*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,941 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit
AG
TriAg2010 said:

TX04Aggie said:

I was thinking about this too. Because Shiv uses "yeah" every scene. I think, two fold: 1) it is a subtle poke at "banker bro/tech bro/wheeler and dealer" culture in some respect. But 2) that it just highlights the complete insecurity they have on every decision they make, they literally are winging it and the "yeah?" Is such an insecure way for validation.

I negotiated a contract with a guy who would always do the "yeah" thing. I think there's some psychos out there who do it deliberately as a way to influence people. It makes you be the one to initiate disagreement, which when repeated endlessly becomes quite fatiguing. It makes you prone to yield something as a matter of polite conversation.

I find sales folks use it a lot. I don't hesitate to interrupt and tell them to knock it off. Of course I've never been shy of being the ahole during purchase/contract negotiations.
Sex Panther
AG
That was one of the greatest finales in history imo

The sibling meltdown and fight perfectly encapsulated them all in a nutshell and hit us with what turned out to be obvious the whole time... it was never going to be any of them

Capped off by Roman's "Were all bull****" line... fantastic
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you start going through Succession withdrawals, here's a pretty fun reaction channel going through all of S4.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDnk4h22r4QCGNSGJs4gHxl0Lnz-mTf_-

That's surprisingly few of these on YouTube considering how big reaction channels are now.
PatAg
AG
TX04Aggie said:

I was thinking about this too. Because Shiv uses "yeah" every scene. I think, two fold: 1) it is a subtle poke at "banker bro/tech bro/wheeler and dealer" culture in some respect. But 2) that it just highlights the complete insecurity they have on every decision they make, they literally are winging it and the "yeah?" Is such an insecure way for validation.
her and kendall both do it, which is a nice touch imo.
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

BudFox7 said:

TCTTS said:

Great show but it's not in this discussion no matter how bad you want it.

Finale was…OK. Kitchen scene showed they're still just kids and foretold that they would **** it up as kids so (as did the entire series). Shiv made the most sense to flip, preggo and husband as CEO. The flip was executed pretty badly though

IMO, there is zero question that Succession is now up there with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, and The Wire. We absolutely just added a fifth "face" to Mount Rushmore, and this seems to be the consensus among most people/pundits out there I'm seeing on social media, hearing on podcasts, etc. Sorry, Bud, but you're in the minority on this one.
For me its not there. Still very good though. It may have been one of the most subtly brilliant writing and acting jobs, but the subject matter was not as personally entertaining for me. So, my rating is master class in quote unquote quality, but not fundamentally as entertaining.
cone
AG
once the main character died the show kinda lost all the juice for me

good show but I just didn't care how it ended after Logan died
Topher17
AG
Did you think the series was going to end with him alive? He was always going to be a goner before it all concluded.
deer corn
A Greg/Tom spinoff would be awesome.
cone
AG
no

I expected him to eat it

doesn't mean the show didn't suffer in his absence
JDUB08AG
AG
cone said:

no

I expected him to eat it

doesn't mean the show didn't suffer in his absence

I would argue the episodes immediately after his death were my favorite of the entire series.
Tailgate88
AG
deer corn said:

"Greging".
LawHall88
AG
Prosperdick said:

TCTTS said:

Definitely a bit of a stretch, but I also kind of love it…

I like it too but have a hard time believing a Brit would be that into baseball and know something that obscure. I love baseball and have been following the sport since I was 6 or 7 years old (since the mid 70's) and I've never heard of that guy.

Then again, that's a VERY unique name and maybe Jesse was googling taking 3 people out unassisted and happened to stumble upon that ballplayer and liked it and thought the name was funny, which it is.

If this turns out to be true, tip of the cap to you Armstrong, that's amazing.

ETA - Now if this guy was a cricket player who performed an unassisted triple play (don't know if that's even possible as I don't know the rules) then I would be TOTALLY on board.
Quote:

"I hate to spoil the internet's fun, but it's false," Frank Rich, an executive producer of Succession, told me in an email. "Tom's family name was picked before we had shot a first season"the Succession pilot was made in 2016"let alone mapped out precise story twists that would culminate 39 episodes later! Not to mention that many of the key writers on the show, starting with its creator, Jesse [Armstrong], are British, live in London, and are devoted to British football."

Rich, a New York magazine writer-at-large and former New York Times columnist, added that the source for Tom's last name is a typical one in screenwriting: A Succession staff member had a relative named Wambsgans. "If memory serves," Rich said, "we were looking for something off-key that would be awkward to say/pronounce, befitting a character who arrives as an outsider in the Roys' world."

So no baseball history connection, Succession fans. Though in the series' very first episode, in 2018, Tom Wambsgans did tag out at home a boy whom Roman Roy offered to pay a million dollars for hitting a home run during the Roy family softball game. "Bad luck, kid," Tom said. Makes you wonder.
https://slate.com/culture/2023/05/succession-finale-ending-tom-wambsgans-bill-triple-play.html
PatAg
AG
Wouldn't a big flaw also be that it isn't unassisted. Shiv had the ability to block the deal, her vote enabled Tom to win
cone
AG
everyone is free to have their own opinion
bonfarr
AG
Tailgate88 said:

deer corn said:

"Greging".

The Disgusting Brothers would be the title.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Prosperdick
AG
Like I said, he's a Brit…way more into cricket and soccer and probably wouldn't even be able to describe how an unassisted triple play would work as he doesn't follow baseball.

I like that they wanted an awkward name for someone as an outsider would be hard to pronounce.
mazzag
AG
Bregxit said:

JDUB08AG said:

Shivs turn back was too abrupt for me at the end. Honestly though, I like the ending. Had me all in on the Roy family only to have them **** it up one last time. It's appropriate.

