*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,983 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
Engine10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just Aggie football things
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Macfayden.

Strong already won for S1 or S2, and while I like Culkin's character, Macfayden's has far more depth to it.

I disagree, I think it's just as deep. Also, Macfadyen won it last year.
Proposition Joe
TCTTS said:

Man, I see just as much depth in Culkin's character/performance as well, especially this season.

I know my opinion is likely in the minority, but... I like Culkin's character and he's fun and all, but I honestly don't find his acting that great. I don't think he's really shown any range, his character has just been written different from S1 to now. I could probably make a case that Braun despite having a much smaller role has shown more range moving from dopey to trying to fit in as a "Roy".

Macfayden has given us an arrogant elitist, a vulnerable romantic, a piece of **** corporate suit, a cut-throat "game player", etc...

I feel the pain when Tom talks. The scene posted above from last night, but I still vividly remember his performance (in S2 I believe?) when Greg tries to tell him about Shiv maybe sleeping around and he just refuses to hear it and lashes out.

I've loved Strong since The Big Short so glad he got his award, but IMO Tom has been the best acted character on this entire show from Day 1.
Proposition Joe
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

Macfayden.

Strong already won for S1 or S2, and while I like Culkin's character, Macfayden's has far more depth to it.

I did not realize that he won it last year. Changes my opinion a bit as I don't mind them sharing the wealth a bit. Glad he got what he deserved.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phrasing
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

Macfayden.

I did not realize that he won it last year. Changes my opinion a bit as I don't mind them sharing the wealth a bit. Glad he got what he deserved.

All good arguments. I still think Macfadyen deserves it. And it's a tight rope on a razor. But Matthew is just so good this season. But this is all coming after the balcony scene. Still 3 episodes left.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm legitimately wondering how they figure out who to give the Emmy to between Kieran Culkin, Jeremy Strong, and Matthew Macfadyen.
Strong will be up for lead actor and probably shouldn't have Brian Cox stealing any votes from him. seems like that one is his to lose, right?

For supporting actor, I think it's gotta be Macfadyen, though Culkin has been great.

I'd imagine Snook gets a ton of consideration for supporting actress too. Shiv has always annoyed me as a character, but Snook's performance has been really strong this season.

Maybe Culkin should say he's identifying as a Lead Actress this year and see if they can get the clean sweep?
CoppellAg93
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm legitimately wondering how they figure out who to give the Emmy to between Kieran Culkin, Jeremy Strong, and Matthew Macfadyen.
Strong will be up for lead actor and probably shouldn't have Brian Cox stealing any votes from him. seems like that one is his to lose, right?

For supporting actor, I think it's gotta be Macfadyen, though Culkin has been great.

I'd imagine Snook gets a ton of consideration for supporting actress too. Shiv has always annoyed me as a character, but Snook's performance has been really strong this season.

Maybe Culkin should say he's identifying as a Lead Actress this year and see if they can get the clean sweep?
Well done - POTD !
Phrasing
AG
Could they put Cox in as Guest Actor? Any other shows up for writing might as well stay home as well. The writing has been phenomenal this year again.
PatAg
AG
I think I remember some discussions of Culkin submitting for Lead Actor this year?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, and Snook as well.

Whatever happens, I see it getting the Breaking Bad treatment at the Emmys this year, as its final sendoff.

I think it sweeps all the actor categories, Best Drama, and probably Best Writing.

If I had to guess:

Best Actor - Kieran Culkin (A sort of "career" win for the series overall)
Best Actress - Sarah Snook
Best Supporting Actor - Matthew Macfadyen

Brian Cox has a legit shot at Best Guest Actor, if that's where he submits. But, he does have some strong competition from Nick Offerman for Last of Us.

