*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,844 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

mazzag said:

Yes. Seriously. It was a place card holder episode. Had some juice …but it was ridiculous. Roman firing people…I'm like hello you can't do that, where's the sec? Shiv and Tom were the best part of the episode. Not even Greg was good. And I know you adore this series. But if this wasn't the last season I'd be out. Big Love is tons better than this

You'd be out??? We just witnessed an all-time five-episode run and now, after episode six, you'd be out? As hyperbolical as people accuse me of being at times, I have absolutely nothing on this.

Also, Roman not being able to fire people all willy nilly, but doing it anyways, is the entire point. In other words, the pressure is getting to him and Kendall, and we're *supposed* to be witnessing a nose dive of epic proportions. I mean, Gerri even called Roman out on exactly why he couldn't do what he just did. The show is clearly aware of this.
Roman even calls attention to it himself when he talks to Kendall about "rolling them back" afterwards.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Episode started slow, but 2nd half was phenomenal.

I found myself rooting hard for Kendall when he was pressuring the execs on the forecasts in the leadup to the product launch presentation

The Kendall/Karl interaction was gold. I have a lot of respect for Karl because he plays the game so well in all of this

Roman in the car hearing the microdick doctored clip from Kendall in his dad's voice was both funny and depressing. Roman hanging on everything his dad says even if it's not real, and it's still so depressing

Also love that Roman is firing left and right

I root for the kids more and more
Counterpoint
AG
If they were a normal family I would easily know the answer to this, but they're not, so... Was sending that micro-d clip meant to be a light-hearted joke, or was Kendall being an a-hole?
TCTTS
AG
I took it to mean light-hearted joke. Kendall was high on life after that presentation, and just giving Roman sh*t, IMO.
Prosperdick
AG
I still can't believe Gerri didn't throw the dick pic in Roman's face (OK that didn't sound good) when he tried to fire her, especially when he made a quip about handling the lawsuits at Waystar Cruises.

So I wonder what will come back to bite Kendall? Will it be the edited audio of Logan saying doubled growth or the fact that he killed a waiter at Shiv's wedding? Or perhaps he just goes ahead and ****s it up himself in grand fashion.

My prediction is Shiv gets too close with Matsson and she gives him the skinny on Kendall and he somehow gets proof of either the edited footage or the murder and drops a "breaking alert" tweet lol.
WES2006AG
AG
Loved seeing Kendall have his moment. Will make the eventual crash and burn that much sweeter.
Prosperdick
AG
I think a key scene that really dives into Kendall's psyche was when Roman told him about the firings and instead of being upset about not being consulted he already was trying to guess how the chyron would read.

Kendall's entire understanding of the business world is basically a series of chyrons.

Also, unrelated note but did anyone get a Jurassic Park vibe when Ken was talking to his dad on the huge monitor. It reminded me of Hammond talking to himself about DNA splicing...Cox kinda looks like Attenborough too.
rynning
AG
Was I the only one who thought Greg may have screwed up the edit, and Logan was going to call his kids idiots on the big screen?
Robert C. Christian
AG
In case anyone was confused by the Doderick part of "Doderick macht frei". Doderick is the Waystar park mascot. I had forgotten that piece of the show and Greg's time in the suit.

Quinn
AG
TCTTS said:

I took it to mean light-hearted joke. Kendall was high on life after that presentation, and just giving Roman sh*t, IMO.

I think it's something that's usually the normal type of joking they do but it hit hard bc of how the day went for Roman. At the same time, his relationship with his dad is/was so broken that he can't stop listening to it.
cajunaggie08
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

In case anyone was confused by the Doderick part of "Doderick macht frei". Doderick is the Waystar park mascot. I had forgotten that piece of the show and Greg's time in the suit.

Earlier in last nights episode, there was a giant poster for a Doderick movie and I remember thinking that was odd. I mean its not that odd considering this episode was set in their hollywood studio, but we've heard of Waystar being a movie studio company but never saw any allusion to what kind of films they work on until that random poster placement. Then a few minutes later a tweet appears tying Doderick to Auchwitz. I still had to google what they were talking about as I didn't connect that Doderick was their Mickey.
Diggity
AG
Thought it was clever how the writer's mixed in some "Ripped From the Headlines" material into this episode.

