Pending indictment against Trump in Georgia

189,071 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggiejayrod
Im Gipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAggie2011 said:

Donald Trump is not going to try to remove his case to federal court. His case will go forward in state court.

Did not see that coming!

I'm Gipper
aggiehawg
AG
His lawyers must have a knock out punch, then.
TRM
AG
agz win
AG
Sidney Powell will not be having a Friday happy hour.

ATLANTA A defendant in the sweeping election-interference case against former president Donald Trump and 18 others in Fulton County, Ga., became the first to plead guilty on Friday.

Scott Hall, a 59-year-old bail bondsman from the Augusta area who prosecutors alleged played a wide-ranging role in efforts to overturn Trump's loss in Georgia, pleaded guilty to five counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties. The felony charges were reduced to misdemeanors because of Hall's status as a first-time offender.

Hall agreed to serve five years of probation and, importantly for the prosecution's case, will testify.

Prosecutors had alleged in a 98-page indictment unsealed last month that Hall served as a linchpin of a secretive effort to access and copy elections software in remote Coffee County, working alongside pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell, who allegedly retained the forensic data firm that accompanied Hall and others to Coffee County. As part of his efforts to turn up evidence of voter fraud, Hall gained the ear of top officials not just in Georgia but also in Washington.

In the weeks after the election, Hall held meetings or had phone conversations with leaders of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia, according to people involved. Prosecutors say that on Jan. 2, 2021, he had a 63-minute phone call with Jeffrey Clark, a senior Justice Department official accused of plotting to delegitimize the vote in Georgia and other states and galvanize slates of contingent pro-Trump electors.

Hall's alleged immersion in the broader effort to undo Joe Biden's victory in Georgia and his agreement Friday to testify "honestly" in forthcoming trials could affect the fortunes of those with whom he is alleged to have interacted. That includes pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell, whose own trial in the case is set to begin Oct. 23, and former Justice Department lawyer Jeffrey Clark.

Hall was sentenced to five years probation with a $5,000 fine. According to the terms of his plea deal read in open court Friday afternoon, Hall agreed to write a letter of apology in addition to giving testimony. He was ordered to have no contact with victims, witnesses or defendants in the case and was also ordered not to speak to members of the news media, according to Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee.

Bail-bondsman Scott Hall, a Trump co-defendant, pleads guilty in Georgia election case - The Washington Post

annie88
AG
Where on the doll did Trump hurt you?

Seriously?
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
TXAggie2011
AG
Cheseboro's lawyers have been doing a media tour and adamant they won't be admitting anything, but I guess we'll see. I'm sure they'd love to have one or more of the lawyers admitting they weren't just being honest and reasonable lawyers
oh no
AG
These codefendants just have to admit to the covert acts they are accused of that led to conspiracy. Acts like getting someone's phone number, booking a conference room, and tweeting that people should watch the news.
BMX Bandit
I don't think this Hall plea will affect the Trump case. But it is definitely not good for Sydney Powell.

jt2hunt
AG
Who wouldn't take a plea deal to reduce Felonies to misdemeanors and five years probation that's a no-brainer.
Take a chance at trial and end up with a felony conviction or jail time or both plus the expense of trial, pretty easy decision to make
TXAggie2011
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I don't think this Hall plea will affect the Trump case. But it is definitely not good for Sydney Powell.
Before the deal was finalized, Hall gave the State a recorded statement. Powell's team will be sweating until they hear what's on it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Another of Giuliani's attorneys wants to withdraw from representing him. Is he going to end up with a public defender?

HTownAg98
Turns out, people don't enjoy working for free. (I don't know if that's exactly why he withdrew, but it wouldn't surprise me).
aggiehawg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Turns out, people don't enjoy working for free. (I don't know if that's exactly why he withdrew, but it wouldn't surprise me).
They also don't appreciate a slew of cooked up bar complaints against them soley due to their choice of clients.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

HTownAg98 said:

They also don't appreciate a slew of cooked up bar complaints against them soley due to their choice of clients.

There are 19 defendants and only one of them can't seem to hold on to any attorneys…hmm…
SockStilkings
Why would anyone cheer Rudy not being able to get effective counsel? The man took down the mob and turned from a decaying dump to, until last few years, a thriving city and shining light that inspired many other major cities in the US and around the globe to clean up their act.

But he was buddies with Trump so go ahead and hang him from the cross two.

People that are cheering this type of stuff on are simply not American and frankly are not good people.

I pray none have kids. And they should agree not too, being the little Hitler they are showing themselves to be.
oh no
AG
for the past three years, attorneys who dare to represent enemies of the regime, from 1/6 unarmed trespasser defendants to those representing Trump or Rudy, have been bombarded with threats of disbarment as well as being bankrupted with their own lawfare suits and frivolous accusations unless they drop their clients. This is how Marxist regimes work. from the ACLU, to the 65 Project, to the "Integrity First for America" groups, one of their missions is to make sure regime opposition can't be represented with good counsel. And America-hating communists celebrate when Rudy can't retain counsel.
GeorgiAg
AG
Rudy,

Call me.
aggiehawg
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.
Rudy, whatever you do, do NOT call GeorgiaAg.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't see anyone here "cheering" Rudy or anyone else not having effective counsel. And I think any accusations of such should come with a hearty acknowledgement that Rudy got himself stuck in his downward spiral out of his own volition.

