowd pleaser. Ratings grabber.

So that means the academy probably won't do it.
The Porkchop Express
schmendeler said:

Just a wild guess, what about Viggo in the LotR trilogy?
I think only Ian Mckellen got nominated, and that was for FOTR. I thought maybe someone from Godfather 2, but I don't know enough about those movies.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

Top Gun: Maverick as a Best Picture nominee makes total sense. Huge hit. Critical favorite. Crowd pleaser. Ratings grabber.

So that means the academy probably won't do it.
Oh, they've nominated some films matching your criteria: Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark are two that stand out to me.
#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.