**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

358,502 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
smokeythebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea, I think the writing is different no doubt, just not necessarily better or worse.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
It's a bit different, but I wouldn't say it has "gone off the rails".

Just curious, what do you think you're going to change by complaining on here?
I dont know about you, but I dont post on texags to change things, usually, but to participate in a discussion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Stack up the first 8 episodes of S5 against the first 8 of S6 and to me, S6 wins.

You do have Hardhome in episode 8 of S5, easily one of the best episodes in the series, but most of the first half of S5 was extremely slow with probably less character development than we've gotten in S6.

It took Tyrion 7 episodes to finally meet Dany, and not much happened in the way of development for him before then. He was fairly lost until Jorah kidnaps him.

Arya's storyline arriving at the FM was pretty good but the bulk of her story happened in the last few episodes. The first half of the season was basically her cleaning corpses and learning to "forget" who she was.

Sansa had that one cool moment in the Eyrie where she lied about LF killing her aunt, but outside of that she didn't really go through much until arriving at Winterfell.

Jon had a pretty good arc, becoming LC and leading the men at Hardhome.

Dany did ****-all until the harpies attack.

So going off of our main character's S6 plotlines, I'd say Sansa's and Dany's have been considerably better, Jon's and Arya's are fairly even, and Tyrion's is a bit slower this season. S6 gets the edge on those.

Other plotlines aside from those: I'll take the Iron Islands/Kingsmoot/Theon and Yara storyline any day of the week over anything that happened in Dorne. Everything with Bran has been great, and I'd give that the edge over the Stannis plotline.

So judging strictly from the first 8 episodes, season 6 has been far better than 5 overall, imho. I'd love to hear an argument for the opposite, maybe I am missing something.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
this will be the same guy cheering how great the season was after the ******* bowl and cersies trial, but the first 8 episodes sucks...
boy09
AG
quote:
this will be the same guy cheering how great the season was after the ******* bowl and cersies trial, but the first 8 episodes sucks...
The first 5 episodes were fantastic. 6, 7, and 8 were slow.
smokeythebear
AG
My apologies, didn't mean to come off as confrontational. Truth be told, I'm just easily irritated by negativity.

I do agree with you that the tone of voice has changed this season in comparison to past seasons.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes, I said "come ON is she the terminator?" during that chase scene.

I said "it's just like T2!" Liked the episode fine, though. Jaime Lannister is a great character, and had a great episode, especially the tent scene with Edmure Tully. The wave between him and Brienne at the end was a little cringe-worthy, though.

(a quick mockup - I would have Jamie swooping in and fix the bad coloring if I knew how)
black_hat_ag
quote:
quote:
It's a bit different, but I wouldn't say it has "gone off the rails".

Just curious, what do you think you're going to change by complaining on here?
I dont know about you, but I dont post on texags to change things, usually, but to participate in a discussion.
Well said sir. I think sometimes people forget that this is a discussion forum. Obviously there would be no way to change anything since we are not writers of the show. I'm a big GOT fan, def one of my favorite tv shows, but I try to never become to attached anything fiction. But having said that, the writing does seem much different this time around.

They spent so much time with Arya, and come to find out it was basically just a place to park her for a bit. I wish they would have given that screen time to other characters whose plots are progressing. Arya has basically been a major waste of time. And on top of that, we have to watch that secondary story with the play group performing. Just a total waste of time. Adds nothing to the story. The writers have let us down big time this season.

"off the rails" is a fair description of what has happened to GOT in this current season.
black_hat_ag
quote:
As a someone who is a big fan of the show and has seen every episode, I have to say this season has been a big disappoint.
I agree sir. Was starting to wonder if there were others out there!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
The first 5 episodes were fantastic. 6, 7, and 8 were slow.

And compared to other seasons thats WAYYYY above average. Assuming 9 and 10 rock then 7 of 10 episodes will have been great.

From previous seasons I consider these "great" - with top 10 in bold.

S1
4 - Cripples, *******s and Broken Things - lots of small things born here Bronn/Tyrion, Jon/Sam, Littlefinger really meddling, Dany decides her brother is worthless,
5 - The Wolf and the Lion - Ned resigns refusing to order the death of Dany's baby, Ned and Jaime showdown, and the Mountain / The Hound part 1 and a horse's head is cut off
9 - Baelor - Neds end
10 - Fire and Blood - dany's fire and dragons

So the first season had maybe 2 "great" episodes in the first 8.

S2
1 - The North Remembers - dead babies, visit to Crasters Keep,
6 - The Old Gods and The New - Theon takes Winterfell, riot in KL, The Hound saves Sansa, Ygritte is introduced and Dany loses her dragons
9 - Blackwater - the first big battle
10 - Valar Morghulis - Dany in house of the undying and massive army of the dead marches to the wall

Again only 2 great ones in the first 8.

