*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

193,154 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
jograki
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
watty said:

Sazerac said:

Awesome movie, as everyone now knows.

But we had multiple different groups in our imax Sunday afternoon matinee wearing full flight gear and even one guy with his flight helmet. Taking pictures with the poster, etc.

Others seeing this craziness?

I have a friend that was a fighter pilot and he did that, wore his full outfit to the movie and brought his boys along dressed up too.. I think it's kinda cool, honestly. Guys like my buddy basically became fighter pilots because of the original Top Gun and now they're taking their sons along to give them that same moment.

My brother is a USAF vet and he wore his flight suit too. I think it's fun when people do that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weekend actual was $90M, -29%. Was already the record holder and even by more now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Uh oh.

Gramercy Riffs
AG
Bradley Bradshaw is a goofy name. The rest of the movie was pretty perfect. Can't wait to see it again.
Buck Compton
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Bradley Bradshaw is a goofy name. The rest of the movie was pretty perfect. Can't wait to see it again.
Agreed. But then again I know someone named Christopher Cross who goes by Chris.
bthotugigem05
AG
I mean the guitarist in the original Top Gun theme is named Steve Stevens...
Claude!
jograki said:

watty said:

Sazerac said:

Awesome movie, as everyone now knows.

But we had multiple different groups in our imax Sunday afternoon matinee wearing full flight gear and even one guy with his flight helmet. Taking pictures with the poster, etc.

Others seeing this craziness?

I have a friend that was a fighter pilot and he did that, wore his full outfit to the movie and brought his boys along dressed up too.. I think it's kinda cool, honestly. Guys like my buddy basically became fighter pilots because of the original Top Gun and now they're taking their sons along to give them that same moment.

My brother is a USAF vet and he wore his flight suit too. I think it's fun when people do that.

Would've been funnier if he'd worn his flight gear to go see The Northman.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh oh.

I only read the quotes in the article, but this seems like a shameless money grab attempt.

On one hand, I get the of wanting to protect your father/mother's creative work, but so often these lawsuits are just talent-less children trying to get an easy paycheck.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree. But it also seems like they may have legal ground?

I'm sure it'll get settled for a couple mill, a nice paycheck for those vultures and no sweat off Paramount's back.
schmendeler
AG
Some of the law-Twitter people i follow seem to think it's on pretty shaky ground.
213 Grove
AG
Southlake said:

So, the comments are starting to repeat so I was wondering who holds a candle to the fabulous Jennifer Connolly?

+/- 5 years maybe?

I'm thinking Kate Beckensale.

JC or KB? Who ya got?

Shakira?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd0_UvaIm76/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
DallasTeleAg
Shakira is only 45.
TCTTS
AG
TXAG 05
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh oh.

I only read the quotes in the article, but this seems like a shameless money grab attempt.

On one hand, I get the of wanting to protect your father/mother's creative work, but so often these lawsuits are just talent-less children trying to get an easy paycheck.

Of course it's a money grab, they didn't care about it until they saw what a hit this movie is.
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

If the reviews of Jurassic Park are any indication, this is a good idea. It's getting horrible reviews.
Southlake
213 Grove said:

Southlake said:

So, the comments are starting to repeat so I was wondering who holds a candle to the fabulous Jennifer Connolly?

+/- 5 years maybe?

I'm thinking Kate Beckensale.

JC or KB? Who ya got?

Shakira?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd0_UvaIm76/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
And Shakira is available now…
BAP Enthusiast
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise

Favorite excerpts:

Quote:

Kosinski: We were shooting the third-act scene in the snow-covered mountains at Whidbey Island. One day, the weather was so spectacular and we had so much work to do, so Tom flew three sorties in a day. Most of our actors would fly once a day. On the last flight, he came back to the debrief room. I could tell he was exhausted and he just sat down on the chair and he put his black Ray-Bans from Risky Business on. I was like, "How did it go?" And he said, "We crushed it." And he did crush it.

Quote:

Pullman: There was this moment where Tom brought us into his trailer to show us the first trailer of Top Gun: Maverick. I will always remember Glen Powell looking at Tom and sort of jokingly going, "Tom, you realize now the only way to top yourself is to shoot a movie in space." Everyone was laughing. And with a sense of seriousness, Tom just nodded: "Yes, that's true." Like, this is what's next for me, this is my duty.

bthotugigem05
AG
Tom Cruise is going to the international space station either later this year or early next to shoot part of a movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The next Mission Impossible.

Edit: Nvm apparently it's a separate project. Doug Liman directing.
schmendeler
AG
You can't help but be in awe of his dedication
EclipseAg
AG
Re: box office success.

I think you guys are underestimating the power of Kenny Loggins.
Bunk Moreland
EclipseAg said:

Re: box office success.

I think you guys are underestimating the power of Kenny Loggins.

The best decision they made was repeating the intro basically frame for frame. The moment the intro song hits on the paramount screen I knew what they were fixing to do and moved to the edge of my seat in anticipation.

And of course when Loggins hits, you're just fully consumed.
TCTTS
AG
And on my second viewing, it struck me how effective it was in showing those fighter jets being "prepped"/taking off, but then being like, "Actually, that's not the story we're going to tell quite yet," and instead cutting to lowly ol' Mav, alone in his bachelor hangar, "prepping" HIS little plane. It was just a nice contrast that set the stage well.
schmendeler
AG
Is that Tom Cruise's own p-51? I feel like I've seen him with that plane before.
Sea Speed
AG
Yes it is. Thwre where a couple pages of discussion about it on one of these threads.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I mean the guitarist in the original Top Gun theme is named Steve Stevens...

Fantastic. I went to school with a guy named William Williams and another named Brad Bradley. Met another dude named Kelly Kelley. All goofy names. I just figured Goose was better than that.
bthotugigem05
AG
I knew a David Davidson the FOURTH growing up. Since my work takes me to the nordics pretty frequently, I know more than one Christian Christianson, it's common in the patronymic naming countries.
TCTTS
AG
From Cruise to Pitt (with a Hemsworth movie in between, releasing on Netflix next week). Kosinski is on fire...

schmendeler
AG
Very interesting
Bunk Moreland
I mean, i'm not against Kosinksi just becoming the next Tony Scott.

His version of The Fan will be great.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I didn't even think of that. He really is basically going from Top Gun to Days of Thunder.
double aught
AG
Wrong thread. Shame on me.
Squadron7
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I knew a David Davidson the FOURTH growing up. Since my work takes me to the nordics pretty frequently, I know more than one Christian Christianson, it's common in the patronymic naming countries.

Wasn't there a David McDavid car dealership back in the day?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was about to post, it's hard to believe Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have never worked together.

Then I remembered Interview With the Vampire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.