Quote:

CNN+ was the brainchild of CNN's former corporate parent, WarnerMedia, and its former president Jeff Zucker, who envisioned a versatile digital product with big-name hosts that could buttress the network amid a decline in traditional cable viewership.

But the service had a powerful skeptic: David Zaslav, the chief executive of Discovery, who was on the verge of completing a merger with WarnerMedia that would put him in control of the news network.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/business/cnn-plus-shutting-down.html
Quinn
AG
There was also a movie poster for their Minions rip-off called "Morons."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I still thought it was my least favorite episode of the season, but the last half hour of the episode brought things back up a bit.

Roman clearly realizing he's been making bad decisions, then trying to talk Kendall out of doing the presentation at least made it clear he hasn't regressed to complete moron who thinks they can do anything.

Mentioned it earlier in the season, Gerri will definitely come into play. I think she's got big moves ahead.

Should be interesting to see if Kendall actually managed to kill the deal. Weirdly, I feel like the deal can't go through, but yet it feels inevitable the sibs will **** up majorly as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

This, BUT Roman is so broken and desperate for Daddy's approval maybe more than anyone, so it clearly cut him pretty deep. Either that, or is sad that he's gone. Maybe it's both.
bonfarr
AG
No way Jerri goes down without exposing Roman's sexual harassment and peen picks right?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Quinn
AG
I'd actually be surprised if that does come out publicly.
Proposition Joe
Feels like its setting up for the old guard vs the new guard with the old guard winning.

Gerri is the most competent one in the business and has leverage over Roman.

Karl just flexed his "muscle" (pun intended) over Kendall.

Frank has been around a long time and knows where all the bodies are buried.
jackie childs
i actually really liked this episode. it wasn't on par with the first five this season, but they were throwing a perfect game this season.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The weakest episode of the season. Maybe the weakest of the past two seasons.

However, that was one of Jeremy Strong's best performances. Him going super tech bro with his big vision pitches despite the pitches being made to people who clearly see none of it is rooted in reality. His confidence getting visibly shaken backstage when Roman tries to talk him out of the launch approach. And then weirdly nailing the presentation while also making what is clearly a bad business decision. It was max Kendall.
Max Power
AG
At first I thought it wasn't a great episode but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. Individually none of the kids are capable of taking Logan's place, but collectively they're a lot stronger than anyone thinks. Kendall has pretty much just annoyed me this season but he actually rose to the occasion, and did a good job during the presentation. Roman doesn't truly want to be the face of the company, he's the details guy. He is comfortable making the call of what's doing well, what's not, and where they should pivot. Shiv has the political background to play the games needed at the top of a massive company. Roman has no desire to play the games like Shiv can either, he doesn't want to play the long game. They all have roles to play, they also all have the ability to call each other on their BS when they make a mistake. I used to think it was a given they shouldn't work together, they're starting to become cohesive, the team they need to be.

I'm not sure that Shiv and Tom stay together or not. I think there were a lot of each of them recognizing each other for what they are. They are codependent on each other, and they basically said as much during the episode.

I couldn't be happier with this season so far, it's going down as best season of the show so far and one of the best seasons of TV ever made.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

mazzag said:

Yes. Seriously. It was a place card holder episode. Had some juice …but it was ridiculous. Roman firing people…I'm like hello you can't do that, where's the sec? Shiv and Tom were the best part of the episode. Not even Greg was good. And I know you adore this series. But if this wasn't the last season I'd be out. Big Love is tons better than this

You'd be out??? We just witnessed an all-time five-episode run and now, after episode six, you'd be out? As hyperbolical as people accuse me of being at times, I have absolutely nothing on this.

Also, Roman not being able to fire people all willy nilly, but doing it anyways, is the entire point. In other words, the pressure is getting to him and Kendall, and we're *supposed* to be witnessing a nose dive of epic proportions. I mean, Gerri even called Roman out on exactly why he couldn't do what he just did. The show is clearly aware of this.
Exactly! These people have done nothing but whatever they want this entire show except when their father **** on them and denied them that. That is gone now, and I am shocked that anyone things this is out of character for Roman or that he was smart. Do you guys not remember him blowing up a ****ing rocket because he moved up the launch day? Do you all not remember hims ending his dad a picture of his own dick? This is the dude people think is too smart too fire someone who didn't respect him enough?
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't take it like that. I think Kendall was really pissed that Roman didn't back him up and he's been wanting to stand over someone for a long time becuase he idolized his father for it and that's really his ambition.
Rudyjax
AG
Found this on a careers page and had to do a double take.
Ervin Burrell
AG
One thing I'm not quite grasping - the whole point of the exaggerated pitch using inflated metrics, projections, etc. was to drive up the sales price above 192, where they believe they'll be out of Mattson's ballpark. Since the pitch was a success, that seems to have been accomplished...why then, are people like Karl and Frank and Hugo (the "old guard") so happy afterwards in the green room? Don't they all want the deal to go down? Karl gets wind of the fuzzy numbers and threatens Ken, and then 30 minutes later he's calling him a genius.

