*****Official THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Thread*****

291,512 Views | 3004 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
combat wombat said:

It wasn't a bad episode, and it had its moments, but it was definitely was not what I was hoping for from the next-to-last episode of the season.
I think the biggest takeaway - and this sort of answers a post above - is that he will totally "compromise" his creed for Grogu. He is definitely softening on the whole helmet thing. Seemed like that step in his character got lost a little in the episode, though.
jbryan10
AG
redline248 said:

combat wombat said:

It wasn't a bad episode, and it had its moments, but it was definitely was not what I was hoping for from the next-to-last episode of the season.
I think the biggest takeaway - and this sort of answers a post above - is that he will totally "compromise" his creed for Grogu. He is definitely softening on the whole helmet thing. Seemed like that step in his character got lost a little in the episode, though.
One could even say his character has developed.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
I thought there was some solid character development from Mando this episode. Also, Bill Burr was nails. Did not know he could act like that. He was able to really sell his emotion with his eyes during the scene at the table.
The Collective
AG
I enjoyed it, expect we are about to get mind blown.
jokershady
AG
Haven't read a thing....i always have to wait until Friday evening/ Saturday morning to watch with the family.

Kills me that y'all have seen what happens already!
AggieDub14
AG
Bo Katan pointed out to Mando that the helmet thing isn't something modern Mandalorians do.

Bill Burr monologues about how everyone has their rules they follow, until circumstances require them to break them.

Something tells me Mando is going to leave the old way behind by the end of season 3. Might be a tied to Bo Katan and her plot line of retaking Mandalore.

Would be cool to see Mando reclaim the dark saber in the season 2 finale and S3 is all about finding Bo Katan and helping to reclaim Mandalore.

Excited for next week. They've done a great job with Boba Fett and sniper lady from S1.
boogieman
AG
78_Pacecar said:

I know it's a small detail, but seeing the inside of Slave 1 rotate into position while the central platform holds steady on gyro is fulfilling to me.
Same here! Took me a second to realize what was going on, then there was a sweet smile on my face.
gougler08
AG
bluefire579 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I was worried they'd be found out after fighting the pirates because Mando was too competent a stormtrooper

Also, nice data security, Empire. Any old face will do
I was thinking the same thing. "Confirmed, you do in fact have a face. Here's some classified data."

This was actually the only thing that really bothered me in the whole episode...wasn't the whole point of Burr's character coming to make sure he could access the terminal? Unless there is some background to Mando working with imperials at some time in his past, but that seems like a stretch
AggieDub14
AG
gougler08 said:

bluefire579 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I was worried they'd be found out after fighting the pirates because Mando was too competent a stormtrooper

Also, nice data security, Empire. Any old face will do
I was thinking the same thing. "Confirmed, you do in fact have a face. Here's some classified data."

This was actually the only thing that really bothered me in the whole episode...wasn't the whole point of Burr's character coming to make sure he could access the terminal? Unless there is some background to Mando working with imperials at some time in his past, but that seems like a stretch

He worked with them to find the child at the beginning of the series. Bounty hunters don't care who they work for. They needed Burr to figure out how to get in. He understands the lingo and mannerisms of the imps. Without him they would have been caught. He also knew where the terminal was.
jeffk
AG
Did I spy a Lasat prisoner working in the scrap yards there at the beginning?
CajunAg97
AG
Loved the cycler rifle....just like in the Battlefront games and the Tusken Raiders!
Fat Bib Fortuna
The imp officer has a history of playing cold-hearted villains.

TXTransplant
I really enjoyed that episode...especially the theme of redemption at the end when Mayfeld blew up the refinery. I wish he'd stayed with the group though. I was disappointed when they left him behind.

I also think Pedro Pascal did a great job of conveying how uncomfortable and vulnerable Mando feels without his armor and helmet.

Pascal is doing a great job in this role, but I still can't help but think that his physical appearance is not what I expected when I first started watching. I think it's the voice, though. In my head his face just doesn't match the voice, even though I know it's altered by the armor and helmet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TPS reports
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
God, that seismic charge is one of the sexiest sounds ever.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lathspell
AG
I thought this episode was SO much better than the last episode.
  • Much better action
  • Big character moment for Mando
  • Great addition of character depth for Migs, which was very unexpected.
  • Seeing Fett with new paint on his armor looked great.
  • Good scene with the officer in the mess
  • Very cool to actually cheer to see Tie fighters and storm troopers

This was probably my 3rd favorite episode of the season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree, I loved it. And man Bill Burr can act.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho
Probably my favorite episode so far
CoachRTM
AG
I love Bill Burr, and this is by FAR the best acting he's ever done. He was fantastic.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
That scene at the table would have made Tarantino proud. That was intense with some outstanding acting.

And although Pascal didn't really say/do much, he conveyed so much about how badly he felt not wearing his helmet. He was just so out of it as to be almost useless.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My mind immediately went to Inglorious Basterds in that scene.
thejavelina
I really give props to Pedro Pascal's acting. It's great because what he doesn't do. His restraint at the table made the scene. He's the straight man to Bill Burr and it grounds it into reality.
Red Five
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I think Bill Burr might have just won himself an emmy. Damn.

