**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

367,739 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Rex Racer
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
My simplistic answer is that Judas has free-agency; although an omniscient creator of the universe can predict with accuracy future choices of humans. The predictability of a choice does not prohibit free will.
True, but prophesy is not "prediction" if it comes from an omniscient being. It means God has already seen that choice had been made by Judas. God is omni-temperal, meaning He...is. His perspective is outside what we perceive to be time (chronos in the Greek, chronologically). He is existing with Adam in the Garden, right now. He is existing on the Cross, right now. He is existing a millennia in the future, right now.

Now if God sees Judas make this decision before Judas is even born, it means Judas made the choice prior to Judas existing. If that is so, an omniscient and omnipotent being placed Judas in that exact moment for that exact betrayal, or kairos in the Greek meaning at the (pre)appointed time or at the supreme moment.

In essence, do you have agency, or do you have agency to do as you were meant (predetermined) to do?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Bran needs a constant, you know, just in case.
Summer
The Debt
How about a totem?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We have to go deeper.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
OH OH! What if you TURN INTO A CRYING TREE WHEN YOU GET STUCK?!? Then you're stuck in a, literally, vegetable state, just constantly watching the world happening but unable to do anything about it.
Not a bad theory.
Those trees where put there by the gods. According to old Nan in Season 1
Unless you knew otherwise, that seems like a plausible explanation for "guy got stuck while time traveling and then became a tree"
I could see it turning into another explanation for a religion. We've seen that the Lord of Light actually DOES stuff, and we've seen that the Many Faced God also DOES stuff. Not that we understand completely, but these aren't just stories. Well the trees could be the same thing for the Old Gods, some sort of supernatural power that turned into a religion for the people in the north. Maybe Bran learns a little bit about how this supernatural power works and he harnesses it as a means to impact the world around him.
The Debt
There is a theory that once the dragons were reborn, magic started working again. Thats the main reason the magicians of Qarth wanted to keep Dany and the dragons. What if the old gods in the trees have been dormant because the dragons (magic) was fading?

I dont buy the theory that dragons cause magic, they may be correlated to magic, but not causal. The witch used blood magic on Drogo prior to the dragons. The Old Gods have been watching with and without dragons. The WWs resurrected the dead in S1E1, first 5 mins. And I believe Bran had a dream prior to S1E10.
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:
Bran needs a constant, you know, just in case.
Summer
Summer would have been a pup or not born.
John Snow if true he is in the castle? Does the constant have to be mature enough to remember events?
Independent George
AG
Benjen shows up just in time to be Brans constant.... it could happen.
Independent George
AG
I could see the above theory play out though. At the end of Brans training the Three Eyed Raven becomes completely covered in the tree becoming a "laughing tree" or Godswood.

It will be interesting to see if this morphs into something more or if he is simply gonna be the one to enlighten everyone of how past events actually happened.
smokeythebear
AG
What is the "constant" y'all are referring to? (Sorry if a picture explained it, I don't get many to load at work).
The Debt
quote:
It will be interesting to see if this morphs into something more
The Night's King?

Independent George
AG
quote:
What is the "constant" y'all are referring to? (Sorry if a picture explained it, I don't get many to load at work).
Refers to the show "Lost", many posters here also posted on that monstrous thread during the show.

There was an episode called "The Constant" (one of the greats of all time IMO) in which one of the characters gets stuck in between a couple of timelines. He needed a constant, or someone he knew in both time periods to help him get unstuck and prevent a quite unpleasant death.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phone call to Penny is one of the all-time great television scenes.
mhayden
quote:
OH OH! What if you TURN INTO A CRYING TREE WHEN YOU GET STUCK?!? Then you're stuck in a, literally, vegetable state, just constantly watching the world happening but unable to do anything about it.

You know, like Troll 2.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Thanks for the explanation. I watched a little bit of Lost early on, but had no idea what yall were talking about.
Independent George
AG
Absolutely! Now, back to GOT.

