**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

356,640 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're right! But I don't think we know how they did it, just that Stannis brought a ton of people in to help find a cure and one of them worked.
GMM
quote:
That kid who did the young Hodor did a kick ass job. I'll always remember hearing him calling out in that scene

Absolutely. I was more sad about young Wyllis becoming Hodor than I was about Hodor being attacked by the zombies.
M.C. Swag
AG
For those who complain about LF's travel jump or left field characters:

The story is at a tipping point. All of these narratives need to start coming together and they've only got a finite time to do so. Would it really make the show better to show LF trudging through the North for 4 episodes to sate your expectations of travel? Or would you really like for GoT to dedicate some foundational episodes to Euron Greyjoy to establish himself as a man with little brother syndrome? Or can we skip all that BS and cut straight to the point?

It's like in the Dark Knight Rises (which clearly had its issues) but people were focused on how Batman travelled back to Gotham after escaping the pit? Really? That's your hangup? You'd rather bloat the movie with a 5 minute montage of Bruce hitch-hiking on rafts and cargo planes than show something that actually impacts the plot?

Basically, there's a difference between plot holes and plot shortcuts. One is lazy screenwriting, the other is strictly about being time conscious.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I'm thinking Jorah goes to try and find Quaithe in Qarth for help.

smokeythebear
AG
I just don't understand why Bran was in that greenseer vision? Why wouldn't he just come back and then regular warg Hodor like he's done before? Why did he have to try and warg the younger Hodor?

The Three Eyed Raven told them they must all leave at once, but then him and Bran go back into another greensee vision? Why?

The only real answer I can come up with is that the TER was trying to make Bran mess up and warg IN a greensee to teach him the consequences of trying to change the past. Seems rather silly that a man who lived in a tree for a thousand years, and the children of the forest who are even older than that, all died without really much understandable cause.

Also, how did Bran continue his greensee vision once he was taken from the tree?
The Debt
quote:

quote:
He caused the past before he was in existence. (?)
Anyone remember the book "Slaughterhouse-Five"? All events/time is happening simultaneously forever. People with a power like Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven can choose what they want to experience and perceive.

That is kinda how I have been thinking of it now, may be way off though.

Oh absolutely. I think the TER/Bran (Oracle) is able to see and "make history" because they exist outside the realm of what we perceive time to be. The world around them is just playing out their individual roles.

I have this weird feeling that the final scene of bran is him talking to Ned through the weirwood trees, comforting his father, guiding his father. The final whisper: winter is coming.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm referring to the theory that she will be asked to kill a family member, not just an actress who she thinks may not deserve to be killed.
So am I. Arya isn't stupid. I'm suggesting that she doesn't have to get sent to kill a family member before she has that crisis of conscience. If that is what it takes, it will be a disservice to the character.
I typed "REALLY" in all caps because Arya has obviously already had the crisis of conscience as you put it and expressed some doubt about killing the actress who may/may not be innocent. However, that doesn't qualify as her REALLY not wanting to kill someone. She did not strongly object at all. She just questioned the need. So, that's why I referred to the theory that she may eventually be asked to kill someone she knows and loves. THAT (all caps) is what would truly test her commitment to being a faceless assassin.
mhayden
I don't think anyone ever said it was a plot hole, it's just poor writing (whether it be the books or the show, I know not which). The Greyjoys have had a role in this series since the beginning, and while not wholly fleshed out, we knew their backstory and the major players.

3 episodes ago their King was tossed off a bridge by a character we'd never seen or really heard of before in a few minutes screentime. With a few more minutes of screentime this week he is now King of the Iron Borne.

It would be like if Jon Snow and Sansa rallied all of the North together and then suddenly Ned Stark's evil 2nd brother that we'd previously never heard of comes in and usurps them both.
Smee
So y'all would be OK with this if Euron had been mentioned twice before this episode?
Trident 88
AG
quote:
I don't think anyone ever said it was a plot hole, it's just poor writing (whether it be the books or the show, I know not which). The Greyjoys have had a role in this series since the beginning, and while not wholly fleshed out, we knew their backstory and the major players.

3 episodes ago their King was tossed off a bridge by a character we'd never seen or really heard of before in a few minutes screentime. With a few more minutes of screentime this week he is now King of the Iron Borne.