Only reason I see Culkin over Strong is that Jeremy Strong hasn't been as much in the forefront this season as in the past, and he already has an Emmy.
Teddy Perkins
AG
This breaks my heart for Better Call Saul. But I get it.
Phrasing
AG
And lost in all of this is Alan Ruck who has stolen every scene he has been in this year. I wish he could get something as well but just so much talent out there.
Max Power
AG
I don't really know how the different organizations determine lead vs supporting, which feels especially difficult in an ensemble cast like Succession. I feel like Culkin has made more of this season than maybe any of the other actors have. I think he's doing more than they are. Highlights of his that are all very different:

-The entire episode on the boat getting information from Tom, trying to process it, ultimately just sitting on the floor looking lost.
-The scene with Mattson on the top of the mountain.
-Interactions with Gerri and the head of the studio.
-The entire sequence with Connor about leaving the race.

Whether he's leading or supporting I think he's hitting the hardest this season. I feel like we've seen the best that the other actors have to offer, McFadyen is great as Tom but this has been Roman's season IMO. He's also evidently going to do the big speech at the funeral IIRC.
Proposition Joe
I could give or take Cox as best actor/supporting. His acting in this show hasn't been some tour de force, and he's not won for far greater acting jobs. I feel like his performance is more the writing than his acting.
The Milkman
AG
I thought the actors determined themselves which category no?
Tobias Funke
AG
The Milkman said:

That was a hilarious scene in season 2 when they bought the winery and were tasting it, realizing it was terrible. Gave me a couple lines I use often when drinking wine.

"It's a bit agricultural"
"This is one you kind of need to meet in the middle"
I use that second one pretty frequently now
HtownAg92
AG
Phrasing said:

And lost in all of this is Alan Ruck who has stolen every scene he has been in this year. I wish he could get something as well but just so much talent out there.
I know that he is remembered most fondly as Cameron, but seeing a "robbery gone bad" video reminded me of his brief yet powerful scene in Bad Boys (no not that one, the one with Sean Penn).

DannyDuberstein
AG
Great episode. The Tom-Shiv blowup was amazing

And on a sidenote, like Greg, I work for a massive company and have literally been told by HR that I was the best at firing people after we did a restructuring a few years ago. My wife about died laughing at that comment of "I look like I care but I don't". Hit kind of close to home I think
DannyDuberstein
AG
For the record, it was not in a group setting - did them one by one, but it was via Zoom since our office had not reopened yet due to covid
MaroonStain
AG
Back to back firings??
TriAg2010
AG
Sex Panther said:

There has been a ton of hinting someone jumps, but it's almost always Kendall

I think Gerri tells Kendall not to jump way back in S1 when she tells him Logan has some big convertible debt hanging over the company's head.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Great episode. The Tom-Shiv blowup was amazing

And on a sidenote, like Greg, I work for a massive company and have literally been told by HR that I was the best at firing people after we did a restructuring a few years ago. My wife about died laughing at that comment of "I look like I care but I don't". Hit kind of close to home I think
It's giving Up in the Air with George Clooney and Anna Kendrick.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Curious to see how Shiv being preggo is going to come back into play.
Unemployed
AG
Tom Wambsgans.

I just can't get over how silly his last name sounds. It's like a character in Star Wars.
Rudyjax
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Curious to see how Shiv being preggo is going to come back into play.
She'll have a baby. duh.
The Milkman
AG
My friends and I have been slipping our favorite Ewan quotes into text convos. I highly recommend you do the same.

"The man is a self-regarding popinjay"
Ervin Burrell
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard much butt hurt on this thread over the portrayal of Fox News in the show.
"Go full 'they're coming to get your guns, hormone therapy, all of your guns are going to be ladies'"
WES2006AG
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard much butt hurt on this thread over the portrayal of Fox News in the show.
The preview for next week had a very post-election Fox News feel to it.
TCTTS
AG
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

I knew Marcia screwed Connor over!!!
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, this is Kendall's place, not Logan's.
TCTTS
AG
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Logan's place is a set, since they shoot there so much. But the kids' places all look to be real locations.
Prophet00
AG
I just want to plan a vacation at the Norwegian Ex Machina retreat.

It's actually pretty reasonably priced
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI, this is Kendall's place, not Logan's.
Oh well...FTR I still think Marcia screwed him over.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.