*****Official THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Thread*****

291,821 Views | 3004 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it doesnt have mara jade and her love interest, what's the damn point?
The Debt
Alexander Skarsgard is also 6'4" so he definitely has the tall, thin look we would hope to see.
Gladiator 96
AG
Max Power said:

Is it weird that I was more geeked about seeing Michael Biehn than anything this episode?
Did you catch his line about "The quarrel is not with you Mandalorian "? I didn't know it was Michael Biehn until I heard that line.
The Debt
A little disappointed he didnt suggest they nuke the site from orbit....just to be sure.
Dro07
AG
No but I was kind of half expecting her to light up a red saber honestly.
dave94
AG
dromo07 said:

No but I was kind of half expecting her to light up a red saber honestly.

I definitely thought she might be a sith when she stood there ready to battle.

Especially given "where is your master?"
jeffk
AG
Dang. That was classic Kurosawa.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Max Power said:

Is it weird that I was more geeked about seeing Michael Biehn than anything this episode?
Did you catch his line about "The quarrel is not with you Mandalorian "? I didn't know it was Michael Biehn until I heard that line.

Haha, same here. Read he was in it but forgot until I heard that line. Love it!
twilly
AG
jeffk said:

Dang. That was classic Kurosawa.
Said the same thing to my wife while we were watching this morning.
mazag08
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Who would you pick to play a live-action Thrawn? I actually think Paul Bettany would do a great job. Not sure if he perfectly matches the look, but I think his demeanor would work well.

Bettany was spent in Solo

Do what has always made too much damn sense.

Benedict Cumberbatch.

I've been saying that since Thrawn was only a book character.

The Debt
Cumberbatch can be a little too wooden. You need someone who can pull off smooth. BC dancing to music in the OR in Dr Strange was super cringy, he doesnt do sauve. People get mesmerized by a british accent...he doesnt fit the role.
Saxsoon
AG
I think Jason Isaac would really help capture it as I think on his Lucius Malfoy.
mazag08
AG
He'd be playing the greatest imperial mind, the supreme strategist, the guys who is always 3 steps ahead and so calculated. The guy who appreciates fine art and delicacies while his troops carry outs bloodshed.

I don't need a guy who can dance. That's now Thrawn.
Ag Since 83
AG
Fassbender
Fat Bib Fortuna
In a moment of pure Star Wars dad bliss while watching it a second time with my family, as the two guards tell Mando that the Magistrate wants to see him, my 8-year-old daughter says, "Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this."
TCTTS
AG
As someone who's seen hardly any of the animated stuff, save for the last four episodes of The Clone Wars, even for me, that was, quite possibly, the best Star Wars *anything* since Rogue One.

Just... wow.

I'm not super familiar with Ahsoka, but familiar enough that I was worried that translating her to live action was going to look more like a Halloween costume; that, as perfect as the Rasario Dawson casting seemingly was, she would just look... off... or, at 41 years old, wouldn't have any action scenes, etc. But I could not have been more wrong or more impressed. Dawson was INCREDIBLE in the role, to the point where I absolutely need the live-action Ahsoka spin-off briefly speculated about in the latest ScreenCrush video (which I'll embed below). Dawson not only looked the part and came across as incredibly authentic/naturalistic, but she killed it on the action front as well. I really wasn't expecting that level of prep or fight training for what we got. Overall, the character as portrayed was just so good, so believable, and so damn cool. I'm floored by how well she was translated to live action, in every way.

Before this episode, I expected Ahsoka to be around for these last few episodes of season two, so I'm a little disappointed that this looks to be her only season two appearance (though I could be wrong). But if so, this episode alone was far more than I could have hoped for, and, again, really did feel like a backdoor pilot/setup for a new series, which surely has to be in the works. To that end, I'm betting Thrawn would be in *that* show, and not in this one, but who knows. I honestly have no idea where any of this is headed after this season.

As for the rest of this episode, even outside of the Ahsoka of it all, it was BEAUTIFULLY shot - I loved the lighting/cinematography - and it felt so special and so different from any of the other episodes so far. Echoing what others here have said, THIS is what I've been waiting for from this series, and this is probably the first episode I'll watch multiple times.

As a final note, for those speculating who the next Jedi might be, and when we might see him/her, I wouldn't hold your breath for this season. To me at least, this episode felt like our Jedi quota for the season. In fact, if I was the showrunner outlining the rest of the season, after seeing this episode, IMO, the perfect season two ending/cliffhanger would be Mando fighting through hell over the next three episodes to get Grogu atop the seeing stone on Tython, and once he finally does, we slowly pull back on an epic, widening shot of Grogu atop the mountain - a pivotal decision to be made - and we CUT TO BLACK. In fact, I would bet just about anything that's essentially how the season ends.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
Rumor of Disney casting a live-action Thrawn first appeared way back in the summer.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/06/rumor-disney-casting-live-action-grand-admiral-thrawn.html
PatAg
AG
The Debt said:

redline248 said:

texasaggie04 said:

Who would you pick to play a live-action Thrawn? I actually think Paul Bettany would do a great job. Not sure if he perfectly matches the look, but I think his demeanor would work well.
Jason Isaacs always plays a pretty good villain.

Isaacs would certainly keep up the tradition of imperials being british.

