*** SUCCESSION *** (Season 4)

138,939 Views | 1598 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MASAXET
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

If she miscarried there at the end, she would have had next to no emotional journey, re: the pregnancy, no other character would have known, and it would affect the plot in basically no way. Why introduce a pregnancy only to then drop a plotline that significant in the very same episode, without it affecting literally anything? I'm not saying it won't happen, but that would make absolutely no sense to me.
She will 100% miscarry. Pregnant woman falling down stairs is one of the biggest TV tropes of all time. The conversation with her doc when she asked if she had any spotting or bleeding just screams something is going to happen. Shiv is about to lose it all. Her part of running things. Her baby. Her husband. Or maybe it all brings her and Tom back together since he is getting frozen out as well.
TCTTS
AG
Or… Shiv could get screwed by Kendal and Roman (something I agree will happen), but at least she'll have a kid to focus on, one she'll either screw up like her parents screwed up with her - or - she can choose to break the chain.

LawHall88
AG
k20dub said:

TCTTS said:

We might very well be witnessing one of greatest television seasons of all time. This is some epic, backstabbing, heartbreaking, Shakespearean sh*t. So many highly charged, emotionally suppressed, series-long threads coming to a head, weaving together in brilliant fashion. Just incredible stuff all around.

Also, that's four consecutive days across four consecutive episodes now. I think the ten consecutive days, ten consecutive episodes thing is looking more and more like a reality now.

Especially since Mattson's people asked if they come come in the next 24 hours and the preview has them in Sweden next episode. So definitely tracks.

The "one episode a day" structure was confirmed on the Ringer Succession podcast.
TCTTS
AG
Bregxit said:

TCTTS said:

If she miscarried there at the end, she would have had next to no emotional journey, re: the pregnancy, no other character would have known, and it would affect the plot in basically no way. Why introduce a pregnancy only to then drop a plotline that significant in the very same episode, without it affecting literally anything? I'm not saying it won't happen, but that would make absolutely no sense to me.
She will 100% miscarry. Pregnant woman falling down stairs is one of the biggest TV tropes of all time. The conversation with her doc when she asked if she had any spotting or bleeding just screams something is going to happen. Shiv is about to lose it all. Her part of running things. Her baby. Her husband. Or maybe it all brings her and Tom back together since he is getting frozen out as well.

Again, I'm not saying it won't happen, but in all the TV I've consumed, I've seen approximately zero pregnant women fall down stairs, resulting in miscarriages, so I wouldn't exactly call it a trope. Do you watch a lot of soaps or something?
BowSowy
AG
TCTTS said:

Or… Shiv could get screwed by Kendal and Roman (something I agree will happen), but at least she'll have a kid to focus on, one she'll either screw up like her parents screwed up with her - or - she can choose to break the chain.

This episode had multiple jokes about how Logan never cared for his grandkids. It would feel cheap if Shiv's storyline ended with her focusing on a kid.

Also, knowing Shiv's character, do you think she'd be content focusing on a kid?
TCTTS
AG
It wouldn't feel cheap to me at all, especially if they end it by essentially posing the question, "Does this kid have any chance of being loved/not f/cked up?" (Not pose the question literally, but thematically.) The series is called Succession, after all. Which, on the surface, obviously refers to who takes over for Logan, but it could also be in regards to the legacy/lessons his four kids might pass along as well, represented via Shiv.
GreasenUSA
AG
Shiv falling down is just a culmination of her story through the whole show. She played her cards wrong the entire time, she has no lifeline, and no path to the top (as of now). It was simply an "insult to injury" moment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic episode.

Some standout hilarious moments for me:

- The siblings' laughter at Kendall's "He didn't even hug his grandchildren".
- Greg's "nevertheless", and Karl laughing in his face about being Ken's #2.
- Roman's "We're not playing Chutes and Ladders, our dad just died."

All the backstabbing is such fantastic tv. Really feels like Tom, Shiv, and Greg are all ****ed.

Surprised at Hugo's stupidity. Not sure how he maneuvers from here, but that's definitely gonna play an important role. I guess they just needed a way to get him 100% behind Kendall.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

Bregxit said:

TCTTS said:

Again, I'm not saying it won't happen, but in all the TV I've consumed, I've seen approximately zero pregnant women fall down stairs, resulting in miscarriages, so I wouldn't exactly call it a trope. Do you watch a lot soaps or something?
I'd love to find a list but unfortunately when I Google it all I get is a bunch of articles about the feels of miscarriage or politics of abortion.

My wife and I have seen enough of it that as soon as Shiv fell I said "she's going to lose the baby" and my wife agreed. I wish I could list some but the only one that comes to mind is Gaby in Desperate Housewives. I know there has been a bizzilion more or we wouldn't call it out.

I'll see if I can improve my Google-fu and find something.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Bregxit said:

TCTTS said:

Again, I'm not saying it won't happen, but in all the TV I've consumed, I've seen approximately zero pregnant women fall down stairs, resulting in miscarriages, so I wouldn't exactly call it a trope. Do you watch a lot soaps or something?
Even if its a trope, this show isn't exactly formulaic. They dont do the boring obvious things. If she does end up losing it because of that, it will be one of the only instances where this show has awful writing.

She's frazzled from her dad dying, she feels like she is getting cut out of next steps and everything is going wrong. So then she slips on the step and her reaction is basically "****ing of course I do, quit laughing my dad died"
Bregxit
AG
Grrrr alright dammit. $100 bet to charity of choice to any one taker. Shiv has a miscarriage.

