*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,869 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm glad it will end on 4 and not drag things out.

I like the show but it's never quite reached "love" for me. It's funny to watch them sheet talk but at the end of the day I don't care at all about any of the characters. A gunman could rob and shoot any of the characters and I really don't think I would care which one. To me that's what it lacks. It's just kind of mindless entertainment to watch for the good jokes and burns.
TCTTS
AG
Man, all indications were pointing to season five being the last, not season four. I appreciate Armstrong wanting the show to go out at the top of its game, but I wasn't at all mentally prepared for this, haha.

If anything, I guess this means a series rewatch is now in order, leading up to March 26...
YNWA_AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Dear god, this looks incredible. They certainly seem to be maximizing every last relationship dynamic, plot line, etc across the past three seasons in order to go out with a bang.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Man, all indications were pointing to season five being the last, not season four.
All? I posted on the last page that Brian Cox implied four would be the last.
TCTTS
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Quote:

Man, all indications were pointing to season five being the last, not season four.
All? I posted on the last page that Brian Cox implied four would be the last.

Everything Jesse Armstrong was saying, in his round of interviews just after the season three finale, implied that the show wasn't going to be around forever, but that season four wasn't going to be the finale either. He even said it himself in that latest The New Yorker piece that the decision wasn't made until basically the last minute. Even when they started writing season four they weren't sure it was going to be the end. That, and most prestige shows announce their final season FAR in advance. At the latest, just after (what ends up being) the penultimate season's finale. It's very, very rare for a series of this caliber to announce "Oh, by the way, this is last season" less than a month before the season premiere, after two trailers had already debuted, neither of which mentioned that this would be it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a series like this go out like this. Hence no one really expecting this (outside of HBO and the production).
scoop12
AG
Is Tom about to jump off the ledge in that scene?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
One week.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad we only have to suffer through one Sunday without a premiere show to watch.
TCTTS
AG
I'm assuming this was caused by The Last of Us dropping from 10 to 9 episodes (combining episodes 1 and 2 into a feature-length pilot), and that the entire HBO slate is meticulously planned out relatively far in advance. So hopefully this is the last gap of the year.
TCTTS
AG
That said, as a refresher, tonight would be a great night to rewatch the season three finale, which is what I'm doing. I haven't had time to do a series rewatch, so this will have to do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finale? I'm doing the whole season. On episode four as we speak.

I always love some of the lines I'd forgotten about, like Shiv asking Tom if he can "thumb screw Greg" to get him back to Waystar.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

That said, as a refresher, tonight would be a great night to rewatch the season three finale, which is what I'm about to. I haven't had time to do a series rewatch, so this will have to do.
I just finished a rewatch about a week ago to remind mysel of all the various stories and potential plot lines, show does not get old with rewatches so far.

I wonder if there is a chance that as they were in the writing room plotting out the story, they realized they didnt have quite enough good ideas to stretch a full season 5. I could see deciding to end it at 4 on a bang being a decision I could make as a creative, vs having 2 sub-perfect seasons instead.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Armstrong essentially said as much. He said they didn't decide that season four would be the last until well into writing the season, after they'd already started filming, even. That said, it increasingly sounds like some kind of spin-off is a possibility, so hopefully this isn't the end end.
TCTTS
AG
As a refresher, I ended up rewatching the final *two* episodes of season three, since they're basically one, long, wedding-set story, and I would highly recommend doing the same. I of course remembered the broad strokes, but there were a lot of little things I forgot, that look to directly impact the beginning of this coming season. That, and both episodes are damn funny, not to mention incredibly dramatic, and IMO up there with the best Succession has ever been.