Shiv decided being married to the CEO was better for her. Simple selfish decision.

Finally watched. She decided in the interest of her unborn child. SIAP.
deer corn
Tailgate88 said:

deer corn said:

"Greging".

I feel like it would be The Office except with rich people.
Captain Winky
Why does everyone think there is some deeper meaning with the bodyguard being with Kendall at the end? Kendall literally hires him just an episode or two ago to be his bodyguard. This was a very meh ending. Lots of circle jerking with everyone trying to make this show the greatest piece of entertainment ever made.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I would bury the bone deep in Rava. No hate at all

Well, their kid's a different skin color than both of them, so someone other than Ken been there

A) called it

B) so the cabinet maker is Danny duberstein?

A) congrats on deducing that two Jewish people didn't naturally crank out an Indian kid, but forgive me if I don't give you wizard points for that

B) i plead the fif
Aggie09Derek
AG
BowSowy
AG
bullard21k said:

I'm not arguing the deal should or should not happen.

I'm saying it was a focal point for a large portion of the season and then no one from pierce was involved in any capacity at any point for the rest of the series just find odd. Might have been fun to add another layer of chaos the last 2 episodes getting that whole pierce bunch back in the fray wanting to know what's happening with gojo deal and how that would impact them
Because Pierce had no impact at all in the final board vote. Sure, there was a deal agreed upon and maybe that would play out if this show went beyond this last vote. But ultimately, nothing that Pierce could do or say would impact how that final board vote went. As others have pointed out, that whole Pierce storyline was the siblings trying to get back at their dad. Once he was gone, it became irrelevant to the story that was going to unfold.

If they wanted to add more chaos to the vote, they would've gone harder on the dubious GoJo India numbers. I still think they threw up too many red herrings with Mattson that went away too quickly. But ultimately, I don't think that stuff surrounding Mattson mattered too much because it's a story of how these terrible, terribly incompetent people are vying for the crown and came up short.
TCTTS
AG
Captain Winky said:

Why does everyone think there is some deeper meaning with the bodyguard being with Kendall at the end? Kendall literally hires him just an episode or two ago to be his bodyguard. This was a very meh ending. Lots of circle jerking with everyone trying to make this show the greatest piece of entertainment ever made.

Maybe because there literally *is* a deeper meaning there? Kendall hired Colin when he was a man on a mission, having one of his delusional, I-am-the-one episodes. It was a move Kendall made when he was really feeling himself, *at* his dad's funeral, partly in order to *become* his dad. Like a taking of the baton, with Colin playing the part of the baton. The irony, of course, is that Kendall once again then crashed and burned, in epic fashion, and now the one guy outside of the family who knows that Kendall killed someone will be shadowing Kendall's every move from here on out, essentially haunting him as a constant reminder of both his failure and the life he took. Which is especially poignant considering Kendall refusing to admit that he did, in fact, kill the guy was what caused the argument with his siblings to really go sideways, outside of the board room, and thus ultimately lose the vote. I mean, in a show that has been so incredibly considered for four seasons, there's a reason Armstrong decided to end it with THAT exact shot.

But sure, go ahead and dismiss it, while also flippantly referring to the majority of people liking something that has seen endless praise for five years and won multiple awards as a "circle jerk."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
cone said:

once the main character died the show kinda lost all the juice for me

good show but I just didn't care how it ended after Logan died

Logan was never the main character.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Captain Winky said:

I also have no idea why people are reading so much into Colin/Kendall in that final shot. It is what it is.

I still think it's one of the best modern television series ever made. I'd put Jesse Armstrong and his writers room up against any show despite my feelings on the finale. There have been plenty of memes where the description is one of disbelief, chaos, the world getting nuked three times over - and the actual visual is just one of the main characters sitting down and staring off pensively. No swords, no violence, no real cheap cliffhangers or deaths...just a lot of rich white people fighting over money and power and they managed to make it captivating.

Finale was kind of trash IMO but the overall body of work never really missed.
TCTTS
AG
"Trash"? Seriously? I get potentially wanting things to have gone in a different direction, or being somewhat disappointed, but in no world was the finale "trash." You have got to be kidding me.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Captain Winky said:

Do you guys read what you write before posting? I know I should take some of my own medicine at times, but good lord

It's OK for a show not to have resonated with you. That doesn't mean it didn't resonate for the majority of others
-Ben There/R.C.
TCTTS
AG
cone
AG
hard disagree

he was right about everyone else being pygmies
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The show is called Succession, meaning the story is about the Roy children. They're the main characters.

Logan was the driving force of the show, that much is true. But that doesn't make him the protagonist. He was out of commission almost immediately in the first season and the focus was on Kendall, Shiv, and Roman.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My headcanon is he went straight from getting beat up to the airport with just the clothes on his back and headed to his mom, and she sent someone him to pick him up whatever clothes they could find nearby.
Captain Winky
Calm down, I enjoyed this show very much.

There were parts in the last season that just didn't make sense like the scene when Shiv finds out Tom is going to be the CEO. The kids find out and all hop up and say it's time to go to war! Even though they were going to do the same exact thing whether it was Tom or anyone else picked to be the CEO. They were always going to try to tank the deal and freaking out over Tom made no difference. Just creating drama that didn't change anything.
CC09LawAg
You really don't see why it being Tom vs random CEO outsider made a difference to these characters?

Tom, the husband of a main character and father of her child and her perpetual punching bag? Tom, the guy who massively screwed them all over for daddy points? Freaking Midwest vanilla Tom?
rynning
AG
So explain to me why people think Shiv and Tom colluded on her 'no' vote once she learned Tom would be CEO?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.