Pending indictment against Trump in Georgia

189,099 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggiejayrod
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, in Georgia the trial judge must certify the question(s) for interlocutory appeal and the Court of Appeals then has discretion of whether to accept the appeal or not.

So, it is subject to interlocutory appeal if Judge McAfee allows it and if the Court of Appeals accepts it.
captkirk
AG

Quote:

MSNBC legal analyst Andrew Weissmann called for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to recuse herself from her George election racketeering case focused on former President Donald Trump and a number of his allies...

In his ruling, McAfee accused Willis of giving "unprofessional" testimony during evidentiary hearings and said she and Wade displayed a "lapse in judgement."

Weissmann argued McAfee likely knew removing Willis from the case would have meant the death of the charges as another Georgia office would need to take on the case and be equipped to handle such complicated indictments. Trump and his allies are accused of attempting to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in Georgia. The former president has attacked the case as a witch hunt, similar to how he's described his other legal troubles.

Weissmann recommended Willis recuse herself from the Trump case and appoint someone else to oversee the operation. He called the McAfee ruling an almost "fatal blow" to Willis as a prosecutor.

"The key is how to go forward because clearly Wade is off, but I think this is such a huge body blow, almost a fatal blow to Fani Willis," he said. "I think the way forward is she has to voluntarily recuse herself. I don't know that she has it in her, but I think she has to say I'm going to appoint a chief assistant who is going to oversee this case. She clearly has no credibility with this judge."

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/msnbc-analyst-calls-for-fani-willis-to-step-down-over-infuriating-ruling-almost-a-fatal-blow/
GenericAggie
AG
captkirk said:

Quote:

MSNBC legal analyst Andrew Weissmann called for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to recuse herself from her George election racketeering case focused on former President Donald Trump and a number of his allies...

Weissmann argued McAfee likely knew removing Willis from the case would have meant the death of the charges as another Georgia office would need to take on the case and be equipped to handle such complicated indictments. Trump and his allies are accused of attempting to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in Georgia. The former president has attacked the case as a witch hunt, similar to how he's described his other legal troubles.

Weissmann recommended Willis recuse herself from the Trump case and appoint someone else to oversee the operation. He called the McAfee ruling an almost "fatal blow" to Willis as a prosecutor.
"The key is how to go forward because clearly Wade is off, but I think this is such a huge body blow, almost a fatal blow to Fani Willis," he said. "I think the way forward is she has to voluntarily recuse herself. I don't know that she has it in her, but I think she has to say I'm going to appoint a chief assistant who is going to oversee this case. She clearly has no credibility with this judge."

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/msnbc-analyst-calls-for-fani-willis-to-step-down-over-infuriating-ruling-almost-a-fatal-blow/

Her career should be over. Go do consulting. This is prosecutorial misconduct to the nth degree. I'm not a lawyer.
nortex97
AG
LOL.

Quote:

An odor of mendacity
Power Line / by Scott Johnson / Mar 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM

At page 16 of his opinion ruling on the conflict of interest issues raised by defendants' in the Georgia "conspiracy so immense" prosecution brought by Fani Willis, Judge McAfee states that "an odor of mendacity remains." He is referring to the acrid smell left by the testimony of Willis and her former lover, Special Assistant District Attorney Nathan Wade.
I believe that Judge McAfee is alluding to Big Daddy's classic speech in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: "What's that smell in this room? Didn't you notice it, Brick? Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room? There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity. You can smell it. It smells like death."
Take it for what it's worth.
The D
AG
LMCane said:

once again all the Trump fans who spent weeks proclaiming Willis would be gone and the case would collapse.

proven wrong once again.

You must live a sad life. Trump, and his supporters are in your head 24/7
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm pretty sure Weissman is wrong as to what would happen if she recused herself. I don't think she can personally recuse and then "appoint an assistant" to take over.

SA68AG
AG
Once again a big nothing burger.
Ellis Wyatt
Veissssman, like Jack Smith, is only concerned with getting Trump. Veissssman should be in prison for his own prosecutorial misconduct, but you can bet he is communicating with Fanny behind the scenes to help the prosecution press-on.

Even if she can't legally appoint another prosecutor to act in her stead, they know that, like her miscounduct, it will have to be unwound later, after the damage is done. These people are unethical and have no problem bankrupting innocent people to advance their fascist agenda.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The District Attorney overseeing Donald Trump's Georgia election indictment threatened the wife of the chief prosecutor in Trump's case, an ethics complaint filed with the Georgia state bar has alleged.