S3
4 - And Now His Watch is Ended - battle at Crasters keep Mormont dies, Cersei/Olenna/Varys politics and Dany trades a dragon for the Unsullied and then torches the dude
5 - Kissed by Fire - Ygritte and Jon cave sex, Brienne/Jamie bath, Robb executes Karstark, The Hound vs. B. Dondarrion
6 - The Climb - Tywin and Olenna spar, LF and Varys talk about chaos, and Ygritte and Jon climb the wall
8 - Second Sons - Tyrion marries Sansa, Sam kills a WW, Stannis and Mel burn some leaches
9 - The Rains of Castamere - Red wedding need i say more
10 - Mhysa - Dany gets a fan club, Arya kills a Frey, Tyrion threatens Joffrey

The first season to have 4 in the first 8 that were great.

S4

2 - The Lion and The Rose - Joffrey wedding and demise
6 - The Laws of Gods and Men - Tyrions trial is just genius
7 - Mockingbird - Lysa goes flying, plus "I will be your champion" by Oberyn (goosebumps)
8 - The Mountain and the Viper - need I say more but yes - Dany banishes Jorah, Arya laughs about Lysa, Ramsay is legitimized
9 - The Watchers on the Wall - the other big battle, Wun Wun, Jon steps up, guarding the gate, etc.
10 - The Children - Stannis army arrives, Tyrion escapes and kills Tywin, Dany locks up her dragons, and Brienne vs. the Hound

ok 4 of the first 8 were great here - best season imho....depending how 6 ends

S5
8 - Hardhome - the 3rd big battle with zombies but thats not all Arya gets her first kill assignment, Sam and Gilly hookup,
9 - The Dance of Dragons - Dragon attack and Dany rides Drogon out of the pits, Shireen is burned, and Dany meets Tyrion
10 - Mother's Mercy - Myrcella dies with Jaime, Cersei's walk of shame, Myranda dies, Arya kills Meryn Trant, Stannis dies, Jon snow is murdered lots of death

only 1 in the first 8 makes the list and it's #8

From Season 6 we have these that rate as great- none break into the top 10 but very good episodes

1 - Red Woman - Sansa and Theon on the run, Brienne saves the day, Jamie returns and Cersei learns of Myrcellas death they vow revenge, Trystane killed and Doran and Areo Hotah as well, the Red priestess removes her necklace revealing she is an old crone.
2 - Home - Tormund and wildlings imprison Alliser and others, Tyrion releases dragons, Ramsay kills Roose, Walda and baby, first vision of past at Winterfell, Jon Snow resurrected
3 - Oathbreaker - Jon returns executing the traitors and "my watch has ended", the TOJ scene, Umber betrays Rickon and kills Sh****dog, Arya regains her sight
4 - Book of the Stranger - Sansa and Jon reunite at the wall, Ramsay kills Osha and writes a letter, Theon arrives at Pike, Littlefinger returns to the Vale, Dany sets fire to the Dothraki Khals
5 - The Door - Bran learns WW created by CotF, Yara and Theon steal ships, Dany learns of Jorah's Greyscale, Bran encounters the NK, and of course Hodor

That is the best start to ANY season with 5 of the first 8 being great, and the only better 5 consecutive episodes was Season 4 episodes 6-10. Episodes 6,7,8 of this season may have dragged and be filler/setup. But if 9 and 10 deliver this will be the one of the best seasons we have had.

Legal Custodian
AG
Great list! Fun to go back and realize how far we've come
Rudyjax
AG
This is the SNL effect.

My entire life SNL people have said it has never been as good as it used to be.

People long for the days of SNL when at the time they said it sucked.

Believe it or not, people complained about David Spade, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Will Ferrell...

Peoples memories aren't good and they only remember the good things.
Goldie Wilson
Good list! I forgot how stacked season 4 was
black_hat_ag
quote:
This is the SNL effect.

Believe it or not, people complained about David Spade, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Will Ferrell...

I'm a big Adam Sandler fan, and love his first movies. But most of the newer stuff is terrible. He got away from what made him funny.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
This is the SNL effect.

I'm a big Adam Sandler fan, and love his first movies. But most of the newer stuff is terrible. He got away from what made him funny.
I'm talking about him on SNL.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Hound will play a big part in something before it's all said and done. Otherwise there's no reason to bring him back.
Thats what I keep thinking. Based on the last episode he is going North right?
It's set up for him to join that brotherhood gang. They are allies with the Starks. Maybe Jon is going to build his army rag-tag style.

Just to get us back on track: the brotherhood isn't allied with the Starks. They are allied with no one (hence the "without banners" in their name). They were formed to simply fight for the people against all of the nobles who really weren't serving the people's interests. I do think the Hound will join them, at least for awhile, but I'm not sure what their role will be going forward. They can do some damage through guerrilla tactics, but they aren't an army or anything.
DB Coach
AG
quote:
They spent so much time with Arya, and come to find out it was basically just a place to park her for a bit. I wish they would have given that screen time to other characters whose plots are progressing. Arya has basically been a major waste of time. And on top of that, we have to watch that secondary story with the play group performing. Just a total waste of time. Adds nothing to the story. The writers have let us down big time this season.
I don't think the writers would give us so much insight to her life if it didn't matter to the overall story. If it wasn't necessary, they would have left her in Bravos and not gone back to that part of the story until it mattered, like they did with Bran.
Rudyjax
AG
Jesus Christ people. George Ficking RR Martin put her there right? Maybe the TV people are fixing this crap you hate.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

quote:
This is the SNL effect.
I've seen the SNL thing mentioned here before and it glosses over the reality that SNL had actual ups and downs, which were reflected in ratings, critical reception, and cast changes (even Lorne Michaels thought it sucked at times).

