***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,785 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Cheers for the mavs season thread having the most posts out of any Texas team.

There just wasn't anything remotely interesting to talk about until last season.

Just Dirk, a bunch of FA misses and plug and chug wings like OJ Mayo, Darren Collison etc. that just didn't work out.

We had a pretty good time looking at the draft the last few years and then dissecting both DSJ and Luka when they were drafted, and how'd they fit on the team
PatAg
AG
Money Ag said:

You are going to need a really great 3-8 because Luka/KP are not even close to some of the other duos in the league
ok bud
Grapesoda2525
Curry broke his hand tonight. That golden state team is snake bit on the injury front. Don't know how long that injury takes to recover.

It would be nice to see them miss the playoffs completely. I still don't like that team. curry's injury could be the opening we need to make the playoffs tho. A lot of experts predicted that the Mavericks wouldn't make it. Hopefully we can at least take golden states spot now.
Good Poster
AG
PatAg said:

Money Ag said:

You are going to need a really great 3-8 because Luka/KP are not even close to some of the other duos in the league
ok bud

9 duos in the league better than them by my count
jeffdjohnson
Grapesoda2525 said:

Curry broke his hand tonight. That golden state team is snake bit on the injury front. Don't know how long that injury takes to recover.

It would be nice to see them miss the playoffs completely. I still don't like that team. curry's injury could be the opening we need to make the playoffs tho. A lot of experts predicted that the Mavericks wouldn't make it. Hopefully we can at least take golden states spot now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/

Look what has happened to the Mavs "fringe playoff" competition. Golden State is toasted this year. Just dropped to 25th in current ELO rating. I think they tank. If they are smart (light years ahead) then they will bring out the tank now and try to come back next year with Steph, Klay, top 5 pick, DLo, Green, Looney and the MLE. The Kings lost Bagley to injury for weeks and have started terribly. The Pelicans lost Zion to injury for weeks and have started terribly.

I think LAC, LAL, Denver, Utah and Houston are playoff locks. I would favor SAS and Portland to make the playoffs as well. So if you are searching for the 8th contender then (due to the injuries noted above) it is really between the Mavs, Timberwolves and ... Suns (!?). It should be noted that the Suns lost Ayton for 25 games as well. Anyways, based on what we've seen the first 2 weeks I think the Mavs have a very good squad and could finish anywhere between 5th - 9th.
True Anomaly
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Look what has happened to the Mavs "fringe playoff" competition. Golden State is toasted this year. Just dropped to 25th in current ELO rating. I think they tank. If they are smart (light years ahead) then they will bring out the tank now and try to come back next year with Steph, Klay, top 5 pick, DLo, Green, Looney and the MLE. The Kings lost Bagley to injury for weeks and have started terribly. The Pelicans lost Zion to injury for weeks and have started terribly.

I think LAC, LAL, Denver, Utah and Houston are playoff locks. I would favor SAS and Portland to make the playoffs as well. So if you are searching for the 8th contender then (due to the injuries noted above) it is really between the Mavs, Timberwolves and ... Suns (!?). It should be noted that the Suns lost Ayton for 25 games as well. Anyways, based on what we've seen the first 2 weeks I think the Mavs have a very good squad and could finish anywhere between 5th - 9th.
Solid analysis- totally agree. The Curry injury is definitely a game-changer for the West

Was wondering what had happened to Ayton. Can't believe i wanted him over Luka
South Platte
True Anomaly said:

Solid analysis- totally agree. The Curry injury is definitely a game-changer for the West

Still early for both guys, but yes, the early returns have been incredible for Dallas. Few people could have predicted what Luka would do so quickly. I think he and Brunson may be our best draft picks since Josh Howard? Along with Aguirre, Perkins, and Harper, Luka already appears to be one of the best picks in franchise history.
True Anomaly
AG
South Platte said:

True Anomaly said:

Still early for both guys, but yes, the early returns have been incredible for Dallas. Few people could have predicted what Luka would do so quickly. I think he and Brunson may be our best draft picks since Josh Howard? Along with Aguirre, Perkins, and Harper, Luka already appears to be one of the best picks in franchise history.
If you go buy Rookie of the Year awards, then Luka stands only with Jason Kidd- but Kidd had to share his ROY award. Luka's the only Mavs standalone winner
Seven Costanza
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm still grouping New Orleans, OKC, and Sacramento in that group despite the slow start. Aside from Memphis (and now likely Golden State), the entire West is competitive.
PooDoo
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
Money Ag said:

PatAg said:

Money Ag said:

ok bud

9 duos in the league better than them by my count

What's your point? Even assuming your number is correct (I don't think it is, I rank Luka/KP higher than that), the 9th best duo in the league is easily enough to make the playoffs which is really what the goal this year has always been. And there are only a couple of duos to which Luka/KP "aren't even close to."

