***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,783 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
True Anomaly said:

I'm not good with advanced stats, but eye test tells me that my preferred starting 5:

Luka
KP
Seth
Dodo
Maxi

Agreed.
Doug Ross
AG
if you were starting a nba franchise right now, what players would you trade luka for? I can think of one....MAYBE GIANNIS , other than that none, luka is the future
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, I honestly wouldn't trade Luka for anyone. He's doing stuff at age 20 that no one has done before. I was thrilled when we drafted him and thought he'd be amazing. But I didn't expect this kind of performance this early. It's incredible. He's got to be top 3 in mvp voting as of today (it's very early) and if he keeps this up for most of the season and the Mavs continue winning He has a chance to actually win it. I can't imagine what he could be doing in 3-4 years.
South Platte
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea, I honestly wouldn't trade Luka for anyone. He's doing stuff at age 20 that no one has done before. I was thrilled when we drafted him and thought he'd be amazing. But I didn't expect this kind of performance this early. It's incredible. He's got to be top 3 in mvp voting as of today (it's very early) and if he keeps this up for most of the season and the Mavs continue winning He has a chance to actually win it. I can't imagine what he could be doing in 3-4 years.
In 3-4 years hopefully he is dominating with KP and a 3rd (and 4th) premiere player. There is no reason we shouldn't get at least 1 title in the next 10 years with this kid. Just need a free agent to be willing to come to Dallas to win a title.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Which begs the question: what do they need to build around him? Obviously more quality depth; the 2nd team needs to be better across the board. Maybe a dominate PF to help on defense?
Saint Pablo
MW03 said:

I'm starting to believe Luka is a generational talent. Like LeBron. It's incredible.
Prior to the draft, I told a buddy that Luka was a white LeBron. I am starting to thing that LeBron is a black Luka.
South Platte
Ol Jock 99 said:

Which begs the question: what do they need to build around him? Obviously more quality depth; the 2nd team needs to be better across the board. Maybe a dominate PF to help on defense?
There are some guys on here that follow that stuff. I don't know. Given the size of KP and Doncic I was thinking more of a shooting guard like Jaylen Brown, Jrue Holiday, Derozan, and a bunch of other guys that we have zero chance at ever getting . . . .

These guys don't always move. Lilliard stayed with Portland and is hoping for the same thing we are. He and CJ are good enough to win a title with another player. Middleton stayed with MIL and is hoping that he and GA can get one.

Maybe Mitchell? Maybe get lucky in the draft?
mavsfan4ever
AG
You don't want anyone that is ball dominant. Someone like Derozan would be the worst player in the league to pair with Luka. He can't shoot 3s, would kill our spacing, is ball dominant and is not efficient (takes a ton of long 2s). I know he seems to always play well against us for some reason, but he doesn't help teams win.

I know we can't get him, but Middleton would be the best type of player to pair with Luka. A great 3+D type of wing who is not ball dominant, can shoot lights out, and can score on his own a little bit. Obviously, there aren't a ton of guys out there like that, but I think that a player like that is the dream scenario.

Marc Stein was interviewed by Bad Radio yesterday, and he basically agreed with the above (he even mentioned Middleton). He also said that us not getting Kemba was a blessing in disguise because Kemba is so ball dominant and would have hindered some of Luka's growth. I agree with that.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Saint Pablo said:

MW03 said:

I'm starting to believe Luka is a generational talent. Like LeBron. It's incredible.
Prior to the draft, I told a buddy that Luka was a white LeBron. I am starting to thing that LeBron is a black Luka.
haha that's pretty good.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

You don't want anyone that is ball dominant. Someone like Derozan would be the worst player in the league to pair with Luka. He can't shoot 3s, would kill our spacing, is ball dominant and is not efficient (takes a ton of long 2s). I know he seems to always play well against us for some reason, but he doesn't help teams win.

I know we can't get him, but Middleton would be the best type of player to pair with Luka. A great 3+D type of wing who is not ball dominant, can shoot lights out, and can score on his own a little bit. Obviously, there aren't a ton of guys out there like that, but I think that a player like that is the dream scenario.

Marc Stein was interviewed by Bad Radio yesterday, and he basically agreed with the above (he even mentioned Middleton). He also said that us not getting Kemba was a blessing in disguise because Kemba is so ball dominant and would have hindered some of Luka's growth. I agree with that.
MALCOLM BROGDON WOULD HAVE FIT LIKE A GLOVE.

Buddy Hield, Middleton,....anyone who essentially plays like Klay Thompson would be the guy to get. Catch+shoot, play perimeter defense, possesses secondary ball handing (not a requirement, but would be nice).
Carlo4
AG
Is Antoine Walker still available?
M.C. Swag
AG
Honestly tho, I think this team desparetly needs a traditional, high energy, big man. A guy like Andre Drummond would pair nicely with KP (pie in the sky). Even a Tristan Thompson.

