***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,925 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mavsfan4ever said:

I don't want Iguadola in this locker room even if we didn't have to give up anything. Talk about killing team chemistry.

He is old and washed anyways. At this point I'm thinking the Mavs should just keep that 31st GS pick and take another shot at landing a rotation player.

To me this doesn't feel like the year to make a move. The Mavs are not contenders quite yet, so marginal upgrades that require sacrificing future assets just don't make sense. Any move they make needs to be of the Cauley-Stein variety. Buy low on a former lottery pick for a low price and see what happens.
PatAg
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I told you guys earlier in the thread. Players who go to the west coast and win championships get massive egos. They literally think they're too good to play for a non LA / west coast/ Miami type team.

The Mavericks should still think about trading for him if all they have to give up is Courtney lee's expiring deal and golden states 2nd rounder which is actually a de facto 1st round pick at this point. At least maybe they could keep him away from Lebron or Kawhi. We might be forced to play an LA team in the first round of the playoffs. I really hope not tho.

What the hell? Either LA team beats Dallas in six with or without Iggy. Why give away assets if he's not going to play for you?
Disagree
TheMasterplan
TheMasterplan said:

Obvious observations at the moment might be that Luka is holding back other teammates success. I always thought there might be a little bit of that due to some shot jacking from Luka from time to time.

Any thoughts? Obviously I love Luka but you can't help but wonder with performances like this against the bucks, Celtics, heat and 76ers.
This is not a bump as a zinger against anybody.

Can we discuss Porzingis' effort while Luka is out? Is it simply because he's getting more shots as the offensive focal point?

Is Carlisle utilizing him 100% when Luka is healthy? I'm aware that Porzingis isn't shooting the greatest even when Luka gives him looks and the mavs have a high winning percentage with Luka. I'm simply trying to get discussion going on if we can be better.

t - cam
AG
TheMasterplan said:

TheMasterplan said:

Obvious observations at the moment might be that Luka is holding back other teammates success. I always thought there might be a little bit of that due to some shot jacking from Luka from time to time.

Any thoughts? Obviously I love Luka but you can't help but wonder with performances like this against the bucks, Celtics, heat and 76ers.
This is not a bump as a zinger against anybody.

Can we discuss Porzingis' effort while Luka is out? Is it simply because he's getting more shots as the offensive focal point?

Is Carlisle utilizing him 100% when Luka is healthy? I'm aware that Porzingis isn't shooting the greatest even when Luka gives him looks and the mavs have a high winning percentage with Luka. I'm simply trying to get discussion going on if we can be better.

He operates better in a free flowing system. Luka is ball dominant. I'd like to see more free flowing ball movement when Luka gets back.

M.C. Swag
AG
Rockets gave up Nene, Green, Capela and a 1st round pick for Covington?! lol He's good but he's not that good. Without the Nene/Green expirings and the FRP, this move essentially kills any other trades (until EG's trade restriction lifts in the summer).

PJ Tucker is now their starting 5! I guess, congrats to Houston for finally assembling the small ball, Warriors killer, team they've always wanted.....a year after the Warriors have been dismantled.

I don't see how Houston can get through the Jazz, Nuggets, or Lakers with this team. And honestly, I kinda hope we play them in Round 1.
Post removed:
by user
M.C. Swag
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

Yeah, weird move to make your team the smallest in basketball, in a year when you may have to get through:
Anthony Davis
Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert
Kristaps Porzingas
and to lesser extents
Steven Adams
Montrez Harrell.

Furthermore, they now have nothing to at all to deter Leonard, George, James, Doncic, Mitchell from plowing to the basket. Covington is a nice asset, but he has injury history, has become overrated as a lockdown defender, and shoots an ok 36% from three. I don't see this move making Houston better.
Exactly. RoCo is a great help defender but not a 1-on-1 defender.

Unless Houston can scrounge up a quality big in the buyout market (or finesse one somehow from that TPE they created), I don't see how this move was anything other than their owner being cheap.
J.P. 03
AG
From the ESPN article about the trade:
Quote:

Atlanta is waiving Chandler Parsons and his expiring $25.1 million contract to create roster space to complete the four-team trade.

Time for Cuban to bring his favorite player back?
t - cam
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

Atlanta is waiving Chandler Parsons and his expiring $25.1 million contract to create roster space to complete the four-team trade.

I assume your kidding but are you up to speed on parsons?

It's actually pretty sad.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nba-player-chandler-parsons-faces-potentially-career-ending/story?id=68406948

True Anomaly
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

It really is amazing how different this team is compared to the summer we let Parsons walk and sign with the Grizzlies. Just a mere 4 years ago, but it feels so much longer
J.P. 03
AG
t - cam said:

I assume your kidding but are you up to speed on parsons?

