***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,521 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
ghostofthebanned
How long do you want to ignore this user?
count me as another who has ZERO desire for Iggy. I don't understand our interest there. I see him as a less hungry Vince Carter. Vince was only good on our squad because he still wanted to prove himself. I don't see Iggy doing that on a non-contender.
Iowaggie
AG
rsf0626 said:

Current offer is Courtney Lee and 2nd rounder for Iggy....nba twitter is saying no chance Memphis agrees to it

I think that if this truly is an offer, it's workable.

If Memphis is going to buy out a vet and just go with youth, why not buy out the guy making $13 mm, instead of $17 mm, especially if there is a draft pick involved.

If you look through all the potential landing spots for Iggy, there aren't a lot of teams that have a guy or guys they are willing to give up AND have contracts that match up and are mostly expiring.

The value of Iggy is down the line as I don't see great matchups for some of these WC playoff teams (Portland) for covering the LA SF position guys. If those teams think they have a chance, maybe they deal for him by trade deadline.

However, I agree that he could be a Derek Fisher type problem on a non-playoff team.
Grapesoda2525
Iowaggie said:

rsf0626 said:

Current offer is Courtney Lee and 2nd rounder for Iggy....nba twitter is saying no chance Memphis agrees to it

If Memphis is going to buy out a vet and just go with youth, why not buy out the guy making $13 mm, instead of $17 mm, especially if there is a draft pick involved.

If you look through all the potential landing spots for Iggy, there aren't a lot of teams that have a guy or guys they are willing to give up AND have contracts that match up and are mostly expiring.

The value of Iggy is down the line as I don't see great matchups for some of these WC playoff teams (Portland) for covering the LA SF position guys. If those teams think they have a chance, maybe they deal for him by trade deadline.

However, I agree that he could be a Derek Fisher type problem on a non-playoff team.
I guess the question becomes would the guy have the maturity and the professionalism to hold out until the trade deadline?

I'm skeptical about most of these prima donna ball players from Cali.
True Anomaly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Iowaggie said:

rsf0626 said:

I guess the question becomes would the guy have the maturity and the professionalism to hold out until the trade deadline?

What specifically about Iguodala would pinpoint him being a spoiled brat prima donna? I may also agree that the Mavs money is better spent elsewhere....but what leads to this conclusion you've made?
M.C. Swag
AG
I was thinking the exact same thing. Weird hate for Iggy.
chris1515
AG
I'd love to take on Iggy right now. Mostly as a potential trade asset near the deadline. Playoff proven veteran...some team might have a need for someone like that.
Grapesoda2525
True Anomaly said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Iowaggie said:

rsf0626 said:

What specifically about Iguodala would pinpoint him being a spoiled brat prima donna? I may also agree that the Mavs money is better spent elsewhere....but what leads to this conclusion you've made?
He's been to the last 5 nba finals and the warriors are probably the most stuck up / obnoxious team the nba has seen in quite awhile.

I just don't see him having a good attitude about being on a mediocre team anymore. He's used to competing for championships. You just know he wants to end up in LA somehow.
Seven Costanza
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Weird hate for Iggy.
Same here. I don't know him one way or the other, but I don't know of any history of him being a prima donna or a jerk. I doubt he would be interested in playing for a non-contender at this point in his career, though. 36, 3 rings, 1 Finals MVP, and $130M in career earnings usually doesn't point to someone wanting to play on a middling team unless they have some special connection to the city. I can't decide if Vince Carter continuing to play is really admirable or just sad.
PatAg
AG
my memory tells me he wasnt playing hard at the end in Philly, and then immediately started playing at an all-star level again at Golden State.
Seven Costanza
AG
Not saying you're wrong, but his final season with Philly was the one year that he made an All-Star team. Then he spent a year in Denver, where they won 57 games (which is a little shocking given that he was probably the best player on that team).
M.C. Swag
AG
The westbrook trade to Houston still leaves the door open for dallas to get involved in yet ANOTHER potential 3 way trade. Reports are circulating that OKC is shopping Paul and may already have a deal lined up with Miami if he agrees to it.

I'm not saying i want it to happen, but that failed Olynk trade is still on the table for the Mavs as he perfectly fits into our TPE.

