***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

186,760 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
awrollins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffdjohnson said:

awrollins said:

The possible scenarios for a non Clippers matchup in the first round:

Mavs win out, Utah loses out
Denver wins out

Also, I'm not sure of any of the potential tiebreakers but if Houston wins out and the clippers lose out they are tied and if OKC loses out and the Mavs win out they are tied.

Moral of the story, a matchup against the clippers is almost guaranteed to happen. But, far less likely things in the NBA and even in the bubble (who would've thought T.J. Warren would look like Steph Curry in the middle of the Warriors dynasty) have happened. Go Nuggets!
While the first scenario is possible, I think it is the more unlikely one. Tomorrow the Mavs play a back to back and will likely rest Luka/KP. It would be tough to beat a desperate Portland team tomorrow with backups but you never know.

Interesting though that Denver controls their own destiny. I didn't realize that.

Yeah, me neither until I looked at both of their schedules. Another scenario would be that the clippers lose both of their games and Denver goes 2-1
awrollins
awrollins said:

The possible scenarios for a non Clippers matchup in the first round:

Mavs win out, Utah loses out
Denver wins out

Also, I'm not sure of any of the potential tiebreakers but if Houston wins out and the clippers lose out they are tied and if OKC loses out and the Mavs win out they are tied.

Moral of the story, a matchup against the clippers is almost guaranteed to happen. But, far less likely things in the NBA and even in the bubble (who would've thought T.J. Warren would look like Steph Curry in the middle of the Warriors dynasty) have happened. Go Nuggets!

Here is an article that explains it in further detail:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-mavericks/nba/mavericks/news/analyzing-the-three-dallas-mavs-nba-playoff-seeding-scenarios-in-the-bubble
NoahAg
fightinags2013 said:

That is amazing. Luka. Not LeBron, MJ, Magic, Kobe. But Luka. Wow.
NoahAg
Boban, Barea, and the B Team rally past the Jazz!

Carlisle playing 4-D chess.
Danny Phantom
So if the Jazz lose against the spurs and we beat portland we get the 6th seed?
M.C. Swag
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Yep lol. Jazz are scared of houston and would rather play the clippers (which is insane to me).
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

Danny Phantom said:

Yep lol. Jazz are scared of houston and would rather play the clippers (which is insane to me).

Don't we also have to beat Phoenix?
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins said:

M.C. Swag said:

Danny Phantom said:

Don't we also have to beat Phoenix?
I don't think so. Jazz only have 1 game left and if we beat portland that will put us over them in terms of wins. Or am I wrong?
Seven Costanza
AG
Dallas has to win its final two games along with a Utah loss in order to have the better winning percentage, since the two teams are playing an unequal number of games.

Dallas winning both games would put their final winning percentage at .600, while a Utah loss puts theirs at .597.

A Dallas loss in one of the two final games puts their final winning pct. at .587.
NukeAg10
AG
That blown game against Houston sucks worse now, knowing that.
South Platte
Seven Costanza said:

Dallas has to win its final two games along with a Utah loss in order to have the better winning percentage, since the two teams are playing an unequal number of games.

Dallas winning both games would put their final winning percentage at .600, while a Utah loss puts theirs at .597.

A Dallas loss in one of the two final games puts their final winning pct. at .587.
And then 5th if OKC loses to Miami and LAC?
PatAg
AG
the refs in the bubble have been ****ing horrible, especially these younger ones that have sucked all year
Phat32
AG
Horrible call
Danny Phantom
If you're not watching this game you're missing out
MW03
AG
Can't believe they fouled KP out on that horse**** call.
Spaceship
AG
Tough one
M.C. Swag
AG
What a ****show. That was a really bad game by the refs.
MW03
AG
Doesn't help that nobody could stay in front of Lillard. Or beside him. Or even really closely behind him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
******* it, Mavs. Thanks for nothing.
PatAg
AG
MW03 said:

Doesn't help that nobody could stay in front of Lillard. Or beside him. Or even really closely behind him.
Not allowed to stay near him when he is getting Dwyane Wade calls.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That was a poorly officiated 4th. NBA refs trying to control a game at its finest.

Also, we get it, Lillard. You have a big chip on your shoulder. Now actually win something
South Platte
Enzo The Baker said:

That was a poorly officiated 4th. NBA refs trying to control a game at its finest.

Also, we get it, Lillard. You have a big chip on your shoulder. Now actually win something
I really like him. He's the next guy to join up with another free agent or two. Way more likable and clutch than Harden.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I like him too. He's just been a little insufferable lately. He also seems like a Portland, small-market guy through and through, which is rare these days.
Southlake
Lillard going around KP reminded briefly of Shawn Bradley.

Once again, Doncic misses a late FT that ultimately lost the game. If the ball is going to be in his hands at the end, he needs to be ice on the line.

