*****Official THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Thread*****

283,369 Views | 3004 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, the acting in this episode might have been the worst in the whole series.

That being said, it's still wildly entertaining and I'm loving this show.
jeffk
AG
Are those blue cookies made using blue milk?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Not a Star Wars fan boy. But I like good writing / acting, and science fiction in general. But starting to feel like this season is just focusing on Easter eggs and references to stuff that the non fan boys just aren't picking up and leaving the important stuff behind (quality writing and acting).

Blue guy is a train wreck. Carl Weathers acting seemed on par with his Billy Madison efforts this last episode.

Need to move the story along. It's hard to star interested in the monster of the week episodes if you don't care about Easter eggs and call backs to animated Star Wars characters.
gcracker13
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Not a Star Wars fan boy. But I like good writing / acting, and science fiction in general. But starting to feel like this season is just focusing on Easter eggs and references to stuff that the non fan boys just aren't picking up and leaving the important stuff behind (quality writing and acting).

Blue guy is a train wreck. Carl Weathers acting seemed on par with his Billy Madison efforts this last episode.

Need to move the story along. It's hard to star interested in the monster of the week episodes if you don't care about Easter eggs and call backs to animated Star Wars characters.

I second the majority of this opinion
jeffk
AG
I think if they would have been a little more heavy handed in the reveal of the lab experiments and the black suits at the end, more people would have a more favorable opinion of the episode. I get they were trying to be subtle and clever with it, but the show does rely heavily on insider knowledge for some of the major reveals.
TCTTS
AG
EPISODE 09
Mando: "I need that Mandalorian armor."
Cobb Vanth: "Okay, but first you need to help us kill the Krayt Dragon, THEN I'll give you the armor."
Mando: "Ugh. Deal."

EPISODE 10
Mando: "I need to know where the other Mandalorians are."
Peli Motto: "Okay, but first you need to transport Frog Lady to her husband, THEN her husband will tell you where they are."

EPISODE 11
Mando: "I need you to tell me where I can find the Jedi."
Bo-Katan: "Okay, but first you need to help us raid an Imperial cargo ship, THEN I'll tell you where the Jedi is."

EPISODE 12
Mando: "I need my ship repaired."
Greef Karga: "Okay, but first you need to help us destroy an Imperial base, THEN, by the time we finish, your ship will be ready."

It's just getting so old at this point, the exact same plot dynamic week after week, the first four episodes of the season.

Again, for the most part, I can enjoy the episodes when I'm able to watch them through the eyes of a 12-year-old kid, which I can do for maybe half each episode (or maybe two thirds, when it's something like episode 11). But overall I echo the sentiments that the acting is often subpar, the dialogue is often bad, and the writing, overall, often isn't very good. There's next to no character development, no real thematic thrust, and the plot advancement is so incremental that we're past "mildly frustrating" and into "full-on aggravating" territory at this point. And for those us like Ol_Ag_02, the only satisfaction we get from the easter eggs are in watching the ScreenCrush videos after the fact. It's not something we're responding to in-episode.

Now that we're venturing past what the trailers set up, and heading into Ahsoka/Jedi land, I'm just really, really hoping we're finally past the "I need [X]" "Okay, but first we need [Y]" dynamic of each episode. This show is at its best when there's a central, team-oriented goal across multiple episodes, with Moff Gideon standing in the way, like the latter part of the first season. And now, with Mando, Gideon, and hopefully Bo-Katan all converging with Ahsoka, that's exactly what we get over the second half of the season.
Dro07
AG
It's a modern day 80s show like the ATeam but with Star Wars.
ChipFTAC01
AG
They're the special Life Day limited edition blue milk chocolate covered Oreos.
CajunAg97
AG
Ol_Ag_02
AG
PatAg said:

To address the "fanboy shoutouts", if you weren't reading this thread you wouldn't know they were happening.

It's starting to feel like they're sacrificing plot and character development to shoehorn in Easter eggs. Hell. I don't even know what the big deal is about the railing.

Get back to what made most of season one fantastic. Or just start putting a disclaimer on the title page that says, "If you've never waited in line for a Star Wars movie or dressed up in character, the Mandalorian may not be your thing."
powerbelly
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

PatAg said:

To address the "fanboy shoutouts", if you weren't reading this thread you wouldn't know they were happening.

It's starting to feel like they're sacrificing plot and character development to shoehorn in Easter eggs. Hell. I don't even know what the big deal is about the railing.

