*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,881 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yall make good points. I made that post as someone completely ignorant to it. I saw avatar (not on the big screen) and thought it was awful. Had I seen it on the screen or on 3D when that was all the rage I probably would have been impressed from that standpoint.

That said, it's the only movie that is so massive that I can't understand how it made the money it did because so many people I know never saw it.

I'm glad I saw it in the theater with the 3D, but have absolutely no desire to ever watch it again.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I saw Avatar once on the big screen. I will possibly see this first sequel once. I'm a sucker for science fiction, always have been, and James Cameron has given us a fair number of science fiction classics. I found the movie's preachiness off-putting, and I recognized a story that had been done far better in previous movies, such as Dances With Wolves. The visuals were fantastic, but that didn't make up for the fact that when I left the theater, I felt as if I was nothing but an observer watching from afar rather than being pulled into that world like Star Wars did.
#FJB
Gigem314
AG
Apache said:

* Didn't expect the Tomcat escape at the end, but it was freaking awesome!
Same. Saw it for a second time the other night and absolutely loved that whole sequence.

"Why are the wings comin' out, Mav??"
HossAg
AG
I haven't read this thread but this movie was a ****in masterpiece. And I'm usually not a huge fan of action movies.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And there it is. Returning to IMAX at AMC theaters this Friday.
DallasTeleAg
For those of us who haven't seen it in IMAX... worth it for a third viewing?
schmendeler
AG
This movie is like Titanic for millennial/gen-x dudes.
TCTTS
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yes. For the flight scenes alone.
country
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yes. Without question. Greatest experience I've ever had.
Sazerac
AG
Didn't think imax was that great.
Missed reclining seats, leg room, etc.
and our theater didn't have any air flow.

So I don't have to look through this entire thread, what is this comedy movie that Glen Powell is so funny in?
JCA1
AG
Would not surprise me at all if Top Gun retakes No. 1 in the box office within the next day or so. It's held incredibly steady for weeks and Jurassic Park has been hemorrhaging viewers since it's opening weekend.
MooreTrucker
AG
Sazerac said:

So I don't have to look through this entire thread, what is this comedy movie that Glen Powell is so funny in?
I saw it at a Premiere Cinema IMAX and did have reclining seats, etc.

And I would see it again in a heartbeat!
Sex Panther
AG
Sazerac said:

Everybody Wants Some ?
TCTTS
AG
Sazerac said:

Yeah, I get especially grumpy when there's no in-theater masseuse. Or when the cucumber slices don't have tiny screens on them for my in-theater facials and I actually have to look at the big screen on the wall. It also sucks that because my IMAX theater didn't have any air flow, that obviously means no other IMAX theaters have good air flow either, and because of my subjective experience with bad air flow, IMAX totally isn't worth it for anyone else.
Sazerac
AG
Yep, totally Crazy that someone has a different opinion than you.

Didn't think it was worth double the price
TCTTS
AG
It was a joke.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

It was a joke.

He had no airflow. He's not in the mood
TCTTS
TXAG 05
AG
Gigem314 said:

Apache said:

* Didn't expect the Tomcat escape at the end, but it was freaking awesome!
Same. Saw it for a second time the other night and absolutely loved that whole sequence.

"Why are the wings comin' out, Mav??"

I thought it was pretty obvious as soon as they showed the F-14s on the satellite photos that they were going to get him in one somehow. Plus, if I remember correctly, they showed an F-14 flying in the trailer.
Sapper Redux
schmendeler said:

This movie is like Titanic for millennial/gen-x dudes.

Okay, now I'm waiting for the "My Heart Will Go On" mashups of this film.
TCTTS
AG
aTmAg
AG
Somebody has to work on making their jokes funny.
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Sazerac said:

Everybody Wants Some ?
Movie by Richard Linklater (made Dazed and Confused) that follows a freshman joining his college baseball team over the summer. The story starts there and flows into the school year.
Powell is one of the teammates already at the house they share, and basically steals every scene he is in.
The Porkchop Express
Finally getting to go see it tomorrow night with the kids at camp.

I love watching the box office of a movie like this just plow through expectations. It's up to $480.7 million through Tuesday, that's 18th all-time domestically. It's now $74 million ahead of Dr. Strange. Will be just the 17th movie to reach $500 million domestically.

There's no way in hell Jurassic World will catch up to it.

That means the only things left in its way for 2022 are:

Thor: Love and Thunder - considering it's the first post-Endgame sequel of one of the real "Big Four" Avengers and how big Ragnarok was ($315 million) after the first two Thors were pretty blah at the box office - $181 million and $206 million , and how big Dr. Strange was, and with the enormous cast and more women wanting to see it for Portman (and a Hemsworth nude scene), as long as it doesn't suck, seems like it could do $600 million with 2 huge months of summer left.

Elvis: Can't wait to see it, but not sure anyone under 30 gives a flying *****about Elvis. He died when I was 3 years old and I'm pushing 50.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - The first one made $700 million, but with no Chadwick Boseman, who knows what it will be like. His charisma was a big calling card for that movie but in some ways I'm more excited that they chose not to recast T'Challa.Could be a really special film done right.

Avatar: The Way of the Water: Seems like $600+ million guaranteed just for the spectacle. If it's a good story, look out.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn I still need to see that movie.
maroon barchetta
Chipotlemonger said:

Damn I still need to see that movie.

It's ok. Not a great story but if you are in the right age group the nostalgia factor will be big.
double aught
AG
I found it to be a lot of fun. A worthy "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused.
TCTTS
AG
But it's also not a "story" movie. It's a feel-good, hang out/vibe movie and it's damn near perfect in that respect.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

But it's also not a "story" movie. It's a feel-good, hang out/vibe movie and it's damn near perfect in that respect.

True
DallasTeleAg
I thought Everybody Wants Some was underrated. Granted, I tend to like many movies with that vibe, and meandering storyline. Not at the level of Dazed and Confused, but still fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Doctor Strange quietly nearing a billion worldwide.
TCTTS
AG
JCA1
AG
Top Gun back in the top spot according to box office mojo.
Decay
AG
No Aggie sports to interfere...let's all see Top Gun again

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.