Still sickens me that Montrez Harrell is on the Clips with that contract. He'd also be a great fit on this roster. Basically an all around better Dwight Powell.
Ol Jock 99
AG
KP is 24, Luka is 20. Plenty of time to find the right pieces.
Carlo4
AG
me right now watching mavs games...

hph6203
AG
Mavericks should have Giannis as the pipe dream and Bradley Beal as option 2 in the 2021 free agency period.
awinlonghorn
no thanks on beal. don't need other guys who are dominant on the ball players. I wish we had a JJ Reddick type shooter or a jamal crawford who can provide instant offense off the bench.
South Platte
mavsfan4ever said:

So essentially the recreation of Jason Terry. He wasn't that hard to get. Maybe there is hope.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ideally, a bigger Jason Terry who is a great defender.
PatAg
AG
I could be wrong, but Beal is comfortable playing off ball, and is only appearing ball dominant because John Wall is hurt.
hph6203
AG
His numbers from 16-17 suggest that, but I didn't watch a ton of the Wizards. Lots more 2 and under dribble and shoot shots in those seasons than this season so far (about 50% more). Had better shooting efficiency too, and he's young.
jeffdjohnson
If Beal wants to come then you take him no questions asked. Perfect fit. I don't see him wanting to leave but you never know.

When you look at the Mavs current assets I think it is unlikely that they make a (big) move this season. Their assets this season are:
Courtney Lee (expiring)
2020 Golden State second round pick (this is actually pretty amazing as it will likely be the 31st pick in next years draft)
Under 25 players: Justin Jackson, Jalen Brunson, Reeves/Roby as throw ins
12M Trade Exception
Far future 1st rounders

Looks like they could make a minor/medium type move if they really want to. But it wouldn't surprise me if they keep this team together for the rest of the season.

However, next season at the trade deadline (Feb. 2021) is when things get interesting. They would have:
Tim Hardaway Jr (expiring)
Whoever they selected in the 2020 draft first round (probably in the 15 range)
Whoever they selected in the 2020 draft second round (pick 31 + pick 45)
Under 25 players: Justin Jackson, Jalen Brunson, Reeves/Roby as throw ins
Future first round picks 2025, 2027
Plus you can make any salary match work with the easy to move Kleber/Curry/Powell/DFS contracts.

Everything is lining up perfectly to strike then. If they don't make a move then they go into 2021 Free Agency with a max slot. Something has got to give next season. For now, I think they just play it out with what they have.
hph6203
AG
Yup, they're in great position to improve dramatically by the 21-22 season. Take this year as figuring out how to get KP and Luka functioning well and if you make the playoffs it's a bonus, then next year you make the moves to improve if they're available.

For the first time I'd be excited and expectant about a free agency with a lot of cap space, because by then the Luka mania will be out of control. Especially if KP figures it out. He seems to be as his rebounding totals are on the up trend and it's not that he doesn't play some productive minutes he just starts most games pretty poorly. Play the 1st quarter closer to his 3rd quarter and he'll start looking really good.
M.C. Swag
AG
Great post. I agree that this year will be a "feeling out" year. The Mavs wont (and shouldnt) look to make any big moves this season, unless a big/obvious move falls into your lap (like KP did).

If the team develops a bit, Kleber, DFS, and Bruson should be pretty good assets going into next season.
awinlonghorn
they need to use their $12M trade exception this year. Who should they get or sign for the bench?
True Anomaly
AG
Hope y'all got to see the hilarious video with Luka, Maxi and Boban that the Mavs put up yesterday but for some reason took it down- may have had something to do with the poor quality of the video. The three of them answered questions from a cup on the table, and it just devolves into them busting on each other. Great stuff that has serious potential for a series
awrollins
Wow, I really like this version of THJ. Really helps the team when he is hitting
hph6203
AG
awinlonghorn said:

they need to use their $12M trade exception this year. Who should they get or sign for the bench?
There's not a whole lot they can do with it. They can pair it with a pick and get a player that is on a 1-2 year deal that is overpaid, but that's about it. TPE's aren't that great of an asset, or not use a pick and get a guy that another team intends to waive. You're not gonna get a great player with it or even a guy that you would sign off the street for the same contract.
Ervin Burrell
AG
40 point lead after three...how many times has that happened in franchise history?
Danny Vermin
I dont want to trade anyone as I'm a big chemistry guy and this team really has it.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Also, how the phauck did we lose to the Knicks twice. Should be 12-3 after tonight.
Danny Vermin
Ervin Burrell said:

Also, how the phauck did we lose to the Knicks twice. Should be 12-3 after tonight.

The crazy thing is we should actually be 15-1 as we got screwed by the refs in the blazers and Lakers games and not losing the sorry knicks twice.
mavsfan4ever
AG
We may never win by less than 40 again.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Danny Vermin said:

I dont want to trade anyone as I'm a big chemistry guy and this team really has it.

Agree with this. We have awesome chemistry and don't want to risk messing that up for an overpaid player who won't help us much. Would rather just wait and try and get a max player in 2021.
M.C. Swag
AG
Weird...I haven't seen any "fire rick Carlisle" comments recently. Almost as if a team shooting 21% from wide open 3s wasn't the coaches fault.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha I never said I wanted him fired. I said he had terrible end game management that cost us games. Luckily we don't have to worry about that when we when by 40+.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.