Pending indictment against Trump in Georgia

189,082 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggiejayrod
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Side question… what is the lady in front of the judge doing with the weird microphone thing?

Is it a new way of court dictation instead of typing everything out?
Yes, that's the court reporter.
TXAggie2011
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Side question… what is the lady in front of the judge doing with the weird microphone thing?

Probably the reporter, yes. They have some increasingly neat technology that's been coming out over the last 5 or so years.
TXAggie2011
AG
Geeze. An attorney once talked to me and co-counsel like Merchant is talking to opposing counsel. My colleague got the judge to threaten to toss him out. He was frazzled for the next 30 minutes.

I can't stand people who giggle when they're talking arguing serious subjects.
lex veritatem requirit
aggiehawg said:

AggieAces06 said:

Yes, that's the court reporter.
Stenographer mask.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Whats the feeling on whether or not these people are going to be punished and disbarred? Or is this all just a dog and pony show?
TXAggie2011
AG
Last Merchant post. Judge says he'll admit her texts. So she still tries to argue to make some point about the state's lawyer.

Thank goodness the judge responded "we're done."
aggiehawg
AG
Now discussing how the summations will be divided among the Trump defendants' counsel.

He's sticking to argument only but counsel can proffer and he will decide then whether to reopen evidence at that point.

ETA: For the Friday hearing.
TXAggie2011
AG
Judge wants to have this all wrapped up Friday. Will hear argument around whether the cell phone evidence is meaningful and decide then if it can be brought in as evidence. But right now he's not admitting it.

His ruling will cover all the motions for disqualification although this evidentiary hearing only addresses the romantic relationship aspect of it.
TXAggie2011
AG
I did notice the last defense attorney to go was wearing bright baby blue shorts
aggiehawg
AG
Why the hell was Wade allowed to be in the courtroom? Were I one of the Trump defense attorneys, I would have objected as Wade may need to be recalled, invoke the rule and kick him out. That was intimidation of the witness.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

Why the hell was Wade allowed to be in the courtroom? Were I one of the Trump defense attorneys, I would have objected as Wade may need to be recalled, invoke the rule and kick him out. That was intimidation of the witness.

Merchant opened the hearing with trying to get him kicked out of the court room. He was released from his subpoena already, however.
aggiehawg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

aggiehawg said:

Merchant opened the hearing with trying to get him kicked out of the court room. He was released from his subpoena already, however.
Judge set this hearing quickly yesterday afternoon. She should have had another subpoena issued and ready to go. When he stepped foot in the courtroom serve him and tell him to turn around and leave after asking the judge to give the regular admonishments not to watch or listen to the testimony today. Plan ahead.
TXAggie2011
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Whats the feeling on whether or not these people are going to be punished and disbarred? Or is this all just a dog and pony show?

I still view this is a credibility passing match and I'm still on the side the judge won't be inclined to blow the case up over a pissing match.

Today didn't go well for the defense. Before I get sassed about it, I'll quote Andrew Fleischman who is a Georgia criminal defense attorney has been outspoken about this from get-go who also says it wasn't a good day for the defense.

aggiehawg
AG
Everybody and their mother's uncle know what happened here, including the judge. Wade and Willis had time to prepare and gather documentary evidence to corroborate their stories, had they been remotely true. Not one piece of paper, no debit card records for cash back, no ATM withdrawals, zip.

Fani's lawyers refused to cross her from the day before. So she had yet another chance to find some records that Thursday night. But nope.

Fani's father's testimony about another boyfriend of hers, a DJ named Deuce when he moved in with her summer of 2020, IIRC. Where was Deuce? Why wasn't he on the stand to confirm he was dating her at that time?
oysterbayAG
AG
This judge is quite smart, but he appears to be a Mamby Pamby lacking the balls to disqualify these two corrupt nitwits. He will probably allow the defense to appeal.
SA68AG
AG
Nothing is going to happen to Fani. Nothing was ever going to happen to Fani.

Just another dem kangaroo court.
Marvin
AG
SA68AG said:

Nothing is going to happen to Fani. Nothing was ever going to happen to Fani.

Just another dem kangaroo court.

This is the reality. Right and wrong will never make an appearance in this trial.
aggiehawg
AG
To me, it comes down to how involved was Wade with the special grand jury? And why hasn't Fani just convinced him to resign at this point? You know for the good of her case and the Fulton County DA's office? Reading the tea leaves here, if Wade resigns, and he was very involved with the special grand jury, that's a big problem for the whole case.

But if he wasn't that involved with the special grand jury, she could kick him to the curb and not bat an eye.
Reality Check
aggiehawg said:

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic that good overcomes evil, but here's how I see it:

If Wade and Willis had said, "Yes, we were boning from November 2019 to August 2023. Bad on us. Worked late hours. Were both going through breakups. **** happens when people work closely together. Won't let it happen again"

...then I'd be 95 percent certain this goes forward and they get their bull**** eight week trial of Trump and a jury that doesn't understand the First Amendment but knows Orange Man Bad convicts him and ties him up in a state-level appeal through the first year of his presidency. .

Buuuutttt....

Wade and Willis filed a sworn affidavit a month ago claiming they didn't take the MARTA to Bone Town until February 2022. That anyone with any understanding of what's happened in the last two weeks knows is a complete and total lie. Ditto for the bull**** that she paid him back in cash -- Yeartie has a cashapp but Wade doesn't???

That they teamed together to fabricate a lie and presented it to a judge can't make Scott McAfee happy -- let alone the way Fani tried to take over his courtroom with her faux hysterics. The fact that the DA's office continues to obstruct revelations of the truth, likewise, can't be something his pleased with.

