***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

186,700 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Adams and a first for nothing would be sweet, though, right
Seven Costanza
AG
Would they have to throw in the pick? He's overpaid, but it's not that extreme (only 2 years left). Adams for nothing may be enough.

Either way, OKC is going to shed salary. They are not going to pay the tax again this year for a mediocre team.
hph6203
AG
Guitarsoup said:

hph6203 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

Could be worse, could be the Raptors. Best player is now Kyle Lowry? Pascal Siakam? Ouch.
I don't mind being the raptors right now actually. At least they just won a championship.

Could be the Thunder.
Thunder are in a decent spot. Got a perfect stretch 4 to go next to Adams, got a young promising talent (still not old enough to buy a beer) in Shai and picked up five first round picks and two pick swaps. Their biggest problem right now is that they need to cut salary in a big bad way, So Dallas may be on the receiving end of those picks to absorb salary. OKC is 11mm and change over the luxury tax line right now and has a 31mm tax bill in addition to the 143mm in salary.

They're about to completely blow that team up. Westbrook is going out (he has to, he will be 33 by the time those picks start gaining full value), the first pick doesn't convey until 2021. It's going to be years until they're good again and that's only if they utilize those draft picks well. The problem with draft picks is that there are so many variables that dictate their value. How high the pick is and how well you draft with them or how willing other teams are to accept those picks for their talent.
Guitarsoup
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Would they have to throw in the pick? He's overpaid, but it's not that extreme (only 2 years left). Adams for nothing may be enough.

Either way, OKC is going to shed salary. They are not going to pay the tax again this year for a mediocre team.

Thinking okc gives the mavs a first rounder for taking Adams. Mavs give $3mm cash considerations.

This saves OKC almost $100mm over two years.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm interested to see if this franchise can last in OKC through leaner years. They've been lucky enough to have big names in Westbrook, Durant, Harden, and George so far.
True Anomaly
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Adams and a first for nothing would be sweet, though, right

This all day, everyday
M.C. Swag
AG
Adding Adams means we'd prolly have to dump Kleber or Powell. Too much money committed to the same position.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Morris to Spurs.
Grapesoda2525
mavsfan4ever said:

Morris to Spurs.
Another whiff for Cuban and Donnie.
rsf0626
Now i officially have zero clue what the FO is trying to accomplish
Grapesoda2525
KEEPING THEIR POWDER DRY.

Maybe they think they can pick up a salary dump at the trade deadline. It almost seems like they don't have a plan at all and just wing it.
hph6203
AG
They can't do a salary dump at the deadline, they'll be over the cap.
PatAg
AG
You guys need to settle down a bit.
2wealfth Man
AG
Front office needs a total revamp MARK!!!!!
hph6203
AG
The same front office that wanted to draft Giannis, but we're overruled by ownership, correctly identified Luka as the best player in the draft and acquired Porzingis, who at the time of his trade was fully prepared to accept the qualifying offer from the Knicks so he could become an unrestricted free agent next year, but changed his mind by the time the contract was laid in front of him?

Seems pretty rash to do just because free agents are signing with teams that are substantially better than the one that was put on the floor for the Mavs last year.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

The same front office that wanted to draft Giannis, but we're overruled by ownership, correctly identified Luka as the best player in the draft and acquired Porzingis, who at the time of his trade was fully prepared to accept the qualifying offer from the Knicks so he could become an unrestricted free agent next year, but changed his mind by the time the contract was laid in front of him?

Seems pretty rash to do just because free agents are signing with teams that are substantially better than the one that was put on the floor for the Mavs last year.
You must have a relative in the front office.

The mavs have struck out on every free agency period over the last 10 years and their drafting history is beyond terrible. I'd say the front office could definitely be improved.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

You must have a relative in the front office.

The mavs have struck out on every free agency period over the last 10 years and their drafting history is beyond terrible. I'd say the front office could definitely be improved.
someone at the front office sleep with your wife?
hph6203
AG
Nah, I'm just not of the belief that the Mavericks are an appealing place for free agents to play relative to the places they're actually signing. Green signed to play with AD and LeBron. Kawhi teamed up with George. Kyrie teamed up with KD. Morris went to a playoff team. Bogdanovich signed with a playoff team in Salt Lake. Brogdon signed with a playoff team in Indiana.

Right now the Mavs are selling the potential of a team centered around an admittedly amazing rookie season from Luka and a one legged Porzingis the last time anyone saw him. When those guys show that they're the real deal together you'll start getting real interest from free agents, but as it is you'd have to way overpay to convince a free agent to play here.

The Mavericks are not the only team to strike out so far this free agency period and the common theme among all of them is that they are not a destination city and they weren't in the playoffs last year. Dallas does not inspire thoughts of enjoyment among millionaires, hate to break it to you, so basketball success or a brinks truck worth of money are what sells it.
M.C. Swag
AG

Too little too late but whatever
M.C. Swag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

If we whiff on green, I hope they throw a huge offer at Delon Wright

This was the right move for a team that literally missed on everyone
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

Too little too late but whatever
Memphis is in a weird situation.

They have control of iguodala. They have Dwight Howard. They don't intend to keep them.

I wonder if they will match? Hopefully not.
2wealfth Man
AG
Memphis has recently indicated they would like to retain Wright. I am worried that Mavs would have to overpay in order to pry him away.
M.C. Swag
AG
I don't mean this in a dick-ish way but...so what? What else are they doing with the money? There's no other FA out there.

So unless you think the Mavs can orchestrate some trade deal (a highly dubious prospect), what does it matter if we overpay?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, That's why I would've been fine slightly overpaying for Bogdanovic, Beverly, Ross or lamb. It's not like we can do anything else with the money anyways.

I'm not crazy about delon wright though because his outside shooting is so poor. I was hoping we'd be able to surround Luka with some knock down shooters.
Guitarsoup
AG
There are multiple teams trying to rebuild and clear out salary and have some solid players, so there is something you can do with cap space.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

At least we got something.

Lol
hph6203
AG
3 years 29 million, still have a spot and about 13 million in space to add someone else.

Kelly Oubre? Curious to see if they try anything, they don't have much to lose.
Grapesoda2525
Avery Bradley is out there.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm glad they did this move. It doesn't absolve the FO completely but Wright is a solid pickup. He's 27, in his prime, and a smart player. The contract is actually a good one and Wright can easily guard the 1, 2, and smaller 3s. He's a good passer and good rebounder and actually pairs well next to Seth or Luka or Brunson (depending how rick stacks the lineups).

I still feel like there's another move to be made but as it currently stands, we're looking at our 2019-2020 roster. Basically, I think we're done here unless Dallas uses the remaining ~$14m to facilitate another trade.

At the end of the day, Dallas added 3 players who know their role and bring positive traits to the locker room. None are headline guys but we've seen rick make lemonade from far worse.
Seven Costanza
AG
Not sure how the minutes are going to shake out with this group. Brad Townsend has Justin Jackson as the starting SF, which is odd to me.

Wright/Doncic/Jackson/Porzingis/Powell

Brunson/Curry/Hardaway/Kleber/Boban/DFS.

That's too many guys.

There hasn't been much talk about what they will do with Courtney Lee's contract either.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd be absolutely shocked if THJ went to the bench.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Avery Bradley is out there.
I've read we are interested in him as well
rsf0626
Would love if the mavs go for Gallo (if okc shops him as a salary dump) or Oubre with the remaining money
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.