But thrawn isnt a normal imperial according to the expanded universe, which has a much better story than the sequel trilogy, Thrawn is the only alien to ascend the ranks of the imperial navy. The emperor distrusts non-humans, yet Thrawn is so calculating, brilliant, and ruthless that even the emperor could not discard him.

I suggest folks pick up the Timothy Zahn trilogy (probably $.99 used on amazon) and see what SW could have looked like if Disney had the foresight to license these stories.
THIS should have been the sequel trilogy
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

Never seen his videos before...really interesting, informative stuff. But I'm way over cheeky video inserts trying to be funny. Ugh.
Max Power
AG
If they are bringing out Thrawn it feels like it's gotta be in movies, not The Mandalorian. Perhaps he'll be the villain for the Rian Johnson trilogy that's in development.

Casting wise I think Jon Hamm would be awesome. In Mad Men he was always intense, didn't have to say much, like he was always keeping so much close to the chest. Alexander Skarsgaard I agree would be a good choice as well. Anthony Starr, who plays Homelander in The Boys, could kill it as well, he's so damn good in The Boys and we know can pull off being a villain.
Fat Bib Fortuna
In the wake of social/cultural events of this past summer, the role of Grand Admiral Thrawn will be played by a half-black, half-Asian transgender person in a wheelchair.
The Debt
MuckRaker96 said:

In the wake of social/cultural events of this past summer, the role of Grand Admiral Thrawn will be played by a half-black, half-Asian transgender person in a wheelchair.

Seems like there is only one obvious choice...

Kirk Lazarus
amercer
AG
Will Smith is pretty good at blueface
redline248
AG
Btw, probably mentioned in that video, another shout out to KOTOR with the HK assassin droids. All I needed was one to call Mando a meatbag.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Grogu & the Samurais
The Debt
Max Power said:

If they are bringing out Thrawn it feels like it's gotta be in movies, not The Mandalorian. Perhaps he'll be the villain for the Rian Johnson trilogy that's in development.

Casting wise I think Jon Hamm would be awesome. In Mad Men he was always intense, didn't have to say much, like he was always keeping so much close to the chest. Alexander Skarsgaard I agree would be a good choice as well. Anthony Starr, who plays Homelander in The Boys, could kill it as well, he's so damn good in The Boys and we know can pull off being a villain.

Jon hamm. That's a fun idea.

The only problem with starr is his face is wide. Now I'm not going to get into a pissing match over character descriptions from the EU, but thrawn is suppose to look slender. It's hard to sell cunning with a hutt face. You want someone who looks cold and calculating, so a slender face pulls that off.

For example, from another blue look, it doesnt matter how many times the movie says "beast is super intelligent", "smartest character", "best inventor", this face just doesnt convey it:

Instead you want a good angular face that looks like a blade.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently rocking a 9.7 on imdb, far away the the best rated episode of Mandalorian.

I do have to echo Muck's sentiment about there suddenly being another lightsaber resistant metal in the galaxy we never heard about before.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Currently rocking a 9.7 on imdb, far away the the best rated episode of Mandalorian.

I do have to echo Muck's sentiment about there suddenly being another lightsaber resistant metal in the galaxy we never heard about before.

Beskar isnt new nor is its resistance to lightsaber strikes new.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was it an EU thing? I mean new before this show.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes.

But the show keeps talking about how jedi and mandalors were ancient enemies. How would any group have a sustained war vs jedi if not able to defend against jedi weapons?
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was mentioned in rebels, but it was also frequently in the eu.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Beskar is all over the EU thanks to the brilliance of author Karen Traviss who basically invented the entire culture over a couple of different series of books. You can read a good history of the armor here:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-history-of-mandalorian-armor

Still, he's got Beskar, Bo Katan and her associates have Beskar, Jawas found Beskar lying in the desert, random bad chick has pure Beskar stick, etc.

A new favorite has emerged in the race to play Thrawn.

Fat Bib Fortuna
Very cool story about the actress who played Magistrate Morgan Elsbeth.

Diana Lee Inosanto is the daughter of well-known martial arts instructor, Dan Inosanto and Sue Ann Reveal and also known for being the godchild of Bruce Lee. Her father is best known as the training partner of Lee, whom he also taught the art of wielding nunchaku, a traditional Okinawan martial arts weapon. He appeared in small roles in many films starring Lee, up until his final film, Game of Death. Dan was a constant companion of Lee throughout the 1960s, accompanying him on TV shows and movie sets.
Diana continues her family's legacy as a stuntwoman and a world-class martial artist apart from being an actress, writer, and director. She also took to Instagram to excitedly gush about her cameo as Morgan Elsbeth.
Quote:

"What a galaxy of change! I'm wowed how the planets and the stars aligned and I received this opportunity to express myself as an actor...as an artist. I'm just so excited by this meaningful episode. (It was the hardest and most glorious secret I had to keep for so long). I'm extremely grateful & deeply humbled at this moment. (It's overwhelming! I'm so honored to have worked with this amazing cast and crew.) As a lifelong #StarWars 'fan girl', I've cried me an ocean of joy (maybe even the size of the planet Kamino) And to have my childhood dream fulfilled! I'm feeling the true essence of gratitude. Mabuhay! May the Force be with You!"
jeffk
AG
That's really cool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.