*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

192,193 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most unrealistic part of this movie is a bunch of millenials (possibly zoomers?) knowing all the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire.

I chuckle at this, but that was also the one callback I felt was just too much. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.
Really? I took it as a song that Rooster has memories of singing with his dad, so obviously learned it. He also seems to have history with many of the other pilots, so this seemed like something that happens a lot when they are all together at the bar.
Yeah, the minute he sat down at the piano they reacted like they'd seen it before and knew it was gonna be fun.
jackie childs
DallasTeleAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most unrealistic part of this movie is a bunch of millenials (possibly zoomers?) knowing all the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire.

I chuckle at this, but that was also the one callback I felt was just too much. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.
Really? I took it as a song that Rooster has memories of singing with his dad, so obviously learned it. He also seems to have history with many of the other pilots, so this seemed like something that happens a lot when they are all together at the bar.
on first watch, i thought Rooster playing Great Balls of Fire was a bit too "on the nose" too. But i rewatched the first top gun afterward and little rooster is actually older than i remembered and even singing along with Goose in that scene.
emando2000
AG
jackie childs said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

on first watch, i thought Rooster playing Great Balls of Fire was a bit too "on the nose" too. But i rewatched the first top gun afterward and little rooster is actually older than i remembered and even singing along with Goose in that scene.
Yeah, it's probably one of his fondest memories of his dad. He's sitting on the piano during the song in the original. The only unrealistic part is that all of the guys new the words by heart.
MooreTrucker
AG
emando2000 said:

jackie childs said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, it's probably one of his fondest memories of his dad. He's sitting on the piano during the song in the original. The only unrealistic part is that all of the guys new the words by heart.
Unless like DallasTeleAg said, it happens a lot.
Philo B 93
MooreTrucker said:

emando2000 said:

jackie childs said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Unless like DallasTeleAg said, it happens a lot.

Maybe they all saw the original Top Gun when they were kids, and they also know all the words to "Loving Feeling". If that's too meta for you, maybe they were all huge Dennis Quaid fans.
DallasTeleAg
Go watch the movie again. Once he unplugs the jukebox and goes to the piano, EVERY pilot immediately understood what was about to happen. This was definitely a bunch of peers coming back together for the first time in a while, doing something they did a lot in the past.
TCTTS
AG
I'm assuming that's not the first time Rooster has played/sung that song, in a bar, with that crew. Goose obviously played it for him, Rooster has likely been singing it ever since, as a way to remember/honor his dad, and I'm guessing it then became a "thing" when they were all in Top Gun together, before the "reunion"/mission in the movie. So they all probably know the words that way.
DallasTeleAg
Also, love this conversation. Badass Top Gun pilot talking with badass Navy SEAL.

TCTTS
AG
You beat me to it, but my thoughts exactly.
tk for tu juan
TCTTS
AG
Btw, seeing it again tonight. I've seen plenty of movies twice in theaters, but the second time has almost always either been alone or with friends/family who were going for the first time. But tonight is the first movie, probably since college, where three of us are seeing it together, who have all already seen it. And I wasn't even the one to instigate it. I just love how infectious this movie is.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Seeing it tomorrow with my dad in IMAX. This will both be our 2nd viewing.
wangus12
AG
I'm going again tomorrow
JCRiley09
AG
I went today because of word of mouth. Loved it so much, I was trying to convince the girl at the grocery register and the bag boy to go see it. I went solo and am working on convincing my wife to go with me and see it again.
jbeaman88
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Go watch the movie again. Once he unplugs the jukebox and goes to the piano, EVERY pilot immediately understood what was about to happen. This was definitely a bunch of peers coming back together for the first time in a while, doing something they did a lot in the past.
Almost like they might have sung it with him before at Pensacola or Kingsville, right?
maroon barchetta
Apologies if this has been posted before. Not sure if it goes here or the non-spoiler thread. Maybe both.

It's a long read but holy crap…

They did everything but solo those F-18's.

Cruise is driven to make his movies great. And he pulls everyone along with him. It's incredible.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise
Jason_Ag98
AG
Finally got a chance to see it an agree completely with all of the positive reviews. Awesome summer movie and it took me right back to my 80's childhood in the best way!

Was anyone else waiting for Maverick to excuse himself to take a shower when Penny finally invited him in?
double aught
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Apologies if this has been posted before. Not sure if it goes here or the non-spoiler thread. Maybe both.

It's a long read but holy crap…

They did everything but solo those F-18's.

