***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,804 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo
AG
PooDoo
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
Did anyone with a ticket package get a frame of dirk getting the key to the city in the mail? I got one in the mail yesterday, and it didn't come with any note or anything, so I have no clue who sent it. My initial thought was that maybe the Mavs sent it, but I would think they'd include a note. And, the address was from a sports collectible shop in satellite beach, Florida, which doesn't seem like a place the Mavs would send something from.

Anyone else? Or do I just have a random secret admirer? Very weird.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Did anyone with a ticket package get a frame of dirk getting the key to the city in the mail? I got one in the mail yesterday, and it didn't come with any note or anything, so I have no clue who sent it. My initial thought was that maybe the Mavs sent it, but I would think they'd include a note. And, the address was from a sports collectible shop in satellite beach, Florida, which doesn't seem like a place the Mavs would send something from.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but that is the season ticket holder gift for this season. They give one out every season. Last year it was a bronzed mini-statue of Dirk honoring his 20th season
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

YES!!!

omg that's been bothering me for a couple weeks now!!! I was asking my parents and everyone; "hey did you buy me this?"
True Anomaly
AG
Did y'all not get contacted by your ticket reps letting you know about this?
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

Did y'all not get contacted by your ticket reps letting you know about this?
lol nope. Had no idea.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha that's hilarious. I didn't get contacted by my ticket rep either and just had it show up out of the blue. I contacted my parents and in laws asking about it and they both knew nothing. My co-worker thought I may have drunkenly ordered it one night. She almost had me convinced that that was a possibility, but it wasn't on my credit card.

I was really hoping it was the Mavs because (1) I wouldn't know who to thank and (2) it would just be weird and awkward for one of my friends or someone I work with to send that to me out of the blue.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I haven't gotten mine yet, but that is the season ticket holder gift for this season. They give one out every season. Last year it was a bronzed mini-statue of Dirk honoring his 20th season

Damn, I don't think I got the bronze statue last year. Now I feel cheated.
M.C. Swag
AG
SAME!!
M.C. Swag
AG
I'll trade this framed key to the city deal for a bronze Dirk statue? Any takers?
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Haha that's hilarious. I didn't get contacted by my ticket rep either and just had it show up out of the blue. I contacted my parents and in laws asking about it and they both knew nothing. My co-worker thought I may have drunkenly ordered it one night. She almost had me convinced that that was a possibility, but it wasn't on my credit card.

I was really hoping it was the Mavs because (1) I wouldn't know who to thank and (2) it would just be weird and awkward for one of my friends or someone I work with to send that to me out of the blue.

Lmao same man. I was like this feels like something my dad might get me because it's kinda tacky and he loves that kind of stuff. Was driving me nuts.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I'll trade this framed key to the city deal for a bronze Dirk statue? Any takers?
Sorry dude- mine ain't leaving my desk

They only gave out 6000 of them, but maybe there are a few floating out there online?
PooDoo
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
Every article and video I see of Luka and staps makes me love my Mavs 100/1 title bet.

I'm sure it won't happen but they have too much potential to pass that up. Just wish we had gotten them a little more to work with in the offseason.
hph6203
AG
Is it gonna be Staps or Zinger?
PatAg
AG
KP seems more logical
PooDoo
AG
fightinags2013
AG
Mavs/Thunder tonight in Tulsa
fightinags2013
AG
No KP tonight per Carlisle
COAg15
AG
But playing Wednesday apparently. Guess Rick wants to avoid back to backs.
True Anomaly
AG
That was kinda fun tonight. The GREAT BABA even had an athletic big boy attempt at a dunk near the end of the game.

We need more Van Gundy being forced to do preseason games. He was salty as **** about everything...except Baba
jeffdjohnson
mavsfan4ever said:

Every article and video I see of Luka and staps makes me love my Mavs 100/1 title bet.

I'm sure it won't happen but they have too much potential to pass that up. Just wish we had gotten them a little more to work with in the offseason.

Interesting bet but (IMO) even in the best case where Luka / KP both play at an all star level I think the Mavs would still be a move away from true contention. Not to mention their lack of playoff experience is a hindrance.

I think the Mavs are missing an athletic PF / wing defender who can also hit 3's. I'm thinking an Otto Porter Jr or Robert Covington type would be perfect on this team and allow them to unlock their best possible lineup. I think a future Mavs "death lineup" looks something like Luka / 3+D Wing / 3+D Wing / 3+D Wing / KP. Offensively Luka is the primary ball handler surrounded by shooters. That is an extremely tough cover for anyone because the Mavs get the benefit of "small ball" while playing big. Defensively it works because there is enough flexibility to shift Luka onto the weakest guard / wing player on the court while also maintaining rim protection with KP.

