*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,804 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got the vibe that Ken and Rome still aren't thrilled about selling. Wonder if they continue to formulate a plan to tank the board vote
Teddy Perkins
AG
MW03 said:

They still have to buy Pierce, right?
Yes, assuming they even still want it. Without ATN to merge with it, and without the luster of screwing over Logan, I don't know that they will still go after Pierce.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vibe? It seemed very clear to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For some reason I get the feeling that Mattson gets wind of the sibs wanting Pierce, buys them to spite the Roys, kills the deal, and Waystar stock tanks, leaving all siblings on their ass in the final episode.

I know they're all ****ty human beings, but I kinda want to see at least one of them "win". And right now it feels like a slow moving car crash where everything falls apart for them.
CFTXAG10
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Vibe? It seemed very clear to me.
Yea, the speculation that the deal has to go through now is what prompted the comment. Clearly Rome and Ken don't like Mattson and know he is not a good fit. I am very interested to see what tactics they use if they still intend to tank it
Teddy Perkins
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For some reason I get the feeling that Mattson gets wind of the sibs wanting Pierce, buys them to spite the Roys, kills the deal, and Waystar stock tanks, leaving all siblings on their ass in the final episode.

I know they're all ****ty human beings, but I kinda want to see at least one of them "win". And right now it feels like a slow moving car crash where everything falls apart for them.
When you say "kills the deal" I'm assuming you mean the Pierce deal? Matsson wants Waystar too much to kill that deal. I feel like the rest of the season is going to be focused on how the siblings deal with each other. Shiv caught on that the Royboys are making moves without her. How will that play out? My guess is that she will jockey for an executive position in the resulting Waystar/Gojo entity, while the Royboys are on the outside looking in.
JYDog90
AG
I don't understand the Mencken ATN story
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

2. Shiv actually draws a line with ATN and Mencken.
In somewhat unsurprising but highly problematic news, far-right, white supremacist, populist Congressman Jeryd Mencken (you know, the one who bonded with Roman over...gulag jokes) is found to have a "direct line" to ATN. As Shiv tells Kendall and Roman, "They're dialed in on editorial morning conference," which would completely blow ATN's credibility, as sensationalist and problematic as it already is. "Even Dad had a line," Shiv says incredulously when Roman refers to this set-up as a "mutual back scratch."

Shiv has opposed the Roys' backing of presidential hopeful Mencken since Season 3, warning Logan, "Mencken is an integralist, nativist ****head. He's toxic. He's 'Medicare for all, abortions for none.'" Later in the episode, it seems Shiv wants to exercise control at ATN after the huge offer from Matsson to acquire it with Waystar Royco. Talking to Tom in the private jet, Shiv seems to suggest ATN's senior news division head Cyd Peach (Jeannie Berlin) will be soon without a job, and Mencken without a direct line.
https://mashable.com/article/succession-shiv-mattson-season-4-episode5-mvp
CFTXAG10
AG
Good episode recap from The Ringer: LINK

Robert C. Christian
AG
So was the Connor call scene was just a throwaway? Or is there something more there?
CFTXAG10
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

So was the Connor call scene was just a throwaway? Or is there something more there?
I thought it helped set the stage for the Rome-Mattson scene
Rudyjax
AG
For once in my life I feel like I fully understood an episode.

Unless I totally misunderstood it.

Quinn
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

It led to the picture that Connor texted Roman while he was on the tram, which reminded Roman of his dead father and the absurdity of Mads making him push through the deal days after his death. Roman doesn't give the angry speech without the picture from Connor.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks! I was a bit distracted and missed that.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just listened to Kieran's part on my morning walk. Good stuff.
Diggity
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jim01
AG
Madsen is maybe my favorite character. The beginning of the episode all I could think was "didn't they just show how the stock tanked after Logan's death? How are they going to ask for more money?" and Madsen didn't waste a beat for calling them out. Everything he said to them the entire episode was DEAD on. It was the perfect example of Logan's boys not being "serious people" and Madsen absolutely being serious. Weird, but serious.
jackie childs
another fantastic episode...

the opening scenes with ken reminded me of the very first episode.
jackie childs
Teddy Perkins said:

