**** Game of Thrones Season 6 - Show Only ****

358,457 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rex Racer
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If Arya ends up leaving the faceless men, what a waste of a season her storyline has been.

Ive never understood this way of thinking. Whats the point of any event in a characters life? Being a part of the Faceless Men now a part of who she is. She learned that becoming No One isnt as importsnt as being Arya Stark who can make he own decisons and kill who she wants to kill.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
If Arya ends up leaving the faceless men, what a waste of a season her storyline has been.

Ive never understood this way of thinking. Whats the point of any event in a characters life? Being a part of the Faceless Men now a part of who she is. She learned that becoming No One isnt as importsnt as being Arya Stark who can make he own decisons and kill who she wants to kill.

Not to mention she picked up some sweet Bostaff skills.
Sex Panther
AG
Arya went full Bruce Wayne

Rich kid gets all angsty when her parents are killed

Goes to another continent to learn how to be a ninja

Falls in with assassins, becomes a badass, then when they tell her to kill someone to finish her training, she balks and will probably burn their house down

Now she'll head back to Westeros and fight Superman
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You mean Ras Al Ghul.

Come to think of it, the Faith Militant is a bit reminiscent of the League of Shadows.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

Falls in with assassins, becomes a badass, then when they tell her to kill someone to finish her training, she balks and will probably burn their house down

Icecream_Ag
S
quote:

does that mean she fights Jon Snow or Night King though????
mhayden
quote:
quote:
I disagree. It was certainly monotonous, I'll agree with you there, but I don't think it was a waste. I think it's safe to presume she's picked up a thing or two about fighting/assasination in her time with the faceless men. I think the show should have done a better job of displaying Arya's skills that she has acquired. (We only got a glimpse of it with her montage video fight with Waif)
Her picking up tricks of the trade from the faceless men is something that could have been handled in one or two 10-minute "visits" to her storyline.

We've been forced to sit through it almost every week and it's looking like nothing will actually come out of it.
CCAg95
AG
quote:
We've been forced to sit through it almost every week and it's looking like nothing will actually come out of it.

They are trying to give the show watcher the same experience as reading a GRRM book
mhayden
I guess I should been clear that I don't think it's actual "waste of a storyline" but more-so that the shows pacing and "story selection" can be very bad.

Arya gets episode after episode of basically the same stuff... Ditto Mereen and it's civil war.

But the new King of the Iron Borne was introduced and took over the kingdom in 5 minutes of screen time.

Seems like there is so much book content, yet we still get a lot of "filler" instead of going over some pretty significant storylines.
Quinn
AG
Not saying Arya has the best storyline, but I would much rather spend time with her than with anyone at the Iron Isles.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I guess I should been clear that I don't think it's actual "waste of a storyline" but more-so that the shows pacing and "story selection" can be very bad.

Arya gets episode after episode of basically the same stuff... Ditto Mereen and it's civil war.

But the new King of the Iron Borne was introduced and took over the kingdom in 5 minutes of screen time.

Seems like there is so much book content, yet we still get a lot of "filler" instead of going over some pretty significant storylines.
That's a fair criticism. I think the simplest answer is: Game of Thrones knows who their stars are.

The show producers/directors can easily fast forward the Iron Isles/Dorne plots because no one truly cares about anyone in them. We can go entire episodes or even seasons without seeing Yara but I don't think you could do the same for Arya (or to a greater extent, Dany).

I figure they know the audience may not particularly like the current storylines of those particular characters, but their importance to the overall resolution is obviously to import to ignore. The audience would more easily forgive a stalling plot with regular updates of their favorite characters, than have them be ignored for any great length of time. (I think)
Independent George
AG

quote:
Her picking up tricks of the trade from the faceless men is something that could have been handled in one or two 10-minute "visits" to her storyline.

It was most definitely a mundane part of Arya's development but pretty crucial if you think about it. This was much more than picking up a few fighting tips from assassins.

Traveling with the hound- She is just a kid getting exposed and finding out what the real world is like in Westeros.
Time with Faceless men- She is still a kid trying to figure out what kind of person she is going to be, she has chosen Arya.

Her story went from a lost and useless little girl to a somewhat trained assassin with a Stark family revenge agenda.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Not saying Arya has the best storyline, but I would much rather spend time with her than with anyone at the Iron Isles.
^Precisely my point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
While we're on the subject of wasted storylines, what role do we think Dorne/SS have left to play in the series?

If that was the end of that arc, then I'd say THAT was a lot of time wasted (except for that excellent set of knockers).

But I'm assuming Cersei's vengeance on them, and Ellaria's thirst for revenge on the Lannisters, will be relevant again at some point.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
While we're on the subject of wasted storylines, what role do we think Dorne/SS have left to play in the series?

If that was the end of that arc, then I'd say THAT was a lot of time wasted (except for that excellent set of knockers).

But I'm assuming Cersei's vengeance on them, and Ellaria's thirst for revenge on the Lannisters, will be relevant again at some point.
I feel like the show decided to hit the "Eject" button from Dorne. I'd be shocked if it played any part, let alone one of significance, in the story going forward.
Independent George
AG
Only acceptable time to bring their characters back is for a brief showing of the awesome rack as like a day dream of Bronn.

Speaking of Bronn, he better get on the right side of the thing when stuff hits the fan. Obviously Tyrion is a friend. Or did they pretty much end his arc?
TheVarian
AG
quote:

Her story went from a lost and useless little girl to a somewhat trained assassin with a Stark family revenge agenda.

I bet she will kill someone she hates but in doing so will be the cause or witness someone she loves die
Joan Wilder
AG
It looks like Bronn is with Jamie in the preview.

