**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

359,721 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Arya, as well as most of westeros, have never heard of the red god.

They don't sit in a classroom doing comparitive religious studies. Hell she only knows the faith of the seven because her mother is a southerner and felt like ladies needed to knit and look pretty and conform to the court of kingslanding.
Sentinel
AG
She's also a Stark who worship the old gods.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Many faced god has many names. Maybe he just thought "red god" sounded menacing.
smokeythebear
AG
Yea, I said "perhaps". Unless you know of some other specific reason why he would say the Red God instead of the Many Faced God, then I'd say my explanation remains most likely.
smokeythebear
AG
Curious, so which of the religions DOES the Red God belong to? Also, didn't they spend a lot of time showing Bran learning from the maester about all of the different houses and why each one has their different sigils? I don't think it is absurd to think that Arya probably had lessons as well and could have learned about other religions as part of her schooling before the war started.
double aught
AG
And the only one who cares very little about the religions of GoT?
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of you on here. We don't talk about the religions much, but often times they are big driving pieces of the story (Arya's assassin guild, Melissandra's Lord of Light, and the Faith holding Queen Margery captive).
Independent George
AG

quote:
The only friends she's made on her journey were Syril Forel (who was presumably killed by Meryn Trant), the Hound (who she left to die), Gendry (who was kidnapped by Melissandra), and Jacen (who killed people to pay her back for saving his life).
Does anyone else find it weird that a master assassin was captured somewhere in Kings Landing and headed for the wall in that group when Arya and Gendry joined them? We suppose to assume he was on a hit that failed and was captured.

I have to think he was there to find Arya and this is the "meet up" he planned. Similar to the 3ER with Bran, he was waiting for him specifically. And it is a little bit strange that as soon as Forel is presumed dead, Jacen enters the picture.
double aught
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of you on here. We don't talk about the religions much, but often times they are big driving pieces of the story (Arya's assassin guild, Melissandra's Lord of Light, and the Faith holding Queen Margery captive).
That's cool. I certainly don't mind it. Was just curious.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I have to think he was there to find Arya and this is the "meet up" he planned. Similar to the 3ER with Bran, he was waiting for him specifically. And it is a little bit strange that as soon as Forel is presumed dead, Jacen enters the picture.
He may have been there for a reason, but it wasn't to find a 10 year old girl that had to have so many things happen for their meeting to occur, most of which were out of his control.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
He may have been there for a reason, but it wasn't to find a 10 year old girl that had to have so many things happen for their meeting to occur, most of which were out of his control.

I think it was a plot device and they hadn't thought of everything at the time.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
There's no way of knowing, of course, but remember that Jaqen H'ghar knew Arya's name when they parted after escaping the Lanister stronghold. I wondered early on if he might have been Syrio as well, but that's unlikely since he was locked up with nasty criminals.

It's pretty clear that the faceless men are feared/respected by the people of Braavos. Jaqen said that any man from Braavos would respect the coin, and the boat captain said any man from Braavos would have done the same. We also saw that the street punks in Braavos who wanted to rob Arya scattered when they saw the faceless man from the House of Black and White appear.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
She is a good fit for the faceless men. Isn't she the only Stark that kept a long lit of people she wanted to kill? And she had done this before being introduced to them.
Goldie Wilson
Who died around the time Jaqen was in KL? Robert? Doesn't Littlefinger or somebody else on the small council mention hiring the Faceless Men to assassinate Dany?
The Debt
Some of the religions:

Old Gods - Polytheism. Northerners of Westeros. Trees.

Faith of the Seven - Polytheism. Southerners of Westeros. Priesthood. Organized Religion.

Lord of Light - Dualism. Essos. Red God vs Death

Drowned God - Monotheism. Pyke/Greyjoys. "What is dead may never die"

Many Faced God - Monotheism. Bravos. All religions worship him (Death).

Blood Magic - Unknown gods, rather spirits. Essos. "Only death brings life"
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
Who died around the time Jaqen was in KL? Robert? Doesn't Littlefinger or somebody else on the small council mention hiring the Faceless Men to assassinate Dany?
I think someone else mentioned that on this thread, except the price charged for someone of that stature would be absurd so they didn't do it.