Right now the best approximation of that is Luka / Delon Wright / Finney-Smith? / Justin Jackson? / KP. That ain't it. I think the Mavs are taking a bit of a long view though as I don't think their title window is open quite yet. Never know what opportunities might arise but I wouldn't expect any big moves from them this year. Their chips are the 2020 draft pick (the pick is not trade-able before the draft), far-ish future picks like 2025, 2027 first rounders, a bunch of 2nd rounders, expiring Courtney Lee, soon to be expiring Hardaway Jr. and ultimately the max cap space that will be open right before Luka signs his max extension. Feels like they are going to go all in at some point, probably next trade deadline, just don't think it is this year.
hph6203
AG
It would require the LAL or LAC or both to have an injury to one of the members of their duo. I'd be more concerned with the Clippers, because they have the better coach. Not outside the realm of possibility given the injury history of those players.

Not a fan of the Russ/Harden pairing, but we'll see.
J.P. 03
AG
And so it begins...KP with 18 points in 19 minutes tonight, including 2/7 from 3. Second only to Luka's 21. Not too shabby for a preseason debut.
M.C. Swag
AG
Bit of a mixed bag last night.

KP+Luka certainly flashed. First game together? Only gonna get better.

Luka didn't play his best game (particularly in the 3rd qtr), but did that thing where he still managed to stuff that stat box. There were a couple possessions were i thought Luka could have looked to get a teammate involved first before heaving one of this step back 3s but thats what pre-season is for.

His confrontation with Brown was a little weird. Luka's foul-hunting is one thing but i hope he doesnt let it get to his head if the call goes the other way.

KP looked so damn good. Thought he could have played more aggressive on D, but I certainly don't begrudge him for taking it easy last night. Just seeing him settle within the flow of the offense and remain active on the boards was hella good to see.

IF KP stays healthy, this team should be squarely in the playoff mix.

Scatter shot thoughts:
  • Maxi and Justin Jackson were pretty much ghosts despite getting serious minutes. I understand there isn't alot of opportunity to score with Wright, Luka, and KP getting 80% of the shots, but I still expect them to remain active on the boards (which didn't happen at all). And Maxi just did not play hard at all on D.
  • The 5th starter spot for the Mavs could be a problem all year if Jackson doesn't step up. Hardaway is too inconsistent to rely on w/ the starting unit but fits well coming off the bench.
  • Brunson and Seth are so close to figuring it out. These dudes are gonna torch 2nd units when they build a little more chemistry.
  • Boban...I hope we see as little of his as possible.
  • 2nd pre-season game in a row where the opposing big man destroyed us. The good news is that Drummond and Adams are no slouches. With some better scheming (and effort) we should play better. But something to keep an eye on next game.
  • Defense in general has been atrocious. I think we're allowing 40%+ from 3 for our opponents (which i believe was how we started the year last year). We absolutely CANNOT afford to have a similar start this season. That 2-9 (i believe was the first 11 games record) was an absolute anchor.

True Anomaly
AG
Finally! A home game TONIGHT!

Even for a preseason game, that arena's gotta be loud with the new wonder-duo debuting at home
PooDoo
AG
Jackson has a little something... And Boban is an absolute mountain.

Seems like they had momentum to get the win until they put Courtney Lee in.
True Anomaly
AG
As Mark Followill said on Twitter, Giannis and Luka played as if it wasn't preseason.

The game atmosphere felt very weird last night. It very well could be that it was in my head that Dirk wasn't there anymore. But the changes that the Mavs have made were evident as well. It's not just getting rid of the dancers, or that they didn't highlight the ManiAACs or the drum line, but time outs just seemed to lack the energy they used to. It's preseason though so we'll see how the season unfolds

The most noticeable difference in the game presentation is that they now dim the lights around the arena and leave the lights on the court up- very similar to what Madison Square Garden does, and how Reunion Arena used to be for games. Not sure if that came across on TV, but it definitely made the in-arena experience feel different.
M.C. Swag
AG
I like Rick experimenting with the lineups but I think Brunson should NEVER get DNP'd in a half ever again. He's too good to leave off the court and is making me wonder if he belongs with the starters.

It's good to see Luka finding his touch from 3pt & the FT line but I wanna see a little more of him off ball (just to see what Wright can do).

Maxi has been a damn ghost through 3 games. I hope he's just saving himself because so far he's been one of the biggest disappointments.

Getting a little concerned about Dwight. Rick already confirmed he's out for the rest of pre season. Which seems like a pretty big deal for a "minor injury." Would loved to have seen him get a little run with the starters before the season tip.
M.C. Swag
AG
From my TV, the court did look brighter. I like that theatre style lighting. Hopefully direct more attention to the court and encourage more fan participation.

I'm going to the game on Monday against the Thunder so I'll have to see about the atmosphere.
PooDoo
AG
Maxi's playing good!
True Anomaly
AG
Great preview for how this team could potentially function this season. Luka and KP showed how well they can play off each other, despite their shooting percentage not being great. Luka still damn near had a triple double though

Nice to see Delon Wright finally show something this preseason.

Just need to get Dwight Powell back to see how he fits into the starting roll on this team

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.