The complaint, filed by Atlanta resident, Stephen Kramer, also alleges that Willis misspent state funds with Trump prosecutor, Nathan Wade, with whom Willis was in a relationship.
Quote:

"One of the most concerning incidents in this case, in a long line of concerning incidents, is when D.A. Willis used her position to threaten Mr. Wade's wife, Joycelyn Wade, during their divorce proceedings," Kramer wrote. "D.A. Willis stated in a motion that Ms. Wade was trying to embarrass and harass her, and by extension, interfere and obstruct in the conduct of the [D.A.] election.

"Since that time, D.A. Willis admitted to an improper relationship with Mr. Wade, so Ms. Wade had every reason to determine how the marital money was being used before the divorce. This was not an unusual action by a divorcing couple."
Via Hot Air.

Jocelyn Wade had subpoenaed Fani and Fani filed to quash that subpoena. It was that motion to quash from which the quotes were drawn. Keep in mind, there was only a temporary agreement for spousal support that was reached between the Wades a few weeks back. The divorce is still active and will be pursued whether through mediation or trial.

As noted by Turley at the time, Fani's motion to quash was over the top.
Quote:

At issue in the filing is the demand for a pretrial deposition in the divorce case of Nathan and Joycelyn Wade on January 23. Willis' counsel leveled a full attack on the motivations and associations of Joycelyn Wade. She accused Joycelyn Wade of having an adulterous relationship with a longtime friend of Nathan Wade's.

Willis' counsel Cinque Axam then added that Joycelyn Wade "has conspired with interested parties in the criminal election interference case to use the civil discovery process to annoy, embarrass and oppress District Attorney Willis."
Quote:

Willis bases her conspiracy theory on the fact that, on January 8, Roman's filing was made public and on the same day, she was served a subpoena and there was a move to unseal the Wades' divorce case.

That certainly makes this all a bit different from the usual "other woman" element in the divorce case. However, it is not a smart move. The level of animus and vexatious language in the filing only magnifies the concern over the Willis-Wade relationship. By attacking the estranged wife of her alleged lover, Willis only increases concerns over the professional separation between Willis and Wade in making decisions in the case.
LINK

As for today's decision I think McAfee deliberately uses the wrong starting date for his analysis. The important date was November 1, 2021 not August of 2023 when the indictment was handed down. Wade grifted for nearly two years before the indictment to the tune of nearly seven hundred thousand dollars of tax payer funds.

Willis is not out of hot water by a long shot after she jettisons Wade from her orbit.
Bryan98
AG
GenericAggie said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Is this order subject to interlocutory appeal? Mandamus relief?

speak english please?

Expelliarmus!
Foreverconservative
TXAggie2011 said:

I'm pretty sure Weissman is wrong as to what would happen if she recused herself. I don't think she can personally recuse and then "appoint an assistant" to take over.

You're correct, she'll have to bring in another outside counsel, Anna Cross is an outside Special Counsel and is already involved in the case. Cross' actual job is an AUSA in DC I believe
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
TXAggie2011
AG
Foreverconservative said:

TXAggie2011 said:

You're correct, she'll have to bring in another outside counsel, Anna Cross is an outside Special Counsel and is already involved in the case. Cross' actual job is an AUSA in DC I believe
I would think that if her entire office is disqualified, outside special counsel brought into her office are disqualified because they are really just "part of her office" at that point.

Its all academic. I'm sure Professor Kreiss is right, she's not voluntarily recusing.

If you're just saying she has to bring in outside counsel to fill Wade's spot, I don't think she does. She can fill it, she cannot fill it. Up to her.
Burdizzo
AG
Rockdoc said:

So Wade gets to keep all his money and head to the bank, no problem. Smiling all the way.

Now he can afford to buy lunch... and supper.
Stat Monitor Repairman
This judge rendered a legal decision using a strategy called structured autonomy which is commonly used to deal with young children.

"Do you want to brush your teeth, or do you want or put on your pajamas?"
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Its all academic. I'm sure Professor Kreiss is right, she's not voluntarily recusing.
So we are waiting for the B roll of film showing Wade with a bankers box of personal possessions leaving the DA's office while she remains?

My problem with McAffee's ruling today is his splitting very fine hairs between Wade and Willis' testimony. Wade was lying but when Fani said the same thing on the stand, she was not?

The Geogia state senate committee is still gunning for her for misapplication of tax payer funds.
JFABNRGR
AG
Foreverconservative said:

TXAggie2011 said:

So willis throws cross out, probably threw a temper tantrum on her, and now the judge attempting to promote cross to run her prosecution.
aggiehawg
AG
FNC now saying Wade has resigned.