John Aryn died which led Ned to come to kings landing. He's possibly the only one who could have been assassinated by Jaqen Hagar. We know that Lysa and Little Finger are responsible for John Aryn's death, but we're not sure HOW, so it is certainly possible they paid Jaqen to do it. Robert Barathian died too, but he was stabbed by a boar and we already found out that was due to Cerci telling Lancel to get him extra drunk.

Edit: nvm, looks like we know Lysa was the one that administered the poison.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We know they poisoned Jon Arryn.
jamaggie06
AG
A man who can change faces like Jaq'en doesn't end up in prison unless he wants to be there.

I mean, you saw how easy it was for him to "join up" with the Lannisters, then when he leaves Arya, he just turns around and looks entirely different.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lysa explicitly says that she dropped the poison into his cup.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
A man who can change faces like Jaq'en doesn't end up in prison unless he wants to be there.

I mean, you saw how easy it was for him to "join up" with the Lannisters, then when he leaves Arya, he just turns around and looks entirely different.
Join up? You mean act as a guard?

I agree, it would not be easy to catch a many faced assassin, but if he WAS caught and put in a prison cell, changing his face won't help him escape it. I think you're making too much of how and why he ran into Arya.

To me, the relationship between him and her really began because he was the first person to notice she was actually a girl and not the boy she was pretending to be. He then probed further and discovered she was not afraid of him (if I recall correctly). Then when the fight broke out, the prison cart caught on fire and he would have burned to death had she not come to save him. Again, I agree he is very skilled at fighting, confusing people, and getting behind closed doors, but changing his face isn't going to save him from being locked in a burning prison cell. Probably more likely is that there are multiple many-faced assassins that often die in the field, but she just happened to stumble upon one at the right time to get in his good graces.

Arya as a Stark is irrelevant to her story with the many-faced assassins. Arya, a brave girl who wants to learn to become an assassin (her interest originally piqued by Syril Forel and the sword Jon gave her, Needle), however, is very relevant to the many-faced assassins.
CapCityAg89
AG
Jon Snow gave her needle.
smokeythebear
AG
My bad, fixed it.
Independent George
AG
I just dont buy that a master assassin gets caught so easily.

Also, probably nothing but, Syril always called her boy during their lessons. She tried to become a boy for cover and who is the first person to recognize she is a girl, assassin. (also Gendry found out).
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I just dont buy that a master assassin gets caught so easily.

Also, probably nothing but, Syril always called her boy during their lessons. She tried to become a boy for cover and who is the first person to recognize she is a girl, assassin. (also Gendry found out).

Plot device. Get over it.
smokeythebear
AG
What?? He referred to her as a boy so that she wouldn't act like a whiny little girl when learning sword fighting. Syrio was a very well-known swordsman for years in Bravos and he was the HIRED sword teacher by Ned Stark to teach Arya. He absolutely was not a many-faced assassin. Besides, if he was, then why wouldn't he have been able to kill Meryn Trant?

Syrio was very proud of who he was and what he did. That's the total opposite of how Jaqen Hagar refers to himself as "nobody".
Sentinel
AG
You guys are thinking about it too much.
Independent George
AG
Good points all around from above posters. You convinced me that I am in fact way off. Its all just part of the fun to come up with theories.

I'm still on board that he pre planned their meetup though.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
You guys are thinking about it too much.
You're not thinking about it enough. Maybe the dagger was planted by one of the Faceless Men. If you squint your eyes just right, Jon's blood was actually in the shape of Bran warging into a dragon in the past. It wasn't Penny's boat, but maybe it belonged to time traveling Hodor before he became Hodor.
smokeythebear
AG
I've got plenty of crazy theories too, definitely part of the fun!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
There are plenty of theories floating around the internet that are crazier than anything discussed here.
The Debt
I doubt LF paid for a faceless man to kill Jon arryn. He is far too cheap to spend money on an assassination of the Hand of the King.
Rudyjax
AG
Isn't that scene where she meets him stolen from Willow?
The Debt
Pecks
Rudyjax
AG
Peck peck peck peck PECK!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Let's be honest, more things need to be stolen from Willow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.