***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,529 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea I know a lot of people love him, so I'm probably in the minority. Don't get me wrong, I think he's very good at his job and very professional, almost too good if that makes any sense. I think he did great when he called the World Cup.

But I guess I think he's better at national type of broadcasts than local. He's too buttoned up/professional for my taste for a local broadcast. For my local broadcaster, I'd like a little more personality and a little less professionalism. When I listen to some other teams' booths on NBA League pass, they seem to not be as corporate/buttoned up.

Anyone who can carry D Harp on a broadcast is probably very talented, lol.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea I know a lot of people love him, so I'm probably in the minority. Don't get me wrong, I think he's very good at his job and very professional, almost too good if that makes any sense. I think he did great when he called the World Cup.

But I guess I think he's better at national type of broadcasts than local. He's too buttoned up/professional for my taste for a local broadcast. For my local broadcaster, I'd like a little more personality and a little less professionalism. When I listen to some other teams' booths on NBA League pass, they seem to not be as corporate/buttoned up.

On this point we can definitely agree, hahaha
The Shank Ag
True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

On this point we can definitely agree, hahaha
Skin helps a little with that as well.
M.C. Swag
AG
Skin needs to stop with the "bucket!" before a Mavs 3pt attempt. It just grates me everytime the ball bricks out.
The Shank Ag
M.C. Swag said:

Skin needs to stop with the "bucket!" before a Mavs 3pt attempt. It just grates me every time the ball bricks out.
I'm that guy in my pickup games when I release one pure.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Mavs have nothing to be ashamed of. Just an absolute clownshow by the zebras. On to game 2.
This. I came away happy with how they played given the barriers that were thrown their way. You can't be mad at Luka coming ready to play and setting a record in his very first NBA playoff game. And he did it attacking the basket- there was a drive late he took it right to Kawhi and still made it look easy
The Shank Ag
Luka really reminds me of a kid that was a freshman when I was a senior. He was dominating the freshman ranks and moved to JV for the majority of district. He was somewhat tall for a freshman (Probably 6'1). Wasn't overly fast. Wasn't the most pure shooter. Didn't scream athleticism. They had him playing as an oversized guard (in comparison to the other guards on the team). But when he made a move towards the basket he was in complete balance, complete control, and seemed to have a knack at knowing what was about to happen. Would pump fake and get a guy in the air, or let a guy fly by for an easy lay in, or stop and pull up from 5 ft. He was putting in 20+ a game and if you watched him in warm ups you would think he was probably a bench player.

I feel Luka is a lot the same way. Looking at him, you would never guess he's doing what he does. He's fast by normal people standards but not NBA standards. His handles look wild. He throws up an air ball short at least once a game. He's not the tallest. But he just has such a high basketball IQ and a sixth sense of where people are going to be a second before they are there. Mix that in with good finishing skills and you have the enigma that is Luka Magic.
jeffdjohnson
I think the Clippers will win the championship but that didn't make it any less frustrating to watch Game 1. But if the Mavs keep up this level of competitiveness and shot-making then you can't fault the effort. Frankly, I didn't think they looked that far off. Which de facto implies that they aren't that far off from being legit title threats. We've been harping on it all year but we need some of those bigger wing defenders between Luka and Porzingis. In the end, I just thought the Clippers were just more physical and I can't figure out what can turn that around this year. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more MKG even though those 3 point shots were a fluke.
hph6203
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

By letter of the rule both of those instances should have been technicals, but in a playoff game they should have let at the very least the frustration after the block go. And given the softness of that tech they should have avoided ejecting him for defending Luka.

That said your take on Followill is so far off. I don't think he's too buttoned up and if you watch other broadcast teams from around the NBA you'd realize how much better he is than the majority of the guys in the league. There is truly some bad local broadcast teams out there. Some are like Derek Harper, Brad Davis and Bob Ortegel all on the same broadcast team.
chris1515
AG
Followill is great. I think we're lucky to have him.

I'm hoping, and I know it's a longshot, that the Mav's performances and the Bucks' struggles could maybe lead to Giannis deciding it would be really fun to play with Luka and KP.
fightinags2013
AG
I think followill is great, especially compared to some of the National guys like Breen and Marv Albert (although I don't mind either of them).

That said... Harper is almost unbearable. I just can't fathom how anyone evaluating him thought he would be good at that job. He has so many Harper-isms that drive me nuts.

"He's good as a basketball player" oh. Thank you Harp, that's very clarifying.
"Beg your pardon" at least 20 times a game.
"I don't think there is any question" at least 10 times a game.

Last year, I attended a Season ticket holder dinner at the new practice facility. It was fun to check the place out. Rolando Blackman was the "guest speaker." Man. It. Was. Brutal. It was like he thought he was giving a pep talk to a middle school basketball team. I genuinely wondered if he was on something. Extra funny part, My wife was trying to be all supportive, and about halfway through his 30+ minute rant, I text her "wtf is happening." She was so thankful I didn't think he was awesome. She had no idea he was Maverick royalty.
Phat32
AG
Followill is a little ***** for not acknowledging what everyone and their dog saw. Which was dog**** officiating.

dave94
AG
yukmonkey said:

Followill is a little ***** for not acknowledging what everyone and their dog saw. Which was dog**** officiating.