I thought the same thing, incredible performance by Bill.

Although he was basically just playing himself in the scene in the juggernaut. The whole time he was talking I was just imagining him arguing with his wife having to get the last word in on Elvis stealing from black people.
Saxsoon
AG
jbryan10 said:

redline248 said:

combat wombat said:

One could even say his character has developed.

Convincingly
exitone
AG
I think the finale will be heavy Grogu. We are going to see flashbacks to explain his past a bit more, and we are going to see a flashback to just before he was taken by the Imperials. We will be able to see the Jedi and the conversation he had with him. I would love it if it was Luke. He wouldn't say come find me, but Luke could very well point him to another Jedi.

And thinking about Ahsoka, I would think she would need at least one more appearance on Mando before she takes her own show. If I remember right, doesn't Mando Season 3 and Ahsoka Season 1 both air in Fall 2021? If Mando starts before Ahsoka, then we would probably see her then. Otherwise, I think she would have to make another appearance next week. Don't think they will happen though.
TXAG 05
AG
TXTransplant said:

I really enjoyed that episode...especially the theme of redemption at the end when Mayfeld blew up the refinery. I wish he'd stayed with the group though. I was disappointed when they left him behind.

I also think Pedro Pascal did a great job of conveying how uncomfortable and vulnerable Mando feels without his armor and helmet.

Pascal is doing a great job in this role, but I still can't help but think that his physical appearance is not what I expected when I first started watching. I think it's the voice, though. In my head his face just doesn't match the voice, even though I know it's altered by the armor and helmet.

I agree with that. I didn't know what he looked like prior to him taking his helmet off in last years season finale. Definitely not what I expected.
ChipFTAC01
AG
From a Star Wars fan standpoint and an engineering standpoint that was awesome.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I watched it twice and didn't see a Lasat.
TCTTS
AG
INCREDIBLE episode!

Easily the second best episode of the entire series for me, just behind the Ahsoka episode.

Mando's ideals were finally challenged in thematic fashion that led to a legit crises of identity (quite literally, as he stood at that terminal), along with tangible character action (finally removing his helmet in front of people in order to do what needed to be done) that led to legit development. Then, using Gideon's own words against him there at the end, Mando's character arc was given a brilliant and perfect exclamation point to drive it all home.

It was all just so damn good.

Speaking of themes...

Freedom vs Order!

That *one* line better-summarized the entire thematic struggle of this franchise better than ANY of the three trilogies before it, even the OT. I seriously got chills during that sinister little soliloquy, to the point where I couldn't believe that particular, all-encompassing theme has never been expressed so eloquently and so effectively to make that exact point.

We also got...

Redemption!

Badass action!

Some of the overall best effects of the entire series!

Mando taken out of his comfort zone (and into a trooper uniform)!

TPS reports!

And, finally, if there's one thing I learned (or, relearned, rather) this episode is that EVERY iteration of Star Wars needs some version of what Bill Burr's character brought to this episode. Be it him or Han in the OT, Star Wars works so much better when there's a smart-ass questioning this world and playfully chiding the heroes we root for. Otherwise, we get the self-serious prequels in all their stilted glory, or even certain, wooden episodes of this very series. And yet, Burr was not only essential, as others have said, he was flat out amazing in this episode in terms of his performance as well. I too was really hoping he joined the team full-time there at the end.

Between yesterday's announcements, and this series finally seemingly having turned a corner in the past few episodes from fun, somewhat-mindless fan service, to legit great writing... man, I haven't been this excited for the future of the franchise in a long, long time.

This is the way!

wangus12
AG
exitone said:

I think the finale will be heavy Grogu. We are going to see flashbacks to explain his past a bit more, and we are going to see a flashback to just before he was taken by the Imperials. We will be able to see the Jedi and the conversation he had with him. I would love it if it was Luke. He wouldn't say come find me, but Luke could very well point him to another Jedi.

And thinking about Ahsoka, I would think she would need at least one more appearance on Mando before she takes her own show. If I remember right, doesn't Mando Season 3 and Ahsoka Season 1 both air in Fall 2021? If Mando starts before Ahsoka, then we would probably see her then. Otherwise, I think she would have to make another appearance next week. Don't think they will happen though.

I think one of my main concerns with all the Star Wars stuff is I don't trust anybody except Filoni with producing them. He's got a **** ton of work to do
YouBet
AG
Three things:

1. Mask Compliance: Bill Burr's comment on how much better you will feel if you remove the mask is directly attributive to current culture. He's counter culture and hates authority and his real life personality was exhibited in this episode. Give me more of him!

2. TPS Reports: Funny; already commented on.

3. The First Order: can't believe this hasn't been mentioned but we got our first connection between the Empire and the First Order in this episode during the conversation between Burr, Mando, and the Imperial Officer. The IO directly mentions all that matters to people is "ORDER" and that's whats coming.

What was seemingly a throw away episode was really so much more.
Duncan Idaho
You might want to jump to 5:00 on this

YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

You might want to jump to 5:00 on this

And he still made a comment about how freeing it is to not wear one....in this episode.

That's all I'm saying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.