From what I hear from the book reader in my house, Arya is the one character who is in EVERY book, so clearly her story is the one GRRM really loves telling and that is why the show creators have so much to work with. It just isn't translating to particularly compelling TV in my mind (I've never read the books). I was more interested in her playing different roles, learning how to blend in, like when she was the Oyster Girl or the backstage costume assistant. Those are also skills she's learning but they've decided that having her get beat up by the Waif is more visually appealing for TV. That's gotten pretty repetitive.

( I don't think that was any kind of book spoiler, it's just my guess on why there's so much time spent on Arya at the House of B&W)

I find the Waif at the House of Black and White to be one of the worst actors on the show and one of the most one-note characters; I hope Arya takes her out with Needle.

Lots of characters are about to converge at River Run.
Objective Aggie
AG
Arya and the Hound was good television. That was the best part of her storyline. The Odd Couple andt heir fight for survival.

The Faceless Men may have drug on too far, but there are worse things on other shows.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, it may have dragged out a little long, but for the most part, it's been fairly brief snippets in each episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
chicken
smokeythebear
AG
quote:

quote:

It was most definitely a mundane part of Arya's development but pretty crucial if you think about it. This was much more than picking up a few fighting tips from assassins.

Traveling with the hound- She is just a kid getting exposed and finding out what the real world is like in Westeros.
Time with Faceless men- She is still a kid trying to figure out what kind of person she is going to be, she has chosen Arya.

Yep. We used to complain about Bran's storyline and how pointless and unfulfilling it was to have him and his crew journeying up north of the wall. But now, that's paying dividends with all of the new stuff we're seeing and the action that is happening.

Each of the Stark kids is having their own personal journey to learn how to grow up. Robb was already mostly grown so his story peaked early.

I feel like Jon's growth has really "peaked" now that he was raised from the dead. He's obviously still going to be important, but that was his "growing up" moment.

Sansa took years of abuse and crying before she finally had the agency to act for her own self interests. She'll be proficient in reading people for their true intentions and political dealings and will be a dangerous adversary to have going forward.

Bran is now pretty much all powerful, though still inexperienced. He's gone through his transition and is now learning how best to use his new powers to leave his impression on the world.

Arya is ALMOST finished with her transition, but she'll have to deal with the repercussions of the choice she made (i.e. fight the House of Black and White or run from them). I imagine, the whole point of it is so that you have a deep understanding of how she came to have her powers and where her priorities lie (also to show off the cool city of Bravos).

I don't see any "growing" from Rickon though.
jtmoney03
AG
quote:
Only acceptable time to bring their characters back is for a brief showing of the awesome rack as like a day dream of Bronn.

Speaking of Bronn, he better get on the right side of the thing when stuff hits the fan. Obviously Tyrion is a friend. Or did they pretty much end his arc?
Jamie definitely made reference to Bronn this week, about giving him a pile of money. I don't remember exactly what he said, but was happy to hear his name as I think his character is great.
Squirrel Master
AG
I'm not bothered by Arya's storyline one bit. And we've clearly got some action coming with that.

I'm glad Jamie is getting out of King's Landing. I feel like we've learned throughout the run of this show that through his trials and tribulations, he's become more of an outsider and doesn't belong in King's Landing. Bronn getting back in the mix will be a big plus too.

Benjen's reemergence was pretty sweet. Nice to have one looming mystery solved. Also, Bran actually has a way to get south now.
Squirrel Master
AG
I've also enjoyed first the recap of seasons 1-4 as told through the Braavos stage production.
TX_AG_10
AG
He was going to give Bronn money to hire up some hit men so they could take out the high sparrow and the rest of the faith militant.
Trident 88
AG
Arya has definitely improved her fighting skills, but the last time they fought, the blonde waif kicked Arya's ass without much effort. I would have much preferred that Arya posed an obvious threat to take down the waif before next Sunday's showdown.

I want the waif to detest her because she's scared that Arya has now become a rival who will surpass her, not because she thinks she isn't worthy of joining the Faceless Men. So, instead of winning their next fight because she's a bad ass, Arya will win because (surprise!) she has Needle. Meh...
Objective Aggie
AG
If I had one complaint of the Faceless Men plotline,it would be that it is highly inconsistent.

J'quan in invincible. Except when he is captured and needs Arya's help to escape.

The Faceless Men are about justice. Except for when they get paid.

The Faceless Men are omniscient. Exceot for when they don't know that Arya had needle.

I never completely understood all the subtleties of the Faceless Men foundation, of all teh goings on in the House of Black and White. But I just went with it.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
If I had one complaint of the Faceless Men plotline,it would be that it is highly inconsistent.

J'quan in invincible. Except when he is captured and needs Arya's help to escape.

The Faceless Men are about justice. Except for when they get paid.

The Faceless Men are omniscient. Exceot for when they don't know that Arya had needle.

I never completely understood all the subtleties of the Faceless Men foundation, of all teh goings on in the House of Black and White. But I just went with it.

it is almost like the writers are many-faced and act like gods
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Arya will fight the Waif in the dark, right? I just wonder if the viewers will see the fight as Arya "sees" it. or if it'll just be really dimly lit.
LHIOB
AG
She can see now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She trained for what seemed like a significant amount of time while blind, though. We see Arya go in a dungeon and blow out the candles. I took it that she is waiting for the waif and plans to use the darkness to her advantage.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
She trained for what seemed like a significant amount of time while blind, though. We see Arya go in a dungeon and blow out the candles. I took it that she is waiting for the waif and plans to use the darkness to her advantage.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SP's Batman theory has come full circle.
Independent George
AG

quote:
Seems like the most plausible outcome of how it goes down.

Judging from their last meet thought, like the above poster said, she is clearly not as strong as the waif.

I predict Arya gets beat and for one reason or another, J'quan interferes and kills the waif. Not sure why he would do that other than Arya may have a higher calling?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.