Guess we'll see.
rsf0626
Wonder if Miami is willing to offload Goran Dragic now in a 3 way for Chris Paul. The mavs would have to probably have to do something with courtney lee to make that happen
M.C. Swag
AG
rsf0626 said:

Wonder if Miami is willing to offload Goran Dragic now in a 3 way for Chris Paul. The mavs would have to probably have to do something with courtney lee to make that happen

Yea, someone would have to take Lee's contract for that to happen. Lol seems like his $12m (or whatever it is) is the most untradeable contract.
West Texan
AG

As a Spurs fan, I think really highly of Rick Carlisle and this just confirms that for me.
M.C. Swag
AG
Rick is a stubborn ass dude who can really ruffle some feathers, but there's no denying his coaching acumen. The 2011 title run was a master class of coaching adjustments. I'll never forget when we annihilated the Lakers. We couldn't match their size (Odom, Gasol, & Bynum) so we made it rain from 3 on what would be considered 'modern' NBA offense. Peja was Rick's golden bullet. He played him precisely 1 game in that entire playoff run. Then he unleashed small ball on the Heatles who didn't know how to react to 3 guards on the court.

Carlisle would prolly be considered the best Xs & Os coach in the league if Pop wasn't still hanging around.
gomerschlep
AG
hph6203
AG
Cuban leaked to MacMahon that Cuban was fined for leaking information about a board meeting so that Cuban could criticize the league about inconsistencies in fines dolled out by the league for leaking internal information.
Saint Pablo
jeffdjohnson
Saint Pablo said:

I follow the Mavs pretty closely but I'm not really sure what to expect from them next season. I think they might be the most difficult team in the league to project.

First question is what kind of improvements will we see from Luka? Many players take a step forward in their second year. He projects as a good 3 point shooter. Does he get to 34%/35%/36% next year? That doesn't seem like a stretch to me. His turnovers were starting to drop at the end of last season as well, I expect that trend to continue. He could be a top 15 guy in the league as quickly as next year if his development continues. It seems more probable than not that he gets there, although he could still stagnate and remain a top 50 guy.

Second is about KP. Does he stay healthy and out of legal trouble? Does he come back at the all star level he was playing at during his last year? KP is another guy who could be a top 15-25 guy in the league next year. How are teams going to stop a KP/Luka pick and roll with someone like Seth Curry spacing the floor? Put a couple of defenders around them and the upside is pretty insane. It seems more likely than not that KP comes back as a high level but I wouldn't know how to project his injury/legal risk.
Saint Pablo
Agree. I really don't know what to expect, but it is in the hands of Luka and KP...legal issues seem like BS to me, but health is a legitimate concern. I think Luka will eventually develop into a top 5 type of guy, but am curious to see how long his progression takes...I'd bet he is close to top 15-20 in the next couple of seasons.
hph6203
AG
ACL tears are less likely to re-tear than an ACL that has never been torn. That isn't always the case, but it's the trend. The players that have them in their careers early typically do better post-surgery than later in their careers (duh).

I wouldn't worry about the knee issues much, it's more just general big guy health concerns to worry about.
M.C. Swag
AG
Fantastic article from Bob Sturm about the GOAT.

Some excerpts...
Regarding the Mavs history pre-Dirk era:
Quote:

When Dirk Nowitzki played his first game in the NBA, the Dallas Mavericks were in the running for the NBA's worst franchise. The Mavericks broke .500 just six times in their first 18 professional seasons, won 45 games only three times and cracked 50 wins in a season just twice. There were a couple of fun years in the 80's, but success clearly was not sustainable. The first two decades of the NBA in Dallas were pretty unremarkable.

The franchise had played nearly 1500 regular-season games yet had won fewer than 600 of them. The team's all-time winning percentage was under .400. This is the equivalent of a 32-50 season in every single year of existence. The postseason featured four series wins in two decades and a single series victory outside of the opening round (in the second round over Denver in 1988).

In 18 seasons before Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavericks were, on average, 32-50. In the first 18 years of his career, that number transformed to 52-30. The sports world increasingly relies on "With Or Without You" stats (WOWY) and this one is pretty clear. With him, the Mavericks were always in the mix. Without him, they seldom were. He carried them. In fact, he built them and then carried them. Find me another athlete in sports who was able to transform a franchise to that extent and for that amount of time. This is what separates him from the others on Mount DFW. It wasn't necessarily about personal achievements, although he can do that all day if you wish. It is about finding a figure who can prop up a completely doomed organization. Postseason play is a perpetual reality with him and barely a fantasy without him. No disrespect to the Cowboys on this list, but with the number of legends that franchise has produced, we could argue that the team's history would still be pretty great even with the subtraction of any one of them.

