**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

357,480 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A mediocre GoT is still better than most television. Not a great episode at all though.

NOT SO GREAT
Much of it felt as forced as a joke from Grey Worm or as awkward as a wave from Jamie to Brienne. Even Danny hopping off her Uber dragon ride and popping in the top of the pyramid. The Hound negotiating to gut the captives seemed kinda off. Sorry, way too much wrong with the Arya scenes the last few weeks. The guy ordering his troops to lay down was so anticlimatic. Had they done that a few hours before they could have joined Sansa and Snow's army. Instead, it just kinda stalled the plot.

UNDERSTANDABLE PLOT ACTIONS
The Tommen scenes were obviously setting up some major Cersei actions.
Varys is sneaking off to make something happen.

GOOD STUFF
The Hound, The Mountain, Jamie / Brinenne negotiations. Blackfish was as expected.
bobinator
AG
quote:
Cersei is basically the new Mad King if that is her plan. Maybe when Jamie comes back he will end up having to kill her too after she declares she wants to... burn them all.

Or is that too much of a crazy theory for everyone.
I can't see Cersei trying to take out all of KL, but perhaps the Sept.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
So 2 episodes left. Battle for the North next week. Corious what will take place for the last one. Most likely something big in Kings landing from all the build up this season. Maybe something with Dany.
I expect about 30 minutes of it providing some update on the Sam and Gilly story.

The Hound continues to provide the best dialogue on the show. Not sure where the BWB is located right now (looked warm), but could they join in the fray on the Stark side against Ramsey next week? Baric was with Ned before getting cut down by the Mountain. The Hound has a place in his heart for Sansa. They hate Lannisters and anyone associated with them.

Of course, the more probable twist would be Ramsey thinking he's got the battle won and Littlefinger and his army sweep in a la Stannis and put an end to it.

Mereen is finally getting interesting. I think the finale will see a bunch of smoldering master ships in the harbor, after getting double-teamed by Yara and the dragons. Season ends with Dany and her army finally boarding boats and heading West?
mhayden
quote:
quote:
The Arya storyline with the faceless men has basically turned out to be a storyline that was a complete waste of time. As Sepinwall put it the show "needed some place to park her until the big battles got going"... Which is fine, but don't bore us with 15 minutes every episode of it. Pod's storyline is more interesting than Arya.

I think it will be one of those WTF plot lines until she goes all water dancing faceless man on Littlefinger and Ramsay.

IMO her story was one of the few that was "different" in that it was about finding herself and not "who am I going to kill/who is going to kill me" every episode.

I just think it could have been done with a LOT less screen time considering what stuff gets glossed over.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
Cersei is basically the new Mad King if that is her plan. Maybe when Jamie comes back he will end up having to kill her too after she declares she wants to... burn them all.

Or is that too much of a crazy theory for everyone.
I can't see Cersei trying to take out all of KL, but perhaps the Sept.

Dany's vision had her standing in what looked like a bombed out throne room. It was easy to assume that her dragons did that, but maybe it was Cersei?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Arya storyline with the faceless men has basically turned out to be a storyline that was a complete waste of time. As Sepinwall put it the show "needed some place to park her until the big battles got going"... Which is fine, but don't bore us with 15 minutes every episode of it. Pod's storyline is more interesting than Arya.

I think it will be one of those WTF plot lines until she goes all water dancing faceless man on Littlefinger and Ramsay.

IMO her story was one of the few that was "different" in that it was about finding herself and not "who am I going to kill/who is going to kill me" every episode.

I just think it could have been done with a LOT less screen time considering what stuff gets glossed over.
They dont seem to do anything major without reason, so I'm hoping that is the case with the Arya story line.
Joan Wilder
AG
The volume of screen time that Arya's story had taken up is probably due to the volume of story that GRRM wrote. According to my husband the book reader, hers is the one story that is in every book and he clearly loves writing it - the show writers have just had to adapt that rather than come up with whole new plot lines.

It's bogged down on the screen though. I've been ready for that "a girl is Arya Stark" speech for about a season.
Rudyjax
AG
There are different types of viewers. Those that are looking for everything to advance the entir plot. There are those who try to figure things out and put meaning behind everything.

Then there are those who sit back and enjoy the ride.
Anyone not in the latter annoys the crap out of me on here.
bobinator
AG

quote:
It's bogged down on the screen though. I've been ready for that "a girl is Arya Stark" speech for about a season.

I think the problem with this storyline is that it just doesn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things yet, so it's hard to wrap your head around why we're spending so much time with it.

In one corner of the world we have an entire army of ice zombies coming to kill everyone and a kid who has time-travelling mind control abilities is the best hope against them. In another corner a fireproof woman has three (lazy as hell?) dragons and is in control of a giant army and looks ready to take over the world. That's in addition to Jon and Sansa trying to take back Winterfell, the politics in King's landing, etc.

We've all been assuming that Arya would make her way back for a revenge tour eventually, and whether she did it as herself or as "no one" doesn't seem all that important to me as a viewer, so until she's on a boat back it's just felt like we're wasting time out there.

(geographical edit)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
There are different types of viewers. Those that are looking for everything to advance the entir plot. There are those who try to figure things out and put meaning behind everything.

what's ironic to me about that is it would seem to me that those sitting back and enjoying the ride would be the least likely to be a on message board where the point is to DISCUSS the show.

makes perfect sense that those interested in discussing the plot or figuring things out would be on here.
bobinator
AG
quote:

This post just broke my head.