If Sadow gets the cell records in -- and even if the geofencing doesn't get in but the 2,000 phone calls and 12,000 texts do -- then I'm 90 percent certain he disqualifies Wade and Willis and the Fulton County DA's office and follows the lead established by his senior jurist (Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney) and moves the case to the Prosecuting Attorney's Council of Georgia where it will die (as did Fani's case against Burt Jones) because nobody outside of Downtown Atlanta thinks any laws were legitimately broken.

Even without the geofencing, I'm still leaning 65/35 that it gets the same fate because McAfee just can't ignore the fact that Wade perjured himself and Fani threw a tantrum on his witness stand and called Ashleigh Merchant a liar when Merchant clearly was the one telling the truth..

I apparently reached my newbie posting limit explaining Willie Horton on the Laken Riley thread, but here's the latest from Fulton County.

(If there were a way to embed the music from "Days of Our Lives" here I would.)

Seventeen pages of Terrence Bradley's "speculation" can be found at the end of this article. Keep in mind he can't recall most of these texts (dang) and may or may not tell lies about his friends.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/29/us-news/texts-from-nathan-wade-lawyer-appear-to-show-more-than-speculation-about-fani-willis-affair/

Hearing resumes in Fulton County on Friday. Not sure if it's a morning or afternoon affair.
aggiehawg
AG
I agree that had they just come clean and said, "So what?" I'm not sure McAfee schedules an evidentiary hearing on it. There's no disputed facts requiring evidence.
aggiehawg
AG
Hmm.

aggiehawg
AG
Just a reminder: How long did it take him to answer this?

Foreverconservative
onder if that lie about never using anyone else's credit card comes back to haunt Wade.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
GarryowenAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Hmm.

I didn't see this in his testimony today. When would he have testified to this?
Foreverconservative
GarryowenAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Hmm.

Pretty sure it was under direct from Rice
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiejayrod
AG
Foreverconservative said:

GarryowenAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Hmm.

Pretty sure it was under direct from Rice

It came up today basically saying he already answered that last week. Last week he said that he didn't feel threatened. State did a great job of muddying the waters objecting to every single freaking question such that many didn't get answered because he said he already answered that when he's been asked 5 times and still hasn't answered the damn question.

Really, everyone with two brain cells knows why Bradley did a 180 and it wasn't because he woke upon the other side of the bed.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'm waffling back. When that crazy Beotch stormed in and got all power mad, I thought their goose was cooked. Now I'm back to thinking the judge doesn't allow or take into account the phone records and he can say while there is plenty of smoke, there is not enough tangible evidence to remove her. This will be the straw that breaks Justice's back and the only thing worse that will happen is when they pack the Supreme Court and expand to 13 or 15, something stupid but too much to overcome.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

From the earlier time he testified. Not today. He claimes on the stand he did not feel threatened disputing what he had told Merchant before.

THAT is the reason Wade was seated where he was today, at that end of counsel table to stare the witness down. Which he did. Straight on Mafia type of trial, who had a 6th right to be there.

Wade has zero 6th rights here. He should not have been in the courtroom.
TXAggie2011
AG
Bradley testified he did NOT take it as a threat.

AggieAL1
TXAggie2011 said:

Judge wants to have this all wrapped up Friday. Will hear argument around whether the cell phone evidence is meaningful and decide then if it can be brought in as evidence. But right now he's not admitting it.

His ruling will cover all the motions for disqualification although this evidentiary hearing only addresses the romantic relationship aspect of it.

The cell phone information may turn out to be weak. Did Sadow not tell the judge the defense would offer no witnesses with the data? It must stand on its face and there would seem to be a bundle of attack points.

You might think the defense would want an expert, or at least a tech serving the online analysis application, to explain how the data was gathered, vetted and what they believe it shows.

As to the scope of the hearing, I understood McAfee called it for everything in Merchant's motion. It just got bogged down over the affair timeline. If not, should we expect another?
AggieAL1
Pretty sure Wade is not a law partner with Gabe Banks.
TXAggie2011
AG
AggieAL1 said:

That too. His law partner is Campbell, not Banks. Banks runs his own firm Banks Weaver, I do believe.

Lesson: Don't listen to Paul Sperry, he's usually full of it
aggiehawg
AG
AggieAL1 said:

Pretty sure Wade doesn't know how to form a corporation beyond a PC., much less a law partnership via an LLP nor an LLC, nor just a general partnership. Only one effort was even made to file with the Sec of State but apply for an IRS EIN? Nope.

He cannot do that. Beyond his ability. He doesn't even know to ask "his accountant" who has to mind read which of his expense are personal and which are business related?
AggieAL1
aggiehawg said:

AggieAL1 said:

Pretty sure Wade doesn't know how to form a corporation beyond a PC., much less a law partnership via an LLP nor an LLC, nor just a general partnership. Only one effort was even made to file with the Sec of State but apply for an IRS EIN? Nope.

He cannot do that. Beyond his ability. He doesn't even know to ask "his accountant" who has to mind read which of his expense are personal and which are business related?

You may be right. I don't know anything about him. But that apparently isn't going to be a factor here. Despite all Merchant's claims of Wade's inexperience/incompetence, violations of state and county hiring regulations, misfeasance, malfeasance and whatever, they don't seem to fit this situation.

Apparently Georgia law gives district attorneys discretion in who they select as special prosecutors -- as long as they are in good standing and sanctioned by the courts -- and it is not unusual for prosecutors to pick people who they respect, trust and who show a grasp of the case and strategy.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

...and sanctioned by the courts ...
Hmm?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.