I know all the Ticket guys and fans love him, but I was screaming at my phone app when he kept defending that sh*t. Total BS toe-the-company line weakness.

I actually agree with some here that he's a little off putting with his smarminess. I generally skip his segments on the Hardline because they all fawn over him so much.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

It was fun listening to the postgame on the ticket last night. All 3 guys were saying exactly what we were all feeling. Demaris said that it was a top 3 worst officiated Mavs game he's seen in 20 years (after the wade games) and said he wasn't trying to be hyperbolic. And then they brought on followill and he backed the refs over and over. It was so clear that he was just toeing the corporate line. I get that it's smart for him to do that for his job security, but why go onto a post game show if that's going to be your position on everything? And his condescending tone that he always has made it even worse.

It was fun to listen to the other guys try not to tear him to shreds bc you know they wanted to lol.
Followill is anything but condescending.
Agreed. What Followill was doing was explaining what the rule is and how they (the commentators) have been told over the years how it's going to be called. Saying he's defending the refs is saying he agrees with the refs, and I don't think he does. Followill does an amazing job of staying as professional as possible, but if you read between the lines of how he words things he's just as frustrated at them. Case in point- even during the telecast Followill mentioned how both Dirk and LeBron were sharing their thoughts on the game- that's Mark telling you as professional as possible how he actually feels, because both Dirk and LeBron were directly calling out how bull**** all that was

[url=https://twitter.com/swish41/status/1295552412116123648?s=21][/url]

On the post game, Followill was agreeing with the refs. He said multiple times that both were the correct calls. I get how someone can have that opinion by going by the letter of the law, so it's not a big deal. The problem is that the refs never call actions like those techs with any consistency. Draymond could "punch the air" multiple times and never get called for it. Followill was acting like that it's just a black and white rule, but the way the refs choose to ignore it most of the time means it's not a black and white rule. The other guys had some good points.

I agree that he may actually disagree with the calls, but he's toeing the corporate line and so he says that he agrees with the calls. He even talked about how the rest of the game was officiated pretty fairly, which I disagree with. Again, I'd be doing the same thing if I was in Followill's position. I don't blame him. But he's clearly toeing the corporate line. But it made for good radio having guys on separate sides of the discussion.

I'm not a big Followill fan (just find him pretty vanilla and boring for a local commentator) and find him a little condescending when talking about basketball on the radio (not on TV)
. Jake and Demaris typically know more than he does when it comes to analytics, the draft, etc, and when they have him on their draft show or any other special show they make good points and Followill will disagree and make points that aren't correct. I don't think he's intending to be condescending, but that's how it sounds sometimes when he disagrees with someone.

But that's just like...my opinion, man.
You are the first person I have ever seen have this opinion. Keep it to yourself going forward
awrollins
Ugh......
The Shank Ag
awrollins said:

Ugh......

Hasn't he been on the injury report all bubble long for that?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Multiple people in this thread think the same thing. But enough of the thread derail. ITS GAMEDAY.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Man I don't know what he could be questionable with unless he agitated something in practice. Will be a big downer if he's not 100%

Edit: apparently it's right knee soreness
EastSideAg2002
I thought previously he had been listed the last few times as heel soreness so this may be a new development.
The Shank Ag
EastSideAg2002 said:

I thought previously he had been listed the last few times as heel soreness so this may be a new development.
Or Rick is playing the Bellechik/Popavich mind games with the injury list.
awrollins
KP has jokes:

This also leads me to believe that he's fine
EconAg18
AG
awrollins said:

KP has jokes:

This also leads me to believe that he's fine

Has to be careful, refs might get upset and give him two technicals before the game even starts for hurting their feelings
Saint Pablo
He's clearly threatening to punch him there. Might have to suspend him for the rest of the playoffs.
gigem1223
Nice start
TempleAg97
AG
Fantastic start!
Danny Phantom
Trey Burke!
gigem1223
This continuation foul bs is so inconsistent
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Officiating is so inconsistent.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Boban is on fire tonight.
Danny Phantom
10 pts, 8 reb, 7 minutes
gigem1223
Kleber needs to step it up
awrollins
The Mavs have shot 4 free throws
The Clippers have shot 19

Anybody else feel the calling has been pretty one sided tonight
gigem1223
Mavs vs refs game 2
NukeAg10
AG
Lots of ticky tack bull**** on the Mavs, and the Clippers have traveled quite a few times while the Mavs have been called for it at least twice.
awrollins
gigem1223 said:

Kleber needs to step it up

Yeah almost all of his shots haven't even been close to falling, including game 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.