I get they're all happy because apparently the stock price was shooting up...is the old guard not aware that Mattson can't go above 192? Do they not care simply because the stock price started rising and that equals more money to them in some form or fashion?
Proposition Joe
Ervin Burrell said:

One thing I'm not quite grasping - the whole point of the exaggerated pitch using inflated metrics, projections, etc. was to drive up the sales price above 192, where they believe they'll be out of Mattson's ballpark. Since the pitch was a success, that seems to have been accomplished...why then, are people like Karl and Frank and Hugo (the "old guard") so happy afterwards in the green room? Don't they all want the deal to go down? Karl gets wind of the fuzzy numbers and threatens Ken, and then 30 minutes later he's calling him a genius.

I get they're all happy because apparently the stock price was shooting up...is the old guard not aware that Mattson can't go above 192? Do they not care simply because the stock price started rising and that equals more money to them in some form or fashion?

I don't think it's realistic a good pitch would shoot it up above 192 -- so where they will be at will still be within range of Mattson (but still more money in their pocket).

I think the heavily inflated numbers is what would have put it to 192 and above -- and Kendall pulled back on those once his siblings (and Karl) warned him. He went with "solid pitch" not "knock it out of the stratosphere".
cone
AG
Quote:

Individually none of the kids are capable of taking Logan's place, but collectively they're a lot stronger than anyone thinks.
hard disagree
rynning
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Individually none of the kids are capable of taking Logan's place, but collectively they're a lot stronger than anyone thinks.
hard disagree

Wait, so together you get the charm of Shiv, the smarts of Roman, and the balls of Kendall? And they finally start to realize this and appreciate each other's talents and grow the company beyond their father's wildest dreams?

That's an interesting theory, but I don't foresee a fairytale ending to this story.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Ervin Burrell said:

I don't think it's realistic a good pitch would shoot it up above 192 -- so where they will be at will still be within range of Mattson (but still more money in their pocket).

I think the heavily inflated numbers is what would have put it to 192 and above -- and Kendall pulled back on those once his siblings (and Karl) warned him. He went with "solid pitch" not "knock it out of the stratosphere".

But they still ran the edited clip of his dad claiming it's grow that division by double, and ostensibly whatever literature was going to be dispersed to the crowd had the inflated projections since Kendall and Roman were talking about it just minutes before he went on stage. I'm probably just reading too much into it.
An Ag in CO
AG
Kendall, as usual, had nothing real to pitch. So he created his own reality and did well selling a fantasy. But there's no way it would stand up to any type of scrutiny - which it has to do either for a dela or no deal - and he's more on course for a jail cell than the corner office.
cone
AG
i hope karl gets his island

that guy rules
DannyDuberstein
AG
Watch Karl get burned after it comes out that the projections are total bull****

As someone in finance at big corporate, that seen was pretty hilarious. Bringing sales and marketing execs that are just pulling **** out of their ass back to reality was actually a joy of mine.
dallasiteinsa02
DannyDuberstein said:

Watch Karl get burned after it comes out that the projections are total bull****

As someone in finance at big corporate, that seen was pretty hilarious. Bringing sales and marketing execs that are just pulling **** out of their ass back to reality was actually a joy of mine.
As someone from the sales side, that happens to be very conservative in my forecasting, I know the type. We win as a team, and if we are unsuccessful, it is never the finance department's fault.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Why was Shiv actually in the conference room crying?

I figured had something to do with her pregnancy and had nothing to do with her dad like she told Tom.

StringerBell
AG
i think she was crying because her brothers tried to **** her and go behind her back

i think the kids collectively are pretty solid. but they have no clue how to work together and end up competing with eachother becuase they think they can do a better job than eachother.

so it could never work, nor could it be one of the three of them becuase all of them have fatal flaws.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.