Man, I can't wait for Sunday.
TCTTS
AG
That said, this is somewhat concerning. Basically, what it means is that the cast shot *nine* episodes of season four before finding out that the series was coming to an end. Granted, Snook says there were "indications throughout production that the show might be winding down," but that the cast read and and shot nine-tenths of the season, and *still* didn't officially know the story was coming to end, tells me this could very well feel like an abrupt series finale. I'll of course wait and reserve judgment, but again, this isn't at all how most prestige series operate. These kinds of endings are usually planned and announced at least an entire season in advance. If anything, it sucks for the cast that they weren't given the courtesy of being able to mentally, emotionally, or even financially plan for the end, and it sounds like Snook, and I'm sure others, were blindsided, if not pissed...

jackie childs
i think it's brilliant...if Logan were producing a prestige television show, he would absolutely not tell anybody that it's the last episode until right before it.

you don't like it? EFF OFF!!!!
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Yeah, Armstrong essentially said as much. He said they didn't decide that season four would be the last until well into writing the season, after they'd already started filming, even. That said, it increasingly sounds like some kind of spin-off is a possibility, so hopefully this isn't the end end.
obviously we will need to wait until the end of this season to understand all the possibilities, but which spin-offs are interesting to you guys?

the obvious one, and probably most interesting to me, is the "rise of Logan" type story.

a continuation of some of the current main cast could be interesting depending on how things shake out. i don't currently have any interest in spending any more time with Kendall or Shiv. Connor's campaign trails would be funny. The fan favorites would be something with Roman or the adventures of Tom and Greg, but tough to see anything carrying another HBO drama.

josh aronson and stewy are the only non-Roy family members i'd have some interested in knowing more about.
Proposition Joe
So you're saying the final episode of this series might look as choreographed as a dog getting ****ed on roller skates?
Quinn
AG
I did find it pretty odd that it was such a late announcement on it being the final season and that is weird that they hadn't told the cast. Like you said, the announcements about the final season of Prestige Dramas going back to LOST has been for years in advance often times. Pretty strange for that to be happening here and then Ted Lasso as well (that one is still not 100% confirmed, right?).
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

As a refresher, I ended up rewatching the final *two* episodes of season three, since they're basically one, long, wedding-set story, and I would highly recommend doing the same. I of course remembered the broad strokes, but there were a lot of little things I forgot, that look to directly impact the beginning of this coming season. That, and both episodes are damn funny, not to mention incredibly dramatic, and IMO up there with the best Succession has ever been.

Man, I can't wait for Sunday.
The whole bit where they are outside in the dirt dealing with Kendall's breakdown was not only great writing and acting, but just also one of the cinematically shot scenes in the show.
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm wondering if he just noped out of another season after seeing HBOMax memory-hole Westworld and some other shows. Didn't that affect those showrunners' future earnings?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. End the show rather than risk being cancelled.

This show has never exactly been a ratings hit, which is unfortunate.
cr06gis
AG
Shiv booty
ChipFTAC01
AG
My wife's cousin has been posting pictures from the Succession wrap party and premiere this past week. I Think her account is locked but there's a hilarious video of the whole cast and crew in a big dancing mob and Brian Cox is just sort of standing in the middle like the crochety old man he is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
**** OFF!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
That was the name of a cocktail at the party. Looks like just an old fashioned.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
An Ag in CO
AG
If there ever was a show that could go out with an abrupt end it's this one. I hope they don't do a 10 years later thing or any crap like that. Just end it with the family still at war - the more things change...
bonfarr
AG
I finally started this show two weeks ago and my wife and I love it. We are halfway through season 3 and will finish just in time for the premiere of 4.

So many good moments in this series with my favorites typically involving Tom and Greg. Great characters on this show, we were squealing in laughter when perverted Roman was getting off to Jerry's humiliation talk.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
Welcome.
InternetFan02
AG
Halfway through season 3 rewatch. It's so much better the 2nd time when you aren't just guessing at what might happen. So much foreshadowing on Tom and Shiv and it's so tragically comically brilliant seeing the breakdown of Ken. Also now analyzing Jeremy strong's state of mind in these scenes in the post Esquire article era makes it more fun. Great actor…great show

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.