An internet discussion board strikes me as a remarkably odd destination for people who are turned off by differing or even negative opinions, but this board has gotten more fanboy-ish in general lately.

I think it's perfectly understandable for folks to have evolving expectations of GoT at this point in the game. In the early seasons we had no reason to have any expectations, but the main characters are fairly well defined at this point and the plot has been in motion long enough for some of our hairlines to have changed.

This Sunday will mark the 59th episode. For perspective:

Breaking Bad depicted the transformation, rise, and fall of Walter White in 62 episodes.
Six Feet Under told several stories in pretty complete fashion with 63 episodes.
Dexter, as everyone knows, ended at episode 48 with the conclusion of the Trinity storyline.

Game of Thrones this season just feels a little more like Mad Men to me, and Don's drinking and cheating again. It's still better than most, but I don't feel the crescendo building like I expected.

I'm still tuned in, but God help me if Jon Snow sails off and becomes a lumberjack.
Gig-Em2003
AG
It's crazy that we haven't seen any more follow up to TOJ. That figured to be a huge part of this season. Episode 10 perhaps?
smokeythebear
AG
Jesus f-ing Christ, SPOILER ALERT??? Have you no humanity?
smokeythebear
AG
Also, duh this is filled with fanboys. SNL had some ups and downs, but the point is that even a ****ty SNL was better than pretty much anything else on TV so wtf are you complaining about? How exactly do you expect GOT to out do itself every single season? Season 4 was the best season of any TV show in the history of TV! So what if 5 and 6 are a tad bit lower? That's like complaining that ROTJ is ****ty because it wasn't as good as ESB.
tk for tu juan
IMDB cast list for the episode can give you hints to what will be shown.
h1ag
AG
ROTJ is ****ty because Ewoks.

It's actually great, but the Ewoks are ****ty.
black_hat_ag
quote:
quote:
quote:
This is the SNL effect.

I'm talking about him on SNL.
Ya I know, and I am talking about his movies.
Rudyjax
AG
He's not even trying. And he's still making bank. He doesn't care.
black_hat_ag
quote:
quote:
I don't think the writers would give us so much insight to her life if it didn't matter to the overall story. If it wasn't necessary, they would have left her in Bravos and not gone back to that part of the story until it mattered, like they did with Bran.
Pretty sure there was a interview with the show producers and they specifically said they "parked" Arya. Maybe someone can verify that for me.
black_hat_ag
quote:
He's not even trying. And he's still making bank. He doesn't care.
ya I know he's not trying, thats why his new stuff sucks. and yes he does still make bank. good for him. i don't watch his new movies though. got burned too many times. guess some dumbasses still think his new stuff will be funny though.
black_hat_ag
quote:
Also, duh this is filled with fanboys. SNL had some ups and downs, but the point is that even a ****ty SNL was better than pretty much anything else on TV so wtf are you complaining about? How exactly do you expect GOT to out do itself every single season? Season 4 was the best season of any TV show in the history of TV! So what if 5 and 6 are a tad bit lower? That's like complaining that ROTJ is ****ty because it wasn't as good as ESB.
the thing is not everyone expects each season to out do the previous. but there is some expectation for a season not to suck like this current one does.
Btron
AG
S6 will forever be better than 5 for the moments mentioned below.

-No Sansa rape
-No pedophiles in Bravos
-No burning of Shireen
-too much Jorah
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
the thing is not everyone expects each season to out do the previous. but there is some expectation for a season not to suck like this current one does.
I think 2% of this thread dislike the season...if that's indicative of the entire population then I'm sure the producers/writers are sleeping just fine at night
boy09
AG
quote:

I'm still tuned in, but God help me if Jon Snow sails off and becomes a lumberjack.
black_hat_ag
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think 2% of this thread dislike the season...if that's indicative of the entire population then I'm sure the producers/writers are sleeping just fine at night
doubt that the texag board is even close to comparison of the entire population. no way that is true. the writers/producers are sleeping just fine if 30% don't like the show.

also you would have to separate the fanboys from this poll, not sure how you would do that. they will vote in favor of the show no matter what happens. and there are a lot of fanboys.

oh no
AG
quote:
It's crazy that we haven't seen any more follow up to TOJ. That figured to be a huge part of this season. Episode 10 perhaps?
as a non-book reader who doesn't try to seek out spoilers, I had forgotten about this... it seems like that warg by Bran was very, very significant, but that non-book readers may not have caught or understood the significance. ...and that warg was cut short. we do need to re-visit that, it seems.
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
as a non-book reader who doesn't try to seek out spoilers, I had forgotten about this... it seems like that warg by Bran was very, very significant, but that non-book readers may not have caught or understood the significance. ...and that warg was cut short. we do need to re-visit that, it seems.
That scene will be displayed as a "as seen previously on GOT", probably in Episode 10. It's the perfect cliff hanger for the season

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.