**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

359,737 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I agree the immediate urgency to kill Yara and Theon seemed ridiculous, but also thought their immediately sailing away was weird too... what's the plan? I don't think they have one.
No it wasn't ridiculous. Pretty standard usurper behaviour to kill off anyone else that might have a legitimate claim. And I'm sure Yara and Theon knew that.

The ridiculous part (for me) was not trusting that the audience could figure out that was intention and instead having him say it in such an obvious way.
Cromagnum
AG
That reminded me of the South Park episode where the shelter guy kept saying "it's time to murder one of these other animals".
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree the immediate urgency to kill Yara and Theon seemed ridiculous, but also thought their immediately sailing away was weird too... what's the plan? I don't think they have one.
No it wasn't ridiculous. Pretty standard usurper behaviour to kill off anyone else that might have a legitimate claim. And I'm sure Yara and Theon knew that.

The ridiculous part (for me) was not trusting that the audience could figure out that was intention and instead having him say it in such an obvious way.
If the King's Moot is a legitimate way to determine a new leader, he's not an usurper and there are no others with legitimate claims. But regardless, I'm sure thats exactly why. But the King's Moot was presented as if it was a crude election, where killing also-rans would hardly be considered 'standard'.
HtownAg92
AG
"Greenseeing" "Tower of Joy" and "Pink Letter" are obviously book reader terms that they've slipped past the goalie in this thread. Not so harmful or spoilery, but definitely toeing the line.
Squirrel Master
AG
It's interesting to me that Ned would have definitely known Willis's name pre-Hodor, and probably several others, but that's still the name he's called by. Just seems like the people who knew him as a boy would still call him by his given name.
The Debt
I'm fairly certain jojen reed used the term greenseer as the mechanism for him and his sister to find bran.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
So could you fill in why they call him Jorah the Andal? I've never really understood why he's considered an Andal and why that is something significant enough to include in his title. Are there not any other leftover Andals?
The Andals invaded Westeros from Essos. The remaining Andals on Essos have been conquered and basically died out as a people. Apparently, folks on Essos think that everyone on Westeros is of Andal descent, which is funny in this case, because Jorah is from the North and thus descended primarily from the First Men, rather than the Andals.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
"Greenseeing" "Tower of Joy" and "Pink Letter" are obviously book reader terms that they've slipped past the goalie in this thread. Not so harmful or spoilery, but definitely toeing the line.
Greenseeing was described by Meera's brother when they first met up with Bran.

Agree with you on the Tower's name.

What is pink letter?
HtownAg92
AG
Don't know if it was mentioned on this thread or in conversation with a book reader.

NON BOOK READER BUT WILL STILL PUT "SPOILER" ALERT ON SOMETHING THAT CAME FROM BOOKS:

It is Ramsey's letter to Jon Snow
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
So could you fill in why they call him Jorah the Andal? I've never really understood why he's considered an Andal and why that is something significant enough to include in his title. Are there not any other leftover Andals?
The Andals invaded Westeros from Essos. The remaining Andals on Essos have been conquered and basically died out as a people. Apparently, folks on Essos think that everyone on Westeros is of Andal descent, which is funny in this case, because Jorah is from the North and thus descended primarily from the First Men, rather than the Andals.
Even people in the north are still primarily Andal. It's fairly noteworthy to be descended from the first men, and thus is why being descended from the first men is emphasized by several of the larger houses (Stark, etc.)
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
It's interesting to me that Ned would have definitely known Willis's name pre-Hodor, and probably several others, but that's still the name he's called by. Just seems like the people who knew him as a boy would still call him by his given name.
I wonder if it was of little use to explain that one day he just fell to the ground completely debilitated. If I were a kid and I heard that, I'd be concerned that it would happen to me too. In other words, you're probably right, but it just never crossed Ned's mind. He was really young when it happened, and it's not like there was an explanation for what happened at the time either.
smokeythebear
AG
sorry, nvm
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Jojen and Bran discussed "greensight" several times on the show.
Swarely
quote:
Jorah has an incredibly infectious disease spread by touch. I think his nookie days are over.

