*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,905 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

And your point? "I bet I can get him to make a comment about hypocritical behavior"? Congrats?
Christ man, I was just kidding. I really enjoyed Maverick. Will probably see it again.

"and nitpicking the hell out of it?" I made 2 comments, both with the laughing face, neither critical of the movie.

And Barchetta, check your PMs please.

No
The Porkchop Express
Boxofficemojo put the estimates out - maverick ties Elvis with $30.5 million for the weekend. Up to $521 million now, 15th all time.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
amercer
AG
Saw this tonight. ****ing awesome.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Just got back. Had my expectations set pretty high after all of the hype and this movie still exceeded that. One of the greatest sequels ever made. Awesome on a lot of levels.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Also

The Khomeinist regime watching this movie:

VS

The IDF watching this movie:

The Collective
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I wonder if he has experience doing online social experiments to get reactions from people.

Highway to the danger zone!
The Porkchop Express
Teacher_Ag said:

Just got back. Had my expectations set pretty high after all of the hype and this movie still exceeded that. One of the greatest sequels ever made. Awesome on a lot of levels.
Other than Godfather 2 and Empire, I can't think of a better sequel off the top of my head. And kudos to Glen Powell for perfectly embodying the role of "epic d*bag". I read online that he tested for the role of Goose's, and even after he didn't get it, Cruise had them make another character richer and fuller so that they could get him in the movie because Cruise liked his performance so much.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Terminator 2?
HossAg
AG
Toy Story 2
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
Wow, definitely! That's like my defining movie experience as a teenager. Have to drop Mav to 4th. Thanks for helping out an old man, Spilner
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
Wow, definitely! That's like my defining movie experience as a teenager. Have to drop Mav to 4th. Thanks for helping out an old man, Spilner
While I think Alien is better, Aliens is a damn great sequel.
#FJB
MooreTrucker
AG
I think what puts TG:M at the top of the sequels list is the amount of time between the original and this sequel and how everything still works so well.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I think what puts TG:M at the top of the sequels list is the amount of time between the original and this sequel and how everything still works so well.

This. We watched the original again, and the scene where goose dies and the swimmers are grabbing his body from Maverick… "sir, you have to let him go sir"… took him 30 years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cameron: king of the sequel
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Collective
AG
I don't care what people think - Titanic 2 with zombie Jack needs get made. It can be straight to the Scify channel if need be.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

As the resident LOTR guru - where do you put TTT on a sequels list? Is it your third favorite of the saga?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My LOTR rankings:

1. FOTR - 10/10
2. ROTK - 9.9999/10 (Only points docked are for the endings, which even though necessary, do seem to go on for a while)
3. TTT - 9.8/10 (The middle of the movie sags just a little bit with the trek to Helm's Deep.)

Best trilogy ever. (Sorry SW, Godfather, BTTF, etc.)

But I also never consider them in the sequel discussion because they're not quite the same as a traditional sequel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective said:

I don't care what people think - Titanic 2 with zombie Jack needs get made. It can be straight to the Scify channel if need be.

jokershady
AG
So you think return of the Jedi is better than the twin towers?
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
if you're like me, my dad showed me T2 before T1…..so is it still a sequel to me?
Teacher_Ag
AG
Ok more thoughts now that I've slept.

1. I know Tom Cruise isn't the most loved celeb out there and has probably earned some of that disdain, but I'm glad for him that he got to have the moments of making this sequel. Regardless of his personal life I think he's one of the hardest working, most dedicated actors alive today.
2. The only part that really made me cringe. As soon as Mav was falling out of that window I hoped they wouldn't have the daughter conveniently watching and saying something that a kid her age wouldn't say and...yeah. "just don't break her heart again"...come on
3. As badass as the final action sequence was, I almost think I would have preferred if Mav just sacrificed his life pulling that flares trick to save Rooster and that's his final act. Everything starting with his rescue and the next several sequences all felt a little too...Ramboish. So far I had been able to suspend my disbelief but that whole thing took it to a new level of "Hollywood".
4. I really hope there will eventually be a "making of" doc or feature. I'd watch the hell out of that. I'm super interested in the whole process of how in the world that was made
5. Great casting, I can't think of a single actor that didn't nail their part. I'm particularly glad that they chose to include a sharp female pilot but not have that become THE focus of the movie and have her "teach all the guys a thing or two" because 90% of woke producers would have insisted that be the central aspect.
6. Again...damn near a 10 out of 10 movie. Doesn't get much better than that. In an age of a thousand weak, cash-grabbing sequels and reboots this was a diamond in the rough. I want to see it again in IMAX before it's too late.
DallasTeleAg
jokershady said:

The Porkchop Express
Agree 100% on the casting of the ace female pilot. She was one of the many great pilots. Nobody was having a secret love affair with her, although perhaps implied with Rooster a bit. She didn't have some BS sob story about her mother dying from a fighter attack in some third-world country. She didn't fall in love with nerdy Bob because he was the only non-Alpha, etc.

I was also trending towards Maverick sacrificing himself, but I don't think Tom Cruise has ever died in a movie, so that seemed unlikely. Plus, if you do that, there's no Top Gun 3: 10 Ways to Lose a Guy While Inverted
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My LOTR rankings:

1. FOTR - 10/10
2. ROTJ - 9.9999/10 (Only points docked are for the endings, which even though necessary, do seem to go on for a while)
3. TTT - 9.8/10 (The middle of the movie sags just a little bit with the trek to Helm's Deep.)

Best trilogy ever. (Sorry SW, Godfather, BTTF, etc.)

But I also never consider them in the sequel discussion because they're not quite the same as a traditional sequel.

I knew Sauron was a Sith Lord!!!! He was tall and dark and had a menacing helmet and some health problems.

And Mount Doom is where all the lava came from that burned Anakin!
The Collective
AG
jokershady said:

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Not sure if serious?

ETA - think the joke went over my head at first. Sorry.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
if you're like me, my dad showed me T2 before T1…..so is it still a sequel to me?

I saw T2 for years without even knowing there was a first.
TXAG 05
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Agree 100% on the casting of the ace female pilot. She was one of the many great pilots. Nobody was having a secret love affair with her, although perhaps implied with Rooster a bit. She didn't have some BS sob story about her mother dying from a fighter attack in some third-world country. She didn't fall in love with nerdy Bob because he was the only non-Alpha, etc.

I was also trending towards Maverick sacrificing himself, but I don't think Tom Cruise has ever died in a movie, so that seemed unlikely. Plus, if you do that, there's no Top Gun 3: 10 Ways to Lose a Guy While Inverted

He died in Collateral
Teacher_Ag
AG
TXAG 05 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

He died in Collateral

And in Vanilla Sky, twice

And in Edge of Tomorrow, fifty (?) times

And in Valkyrie

And in Oblivion, (he AND his clone)

The dude dies a lot
DallasTeleAg
Wow...

"Let me spoil any Tom Cruise movie you haven't seen!"
TCTTS
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

He died in Collateral

And in Valkyrie

The dude dies a lot

Frozen, not dead. One might even say he was... an iceman.
Claude!
TCTTS said:

Teacher_Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

He died in Collateral

And in Valkyrie

The dude dies a lot

Frozen, not dead. One might even say he was... an iceman.
[/clicks teeth]
MrPlow2010
AG
I think in the 3rd movie Bill Pullman shows up as the President and flies with Bob ( Pullman's real life son) so that they can have a father son moment and it can also tie in Independence day and have Maverick fight 475th generation alien aircrafts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.