*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

192,133 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

TCTTS said:

Had dinner with my friend tonight and got some good news / "insider" exclusives…

- IMAX re-release coming in August.

- Digital purchase finally available mid-August.

- Paramount+ release in November.

Are we going to see movies going to HBO less and less now?

Probably, since it seems like everyone has their own streaming service these days, they don't need HBO any more.
TCTTS
AG
It'll just go to both now. The HBO model isn't going anywhere. HBO pays for those movies and the studios aren't going to turn that $$$ down. The timing might be different, but TG:M will find its way to HBO eventually.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, in this case, I forgot that Paramount and Showtime are both owned by Viacom, so it'll probably end up on Showtime instead.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I did not get to see it in IMAX the first time around. Think I might have to find a way to drive to see it in IMAX if it's rereleased..(not super close to an IMAX).
TCTTS
AG
Worth it.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I saw it in the IPIC theater simply because it's comfortable. But live a couple miles from the Houston Marqee IMAX so may need to make it a point to see it...
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

It'll just go to both now. The HBO model isn't going anywhere. HBO pays for those movies and the studios aren't going to turn that $$$ down. The timing might be different, but TG:M will find its way to HBO eventually.

Gotcha. I figured if a studio has its own streaming service, it would want to make a movie exclusive to maximize subscriptions, but if HBO/Netflix/etc want to drop enough cash for a certain movie then smoke em if you got em.
country
AG
So what's the final guesses for domestic original run? Looks like we have about 30 more days and the iMax release is sure to give a huge boost. $50M more? That would plant it around 5 or 6 all time domestic.
TCTTS
AG
TXAG 05 said:

TCTTS said:

Gotcha. I figured if a studio has its own streaming service, it would want to make a movie exclusive to maximize subscriptions, but if HBO/Netflix/etc want to drop enough cash for a certain movie then smoke em if you got em.

It's definitely more complicated now, and yeah, certain movies may stay only on their parent company's streaming service, but a lot of the bigger ones will still get the HBO treatment. It might just be after, say, 18 months instead of after only 9 months since it left theaters, and maybe for not as long.
The Porkchop Express
Taking my 74-year-old Dad to see Maverick today. He took me to see my first movie in 1977, a little film called Star Wars.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Taking my 74-year-old Dad to see Maverick today. He took me to see my first movie in 1977, a little film called Star Wars.
That's awesome. And he gets to see "Star Wars" again, only this time with F/A-18s and no Force.
#FJB
Decay
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

helloimustbegoing said:

That's awesome. And he gets to see "Star Wars" again, only this time with F/A-18s and no Force.

Look there's no way they survived that mission without the Force
bthotugigem05
AG
Right, The Force is just plot armor.
maroon barchetta
Then they stole a Tie Fighter just like Poe and Finn.
maroon man
S
Someone mentioned that Top Gun Maverick may return to IMAX in August? I've searched for that news and nothing yet but it would be AWESOME!

bthotugigem05
AG
TCTTS is the only news source we need.
Bunk Moreland

SJEAg
AG
Bonus footage?!
Chipotlemonger
AG
SJEAg said:

Bonus footage?!
Know Your Enemy
AG
SJEAg said:

Bonus footage?!
More like boner footage, amirite?
Squadron7
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

SJEAg said:

Bonus footage?!

That reminds me of Ace of Spades HQ's five word review of the movie "300".

"I got that many boners."
The Collective
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

SJEAg said:

Bonus footage?!

Yoda
AG
This November, looks like Hangman (Glen Powell) will be going back in time to fight in the Korean War.

I'm in.

ArmyAg2002
AG
Devotion looks like it will be good. I think the success of TopGun will help. My sons were both excited and one asked if it would be like TopGun.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Devotion is made for people like me. Corsairs, Bearcats, Skyraiders, MiGs ... oh my!
#FJB
country
AG
I just hope the CGI is limited but it doesn't look like it will be at all. The remake of Midway was not good IMO because of the lack of realism with the CGI. What makes Top Gun so good is the lack of of all of that and the real world footage. It's not even the computer generated stuff within the jets or the legions of aircraft in the air that bother me. It's the CG background as well. If they would just go film on site and fill in with CG it would be fine, but building an entire movie from it just doesn't look good.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think the most impressive part about TG:M is that people don't think there's very much CGI in it (not saying you country, but people I talk to in general). There's a massive amount of CGI in TG:M.
schmendeler
AG
Rooster's mustache: CGI
SJEAg
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think the most impressive part about TG:M is that people don't think there's very much CGI in it (not saying you country, but people I talk to in general). There's a massive amount of CGI in TG:M.

Yeah, the best CGI is when you don't know it's there.
country
AG
Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. All it takes is filming real world stuff, editing it in a unique way, and adding some cg where needed. I really don't like it when the only thing real in a scene is the human actor.
bthotugigem05
AG
country said:

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. All it takes is filming real world stuff, editing it in a unique way, and adding some cg where needed. I really don't like it when the only thing real in a scene is the human actor.
I was picking up what you were putting down, it just got me thinking about other people who had no idea there was any CGI in it, sorry if that came across differently.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
country said:

I just hope the CGI is limited but it doesn't look like it will be at all. The remake of Midway was not good IMO because of the lack of realism with the CGI. What makes Top Gun so good is the lack of of all of that and the real world footage. It's not even the computer generated stuff within the jets or the legions of aircraft in the air that bother me. It's the CG background as well. If they would just go film on site and fill in with CG it would be fine, but building an entire movie from it just doesn't look good.
The problem with Midway regarding the CGI is that of all those aircraft depicted in that movie, there are very few flying examples remaining. Some, like the torpedo bombers, none at all. So how are you going to make that particular movie? Models is the obvious answer (and Christopher Nolan proved that models can still be used to great effect).

With Top Gun/Maverick, they had access to real aircraft, and yes, the result was a better depiction of aerial combat and maneuvers because it was real. In this Devotion movie, those Corsairs and Bearcats look to be real in some shots, while in many others, obvious CGI.
#FJB
bthotugigem05
AG
The F-18s were the only real aircraft in TG:M
SJEAg
AG
Something about Midway just seemed off. Maybe too much going on, so the brain basically clicks that it must be CGI. Pearl Harbor was better IMO although some of that was the same way.
country
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

country said:

The problem with Midway regarding the CGI is that of all those aircraft depicted in that movie, there are very few flying examples remaining. Some, like the torpedo bombers, none at all. So how are you going to make that particular movie? Models is the obvious answer (and Christopher Nolan proved that models can still be used to great effect).

With Top Gun/Maverick, they had access to real aircraft, and yes, the result was a better depiction of aerial combat and maneuvers because it was real. In this Devotion movie, those Corsairs and Bearcats look to be real in some shots, while in many others, obvious CGI.
My dislike of Midway wasn't the CGI aircraft. Like I said earlier, it is that the only thing real in any aerial scene was the actor. The background, the ocean, the clouds, all of it was CGI, or at least there was so much of it that I couldn't tell what was real.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.