Imagine Fani was like tis.

aggiehawg
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

My problem with McAffee's ruling today is his splitting very fine hairs between Wade and Willis' testimony. Wade was lying but when Fani said the same thing on the stand, she was not?
Where does he say that?
aggiehawg
AG

Stat Monitor Repairman

Quote:

We can't count on the legal system to stop Trump. We have to stop him ourselves. One conviction would be nice; two would probably be quite helpful. But we can't count on the broken legal system to do a job that we ourselves have to do at the polls.

Nobody's happy with this baby split. Folks at the New Republic poo poo the decision. Laments that they can't rely on the judicial system to stop Trump. Says they must do more.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What would you expect from a 35-year old rookie judge handling the most high profile case in the world?

Was the moment too big for him?
aggiehawg
AG

Full text:
Quote:

Before this scandal was unearthed by defense attny Ashley Merchant, things were rolling along for Fani W. She's now been publicly humiliated and disgraced. Her ethical & legal probs are only just beginning. I'm not at all confident she will try this case v Trump. She will be under multiple investigations by then.

She gets to remain on the case thx to a judge who pulled a cowardly John Roberts. But her probs are only beginning … and getting Wade off of this case is a superhuman feat by the defense. He's been outed (as has she) as a liar/schemer. So - not entirely what the defense wanted (or deserved) but still Team Trump is in much better shape today than 3 mos ago in GA.
Logos Stick
There are clearly two sets of justice now. One for Democrats and POCs and one for everyone else. They tried to hang Flynn over lying to the FBI about a phone call. There was no reason to question him about it in the first place because they listened to the call. They then allowed Sussman to go free in a DC Court after he clearly lied to the FBI. Thats one of about 100 examples outside this case.

Anytime I'm called to jury duty from now on, I will consider the ideology and race of the defendent and nullify if warranted.

I've had it. I have had it.
aggiehawg
AG
Willis and Wade are now free to resume their affair. Fani testified that Wade probably thought they "broke up" in June or July 2023 because that's when the sex ended. But since she is a woman and has a different viewpoint she said it ended in August 2023 when she "had a difficult conversation with him."

What else happened in mid August 2023? This indictment dropped. She couldn't openly be boffing her subordinate when all eyes would be on her because of this case.
Dufflepud
Stat Monitor Repairman
Girl boss put this all behind her and she bouta go wild tonight!
aggiehawg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

If she thinks she's home free, she is quite mistaken.

This motion would only have disqualified her from this case. But there is now a new commission that has authority to remove her from office for her mis and malfeasance, such as perjury before a court.
Mathguy64
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

What you did there. I see it.
aggiehawg
AG
Read that last line in Fani's letter accepting Wade's resignation posted above:

"I wish you the best in your future endeavors."

Subtext: You strong like bull for tonight, Boo?
oysterbayAG
AG
" Odor Of Mendacity " " What's that smell in this room? Didn't you notice it, Brick? Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room? There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity.You can smell it. It smells like death. Mendacity, you know what that is, it's lies and liars " Big Daddy in " Cat on a hot tin roof "
aggiehawg
AG
oysterbayAG said:

" Odor Of Mendacity " " What's that smell in this room? Didn't you notice it, Brick? Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room? There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity.You can smell it. It smells like death. Mendacity, you know what that is, it's lies and liars " Big Daddy in " Cat on a hot tin roof "
LOL. Been noted before the origin of that phrase. Surprises me so few people knew the definition of "mendacity" even some lawyers, who in theory should have expanded vocabularies. "mendacious" is a very regularly used term in legal parlance without calling someone a liar outright.

Sigh, The status of the educational level in our legal bar both in court and appelllate courts.is sad. Rhetorical devices that mimic literature with which most jurors would get the reference. At least one would expect an appellate court judge to be well read. Being well read means the classics.

Literary references used to be shorthand for the jury. (And now I'll have to explain what shorthand means.)
AgCat93
AG
aggiehawg said:

oysterbayAG said:

LOL. Been noted before the origin of that phrase. Surprises me so few people knew the definition of "mendacity" even some lawyers, who in theory should have expanded vocabularies. "mendacious" is a very regularly used term in legal parlance without calling someone a liar outright.

Sigh, The status of the educational level in our legal bar both in court and appelllate courts.is sad. Rhetorical devices that mimic literature with which most jurors would get the reference. At least one would expect an appellate court judge to be well read. Being well read means the classics.

Literary references used to be shorthand for the jury. (And now I'll have to explain what shorthand means.)

aggiehawg
AG
Well played! Kudos! FTR: I never learned shorthand but I watched enough TV shows and movies to know that was what secretaries and court reporters used back in the day.
pacecar02
Someone can really read that....Wow
no sig

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.