It's actually pretty sad.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nba-player-chandler-parsons-faces-potentially-career-ending/story?id=68406948

Yeah....sorry. Was actually trying to poke more fun at Cuban's previous man-crush on him but can totally see how what I wrote could be read the other way. Didn't intend to be insensitive to his injuries at all, so thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and opportunity to clarify.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavs look close to be adding Glen Robinson III
J.P. 03
AG
I wouldn't hate that. Also, unless he's magically found the fountain of youth, Miami is helping the Mavs dodge a bullet:

Grapesoda2525
J.P. 03 said:

I wouldn't hate that. Also, unless he's magically found the fountain of youth, Miami is helping the Mavs dodge a bullet:

I love this.

I just really didn't want iguodala to force his way or end up on the lakers. The dude has enough championships, I wanted no part of watching him help Lebron " bring LA back".

I guess I'm a Lakers hater, but I don't like how they seem to get all the breaks / free agents without even trying.

gigem1223
I think the Unicorn is officially back
cpawka
This team plays embarrassingly bad at home. It's disgusting
PatAg
AG
cpawka said:

This team plays embarrassingly bad at home. It's disgusting
you arent wanted
Post removed:
by user
Grapesoda2525
MyNameIsKyle said:

They do struggle mightily at home. Why? Who knows.

They also struggle when Brunson, Berra, and Curry aren't available to stabilize the second unit. Last night was a good example of why I said Wright should serve as their sell high trade chip. Last night he was forced into a primary ball handler role with the second unit and absolutely stunk up the joint, ie -35 plus/minus in a 14 point loss - wow!

Certainly disappointed with another home loss, and the abysmal defense, but Memphis is no slouch and Dallas is walking pretty wounded, right now.
At least they have 2 free wins coming up this weekend and they're on the road too!
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I've been really disappointed with Wright. I was expecting him to be more of a creator than he is. He really struggles in that role and is not a great shooter so he's also not ideal off the ball.
J.P. 03
AG
Trade deadline has come and gone. By all accounts, the Mavs stood pat. Anybody seeing anything different?
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Rundown of all the trades.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/12/201920-in-season-nba-trades.html
Carlo4
AG
Drummond was traded for a couple of used napkins due to his expiring contract. We could have done that and had a guy with some motivation against the best in the West.
hph6203
AG
The TPE and Lee were likely going to be a net negative long term if you made a move. There's no talent return there, certainly no long term talent return.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

The TPE and Lee were likely going to be a net negative long term if you made a move. There's no talent return there, certainly no long term talent return.
Memphis used their TPE to absorb Iggy + 1st Rd Pick. They then flipped Iggy for Justice Winslow.

The pacers used their cap space to absorb TJ Warren + 32nd pick.

The Mavs could have done either of these moves and didn't is the point.
EastSideAg2002
PDEMDHC said:

Drummond was traded for a couple of used napkins due to his expiring contract. We could have done that and had a guy with some motivation against the best in the West.

Hes not a good fit for the offense and matching salaries would have cost useful pieces.
hph6203
AG
Was talking at the deadline, not last free agency. Regardless, what Memphis did using theirs for Iggy + 1st is a rarity in that the Warriors were desperate to get something for a departing Kevin Durant. They had to dump salary to take on Russell, otherwise they would have paid massive tax penalties. They ultimately traded spots in the draft and got Wiggins for KD. That kind of deal doesn't occur at the deadline often. Lots of teams are upset they didn't make that trade.

With TJ Warren, that kind of deal doesn't get done at the deadline either.

You can be upset about something that happened 7 months ago, but any beneficial deal with the TPE or Lee would've had to be done last off-season, because they're cost cutting or cap reducing measures for the receiving team and this free agency period isn't going to be very good and teams had already made their moves to reduce cap penalties. Any moves that stretched salary beyond 2021 would have impacted the Mavs' ability to make moves that genuinely make this team substantially better.

In short, there is no urgency in the league right now to dump salary, it's exactly why Drummond went for peanuts.

Can you really be upset with what the Mavs FO has done over the last 2 1/2 years? They have to go 10-21 to have a .500 record and be what people thought they were going to be going into the season. That's with KP missing 12 games and Luka missing 8.

I wouldn't expect them to do much this free agency period other than drafting their guy and using their exception. In fact I would be surprised to see any big moves between now and the 2021 free agency period.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

Was talking at the deadline, not last free agency. Regardless, what Memphis did using theirs for Iggy + 1st is a rarity in that the Warriors were desperate to get something for a departing Kevin Durant. They had to dump salary to take on Russell, otherwise they would have paid massive tax penalties. They ultimately traded spots in the draft and got Wiggins for KD. That kind of deal doesn't occur at the deadline often. Lots of teams are upset they didn't make that trade.

You can be upset about something that happened 7 months ago, but any beneficial deal with the TPE or Lee would've had to be done last off-season, because they're cost cutting or cap reducing measures for the receiving team and this free agency period isn't going to be very good and teams had already made their moves to reduce cap penalties. Any moves that stretched salary beyond 2021 would have impacted the Mavs' ability to make moves that genuinely make this team substantially better.

