***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,784 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, not a perfect game, but damn near everyone flashed in all the right ways.

Maxi had his best game (despite that hilarious dunk attempt).
Delon finally getting in a groove (still needs to hit those wide open 3s).
THJ is quietly being a total team player. He dimed up Delon for what should have been a couple easy 3pointers.
Luka is luka.
KP is still looking a little rusty. His shot hasn't fallen consistently yet, but he's moving pretty well off-ball. I think he's taking it a little easy on D but I'm totally ok with that in the pre-season.

Even Barea showed some of his best self. He dimed up nearly everyone. I can already tell it's going to be a contentious issue amongst Mavs fans about JJ v Bruson leading the second units.
M.C. Swag
AG
Also, I was able to attend in person last night so a couple "game atmosphere" things i noticed:
  • The court lighting is definitely different. The hardwood "pops" alot more but as for the "darkened" seating, I'm not sure if i noticed a whole lot of difference. Either way, I actually like how the court looks from the seats.
  • The team intro was basically the same except there's no dancers on the court. It felt very stilted and awkward. The drumline had some new members and they were off, but no biggie. Still think we're missing something. (I thought we'd be using that new court technology that was displayed during Dirk's last home game? Was that just a 1-and-done? They should incorporate that somehow.)
  • Also, the concession stands now make you sign for your purchase with CCs. Slows things up by a mini-second.
Either way, felt good to be back. AAC had way more people in the seats than last year's pre-season game i attended.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

THJ is quietly being a total team player. He dimed up Delon for what should have been a couple easy 3pointers.
Luka is luka.
KP is still looking a little rusty. His shot hasn't fallen consistently yet, but he's moving pretty well off-ball. I think he's taking it a little easy on D but I'm totally ok with that in the pre-season.

Even Barea showed some of his best self. He dimed up nearly everyone. I can already tell it's going to be a contentious issue amongst Mavs fans about JJ v Bruson leading the second units.
I definitely worry about the JJ/Brunson angle. JJ will always be a fan favorite, but Brunson has something and needs to grow. And with Wright taking the 2 spot in the starting lineup, and with Seth Curry on the roster...it's a crowded house for the guards.

As an aside, it's crazy that there are only two active players left from the 2011 championship team- JJ and Tyson. Just shows how damn old that team was
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

As an aside, it's crazy that there are only two active players left from the 2011 championship team- JJ and Tyson. Just shows how damn old that team was
Corey Brewer says "how dare you?"
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

He's not listed as an active player on the NBA's website
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

He's not listed as an active player on the NBA's website
NOT YET
South Platte
Just found this thread. I like that we are out-posting the Rockets by a large margin. Hope this is an amazing season.

M.C. Swag
AG
South Platte said:

Just found this thread. I like that we are out-posting the Rockets by a large margin. Hope this is an amazing season.

Welcome! Love the gif. Prolly only second to this one:

haha and don't worry, the Rockets will shoot past us eventually. But I'm looking forward to the natives dumping on Westbrook.
NoahAg
M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

Is Mahinmi done? He played last season right?
M.C. Swag
AG
NoahAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

ohh ya good call! completely forgot about that guy. Yea, he's actually under contract for another $15m next year lmao
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

NoahAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

ohh ya good call! completely forgot about that guy. Yea, he's actually under contract for another $15m next year lmao

Well **** me
South Platte
M.C. Swag said:

NoahAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luka is luka.

What world do we live in that Ian Mahinmi will gross $100M in NBA salary? Although I'll always appreciate his bucket at the 3rd quarter buzzer in Game 6. As odd as it sounds, I felt like that was the dagger.
True Anomaly
AG
Great "dress rehearsal" last night against the Clippers, even if the Clips weren't at full strength. The Mavs started out incredibly strong- the offense just looked so fluid. So nice to see KP and Luka both have a double-double

Wednesday will be here before we know it! But they're using those incredibly boring "Statement" jerseys
M.C. Swag
AG
Wasn't able to watch the game last night (i'm turning into an old fogey. 9:30pm tips just aren't in my wheelhouse anymore).

But i saw that clip of Luka getting into that kerfuffle with Terrence Mann. lol I hope Luka gets his emotions in check or he's gonna find himself on the wrong end of a right hook.
COAg15
AG
Ehh, nobody likes the guy that swats the ball out from you after the whistle. It wasn't like Luka sought out a confrontation.
jeffdjohnson

The stat sheet and highlights are looking nice. To make the playoffs (and be dangerous) I still think this team could really use a Robert Covington type guy. Someone to guard the Kawahi's of the world and hit open 3's on the wing would really round out the team. I am hoping that one of Kleber or Finney-Smith could fill this role and have a breakout year.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/

Looking at the NBA I was surprised that 538 has the Mavs as the 10th best squad (in terms of ELO rating) when at full strength. Currently sitting at 7th (due to injuries on other teams / like Klay Thompson and Paul George) with a 63% chance of making the playoffs.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/mavericks/

They have the Mavs with 7 players who are net positive 2 way players. Part of the projection includes estimating Luka at 37 minutes per game though. I just don't see happening. That would hurt the Mavs overall rating if they drop down his minutes. But they might be underestimating KP since his projection includes return from injury. Who knows.