TCTTS
AG
Count me in. Shiv does NOT have a miscarriage.

TCTTS
AG
And just to be clear, in case of shenanigans, I'm saying Shiv does not have a miscarriage due to her falling down the steps in *this* episode. I'm not ruling out her potentially having a miscarriage later in the season, due to a different accident, or due to natural causes, after Tom learns that she's pregnant, or news of the pregnancy has been able to have more of an impact on the plot, her arc, etc.
cone
AG
thanks for that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

We did not know that Shiv was pregnant. Big surprise. Considering the doctor said she's 20 months, and the end of season three took place roughly three months ago, yeah, one would assume that it's Tom's, having done the deed before he shivved Shiv.

TCTTS
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

And just to be clear, in case of shenanigans, I'm saying Shiv does not have a miscarriage due to her falling down the steps in *this* episode. I'm not ruling out her potentially having a miscarriage later in the season, due to a different accident, or due to natural causes, after Tom learns that she's pregnant, or news of the pregnancy has been able to have more of an impact on the plot, her arc, etc.
Ehhh, I'm saying she has a miscarriage. Yea or nay. No qualifiers.
TCTTS
AG
Then the bet's off. Because I'm simply arguing that they're not going to both introduce and end a pregnancy in the same episode, without it affecting the plot in any way.

It's a completely different situation/argument, however, if Shiv is *still* healthily pregnant after tonight's episode, she tells Tom she's pregnant, they get back together, Shiv's character arc is altered because of her pregnancy, etc, and THEN she suffers a miscarriage due to an unrelated incident, as unlikely as that would be.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

Then the bet's off. Because I'm simply arguing that they're not going to both introduce and end a pregnancy in the same episode, without it affecting the plot in any way.

It's a completely different situation/argument, however, if Shiv is *still* healthily pregnant after tonight's episode, she tells Tom she's pregnant, they get back together, Shiv's character arc is altered because of her pregnancy, etc, and THEN she suffers a miscarriage due to an unrelated incident, as unlikely as that would be.
Ok.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
GreasenUSA said:

Shiv falling down is just a culmination of her story through the whole show. She played her cards wrong the entire time, she has no lifeline, and no path to the top (as of now). It was simply an "insult to injury" moment.

It is OBVIOUS that Shiv has had sex with one or both of her brothers, Targaryen style, and has created some sort of super-baby that is an amalgam of all 3 Roy siblings who will eventually take control of the company.

I mean it is there in the last name - "Roy" from the Old French for "king".

Shiv will have literally won the Game of Thrones.
Proposition Joe
Quote:

We might very well be witnessing one of greatest television seasons of all time.

Until you hand this out like candy to another show 6 months from now
TCTTS
AG
I've literally only ever said the same about one other show, and that was True Detective season one, nine years ago, but sure.
WES2006AG
AG
That takedown of Tom was epic. Love seeing Tom and Greg squirming now the they see how tenuous their position has always been.
cone
AG
lol what a brushback pitch
TCTTS
AG
Any more snide comments you want to direct my way? That's two now for no reason whatsoever.
Prosperdick
AG
I loved Marcia trying to establish a relationship that clearly no longer existed between herself and Roy via Kendall.

Also, Connor getting ripped off with the 63 million offer that Marcia accepts immediately with a Deadwood agreement. Con clearly doesn't know how to negotiate but that's painfully obvious with his relationship with Willa, who also had the best line: "The honeymoon states!"
cone
AG
just here for the show
PatAg
AG
Bregxit said:

TCTTS said:

Ehhh, I'm saying she has a miscarriage. Yea or nay. No qualifiers.
That's not what you were saying at all
PatAg
AG
WES2006AG said:

That takedown of Tom was epic. Love seeing Tom and Greg squirming now the they see how tenuous their position has always been.
So many different things were happening within this episode, and different characters having some of their best moments (Karl anyone?), glad you brought this up. Hard to imagine the position they find themselves in after essentially hitching their wagon to Logan. That moment where Karl and team just tell Tom how it really is, in an incredibly blunt way...brutal
rynning
AG
PatAg said:

WES2006AG said:

So many different things were happening within this episode, and different characters having some of their best moments (Karl anyone?), glad you brought this up. Hard to imagine the position they find themselves in after essentially hitching their wagon to Logan. That moment where Karl and team just tell Tom how it really is, in an incredibly blunt way...brutal
Both Tom and Shiv are entering very low points in their lives. Both being pushed out, miscarriage, desperate "I'm here to serve", etc. I'm hoping they'll find happiness with each other by the end of the season.
Captain Winky
I wish I had Shiv's confidence and delusion about my abilities because I don't understand how or why she thinks she is fit to manage in any capacity. She is a bumbling idiot any time an important conversation takes place and has almost zero experience. It gets kind of annoying her feeling slighted when she would be horrible at the job.
Proposition Joe
Captain Winky said:

I wish I had Shiv's confidence and delusion about my abilities because I don't understand how or why she thinks she is fit to manage in any capacity. She is a bumbling idiot any time an important conversation takes place and has almost zero experience. It gets kind of annoying her feeling slighted when she would be horrible at the job.
I think she is perfect and shown her skills for the political world and erroneously feels like that directly translates to the business world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also I feel for Shiv in that she's been the only one who was ever actually told by Logan that she'd be the CEO.
Robert C. Christian
AG
PatAg said:

WES2006AG said:

This man just wants to get paid and live on a private island. Most relatable character on the show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.