What gives you confidence for November?

149,262 Views | 1681 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tone2002
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rocag said:

atm2004: It's wrong to say that national polls don't mean anything, even given that the electoral college decides. State polls are of course more useful but national trends do have plenty of affects on a state by state basis. The map for an 8% Biden advantage is almost definitely not going to look the same as a 2% Clinton advantage. Given the very slim margins of victory in several states that Trump won in 2016 and needs to win in 2020 that overall difference is going to have more local consequences.
Nope. National polls are garbage when you're not trying to win an election based on popular vote.
Rocag
AG
I think that take is a bit silly. The people responding to the national polls live in states. A significant change in national polls (like 6%) is going to show up in state polls somewhere. And, if we look at the 2020 state polls, it has. Biden is polling several points better than Clinton did in several important swing states at the same point in the election and with far fewer undecided voters.
ravingfans
AG
Rocag said:

I think that take is a bit silly. The people responding to the national polls live in states. A significant change in national polls (like 6%) is going to show up in state polls somewhere. And, if we look at the 2020 state polls, it has. Biden is polling several points better than Clinton did in several important swing states at the same point in the election and with far fewer undecided voters.
correct, Biden's "surge" will show up in state polls for NY, MA, CA, etc.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
What gives me confidence in November:

• Numerous friends I know that did not vote for Trump in 2016 and/or who were life-long democrats (or a-political) who have voted for Trump this cycle.
  • The black security guard who cornered my buddy at the bank this morning after noticing his "I voted" sticker who then proceeded to talk to my buddy for 15 minutes about why he also voted for Trump and how tons of black men he knows are doing the same because Trump has been a positive force for the black community.

• The Pakistani liquor store owner around the corner from me who, once I told him I planned on watching the last debate two weeks back, could not stop telling me how excited he was to vote for Trump because "he has been the greatest president this wonderful country has ever seen."

All antidotal; yes I know. But I've not heard a single story such as these about Biden voters.
aTm2004
AG
The same swing states where riots have ravaged (hell, are currently ravaging) their cities? The same swing states that are calling to defund the police force? The same swing states where Biden wants to kill the industry they live on? The same swing state that has been locked down for months, just had stronger lock down orders issued from their governor, and Biden wants to extend even longer and to more states? Those swing states?

The dems love to talk about the suburban white woman and how their vote can swing the election. Do you know what doesn't resonate with suburban white women? Riots. Violence. No enforcement of the law. Keeping their children out of school. Threatening to kill the industry they or their spouse works in. But hey, I've known my wife for almost 13 years and still haven't figured her out...maybe the dems have.
ravingfans
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

What gives me confidence in November:

• Numerous friends I know that did not vote for Trump in 2016 and/or who were life-long democrats (or a-political) who have voted for Trump this cycle.
  • The black security guard who cornered my buddy at the bank this morning after noticing his "I voted" sticker who then proceeded to talk to my buddy for 15 minutes about why he also voted for Trump and how tons of black men he knows are doing the same because Trump has been a positive force for the black community.

• The Pakistani liquor store owner around the corner from me who, once I told him I planned on watching the last debate two weeks back, could not stop telling me how excited he was to vote for Trump because "he has been the greatest president this wonderful country has ever seen."

All antidotal; yes I know. But I've not heard a single story such as these about Biden voters.
(anecdotal)
Rocag
AG
Perhaps, but I am not convinced that is the case. Even if the majority of the swing were in non-competitive states a 1%-2% shift to Biden from the 2016 results would flip Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Florida.
Phat32
AG
Literally the only reason to vote for Biden is that you do not like Trump's demeanor or tweets. That is it. Anyone I know who is voting for Biden is doing so purely out of a dislike for Trump.

They have never been exposed to a CEO-type. If they had, they'd understand the behavior more. But the results are there. If you want a President to be nice more than you want him to deliver for the American people, I cannot help you.

On the opposite side, you have riots, violence, defunding police, national lockdowns, high taxes, on and on. Oh, and your candidate looks like he is one bad fall away from death at any second. What a compelling case for your vote.

Hopefully this shows up en masse from the American voter.
aTm2004
AG
Rocag said:

Perhaps, but I am not convinced that is the case. Even if the majority of the swing were in non-competitive states a 1%-2% shift to Biden from the 2016 results would flip Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Florida.
The people who would normally vote R but voted Johnson or sat out in '16 getting back into the booth would kill whatever shift Biden may have picked up from people who hate safety, their children, and their jobs.
Rapier108
This is not supposed to be the thread to tell us that Biden is going to wipe the floor with Trump.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rocag
AG
You are free to that opinion. I disagree with it. We'll know how accurate the polls were once the results come in.
aTm2004
AG
yukmonkey said:

Literally the only reason to vote for Biden is that you do not like Trump's demeanor or tweets. That is it. Anyone I know who is voting for Biden is doing so purely out of a dislike for Trump.