The current top 8 playoff teams odds (per 538) are Houston, Clippers, Nuggets, Lakers, Jazz, Warriors, Mavs and... Thunder. I'm surprised how down they are on the Spurs and high they are on the Thunder.

The West is so good that I think you need to also consider how highly leveraged each team is with respect to injuries. The good teams that can survive extended injuries: Houston, Clippers, Nuggets, Jazz all are virtual locks to me. The good teams that need to stay healthy: Lakers, Warriors. Next in line solid teams with playoff pedigree: Spurs, Blazers. Those are the most likely 8 but... I feel confident that at least 1 (probably 2) of those teams drop. Can the Mavs snag a spot if (when) it opens up? Should be fun.
M.C. Swag
AG
COAg15 said:

Ehh, nobody likes the guy that swats the ball out from you after the whistle. It wasn't like Luka sought out a confrontation.
Well, ya I'm not saying Luka started it (I only saw the brief clip that showed the swat and the shove). But I've watched every other pre-season game and in each one, Luka got into it with another player.

I talked about this with a buddy. We all know that Luka is a bit of a foul-hunter. He'll seek contact out (similar to Harden but not as egregious) in attempts to draw a whistle. But when that whistle doesn't come OR, even worse, when the whistle actually goes against Luka (offensive foul), he absolutely loses his ***** Every time. It's not a big deal, almost every player complains to the ref, but Luka will make it a bit of a show.

Which again, is fine. But what he does that a guy like Harden doesn't, is that he'll eyeball the defending player. And that's where he gets in trouble. He can't foul hunt, complain to the ref, AND eyeball the other playerit's only a matter of time before a confrontation will break out (as it did against the Clippers, Detroit, and nearly OKC's Diallo).

It's something I've been watching and will continue to monitor. Luka is definitely getting more comfortable asserting himself (as he should), and that will irk A LOT of players (and fans).
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

COAg15 said:

Well, ya I'm not saying Luka started it (I only saw the brief clip that showed the swat and the shove). But I've watched every other pre-season game and in each one, Luka got into it with another player.

I talked about this with a buddy. We all know that Luka is a bit of a foul-hunter. He'll seek contact out (similar to Harden but not as egregious) in attempts to draw a whistle. But when that whistle doesn't come OR, even worse, when the whistle actually goes against Luka (offensive foul), he absolutely loses his ***** Every time. It's not a big deal, almost every player complains to the ref, but Luka will make it a bit of a show.

Which again, is fine. But what he does that a guy like Harden doesn't, is that he'll eyeball the defending player. And that's where he gets in trouble. He can't foul hunt, complain to the ref, AND eyeball the other playerit's only a matter of time before a confrontation will break out (as it did against the Clippers, Detroit, and nearly OKC's Diallo).

It's something I've been watching and will continue to monitor. Luka is definitely getting more comfortable asserting himself (as he should), and that will irk A LOT of players (and fans).

I think we mentioned it last season, but Luka's definitely going to be that player that opposing fans and players hate. We really haven't had a franchise player like that before. If he's aware of how he side-eyes other players on the court and then expects to get into a few tiffs now and again, I'm ok with it. He's clearly holding his own on the court
PatAg
AG
Why is any of this a problem? You don't want your star player to be passive. If someone tries to punch him they're gone.
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

Why is any of this a problem? You don't want your star player to be passive. If someone tries to punch him they're gone.
False equivalency. Voicing concern about Luka's temperament when fouls don't go his way =/= "I wish he were more passive."

And I'm not worried about a punch...im worried about a cheap shot that leads to injury. Something like what Jaylen Brown did early last year where he set that BS screen by dipping his shoulder into an unaware luka and knocked him to the ground which resulted in an elbow injury (which lingered for weeks).
PatAg
AG
Players will do that no matter what, he is our best player. The type of person that makes a dirty play, does it with no external motivation needed.
Something I did agree with, after reading your statement again, was that he does need to learn how to channel that fire. It's one thing for someone like Mann to get T'ed up in a dumb manner, or tossed out of the game, but we can't afford for that to happen with Luka. I'd rather he use a technical on a hard foul to stop a layup, or arguing his case with a referee if he feels he isnt getting calls.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Tons of seats still available. Hopefully it will end up being a good crowd tonight.
Saint Pablo
I'm going with a couple of buddies, looking forward to it!
M.C. Swag
AG
I'll be there!
True Anomaly
AG
Will be there in our usual spot
Danny Vermin
This is going to be a very fun team to watch. Lots of secondary scoring with Curry, Barea and Jackson among the others.
MW03
AG
Yeah, going to be a lot of fun. Still weird without Dirk, though.
Danny Vermin
Super strange. I was still in my 20s when he started now I'm almost 50.
True Anomaly
AG
******* I ****ing love Luka
PatAg
AG
THE DALLAS MAVERICKS, ARE WINNING THE SUPER BOWL
mavsfan4ever
AG
Championship
hph6203
AG
Porzingis seemed pretty happy about playing next to Luka after the game, Mavs just need to find that third guy.
jeffdjohnson
jeffdjohnson
hph6203
AG
Wish I could find a video that shows the scramble for the ball before the oop dunk. Makes it an even better finish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.