Rudy's literally been writing checks he couldn't cash for years and it's started to really catch up to him in the worst way.
GeorgiAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.
I would at least know to check the "we want a jury trial" box, unlike his New York counsel.
GeorgiAg
AG
SockStilkings said:

Why would anyone cheer Rudy not being able to get effective counsel? The man took down the mob and turned from a decaying dump to, until last few years, a thriving city and shining light that inspired many other major cities in the US and around the globe to clean up their act.

People that are cheering this type of stuff on are simply not American and frankly are not good people.

I pray none have kids. And they should agree not too, being the little Hitler they are showing themselves to be.
Everyone deserves competent counsel.
HTownAg98
SockStilkings said:

This is a pile of nonsense. Rudy deserved the best counsel he can afford. If he can't pay his attorneys, they aren't going to work for him for long. It's also possible they had to withdraw due to a conflict of interest.
aggiehawg
AG
GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.
I would at least know to check the "we want a jury trial" box, unlike his New York counsel.
Civil cases in NY only have 6 jurors and their verdict does not have to be unanimous. In a complicated financial case using preponderance of the evidence standard? Not as cut and dried of a decision as you pretend it is.
GeorgiAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.
Civil cases in NY only have 6 jurors and their verdict does not have to be unanimous. In a complicated financial case using preponderance of the evidence standard? Not as cut and dried of a decision as you pretend it is.
Not unanimous 6 person jury? Yikes.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.

I believe the point is they didn't check a box requesting a jury and now their client is throwing a fit about not having a jury trial.
TXAggie2011
AG
GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.
Not unanimous 6 person jury? Yikes.

That's also the case in Texas courts at the county level and down.

New York, like Texas, uses the 5/6ths rule in most, if not all, civil cases. Indeed, most states use the 5/6ths rule.
SockStilkings
GeorgiAg said:

aggiehawg said:

GeorgiAg said:

Rudy,

Call me.

Doubtful.
SockStilkings
HTownAg98 said:

SockStilkings said:

This is a pile of nonsense. Rudy deserved the best counsel he can afford. If he can't pay his attorneys, they aren't going to work for him for long. It's also possible they had to withdraw due to a conflict of interest.

You think Rudy cannot afford an attorney or does not have a friend who would pay for one? That is funny.

I take it you do not know many if any rich, famous, well connected people.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rudy's currently being sued for $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees. In another recent case, he failed to pay court ordered fees and sanctions. He's been sued numerous times for other unpaid bills. A couple of years ago, he was in court because his alimony checks to his ex-wide were bouncing. His company has been sued for not paying the phone bill.

We don't know why they withdrew here, but we know Rudy has some financial challenges. He's admitted as much multiple times in court
SockStilkings
TXAggie2011 said:

Rudy's currently being sued for $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees. In another recent case, he failed to pay court ordered fees and sanctions. He's been sued numerous times for other unpaid bills. A couple of years ago, he was in court because his alimony checks to his ex-wide were bouncing. His company has been sued for not paying the phone bill.

We don't know why they withdrew here, but we know Rudy has some financial challenges. He's admitted as much multiple times in court

Sounds like everyone is suing him because he had the audacity to saddle up with Trump. I wouldn't pay **** either.

Hell, if I am Rudy I take a public defender and maybe teach them something about the law.

You are an attorney… you good on your pro bono hours?
jt2hunt
AG
False
HTownAg98
SockStilkings said:

HTownAg98 said:

SockStilkings said:

You think Rudy cannot afford an attorney or does not have a friend who would pay for one? That is funny.

I take it you do not know many if any rich, famous, well connected people.

Can't pay and won't pay are two different things. But this could have nothing to do with ability to pay.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

But this could have nothing to do with ability to pay.
<dons tinfoil hat> All of these cases against Trump and Rudy in multiple jurisdictions makes it very easy to disqualify his counsel. Just put their lawyers' names on a very lengthy witness list with zero intent to ever call them. Automatic conflict. If I were a no holds barred corrupt prosecutor, that's what I would do. <takes tinfoil hat off>.
SockStilkings
I need a crib sheet of lawyers for TexAgs that matches with real life as there is a distinction between those lawyers who have experience and knowledge of the law and also a reasonable demeanor and ability to critically think (like you Hawg), and others on threads like these that seem to be the quintessential version of millennial lawyers - the have a degree sort with experience in "transactional" law but no real experience in theory, understanding and as in the case of most younger ones the absolute inability to think for themselves or apply any sort of reasonable thinking, critical decisioning.

Hawg, thanks for bringing sanity to the insane legal world we are experiencing now.
TXAggie2011
AG
SockStilkings said:

the quintessential version of millennial lawyers - the have a degree sort with experience in "transactional" law but no real experience in theory

Pretty sure transactional real estate attorney AggieHawg isn't a millennial by any means

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.