They have never been exposed to a CEO-type. If they had, they'd understand the behavior more. But the results are there. If you want a President to be nice more than you want him to deliver for the American people, I cannot help you.

On the opposite side, you have riots, violence, defunding police, national lockdowns, high taxes, on and on. Oh, and your candidate looks like he is one bad fall away from death at any second. What a compelling case for your vote.

Hopefully this shows up en masse from the American voter.

jrdaustin
AG
For me, it's simple common sense and faith.

I have the common sense to see that Joe Biden is a shell of his former self and that instead of being the "leader" that the MSM is making him out to be, he is actually a follower who is being told at this point what to say and do. Case in Point - I heard yesterday him giving a speech in which you could tell he was reading (and yelling) directly form the teleprompter. I heard another version with the exact same words at a different location later in the day.

I have the common sense to see that the enthusiasm for Trump vs. the enthusiasm for Joe Biden is on a factor of a x10 to x50. Case in Point - Look at the size of the rallies for Trump vs. the dozens showing up to Biden or Harris "rallies".

I have the common sense to see that Trump's message in the final days is one of optimism in the American future; vs. a Biden/MSM message of fear and loathing of everything Trump. They have attempted to make this a referendum on Trump, which might have been effective if Trump was actually the horrible, selfish man and abject failure that the manufactured narrative has tried to depict.

I have the common sense to see the transformation of our media from informing public opinion to trying to shape public opinion. I fear that if Biden were successful, the media will stop at nothing to protect him - or - will turn on him in an instant in order to replace him with their true preference.

I have the common sense to see that the Republican party is not so very different that the party of Ronald Reagan. Many of the same themes in 1980 are still relevant and spoken of today. I also have the common sense to see that the Democratic party is in a completely different place than it was 40 years ago.

I have the common sense to see that the Democratic behavior during and after the 2016 election, during the Meuller investigation, during the runup and through impeachment, during the confirmation of Kavanaugh, and during the testimony of Bill Barr at his latest hearing is NOT the behavior I want from my public officials.

I have the common sense to see that the BLM organization is a power grab rather than an appeal for justice, that defunding police is an incredibly dangerous idea, that riots are not protests, history is important and should not be cancelled, and that the Affordable Care Act is anything but affordable.

I have the faith that enough Americans see reality as I do.
Barnyard96
AG
TAKE THE LONG DEBATES SOMEWHERE ELSE AND STOP DERAILING THIS THREAD!
aTm2004
AG
Rocag said:

You are free to that opinion. I disagree with it. We'll know how accurate the polls were once the results come in.
I'll just leave you with this to ponder...for 4 years, the media has done nothing but run negative story after negative story after negative story on Trump. "Racist! Homophobe! Islamaphobe!" they shout. Hell, he couldn't even get them to agree that killing #1 in the Islamic State was a good thing. So, after all of that, can you honestly look in the mirror and convince yourself that they are honest with the polls?
Barnyard96
AG
The right leaning pollsters are the only ones getting Florida right.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_biden-6841.html#polls
centexaggie2010
AG
jrdaustin said:

I have the common sense to see that the Democratic behavior during and after the 2016 election, during the Meuller investigation, during the runup and through impeachment, during the confirmation of Kavanaugh, and during the testimony of Bill Barr at his latest hearing is NOT the behavior I want from my public officials.

I would add Nancy ripping up Trump's State of The Union speech to this list.
aggiehawg
AG
aTm2004 said:

The same swing states where riots have ravaged (hell, are currently ravaging) their cities? The same swing states that are calling to defund the police force? The same swing states where Biden wants to kill the industry they live on? The same swing state that has been locked down for months, just had stronger lock down orders issued from their governor, and Biden wants to extend even longer and to more states? Those swing states?

The dems love to talk about the suburban white woman and how their vote can swing the election. Do you know what doesn't resonate with suburban white women? Riots. Violence. No enforcement of the law. Keeping their children out of school. Threatening to kill the industry they or their spouse works in. But hey, I've known my wife for almost 13 years and still haven't figured her out...maybe the dems have.
In 1980, suburban white women were called "soccer Moms" and they heavily voted for Reagan. Ditto in 1984.