Isn't the entire point of this thread to discuss the plot/theories/etc? If everyone on the thread was in the latter group, this thread would just be thumbs up emojis or something right?
Swarely
Zombie Jon Snow
Independent George
AG

quote:
Isn't the entire point of this thread to discuss the plot/theories/etc? If everyone on the thread was in the latter group, this thread would just be thumbs up emojis or something right?
Dont forget the thumbs down emoji crowd of people that apparently only watch this show for the 2 episodes a year that have a large budget.

Seriously though, I like everyone mixing it up in here. I love to put out stupid arse theories but I wont let it disappoint me if something crazy doesnt happen. Just fun to think out possibilities.
Independent George
easttexasaggie04
AG
Is some of the decline because GRRM is no longer telling the story?
Joan Wilder
AG
Arya's journey had potential to me. The scene at the end of one season where she hands the coin to the ship's captain and sets off to forge her own future was awesome. It was refreshing to have a female character take charge of her own destiny. Arya's character development or change through the story arc would have been great - but you never felt as if she was ever going to leave her name behind, so the endless "a girl has no name" scenes got tedious. It doesn't feel as if she's really changed much as a person through this journey. Maybe that was the point ?

To me, the scenes where she was learning to blend in and get Intel were more interesting training sequences then the endless scenes with the waif beating her up.

I love the return of Alpha Male Jamie.
mhayden
I have no doubts Arya's training will play a large role in how the show plays out.

The problem I have is that Arya's training has been beaten to death for multiple seasons. Arya arrived and began her training in Season 5, Episode 2.

We just completed Season 6, Episode 8... And yup, still doing the same stuff in the same place...
lne2011
AG
The Brotherhood Without Banners are currently in the Riverlands.
bobinator
AG
Yeah but now she's like, 40% better at it.
bobinator
AG
If we're getting philosophical here Arya is another example of a character that wants to change, but can't. She thought she'd love to become noone, but she doesn't really. Jamie was a good example of this last night also, he came full circle back to the guy who pushed Bran out the window.

Another example of this I think is about to be Sansa. She sort of turned her back on her family before, and I won't be surprised if she turns her back on Jon again in order to gain more power. She's already lied to him.
Quinn
AG
Someone has read The Ringer's recap: https://theringer.com/game-of-thrones-season-six-episode-eight-137193440164#.8958phfmh
Rudyjax
AG
I like discussing the shoe and ideas where it may go. But at the same time those stupid theories about fight club and whatever else blew my mind they were so ridiculous.

Rudyjax
AG
Possible, but he has given them the outline. How they get there is up to them I guess.
bobinator
AG
quote:
Someone has read The Ringer's recap: https://theringer.com/game-of-thrones-season-six-episode-eight-137193440164#.8958phfmh
Haha, I mean that was pretty obviously the point of that entire detour through riverrun for Jamie so I was thinking that before I read it, but yeah their stuff is good. The "ask the Maester" thing Jason Concepcion does is awesome, that was the thing I missed most from Grantland.
Independent George
AG

quote:
another example of a character that wants to change, but can't.
So here is what we got this episode then.

Arya went back to being Arya Stark, leaving the faceless men.
The Hound going back to dominating people after a brief peaceful moment.
Jamie Lannister returns to ruthlessness do anything for Cersei mentality.
Theon takes a sip of wine and kicks reek out for good and returns to Theon.

Basically, everyone reverts back to their old selves.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I have no doubts Arya's training will play a large role in how the show plays out.

The problem I have is that Arya's training has been beaten to death for multiple seasons. Arya arrived and began her training in Season 5, Episode 2.

We just completed Season 6, Episode 8... And yup, still doing the same stuff in the same place...

Not exactly. And she appeared in 13 of those 17 episodes. So in total 13 of the 60 episodes through season 6 will have been devoted to this plotline (in Braavos). A little over 20%.

bobinator
AG
Meh, we all have to pass the time somehow I suppose.

Had the fight club theory been true, would it have been any more ridiculous than someone coming on here and saying "I think Hodor is called Hodor because an old man in a tree has Bran in a vision and he can't wake up but he needs to block the door against an attacking wave of White Walkers which can suddenly enter the cave because the Night King touched Bran in another vision so he wargs into Hodor as a child and 'hold the door' turns into 'Hodor.'"

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

Had the fight club theory been true, would it have been any more ridiculous than someone coming on here and saying "I think Hodor is called Hodor because an old man in a tree has Bran in a vision and he can't wake up but he needs to block the door against an attacking wave of White Walkers which can suddenly enter the cave because the Night King touched Bran in another vision so he wargs into Hodor as a child and 'hold the door' turns into 'Hodor.'"

I called it exactly. Go back and look.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:

The fight club theory would've been completely unoriginal. I'm pretty sure the Hold The Door was not anything anyone ever thought of.

bobinator
AG
quote:
I called it exactly. Go back and look.
quote:
The fight club theory would've been completely unoriginal. I'm pretty sure the Hold The Door was not anything anyone ever thought of.
The internet is a beautiful place.

But also the "changing the past to find you really haven't changed the past" isn't exactly groundbreaking originality either.

Anyway, I love hearing people's crazy theories and breaking them down. Helps pass the time in between shows. That's all I'm really saying.

Quinn
AG
Definitely - Ask the Maester is a must read.
PooDoo
AG
Refresh my memory....

What was the rumor Cersei asked Frankenmaester to investigate?
Quinn
AG
quote:
Refresh my memory....

What was the rumor Cersei asked Frankenmaester to investigate?
We don't actually know, but most people, myself included, are assuming its the wild fire bomb stuff that was seen exploding in Bran's vision.
Joan Wilder
AG
I don't think we know.

Man, Tommen outlawing the trials by combat was a masterful move by the high sparrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.