Get back to what made most of season one fantastic. Or just start putting a disclaimer on the title page that says, "If you've never waited in line for a Star Wars movie or dressed up in character, the Mandalorian may not be your thing."

I cant believe how much some of you expect from a Star Wars show. The whole thing is mindless entertainment at best.
bearamedic99
AG
I'm only on season 2 of Clone Wars but if Ahsoka is going to be in this show, shouldn't Mando run into someone who can give background on why Ahsoka is so special?
Btron
AG
Thank you Ol Ag 02, you put it better than I did but summed it up perfectly.
I'm still dialed in. I have two daughters < 6 yrs and they absolutely love baby Yoda. So this is a very do able show for me and then. So as long as BY is in the show, we're dialing in.
PatAg
AG
Feel like part of the problem is the best actor, by far, is completely encased in a suit of armor basically.

I don't think Carl Weathers or Gina Carano would ever be accused of being good at acting.

I think anyone not enjoying this show is just wanting it to be more than it is. They aren't wrong for wanting that, but that's now what the show is in my opinion
PatAg
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

PatAg said:

I don't get any of the easter eggs as I watch the show. What's the difference between something being an easter egg and something that helps invest the show in the star wars universe.

That's how this show should be viewed.
The visuals and action are pretty great, the story is pretty straightforward (with a chance to become more), and its a chance to see more of the universe than the narrow bit the trilogies showed us.

What's different from season one to this seasons, it's the same show and the same formula so far.
TCTTS
AG
I'm honestly shocked that we're 12 episodes in and the lead is *still* behind a mask. It's kind of insane, especially considering Pascal's popularity. One of the most interesting things the show has done was in episode 11 when the other Mandalorians removed their helmets, questioned Mando's extremism, and referred to his sect as zealots. That was the first inkling we got of Mando potentially questioning himself and his beliefs, which could lead to legit, actual character development, hopefully no more helmet, etc. I'm *really* hoping they go down that path, otherwise it's just going to be more of the same.
texasaggie04
AG
TCTTS said:

It's just getting so old at this point, the exact same plot dynamic week after week, the first four weeks of the season.

Feels a lot to me like how Agents of SHIELD started during its infancy. Lots of stories of the week that connected to the larger picture but it didn't have its own story to tell.
texasaggie04
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Also, I'll go ahead and throw out my worst fear and possible spoiler - Is Asokha going to die defending Baby Yoda from Moff Gideon? It seems likely they will be on Corvus for a while and get traced there.

Well, we have to assume she's going to die at some point. Wasn't her voice one of the Force ghosts at the end of episode 9?
PatAg
AG
Just to be clear, not saying anyone is wrong for not liking it. I just think, from whas has been said, some are expecting the wrong things from the show.

Maybe I just already lowered my expectations of what it could do, and am just happy to get something that is good at what it DOES do
CajunAg97
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm honestly shocked that we're 12 episodes in and the lead is *still* behind a mask. It's kind of insane, especially considering Pascal's popularity. One of the most interesting things the show has done was in episode 11 when the other Mandalorians removed their helmets, questioned Mando's extremism, and referred to his sect as zealots. That was the first inkling we got of Mando potentially questioning himself and his beliefs, which could lead to legit, actual character development, hopefully no more helmet, etc. I'm *really* hoping they go down that path, otherwise it's just going to be more of the same.
Agreed....would be perfect if he finally took it off and showed the child....and his first words were "DaDa"!
Saxsoon
AG
texasaggie04 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Also, I'll go ahead and throw out my worst fear and possible spoiler - Is Asokha going to die defending Baby Yoda from Moff Gideon? It seems likely they will be on Corvus for a while and get traced there.

Well, we have to assume she's going to die at some point. Wasn't her voice one of the Force ghosts at the end of episode 9?

Dave Filoni hinted that wasn't the case for her death
jeffk
AG
YouBet
AG
Few more episodes like that and Mando will be able to level up. Maybe his next level is a companion perk and he can upgrade BYs force powers.
Btron
AG
jeffk said:

That's like Starbucks cup on GOT
Schall 02
AG
My only complaint is the dialogue for characters other than Mando. Example: the talk inside the gunboat thing while running away from the base.
AggieDub14
AG
TCTTS said:

EPISODE 09
Mando: "I need that Mandalorian armor."
Cobb Vanth: "Okay, but first you need to help us kill the Krayt Dragon, THEN I'll give you the armor."

EPISODE 10
Mando: "I need to know where the other Mandalorians are."
Peli Motto: "Okay, but first you need to transport Frog Lady to her husband, THEN her husband will tell you where they are."