But, this start up has really shown the Mavs weak spots and even tho I'm enjoying watching them play, you can tell that they aren't far from being a young top 5 team.
MW03
AG
They desperately need a wing defender than can also score 10 a game and hit 20 on some nights.
Danny Phantom
I thought everybody played well in the clutch & made their shots. The KP & Burke offensive fouls were bad calls. DFS made the 3 too on the Burke foul which would of given us the lead. The refs clearly wanted Portland to win for ratings vs Lakers first round.

Also, there's not much you can do when lillard is in the zone & pulls up from the half court logo. When we tried to help out & double him Carmelo made his 3 point shots.
500,000ags
AG
I like Lillard, but he's talking a lot and getting taken down into the dregs. He's good enough to let his play speak for itself.
fightinags2013
AG
George, Leonard, and Lou Williams look locked in and ready to go for the playoffs. Mavs are going to have to play out of their minds to make it a competitive series.

Series prediction? I say Clippers in 5, but I would be happy if the Mavs push it to 6 games and make most of them competitive.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I generally hate Dallas other than the time they denied LeBron wade and whats his face their first super title. That said Luka is a total joy to watch and I would love to see them upset the clips
EconAg18
AG
Since we're locked into the 7 seed, I wouldn't mind us resting KP and Luka and letting our reserves get a lot more playing time. This game doesn't matter from a win/loss perspective. I do think the Suns are a fun team to watch and would love to see them in the playoffs, so there is that silver lining to a loss today.
MW03
AG
I think it's important to see how they respond to what Lillard did with how they play Booker. Good sparring experience before George and Leonard come to town.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Quote:

Couple questions.....

With Golden State being "back" next year, does that pretty much mean Rockets are at best a 4? Would be very impressed to be a 4 honestly next year....Denver is also gonna be very good again and they just seem to grind it out and get W's despite not being as good in postseason.

Do Pelicans even make the playoffs by year 3 with Zion (next 2 years)? Just not sure they bounce Utah/Denver/Dallas/Houston anytime soon and Portland/Memphis/OKC/Suns/Spurs gonna be there as well.

Is this the best all around the NBA has ever been? Good mix of old vets, early 30's, mid 20's, and guys just out of college. Being a top 30 or so player in the league has never been tougher.
Posted on Rockets thread but curious what yall think as well.
M.C. Swag
AG
I don't see SA bouncing back. They just dont have the star power. At BEST they can sneak into an 8th spot.

Tier 1 - Playoff locks (pending injuries):
  • Clippers - They'll probably lose montrez harrell and Marcus Morris in FA, but with Kawhi, PG, Zubac, Shamet, and Lou coming off the bench they're in.
  • Nuggets - I think they only get better
  • Lakers - This really depends on Lebron's fitness. If he's healthy, they're in.

Tier 2 - Should Make Playoffs
  • Jazz - Talent isn't an issue for this team, but their chemistry sucks. Clarkson will be missed but they were in the playoffs before signing him. See no reason why that changes.
  • Warriors - They have absolutely 0 depth or margin for injury, but they have 4 all star caliber players. I just can't see a world where they miss the playoffs with a healthy Klay and Steph, but if it happens, it'll be b/c Wiggins is who we always thought he was and draymond's production continues to decline.
Tier 3 - Playoff contenders (in order)
  • Grizzlies - I LOVE this roster with a healthy Justice Winslow inserted into the starting lineup. I think they're going to shock alot of people next season.
  • Rockets - I personally don't like their roster construction over the course of 82 games. This is a team built for the playoffs, so if they can get there, they'll be dangerous, but i worry about the grind of a full season beating down this small team. Especially for a guy like Tucker who is asked to play 40+min often. At some point his age and minutes toll will show.
  • Mavs - Luka and KP. 'nuff said. The only thing this team lacks is a third guy. As currently constructed, they can beat anyone but they can also lose to anyone too.
  • Portland - They lose Whiteside and Carmelo (not huge losses) but they should have the star power to compete.
  • Thunder - ONLY if they keep Galinari. If he walks, they're out of the playoffs.
  • Kings - Coaching and health is this team's problem. From top to bottom they have a really good roster that fit well with each other. Bagley MUST stay healthy and Walton MUST be replaced. Otherwise it'll be another missed playoffs for this team.
  • NOLA
  • Suns
Tier 4 - Lottery Locks
  • TWolves
  • Spurs

In summary, I'm predicting the top 5 will be:
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Jazz

with a bloodbath battle for 6-8 of:
Grizz, Rockets, Mavs, Trailblazers and to lesser extent, Thunder/Kings/NOLA/Suns
mavsfan4ever
AG
Agree with top tier. I'd put Houston and golden state in second tier. And then everyone else in third tier, with Dallas at the top.
mavsfan4ever
AG
The Luka and KP playoff era begins.

I'm surprised the line is so low tonight. And thought the series odds would also be much higher than what they are. I really don't see us winning more than 1 game in the series, if that. But I definitely hope I'm wrong.

Feels weird (not as much excitement as usual) for a playoff game/series. I think part of it is that a big part of the excitement is going to the games and a big part of wanting them to keep winning is so that I can go to more playoff games. But I'm still pretty pumped to see how we play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.