*****Official THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Thread*****

282,107 Views | 3004 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

If you weren't comparing it to the real Mark Hamill I wonder how many folks would've even noticed that it wasn't an actor.
If you rewatched it 7 or 8 times like a normal person, the mouth didn't look perfectly synched to the dialogue. That's why no one was asking what actor they found to play Luke.
DallasTeleAg
I don't think you will ever get passed the uncanny valley with that kind of thing. If we ever had the technology to do it, it would be now.
YouBet
AG
Harry Lime said:

Quote:

If you weren't comparing it to the real Mark Hamill I wonder how many folks would've even noticed that it wasn't an actor.
If you rewatched it 7 or 8 times like a normal person, the mouth didn't look perfectly synched to the dialogue. That's why no one was asking what actor they found to play Luke.

I've only watched it once and it was obviously cgi to me. Need to watch again but it was the movements of his face. They weren't natural.

The deep fake stuff I've seen online like with Arnold is the first cgi tech I've seen that could possibly fool me. Tech is definitely getting there. Scary as hell but will be fascinating to see it in entertainment world.

And that Sebastian Stan to Luke conversion posted previously is pretty incredible.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

Harry Lime said:

Quote:

I've only watched it once and it was obviously cgi to me. Need to watch again but it was the movements of his face. They weren't natural.

The deep fake stuff I've seen online like with Arnold is the first cgi tech I've seen that could possibly fool me. Tech is definitely getting there. Scary as hell but will be fascinating to see it in entertainment world.

And that Sebastian Stan to Luke conversion posted previously is pretty incredible.

You can usually tell in the eyes and around the chin. The eyes will look dead, like they aren't reacting to the lights in the room, and the face always looks just a bit off center of the chin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CJEou1bD0Zc
fig96
AG
Harry Lime said:

Quote:

No one was asking who they got to play Luke because it looked exactly like Luke

And you'd actually be surprised how the mouth moves relative to dialogue in real life.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

And you'd actually be surprised how the mouth moves relative to dialogue in real life.
I'd love to see someone talk in real life.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Saber blades are too thin.
Gangnam Style
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I can't wait for Ahsoka to meet Luke. **** will be so emotional.
cbr
AG
Wgaf about cgi!?

The important thing is - this appears to mean that the ****ty recent movies were just some padowan's nightmare, never happened and we can get a do over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have a theory that the lack of concept art at the end of the finale was to prevent any and all possibility of that art leaking before the episode aired.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've been watching a ton of reaction videos on YouTube, and this one from a tiny no-name channel is probably my favorite so far. No lighting, no background setup, just a random middle-aged mother who is so excited to see this and cries.

"They just brought back my childhood."

heddleston
AG
I'm playing it on my iPhone. It's works pretty well but anytime someone from my party is close to me I accidentally tap on them to talk with me and that's annoying. I don't care about your problems, Carth. there is controller support to avoid that problem , but you still have to interact with the screen a lot
Rudyjax
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've been watching a ton of reaction videos on YouTube, and this one from a tiny no-name channel is probably my favorite so far. No lighting, no background setup, just a random middle-aged mother who is so excited to see this and cries.

"They just brought back my childhood."

This is why they ****ed up marginalizing Luke in the sequels.

Philip J Fry
AG
Has anyone watched the gallery episode where they talk about the LED screen technology behind the show? Holy cow. I cannot believe my eyes. So many outdoor shots have actually just been on stage. Groundbreaking stuff.
redline248
AG
Probably most of us
Decay
AG
ALL HAIL THE VOLUME
Malachi Constant
AG
Can't get over how well this music captures the scene. Like equal parts despair and hope inside the show.

But outside the show there's a cathartic feeling you get listening: like it's been 30 years and it's finally here. Luke Skywalker.

YouBet
AG
Y'all wanna talk about CGI again?
Flashdiaz
AG
I heard Mando was going to be in KOTOR 3 : )

About the ending... have to say a couple of episodes back that I thought this season would end in the traditional middle story type ending where it's bleak and we wonder if our heroes will make it. Well, we were wrong. It ends well for our heroes while still have enough loose ends to propel the story further. And it gave us Luke being badass as well.

Not to pile on but this is how you subvert expectations while telling a good story and not just being a contrarian Rian.
TCTTS
AG

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-the-mandalorians-finale-reveal-fits-into-star-wars-1845927926
TCTTS
AG
Something sure to ignite discussion. A fantastic thread...

fig96
AG
I was reading this earlier today, super interesting take.

*popcorn gif*
redline248
AG
I have zero interest in trying to tie anything to TLJ
YouBet
AG
redline248 said:

I have zero interest in trying to tie anything to TLJ
Me too but that twitter thread does a good job of fitting Luke's appearance in Mando into the overall canon that currently includes TLJ. It may be retcon wishful thinking by the author, but it's a plausible take to tie it all together.
Malachi Constant
AG
TCTTS said:

Something sure to ignite discussion. A fantastic thread...

I was totally against this till I got to this tweet:

heddleston
AG
I was never mad that Luke was the way he was in TLJ. I was mad that after not seeing Luke on screen in 35 years we fastforwarded to Luke being like that. We skipped a decade of the Jedi I cared about most being what we always dreamed of: a dang Jedi Master wrecking mofos left and right.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouTube keeps blocking my video for using the Rogue One soundtrack, so I used an alternate hosting site. Look set to the Vader hallway music and end with Princess Leia music.

https://streamable.com/ltd3ah
Micah97
AG
Luke could have come to that conclusion without being the whiny ***** he portrayed in TLJ.
Teslag
AG
Kinda weird that two Trade Federation Droidekas can stalemate two Jedi, one being a master, and later on one Jedi master can effortlessly take out an entire platoon of dark troopers.
bluefire579
AG
Droidekas had shields, and judging by the situation at the beginning of TPM, that was probably the first time they faced off against them. In the Clone Wars cartoon, they seemed to have little trouble with them, after fighting them more often.
Teslag
AG
How many times had Luke faced a platoon of dark troopers?
israeliag
AG
Rewatching that reminded me how one of the clues it was Luke was his saber fighting style. It is so influenced by the OT saber style - a heavy, two handed sword like maneuvering - as opposed the light, swift style from the PTs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bluefire579 said:

Droidekas had shields, and judging by the situation at the beginning of TPM, that was probably the first time they faced off against them. In the Clone Wars cartoon, they seemed to have little trouble with them, after fighting them more often.
They are a huge ***** to fight in the original Battlefront. Sorry, ZJS, didn't mean to derail this thread with video game talk!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.