EPISODE 11
Mando: "I need you to tell me where I can find the Jedi."
Bo-Katan: "Okay, but first you need to help us raid an Imperial cargo ship, THEN I'll tell you where the Jedi is."

EPISODE 12
Mando: "I need my ship repaired."
Greef Karga: "Okay, but first you need to help us destroy an Imperial base, THEN, by the time we finish, your ship will be ready."

It's just getting so old at this point, the exact same plot dynamic week after week, the first four episodes of the season.

Again, for the most part, I can enjoy the episodes when I'm able to watch them through the eyes of a 12-year-old kid, which I can do for maybe half each episode (or maybe two thirds, when it's something like episode 11). But overall I echo the sentiments that the acting is often subpar, the dialogue is often bad, and the writing, overall, often isn't very good. There's next to no character development, no real thematic thrust, and the plot advancement is so incremental that we're past "mildly frustrating" and into "full-on aggravating" territory at this point. And for those us like Ol_Ag_02, the only satisfaction we get from the easter eggs are in watching the ScreenCrush videos after the fact. It's not something we're responding to in-episode.

Now that we're venturing past what the trailers set up, and heading into Ahsoka/Jedi land, I'm just really, really hoping we're finally past the "I need [X]" "Okay, but first we need [Y]" dynamic of each episode. This show is at its best when there's a central, team-oriented goal across multiple episodes, with Moff Gideon standing in the way, like the latter part of the first season. And now, with Mando, Gideon, and hopefully Bo-Katan all converging with Ahsoka, that's exactly what we get over the second half of the season.
Episodes 4, 5, and 6 of season 1 did the same thing. It's the formula for a filler episode in this show. But I'm not complaining. I've enjoyed them and they have all added something.

Episode 4 introduced a new character.

Episode 5 added some context with the bounty hunters guild and introduced the lady on tattoine.

Episode 6 introduced the new republic cops.

Episode 9 was awesome. It just was. And started the bread crumbs for season 2.

Episode 10 was lacking, but did expand on the New Republic stuff.

Episode 11...Bo Katan. Nuff said.

Episode 12 gave us an idea of what the Imps are doing with the child, but not enough info to really know.

When filler episodes are entertaining and actually provide some info, I'm okay with it.
PatAg
AG
Episode 12 also gave us some awesome dogfighting scenes, and a chase with speeder bikes. Thats enough for me, I'm a simple man
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

I have no problems with the Mando not showing his face except for the one time last season. And honestly think most people don't have any idea who Pedro Pascal is, or what he looks like, so him not showing his face is not deterring things right now.

He's done a great job, in my opinion, of carrying the show and emoting the situation throughout. His mannerisms, body language and line delivery have been able to carry this show so far through 12 episodes.

I'm digging it still for sure.
jokershady
AG
There were multiple times watching episodes this season where I thought, "I could be watching this on the big screen and wouldn't think twice about what I'm seeing."

It's just been awesome
redline248
AG
[Turning into a thread derail so we cleaned it up due to negative votes on the posts. -Staff]
PooDoo
AG
I loved it when Mando was drinking his soup and inched his helmet up to slurp.

You can tell they are building up to a reveal but who cares... each episode has been fun. I don't think this show was made so you can study it like scripture.
YouBet
AG
dave94 said:

TCTTS said:

I have no problems with the Mando not showing his face except for the one time last season. And honestly think most people don't have any idea who Pedro Pascal is, or what he looks like, so him not showing his face is not deterring things right now.

He's done a great job, in my opinion, of carrying the show and emoting the situation throughout. His mannerisms, body language and line delivery have been able to carry this show so far through 12 episodes.

Agree. Pedro Pascal while gaining name recognition is still a niche actor I think.
TXAG 05
AG
YouBet said:

dave94 said:

TCTTS said:

Agree. Pedro Pascal while gaining name recognition is still a niche actor I think.

This. Is he really famous? Never heard of him before this show.
powerbelly
AG
TXAG 05 said:

YouBet said:

dave94 said:

TCTTS said:

This. Is he really famous? Never heard of him before this show.

I dont see how this is possible, unless you missed both Game of Thrones and Narcos.

[As of this post we are getting the thread back on topic about the show. -Staff]
GiveEmHellBill
AG
If Wonder Woman 84 had come out this summer as it should have, I think he would be much more well known when season 2 started. As it is, many probably only know him from Game of Thrones.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.