Arm condom?
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
Even people in the north are still primarily Andal. It's fairly noteworthy to be descended from the first men, and thus is why being descended from the first men is emphasized by several of the larger houses (Stark, etc.)
It has been thousands of years since the Andal invasion, but the Andals did not conquer the North. The great Houses of the North intermarry with Southrons (e.g. Eddard Stark and Catelyn Tully), so it is actually MORE likely that a noble House in the North will have Andal bloodlines than that a commoner in the North would have them. Why? Commoners/peasants don't move around very much, and they marry someone from their own village.
FatZilla
AG
quote:
quote:
Jojen's greensight was only to the future, flashes of foresight. Looking into and affecting the past is completely different. Bran has not looked into the future at all, at least yet.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Jojen's greensight was only to the future, flashes of foresight. Looking into and affecting the past is completely different. Bran has not looked into the future at all, at least yet.
Yea, but the point is that he called it "greensight" so we're allowed to talk about the term.
mhayden
quote:

But they explained that we NEED them!
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
quote:

Also an awful lot of history of the Andals etc. that I don't remember in the show.
smokeythebear
AG
So that's a fair question, if it is discussed in the "After the Thrones" TV show, does that still count as the show version? Cause that opens up a lot more of these iffy topics.

Personally, I think the whole point is that we don't want nerds coming on here confusing us with contradictory plots and stories. As long as the content is consistent with the world and facts as presented in the show, I'm fine with a little more background color (aka the Andals).
Teddy Perkins
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also an awful lot of history of the Andals etc. that I don't remember in the show.
Brings up another issue. On the blu-rays there are these long animated explanations of the history of GoT. These go into a lot of the backstory and are also available on YouTube. I don't consider these spoilers since they are a feature on the show blu-rays and don't discuss characters as they were written in the books. But I tune out when the thread turns to bickering about book spoilers so I don't know if I should refrain from discussing the history highlighted in these videos.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If Khaleesi can handle a burning fire, she might be able to handle a stone fisting.
marble rye
AG
For petes sake. Knowing the name or what something is called in the text doesn't spoil anything.
Really???
This obsession over not knowing anything whatsoever about a show with 20 year old source material is really really weird. I get not wanting to know what's going to happen next And we're at a point where 95% of what's in the books has happened on screen (or we know won't appear) with only a few things coming which haven't aired yet.

Getting upset because there's a name for something that hasn't been explicitly said on the show?

Yeah, that's weird.
tk for tu juan
The HBO website for GoT has the history of the Andals, Children, First Men, etc. It is part of the show
marble rye
AG
Uh, this a thread about the SHOW, not the HBO GoT website.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
This obsession over not knowing anything whatsoever about a show with 20 year old source material is really really weird. I get not wanting to know what's going to happen next And we're at a point where 95% of what's in the books has happened on screen (or we know won't appear) with only a few things coming which haven't aired yet.

Getting upset because there's a name for something that hasn't been explicitly said on the show?

Yeah, that's weird.
Disregarding the fact that "book spoilers" may no longer exist -- I'm not sure that anybody is really concerned about book terminology, the real issue is that the only way to prevent spoilers from the books is to completely exclude all information from the books (no matter how immaterial). Otherwise I think it just turns into a slippery slope of book information -- a few book terms here and there turns into a few facts, and then some backstory, and then some ancillary information, and then eventually some material information. Based on experience from the "show only" threads from previous season, it seems like the only way to prevent book spoilers is to just completely prohibit all book information.
redbaron788
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bran discussed a dream where he saw "the ocean come over the walls of Winterfell and drown men" before Theon captured it back in season 2. So while he wasn't able to interpret it correctly, he did see the future.
The Debt
quote:
If Khaleesi can handle a burning fire, she might be able to handle a stone fisting.

Joan Wilder
AG
I have always enjoyed the perspective that Mallory and Jason provide on After the thrones and the old Watch the thrones podcast, as they helped with the "wait who was that guy again?" type questions while studiously avoiding any plot spoilers or snooty "well in the booooook this guy is a seriously bad ass and in the show blah blah" comparisons. They still provided a little more background that was helpful without being jerks.

There hasnt been that level of discipline to avoid spoilers and comparisons in this thread so people are justifiably touchy.

I must have missed the green-sight reference so thanks.
The Debt
[Bypassing word filters is an automatic ban. Due to your moderation history, you will no longer receive short bans. -Staff]
Muy
AG
I can hear the names of people and places 500 times on this show and the next week still barely know what they are talking about, where each place is located, or who runs that area. Just need the basic plot lines and I'm good.
Swarely
So, wait... Every time in the series that Hodor said "hodor", was he actually trying to say "hold the door"?

I just now made that connection. Every time he would nod, smile, and then say that... Wow... What a sacrificial lamb.
Vernada
AG
True. But he still murdered their father and then basically stole the throne when he showed up (even if it ended being done legitimately). Probably not a good idea for his longevity to just let them be.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
[Bypassing word filters is an automatic ban. Due to your moderation history, you will no longer receive short bans. -Staff]

Please be permanent! Or at least 60 days (end of this season) but permanent is best. This ass does this EVERY season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.