Regarding the 2011 run:
Quote:

Let's discuss the big one. Again, it was book-worthy and the details were too many to write in a short-form format. But the Mavericks' title win was unthinkable and the true top of the mountain for a franchise that could never ponder such a thing. Furthermore, it came against a Western Conference road that required them to navigate the defending two-time champion Los Angeles Lakers with Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant (keeping Jackson from his fourth different three-peat), then an upstart Oklahoma City Thunder squad with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden and, of course, the final showdown with the self-appointed Three Kings in Miami.

I don't want to get lost in the "who they beat" rabbit hole every single time this topic comes up, but it is difficult to resist. I must admit beating that Miami team for a title after the 2006 Finals went like they did the slander Dirk had to endure and then the rebuild like a Hollywood script to run into them again with Dwyane Wade's new friend LeBron makes it even better. It just does.

On top of that, of course, was Dirk's illness in Game 4 and the enduring memory of the bullies on the other side mocking him behind his back. That was how it went for much of Dirk's career. Mocked because he was from Germany. Mocked because he was another European model trying to figure out the NBA. Mocked because he was soft. Now, he was mocked because he was coughing. He still wasn't in the NBA's Cool Club; that much was obvious.

There is something poetic about getting one over on the bullies. There is something perfect about beating the team that beat you five years earlier and finally making things right. That whole series was like a referendum on team basketball and whether a team without a group of superstars could beat one with a group of superstars by outlasting them in a duel of will and skill. The Mavericks in 2011 were a wonder.
Quote:

But Dirk did what he always would do down the stretch of Game 4 when the Mavericks needed him most. He was awesome through adversity on this night, the same night Lebron James scored all of eight points in his personal battle with Jason Terry. He scored 10 of his 21 in the fourth quarter, and one of the most critical moments would happen about eight seconds after this photo was snapped. This moment could determine his title dream either way. He would spin for yet another drive. In Game 2, it was with the left hand. In Game 4, it was a finish with his right hand.

This was the moment it became clear the Mavs were not going to go quietly into the night. They lost and then answered in Miami. They then lost and answered again in Dallas. Every time they were punched, they punched back harder. It was now 2-2, and the series was turning because Dallas was growing in confidence and tactics, while the newly formed Heat saw far more questions than answers. Their frustration and doubt were the only things growing.

Five days later, after Dirk and Jet and the rest of the talented cast took turns making key plays in Games 5 and 6, the Mavericks would hoist the trophy and Nowitzki would finish his journey to the top. Basketball immortality was his. The fairy tale was complete. Not only did he make it to the Finals, but he did it as the clear best player on a team with many complementary parts. Then, during that entire two-month title run, he played his best basketball and was the hero over and over again. This was the run that elevated him into an all-new level of excellence among his peers. He was treated differently and granted the respect he deserved across the basketball universe almost instantly. He finally earned what he was not given.
MW03
AG
PatAg
AG
hph6203
AG
Hard pass on bottom right, rest are alright. Top right and bottom left are the better of the three.
True Anomaly
AG
I actually really like Conrad's black jersey- it stands out to me like the Bank of America building does at night in the skyline (the green one). However, I have been and always will be a fan of Skyler's work
PatAg
AG
PooDoo
AG
Can't remember if this has been posted but.... Very excited to see them on the court together.
PooDoo
AG
hph6203
AG
Monta still trying to come back?
Seven Costanza
AG
Not that it matters, but Dirk may wind up being in the 6th all-time scoring spot for quite some time. His next closest competition with a realistic shot is Kevin Durant, who is 8,620 points behind. Durant will be 32, coming back from an achilles injury, and needing 4.5 seasons of high level scoring to get there. I have a hard time seeing him score 25 ppg at age 36 after that injury, but he may be able to slowly get there as a spot up shooter that plays until he's 40.

Russell Westbrook is 12,701 points behind and turning 31 in a couple of months. He would need almost 7 seasons of his current pace to get there. He seems like the type that won't be effective into his mid-30s, though, since he relies so much of his athleticism.

Harden is 12,933 points behind and just turned 30. At roughly 2400 points per season (kind of splitting the difference between his last few seasons), it would take 5.5 seasons to get there.

Beyond that, there really isn't anyone on the horizon.
PooDoo
AG
Battered.Ag
AG

https://images.app.goo.gl/RpZeshdNYuEP2nhB6

Y'all seen this? Apparently, it's very real... so awesome
Seven Costanza
AG
Donald Sloan is out there.

hph6203
AG
battered.ag said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/RpZeshdNYuEP2nhB6

Y'all seen this? Apparently, it's very real... so awesome

This is the best sports tribute I've ever seen if it's real.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.