*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,915 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching again for the fifth time. Still awesome
CoolaidWade
AG
Saw it for the first time a few days ago. IMAX. San Antonio.

Badass!

Yes, I'm behind on everything.
AggieArcher17
AG
I bought it on YouTube. Saw it twice in theatres and am on 5th time at home. I'll say it, best movie of my lifetime. Love the lack of SJW crap but the plot and score just holds up so well. Just a good old red blooded American hero movie and I'm all for it!
CoolaidWade
AG
Interesting fact (To me anyway that I just realized). Being that I don't make my way to the movies anymore. Now I just read and watch every TV series out there.

The last two movies I saw were the original Top Gun they re-released in IMAX a few years ago and then Maverick in IMAX.

I just love Top Gun, I guess.

Probably why this movie just made a killing. It brought people out to the movies who normally don't go.
Squadron7
AG
CoolaidWade said:

Interesting fact (To me anyway that I just realized). Being that I don't make my way to the movies anymore. Now I just read and watch every TV series out there.

The last two movies I saw were the original Top Gun they re-released in IMAX a few years ago and then Maverick in IMAX.

I just love Top Gun, I guess.

Probably why this movie just made a killing. It brought people out to the movies who normally don't go.

Well, and your mileage may vary, it is a big action blockbuster that was actually shot with a camera rather than digitized on a pad. I think it makes a difference both in its look and how much you ask your audience to suspend disbelief.
PatAg
AG
Maverick already exists, this movie is Top Gun: Maverick
Buck Turgidson
Finally watched this movie the other day (I might be the last one by now). Overall an enjoyable flick. Not sure how lefties could object to anything in this, but they are mentally ill, so you never can tell what'll set them off.
schmendeler
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Finally watched this movie the other day (I might be the last one by now). Overall an enjoyable flick. Not sure how lefties could object to anything in this, but they are mentally ill, so you never can tell what'll set them off.

I guess I missed the protests and diatribes on prime time cable news
Duncan Idaho
I enjoyed it as much as the first one but i am not sure I watched the same movie as the people saying this was some kind of anti-sjw/woke fest.

I mean granted it wasn't as pro-gay as the one but it was still pretty inclusive
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Watched it again tonight. I've lost count. At least a dozen
jbanda
AG
That last horse crosses the finish line. I FINALLY saw it today.

Long story short, that was the best movie of the decade. That's a hill I'll die on.
bthotugigem05
AG
Ok question: Mav and Warlock have their "make us proud" scene with Mav in full flight gear. Then it goes to Mav at the podium picking his teams not in full flight gear. Was the team-picking back at Top Gun or was it on the boat?
The Porkchop Express
Bradley Bradshaw buzzing the tower on the season premiere of SNL tonight.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
wangus12
AG
On the boat. But those scenes definitely felt out of order
maroon barchetta
I'm still curious whether Mav proposed or otherwise committed to Penny on the beach when he showed up that night in his dress whites.

Nobody else had them on at that time.
jbanda
AG
I just bought the 4k bundle on apple movies and watched both opening carrier sequences back to back. It's GD gorgeous in every way. Perfection in cinematography.
dreyOO
My birthday is coming up -- and yes rewatching in theaters during working hours is part of my gameplan
maroon barchetta
Is it still in theaters?
dreyOO
As of this coming week, yes. Just need it to last uno mas.
Eso si, Que es
Decided to go see this again today, just wanted to support a great movie and cast another vote with my dollars of what type of movie I am willing to pay to watch
LMCane
maroon barchetta said:

I'm still curious whether Mav proposed or otherwise committed to Penny on the beach when he showed up that night in his dress whites.

Nobody else had them on at that time.

the only thing that would have made that movie more perfect would have been a better ending:

Mav doing a flyby in an F-18 at the Navy football stadium in Annapolis and having Penny on the 50 yard line with a diamond ring during a real game
bthotugigem05
AG
I wasn't in the military but, based entirely on a scene in We Were Soldiers, isn't it tradition to have a banquet/party before you deploy? Maybe that was his way of having their own "banquet" since everything was top secret and he was about to deploy, especially since most of his past deployments seemed to happen at the last minute and without notice because of him being, well, Maverick. So maybe it symbolizes him trying to do it right for once.
fig96
AG
TCTTS
AG
Tyson is such a ******* kill joy nerd when it comes to movies. Also, if I remember correctly, the plane blew an engine or whatever, so I imagine it had slowed down a bit before he ejected.
fig96
AG
You're not wrong. Very little in the MCU/DCEU/Star Wars/Trek/scifi world stands up to more than very basic scrutiny.
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

Tyson is such a ******* kill joy nerd

FIFY.
schmendeler
AG

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!
Sea Speed
AG
The plane was obviously built with an eject pod that keeps the pilot safe when they eject at warp speed you no fun at parties db.
Squadron7
AG
fig96 said:

I have to admit that when this happened in the movie I was taken back to when the Challenger exploded and it was being discussed what would happen to the astronauts when they were subjected to...correct me if I have the wrong term here...off-line acceleration.

Is that the right term?

Now as far as the movie. Maverick was obviously wearing a flight suit designed by Tony Stark. Duh.
The Porkchop Express
I mean the navy probably also has a policy against 57 year olds test flying jets and leading combat missions.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Squadron7
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I mean the navy probably also has a policy against 57 year olds test flying jets and leading combat missions.

The real reason he is stuck at Captain is because he identifies as 37.
GIF Reactor
AG
fig96 said:

MooreTrucker
AG
Wasn't there some fan theory going around that in fact Maverick WAS dead and the whole movie had somehow to do with that?
bthotugigem05
AG
Yep, that it was his death dream or something like that, the director said he wouldn't endorse it but liked the thought when asked about it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
fig96 said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.