Matsson clearly outplayed the Royboys. He snuffed out their attempt to tank the deal, went around them, and is going to get the whole enchilada. After Matsson's convo with Shiv, he learned a bump on his offer would get it done. Shiv scored points during the convo and will be kept on after the acquisition and the Royboys are going to be left floundering - rich, but without a company a steer. I don't see how the deal could fall apart at this point unless that issue Shiv flagged about Mencken having a direct line to ATN comes into play, but even then that doesn't seem to be big enough to kill the deal.
you don't think sharing details about the frozen blood bricks could cause the deal to fall apart? especially a deal that's 50/50 cash/stock?
Teddy Perkins
AG
jackie childs said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Matsson clearly outplayed the Royboys. He snuffed out their attempt to tank the deal, went around them, and is going to get the whole enchilada. After Matsson's convo with Shiv, he learned a bump on his offer would get it done. Shiv scored points during the convo and will be kept on after the acquisition and the Royboys are going to be left floundering - rich, but without a company a steer. I don't see how the deal could fall apart at this point unless that issue Shiv flagged about Mencken having a direct line to ATN comes into play, but even then that doesn't seem to be big enough to kill the deal.
you don't think sharing details about the frozen blood bricks could cause the deal to fall apart? especially a deal that's 50/50 cash/stock?
Not a deal this big. No one would bat at an eye at an eccentric weirdo tech CEO, blood bricks or not, at the price he is paying. If the money is good, that's all that matters.
jackie childs
Teddy Perkins said:

jackie childs said:

Not a deal this big. No one would bat at an eye at an eccentric weirdo tech CEO, blood bricks or not, at the price he is paying. If the money is good, that's all that matters.
after all the warnings to Ken last week about "are you sure you want back into this?", i just see no way this deal ends up going through. so they need a way to kill it and i think this episode potentially laid the path for the deal getting killed by specifically mentioning the deal was 50/50 and then adding this bizarre blood story. i just can't see that not coming back into play.

so maybe ken and roman eventual tell shiv they want to kill the deal, but they know that the "matsson doesn't understand ATN" rhetoric won't convince the board. shiv shares that she has some leverage with the blood story and she tells them she will help them kill the deal if she gets to have a more vocal role at ATN so she can try to stop mencken from winning.

obviously just conjecture.
PatAg
AG
Jim01 said:

Madsen is maybe my favorite character. The beginning of the episode all I could think was "didn't they just show how the stock tanked after Logan's death? How are they going to ask for more money?" and Madsen didn't waste a beat for calling them out. Everything he said to them the entire episode was DEAD on. It was the perfect example of Logan's boys not being "serious people" and Madsen absolutely being serious. Weird, but serious.
They did have prepared answers for it, though
Proposition Joe
IMO if the the blood brick story becomes significant in killing the deal, then the writers got lazy. As previous poster said, it becomes way too deus ex machina. There's a million ways a deal can get killed, I trust this isn't going to be one of them.
Diggity
AG
I'll only forgive them if they play this song in the outro

Proposition Joe
Now if Shiv receives an unsolicited, unmarked package in the last few episodes of a blood brick...
MW03
AG
50/50 Mattson was lying about the blood bricks to test whether Shiv was bringing information back to the brothers.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
PatAg said:

Jim01 said:

Agreed. I thought Roman and Kendall handled themselves very well against Matsson; even though Matsson clearly came out of this interaction with the upper hand.

Kendall and Roman could have folded and they really didn't. They are shrewd when they want to be.
Showrunners have really villainized Matsson and I love it

Anyone know what they were saying in Swedish around the table regarding Tom and Greg?
-Ben There/R.C.
Prosperdick
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

PatAg said:

Jim01 said:

Agreed. I thought Roman and Kendall handled themselves very well against Matsson; even though Matsson clearly came out of this interaction with the upper hand.

Kendall and Roman could have folded and they really didn't. They are shrewd when they want to be.

Anyone know what they were saying in Swedish around the table regarding Tom and Greg?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

PatAg said:

Jim01 said:

PatAg
AG
I picked up the word Hapsburg , and we all know that connotation. Nice to see what he said exactly though.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Lol the Swedes are savage

Hugo might be the dumbest executive of them all. His interaction with the Olympian was very cringe
AG
Proposition Joe said:

IMO if the the blood brick story becomes significant in killing the deal, then the writers got lazy. As previous poster said, it becomes way too deus ex machina. There's a million ways a deal can get killed, I trust this isn't going to be one of them.
I chose to look at it as a nod to Trueblood.

The Milkman
AG
It was hysterical.

"They tell me you nearly got a bronze at Sochi. That's almost huge."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.