In 2020, those women of all colors are "Security" or :"Safety" Moms. If the question is who will make your children safer, healthy and happy? Biden offers them nothing on that score. He'll keep them out of school, defund the police and put their parents out of work, crash their 401(k)s and raise taxes.
Rocag
AG
Well I have some serious issues with the premise of the question, but I think those can be set aside and get to the heart of the question which is "Are the polls trustworthy?" It's a good and fair question, and I think the response is that it depends on the poll in question. I expect the actual results to be within the margin on error for the more respected polls.

You can find plenty of Republican leaning polls or polls from conservative media outlets that show a Biden advantage nationally and in important swing states. For example, Rasmussen shows Biden up 3% in Florida today. Do you think they are showing that result for some nefarious purpose? Are they anti-Trump?
Barnyard96
AG
Rocag said:

Well I have some serious issues with the premise of the question, but I think those can be set aside and get to the heart of the question which is "Are the polls trustworthy?" It's a good and fair question, and I think the response is that it depends on the poll in question. I expect the actual results to be within the margin on error for the more respected polls.

You can find plenty of Republican leaning polls or polls from conservative media outlets that show a Biden advantage nationally and in important swing states. For example, Rasmussen shows Biden up 3% in Florida today. Do you think they are showing that result for some nefarious purpose? Are they anti-Trump?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TAKE THIS SOMEWHERE ELSE.
MaroonStain
AG
How long are people going to tout pre-voting polls while actually results/hard data is being tallied on a daily basis?

Talk about head in the sand...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
oh no
AG
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
He started the walkaway movement correct?
will25u
Yes. And think that has done a lot to move people to a more conservative mindset.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Minnesota Democrats estimate that as many as 250,000 white residents who didn't go to collegethe heart of Trump's baseweren't registered to vote in 2016. Republicans are taking pains to find them. While Democrats in the state have largely suspended door-to-door campaigning because of the pandemic, Republicans have kept at it. Last week, volunteers knocked on more than 130,000 doors in the state, a campaign official told me. "This is the largest organization that we've seen a Republican put into this state, in terms of advertising dollars, principal visits, and staff on the ground," Ken Martin, the chair of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, told me. "There's no doubt that they have a significant operation here."

Trump's campaign has booked more than $1.2 million in TV advertising in Minnesota in the final week of the campaignmore than it spent there in the preceding three weeks combined, according to Advertising Analytics, which tracks campaigns' ad spending. Vice President Mike Pence held a rally in northern Minnesota on Monday, the latest in a series of visits to the state by Trump and top surrogates.

Overall, the Trump campaign has deployed 60 staffers in Minnesota, a level of Republican intensity surpassing that of any race in memory, both parties say. (Democrats say they have many more staffers on the ground in the state).

Biden's lead in Minnesota stands at 5 percentage points, according to the Real Clear Politics average of polls. That number could be inflated. State-level polling proved flawed in 2016: Clinton won Minnesota by 1.5 percentage points even though some of the final polls showed her up by double digits. "Knowing what we do about 2016, we would all be foolish to imbue the polls with undue certainty," Charles Franklin, a pollster, told me. Both Biden and Trump are scheduled to make dueling appearances in Minnesota today.
Look at the source
DCPD158
AG
barnyard1996 said:

The right leaning pollsters are the only ones getting Florida right.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_biden-6841.html#polls
Very telling when "We hate Trump with a passion" Univision has Trump at +3
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
FbgTxAg
AG
FriscoKid
AG
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
FbgTxAg
AG
"Nothin' but the best, Clark"

StandUpforAmerica
Fingers crossed...

MaroonStain
AG
FbgTxAg said:

We are going to need a math and logic class for the reslibs, CMs and Never Trumpers.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
aggiehawg
AG
MaroonStain said:

FbgTxAg said:

We are going to need a math and logic class for the reslibs, CMs and Never Trumpers.
Great news! Thanks for posting.
titan
S
StandUpforAmerica said:

Fingers crossed...

Wait a second, never though of that. If Trump doesn't have a second term, is he indeed eligible to run again in 2024 against whatever disaster the Democrats would definitely have caused by then?
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
aginlakeway
AG
titan said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

Fingers crossed...

Wait a second, never though of that. If Trump doesn't have a second term, is he indeed eligible to run again in 2024 against whatever disaster the Democrats would definitely have caused by then?

Yep.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

As Teddy Roosevelt would have said, "Bully!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.