I can't wait to see how the rest of this season turns out. Things I hope happen:

• Awesome Winterfell Battle/Ramsey Death
  • Dany and the mega Dothraki army destroy the east and take all the ships
  • Hodor background
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
There is a theory that once the dragons were reborn, magic started working again. Thats the main reason the magicians of Qarth wanted to keep Dany and the dragons. What if the old gods in the trees have been dormant because the dragons (magic) was fading?

I dont buy the theory that dragons cause magic, they may be correlated to magic, but not causal. The witch used blood magic on Drogo prior to the dragons. The Old Gods have been watching with and without dragons. The WWs resurrected the dead in S1E1, first 5 mins. And I believe Bran had a dream prior to S1E10.
Maybe this has more to do with Winter? As Winter approaches, more and more magic starts to work again? AKA why the white walkers are functioning again, why the dragons are growing so big, and why Bran's skills are so pronounced? Since this is going to be a really big Winter, that may explain why the magic is more prevalent than usual.
Really???
The white walkers are active because it's winter.

The dragons are pretty small for now. This is a skull from one of the earlier seasons:

Bran's skills are getting better because he's being trained.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
Absolutely! Now, back to GOT.

I can't wait to see how the rest of this season turns out. Things I hope happen:

• Awesome Winterfell Battle/Ramsey Death
  • Dany and the mega Dothraki army destroy the east and take all the ships
  • Hodor background

I bet we don't get more from Hodor. I have a feeling that was just a lesson to Bran that things are not always as they appear at first glance. I agree with you, I'd like it if they explained that for us, but it could also be too far away from the plot to be of any real use.

I wonder if they will show the Mad King or Raegar in any of his visions? So far, history tells us these were both evil people, but history was written by the winners. I wonder what Bran's opinion would be if he saw them as they were before the great war.
LHIOB
AG
The Dragons were kept in captivity and they stopped growing so large. The last Dragon was no bigger than a cat.
smokeythebear
AG
Wow, yea that certainly puts things into perspective.
Joan Wilder
AG
Hang on, getting choked up thinking about the phone call to Penny.

I keep wondering if Benjen is the King of the white walkers.

Also I'm pretty sure the show runners said Dany dropped her ring to allow people to track her.

Goldie Wilson
quote:
The white walkers are active because it's winter
Are we sure it's not the other way around? I.e., it's winter because the WW are active
The Debt
quote:
The white walkers are active because it's winter.
They experience winters every couple of years, but WW's havent been active for over a 1000 years. No one believes they exist, just like we dont think dragons exist today.

Old Nan called the first WW attack as The Long Night, where lords would be holed up in their castles frozen solid, spiders the size of hounds, undead horses, etc.
chipotle
I bet we get more sam and gilly for the rest of the season.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I wonder if they will show the Mad King or Raegar in any of his visions? So far, history tells us these were both evil people, but history was written by the winners. I wonder what Bran's opinion would be if he saw them as they were before the great war.
I think everyone agrees that the Mad King was evil, but remember Ser Barristan talking about Rhaegar to Dany. Talking about how her brother liked to sing and never really liked killing.
The Debt
Rhaegar loved women, he was an adulterer sure. But so was Robert Baratheon and, ahem, Eddard Stark.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Um. Spoiler?
Goldie Wilson
Dude. Come on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I suggest editing that quick or you're risking a ban.
Sentinel
AG
Just report it and move on.

I can't wait to see what's in the tower.
Aggie_3
theres no spoiler its just on the dudes imdb page it doesn't say in what role hes going to play so chill peeps

[It would be a spoiler if you were correct. Don't go down that path--Staff]
Aggie_3
it would be a spoiler if I came in and said he is going to be doing this and this in this episode but I didn't because no one knows
Sentinel
AG
Interesting. I didn't see it on IMDb.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The fact that the actor is appearing at all a spoiler.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.