In short, there is no urgency in the league right now to dump salary, it's exactly why Drummond went for peanuts.

Can you really be upset with what the Mavs FO has done over the last 2 1/2 years? They have to go 10-21 to have a .500 record and be what people thought they were going to be going into the season. That's with KP missing 12 games and Luka missing 8.

I wouldn't expect them to do much this free agency period other than drafting their guy and using their exception. In fact I would be surprised to see any big moves between now and the 2021 free agency period.
Rumor has it that last summer before Free agency Donnie Nelson said " the market will be slow. Guys will take awhile to decide".

Cuban and Donnie went to a celebratory dinner on the first night of free agency and during that time about 70-80% of the free agents went off the board. Cuban agreed to call Patrick Beverly at a certain time and Cuban didn't even pick up the phone.

You can make the case that he would've stayed in LA anyway, but I didn't see a lot of effort last summer to improve the team when they actually had cap space and it looks like they got caught twiddling their thumbs again here while seemingly everyone else in the league was wheeling and dealing.

Getting luka and KP is nice, but you do actually have to try and build around it sometime.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Apparently we were going to get Danny green if Marcus Morris went to LA. I hadn't heard that but there is an article about it on the SportsDay App.
jeffdjohnson
MyNameIsKyle said:

Yeah, weird move to make your team the smallest in basketball, in a year when you may have to get through:
Anthony Davis
Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert
Kristaps Porzingas
and to lesser extents
Steven Adams
Montrez Harrell.

Furthermore, they now have nothing to at all to deter Leonard, George, James, Doncic, Mitchell from plowing to the basket. Covington is a nice asset, but he has injury history, has become overrated as a lockdown defender, and shoots an ok 36% from three. I don't see this move making Houston better.

I don't hate the move, it is pretty interesting. I would be more worried about not having a weak side shot blocker down low than getting killed by other opposing big men. A guy like Luka is actually much more of a problem for them than an opposing big man. You give Luka driving lanes with no help side defense and you are asking to be picked apart. Aside from Davis and Jokic I don't think Houston really has much to worry about from opposing bigs. Team rebounding would be my other big concern but they can play most other big men off the floor. Or in the case of shot blockers like Gobert / Porzingis push them to the corner defensively.
jeffdjohnson
Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

Rumor has it that last summer before Free agency Donnie Nelson said " the market will be slow. Guys will take awhile to decide".

Cuban and Donnie went to a celebratory dinner on the first night of free agency and during that time about 70-80% of the free agents went off the board. Cuban agreed to call Patrick Beverly at a certain time and Cuban didn't even pick up the phone.

You can make the case that he would've stayed in LA anyway, but I didn't see a lot of effort last summer to improve the team when they actually had cap space and it looks like they got caught twiddling their thumbs again here while seemingly everyone else in the league was wheeling and dealing.

Getting luka and KP is nice, but you do actually have to try and build around it sometime.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. In fact the deals they have made (Kleber / DFS / Curry / Wright) were all team friendly and overall smart. Continuing to make those kind of deals is exactly how they should build around Luka / KP. It is clear they have a blueprint in mind.

I think next year is the big one for making a move either in trade or via free agency. They will be drafting around #20 and #30 in this years draft. Hopefully at least one guy becomes a legitimate prospect. In 2021 they could then dangle some combination of those two players, Brunson, 2022, 2024 pick swaps and future firsts 2025, 2027. I don't know what combination of that gets them into the Bradley Beal conversation but it is worth trying. If that doesn't work out then you also have quite a bit of cap space to sign a big free agent or make a few more smart signings.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

Was talking at the deadline, not last free agency.
Well that tweet was about the Summer of '19.
Quote:

You can be upset about something that happened 7 months ago,
One impacts the other. What the Mavs did in the summer affected their moves (or lack thereof) at the deadline.
Quote:

Have they done good things? Yes. Have they whiffed in other areas? Absolutely.

I can be pleased with the progress of the team as it currently stands while also acknowledging the short-comings of the FO that may have bolstered an already good squad.
Quote:

The rest of that TPE has expired (along with any usefulness that Lee's $12m contract could have provided). The whole point of trading HB was to create some cap space/flexibiility to build a team around Luka/KP. The Mavs used it to add Delon Wright and Seth Curry (good, but not great players and by all accounts were fallbacks from a failed attempts at other FAs).

Every other move (extending Powell, re-signing Maxi & DFS) could have been done regardless of their cap space (as they had bird rights on all 3).

Basically, last summer's failure (which was objectively a failure) compounds to this trade deadline. There's no reason the Mavs should have let Lee and that TPE go unused. That's all im saying.
True Anomaly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I realllllly want to believe that's not true, but can't convince myself. Especially because of how perfect Beverly would've been perfect on this team
hph6203
AG
Y'all need to realize that 90% of the rumors surrounding the league are complete bull***** Especially in this market, because the main local guys are good at exaggerating opportunities and speculating, but terrible at being on the inside of what's really going on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.