Not having much of a third option will likely hurt us in the playoffs when teams can really focus on shutting down Luka/KP, and the bench doesn't typically matter as much in the playoffs due to shorter rotations and more days off. But a duo as good as Luka/KP plus our great bench should be enough to get us to the playoffs this year. I think we could surprise some people and get a seed in the 4-8 range.

TheMasterplan
Nice clip.

Lost it at dirk falling in the beginning.
Grapesoda2525
jeffdjohnson said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

If it really is as bad as you say,

That idiot Draymond green will probably fake an injury so he doesn't have to play with the guys left out there. That guy has no class at all.
Good Poster
AG
AD/Lebron
Kawhi/PG
Harden/Westbrook
Simmons/Embiid
Giannis/Middleton
CJ/Dame
Gobert/Mitchell
Murray/Joker

When healthy:

Kyrie/KD
Steph/Klay
M.C. Swag
AG
Money Ag said:

AD/Lebron
Kawhi/PG
Harden/Westbrook
Simmons/Embiid
Giannis/Middleton
CJ/Dame
Gobert/Mitchell
Murray/Joker

When healthy:

Kyrie/KD
Steph/Klay

If only our duo were like super young with room to grow as some other duos aged out. I can only wish our 20 and 24 yr old tandem would last as long as AD/Lebron, Kawhi/PG, Harden/Westbrook, Kyrie/KD...what hope is left?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Money Ag said:

AD/Lebron
Kawhi/PG
Harden/Westbrook
Simmons/Embiid
Giannis/Middleton
CJ/Dame
Gobert/Mitchell
Murray/Joker

When healthy:

Kyrie/KD
Steph/Klay

For this year (taking injuries into consideration), I would put AD/Lebron and Kawhi/PG as definitely ahead of KP/Luka. I would definitely put Gobert/Mitchell at the bottom of the list. I can see good arguments for arranging the rest of the duos in any order. I personally would put KP/Luka head of some of the others, but it's splitting hairs either way.

And if the question is which duo would you want going forward, I'm not sure I'd trade KP/Luka for any of the duos. Their age, ability to keep improving, and their entertainment factor is off the charts.
PooDoo
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
Lakers -1.5 tonight.

Perfect 8:30 tip tonight to allow everyone plenty of time to get a couple drinks before tipoff and get extra ROWDY PROUD and LOUD.

Will be interesting to see who guards AD.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Will be interesting to see who guards AD.
"guards" will be a loosely defined term.

But i think KP has to be assigned to him. I know AD plays the "4", and KP usually defends as the 5 but I don't think Maxi or Powell are equipped to handle him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea AD has bulked up and is punishing people down low this season (he's on the Lebron steroids diet) so KP may get the assignment. KP hasn't been good at closing out to the 3 point line so hopefully AD doesn't get hot from outside tonight.

I'd like to see Kleber get some chances to see what he could do as well.
M.C. Swag
AG
For sure. Outside of like Giannis, I'm not any single player in the league can guard AD. I do expect a combo of Kleber+KP.

I don't want Powell anywhere near AD.

jeffdjohnson
Grapesoda2525
Rockets look pretty salty so far this year.
PooDoo
AG
PooDoo
AG
Even the refs can't stop Luka tonight.
MW03
AG
This team is so much fun. Like 2001 surprise first round win over Utah fun. Luka is an absolute freak.
hph6203
AG
Caruso.
PooDoo
AG
Is JKidd an assistant for the Lakers?
BallerStaf2003
AG
Wish they would've shown a replay of that one handed oop luka threw.
Phat32
AG
What a crock of crap. Howard pulling the guy back on the screen right in front of the ref.
PooDoo
AG
I was wrong... They didn't see Howards arms wrapped around Curry on that last shot?
TheMasterplan
Dumb defense by Dallas on that Danny Green 3.
PatAg
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Phat32
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Howard held Curry
Danny Vermin
Lakers get yet another unreal call. Curry was damn near tackled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.