Cruise is driven to make his movies great. And he pulls everyone along with him. It's incredible.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise
Lewis Pullman (Bob):

Quote:

"Then they said, "We want to sign you up as long as you're not scared of flying." I fly all the time commercially-Spirit Airlines, all the greats. They were like, "It might be a little different than that."
Decay
AG
"Spirit Airlines, all the greats"
Four Seasons Landscaping
The way they found a way for F-14s to be relevant was pretty ****ing impressive writing.
DallasTeleAg
I was watching some fighter pilot's review, and he was saying the only country he knows who still has F-14s is Iran.
JB!98
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I was watching some fighter pilot's review, and he was saying the only country he knows who still has F-14s is Iran.
This is correct and there are not many of them that are airworthy anymore.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Four Seasons Landscaping
Yes, Iran is the only nation still flying F-14s. I should correct myself now that I think about it, they never explicitly stated that it was Iran they were attacking.

I just figured it was based on the nuclear enrichment thing.
Bunk Moreland
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Yes, Iran is the only nation still flying F-14s. I should correct myself now that I think about it, they never explicitly stated that it was Iran they were attacking.

I just figured it was based on the nuclear enrichment thing.

I saw it for the 2nd time last night and I need closed captions because when warlock first introduces the mission to Maverick I swear he says "Iran backed" or something similar. But if he does it's the only mention
Sea Speed
AG
Only thing I really took issue with is the way they reacted to 5th generation fighters maneuvering capability. They would have been familiar with their capability as US obviously would have the best of the best.
Sea Speed
AG
Obviously a small and inconsequential nitpick.
'03ag
There's a pilot roundtable posted earlier in the thread. They said that was pretty realistic. That it's easy to watch those things and get distracted what they can do.
TexasAggie73
AG
Sea Speed said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

aTmAg said:

As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff, I was a big fan of the hyper sonic scenes early on. They must have had real engineers help on that mock up. Or their visual effects guys really did their homework on how to make it look real. Even down to the stickers and labels we put on stuff nowadays.

I wish when Tom Cruise walked into the diner and asked where he was, and the kid said "Earth", that Tom would have followed up with "what state?". Because the real SR-71 (which would have been ~3X times slower) would occasionally make late turns and miss entire west cost states.
This says LH Skunk works was heavily involved

The skunk logo was heavily featured in the beginning. They made it pretty clear that skunk works was involved.
They were. My SIL works for Skunk Works and he confirmed that a section of SW's was involved. Unfortunately, not the part that he works in.
Doctor51
C1NRB
AG
Saw it this afternoon.

I was surprised how many olds were there. Gen X I expected, but there was a couple already seated on the row in front of us and I haven't been smacked that hard by Estee Lauder since my grandmother died in 1992. (If you know, you know)
Then another elderly couple came in and sat a few seats over from us.
Lastly, a three generation family- grandparents, middle age parents, and elementary age kids- took up almost a whole row.

I was working at a movie theater in 1986 when Top Gun came out. Needless to say, I saw it numerous times. This one was as good, but I won't see it as many times as I did the first one. I am open to a repeat viewing, which is more than I can say for most movies.

We did get the pre-show PSA.

Philo B 93
Here's the reason I saw it twice….. 2 hours 11 minutes.

If Top Gun was equally good at three hours, I would only see it once. I would still like it, just not "three hours" like it.
JB!98
AG
C1NRB said:

Saw it this afternoon.

I was surprised how many olds were there. Gen X I expected, but there was a couple already seated on the row in front of us and I haven't been smacked that hard by Estee Lauder since my grandmother died in 1992. (If you know, you know)
Then another elderly couple came in and sat a few seats over from us.
Lastly, a three generation family- grandparents, middle age parents, and elementary age kids- took up almost a whole row.

I was working at a movie theater in 1986 when Top Gun came out. Needless to say, I saw it numerous times. This one was as good, but I won't see it as many times as I did the first one. I am open to a repeat viewing, which is more than I can say for most movies.

We did get the pre-show PSA.

Remember some of those olds were in their mid 30's when the first one came out! My wife and I thought the same thing in our theater and realized that we are considered olds now.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$68M+ second weekend for an excellent -46% hold
double aught
AG
What's going on in the scene where Mav shows up at Penny's bar in his dress uniform? If I'm remembering right, there's no dialogue
TCTTS
AG
What an incredible movie. Just as good, if not even better, the second time. I could go right back in and see it again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.