It would be like if Jon Snow and Sansa rallied all of the North together and then suddenly Ned Stark's evil 2nd brother that we'd previously never heard of comes in and usurps them both.
This is where reading the books helps. The show has obviously had to neglect a couple of families, provided less background info...
MW03
AG
I just want to say that Dany's hotness was on point last night in that scene with Jorah.

COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
I'm thinking Jorah goes to try and find Quaithe in Qarth for help.

I think he will end up seeking out Davos.

Also, just a reminder that Jorah's dad was LC when Jon went to the watch.
mhayden
quote:
quote:

This is where reading the books helps. The show has obviously had to neglect a couple of families, provided less background info...

I get that... which is why I said I'm not sure who deserves the blame for that poor writing (and obviously if it was in the books, then it's the TV writers).

There's been a LOT of dead weight in this show where we go to locations and see the same characters do the same things seemingly 3-4 times a season. Weaving in a few storyline segments where the guy who is now King of one of the major families actually had a backstory fleshed out in the previous half a decade would have been prudent.

I don't need 50 segments devoted to his backstory, but I also didn't need 50 segments devoted to dialogue about how the masters and the slaves in Meereen will never get along. We get that. We got that in Season 4.
Trident 88
AG
Fair point.

ETA: Which is why I'm glad I read the books... Euron isn't really given much of any coverage in them, but at least he's mentioned so his appearance in the show wasn't a "WTF" moment for me.
Teddy Perkins
AG
That makes a lot of sense too. That would help bring Jon Snow and Dany together to take the iron throne and fight the white walkers together.
HtownAg92
AG
Maybe the Essos Red Priestess can cure him...while naked.

Question about the White Walkers:

Is there a finite number of them? I know that they were re-upping their supply with Craster's sacrificial kids, and now we know that at least one of them (probably many more) was created by the Children. Seems the most we have ever seen in one place is 4. The king seems to travel with only 3 others in support. Jon picked off one at Hardhome and the girl got another one last night at the tree.

If there are more, where are they?
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I rewatched the last scene again and did anyone else think the WW that was killed with the spear looked very much like the one Jon killed last season at Hardhome? Do they come back to life in new bodies or just a similar WW?
No, I think Jon killed Willie Nelson White Walker. Had some long braids or something. I remember Dragonbrag referring to him that way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
After thinking about it, I think I finally made sense of what happened with Bran/Hodor.

Bran didn't warg into past Hodor at Winterfell, but he essentially made past Hodor warg into present Hodor. He sent the young Hodor's consciousness into old Hodor, so the Hodor that was holding the door was essentially the young, "smart" Hodor, and once he died, the young body was left mindless for the rest of his life.

Thoughts? Or was this obvious and I just now got it?
M.C. Swag
AG
Yes, pacing and bloated plotlines have been an issue in GoT, but now that the show has outpaced the book you can actually see how they're trying to remedy that this year. I feel like we've had more advancement in these 5 episodes than any collective season.

For instance:
- They completely abandoned Yara's rescue attempt of Theon (believe it was end of S4 she rides off to rescue him?) - If they had intended it to end in failure with Yara limping back to the Iron Islands, then I agree with their choice to axe it. It added nothing to the end game of the situation.

- They are going warp speed with Sana's and Bran's story - things are taking place that actually impact the overall conflict. (Sansa rallying an army to fight Ramsay and Bran providing crucial background to the WW. Now that he's out of the cave, I can only hope that he makes it to Castle Black and we have our first trio of Starks together since S1.)

The 2 stories that are still bogged down:
Mereen is a mess but I was relieved to see that it only took 3 episodes for Dany to recruit the Dothraki back into her fold. (This could easily have been a season long dilemma)

King's landing - I feel like they've just been in a holding pattern here until the above locations can catch up. I find myself bored with the High Sparrow/Tyrel/Cersei conflict.

The Debt
The scene when we say Crasters infant son with the Nights King there were 13. However if you count the child he would #14 (if in fact the child becomes a WW). If that is true, Craster has been offering sons for decades and who knows if other wildlings do too.

Wights (zombies) seem endless.
Muy
AG
Not sure how the whole Hodor time loop worked, doesn't matter. Cool way to tie it all together in a badass yet sad. scene of him holding back the Whitewalkers.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
The 2 stories that are still bogged down:
Mereen is a mess but I was relieved to see that it only took 3 episodes for Dany to recruit the Dothraki back into her fold. (This could easily have been a season long dilemma)

King's landing - I feel like they've just been in a holding pattern here until the above locations can catch up. I find myself bored with the High Sparrow/Tyrell/Cersei conflict.
If the show still had GRRM books to follow, I think it's likely that more than just these 2 stories would have remained bogged down. The show no longer has an infinite number of book details to sift through and figure out what to include, so now it's becoming the type of fast-paced entertainment better suited for peeple hoo dont reed to well.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Maybe the Essos Red Priestess can cure him...while naked.

She was wearing that same neckless, so she should at least keep that on.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
The scene when we say Crasters infant son with the Nights King there were 13. However if you count the child he would #14 (if in fact the child becomes a WW). If that is true, Craster has been offering sons for decades and who knows if other wildlings do too.

Right, I think it is important to point out the difference between a WW and a wight going forward. When people are re-animated, they come back as wights. But you have to be still living to be turned into an official White Walker, I believe. So the White Walkers actually ride on wight horses, not White Walker horses.

So yea, that badass wildling chick from the Hardhome battle would only come back as a wight, not a WW. Same goes for a dead Jon Snow, or a dead Hodor.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
What is truly intriguing is the timeline here

Scenario #1
1) Children of the Forest exist, Weirwood trees exist
2) Andals (man) come to westeros, kill Children
3) Children create WWs to kill man
4) Some Andal has the ability to warg and wargs with the Weirwood trees, becomes the Oracle, can see 1-inifinity
5) happy ending

Scenario #2
1) Weirwood trees exist
2) Children come into existence, reside in trees
3) Andals come to Westeros, kill Children
4) Children create WWs to kill man,
5) Some Andal becomes the Weirwood-incarnate (in the flesh) (same as #4 from first scenario)
6) Weirwoods serve eviction notices to the Children living inside her
7) Weirwoods serve eviction notice to all things. It is the Many Faced God; it is Death.

The mindfck of scenario 2 is: did the Weirwood bring the Andals here to end life? This whole thing is a response to the Children. hahah. We like to think the Children and the Tree are symbiotic or friendly, but no one ASKED the tree. How would you feel is some parasites started living in you and making doorways through your flesh?
Andals came WAY after the WW/Wall was built.

It was the First Men that interacted with the CotF and the WW.

Also, it is the decedents of the First Men that have the Warg ability
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
so now it's becoming the type of fast-paced entertainment better suited for peeple hoo dont reed to well.
Look at me, I can read books.
The Debt
quote:
quote:

Right, I think it is important to point out the difference between a WW and a wight going forward. When people are re-animated, they come back as wights. But you have to be still living to be turned into an official White Walker, I believe. So the White Walkers actually ride on wight horses, not White Walker horses.

So yea, that badass wildling chick from the Hardhome battle would only come back as a wight, not a WW. Same goes for a dead Jon Snow, or a dead Hodor.
Interesting question, where did the other 12 WWs come from? Did the CotF seed all 13? Does the Nights King merely have to do the thing he did to Crasters' son and thats where the other 12 came into existence?

WES2006AG
AG
quote:
Its been 11 hours and no one has posted pics of actress Sansa?

Shame...

The worst part is that I don't even know what to google to find them again...
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
Its been 11 hours and no one has posted pics of actress Sansa?

Shame...

The worst part is that I don't even know what to google to find them again...
WES2006AG
AG

DP
The Debt
Ok, I mislabeled mankind.

But you understand the point.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:
so now it's becoming the type of fast-paced entertainment better suited for peeple hoo dont reed to well.
Look at me, I can read books.
I know you're just trying to be funny, but both of my points are valid:

• The folks who haven't read the books want the show to move faster than those who have read them.
  • Fewer people make time to read these days. It's a shame, but reading takes too much time away from videogames, Facebook, Netflix, the recordings stacking up on their DVR, etc.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting question, where did the other 12 WWs come from? Did the CotF seed all 13? Does the Nights King merely have to do the thing he did to Crasters' son and thats where the other 12 came into existence?

I'm thinking the show is going with the latter. Crasters has many sons that were given to the WW King, 12 could be a fair estimate considering how many daughters he had with him.

If you ignore the huge gap in time, then you could assume the last time a WW was seen was thousands of years ago. Well the WW King maybe was hibernating and woke back up recently. Then cut some sort of deal with Crasters in order to build up his army.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Ok, I mislabeled mankind.

But you understand the point.
Yes, that I am a book nerd, and I must shame you on the Interwebs!
gomerschlep
AG
Just getting in on the new thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.