***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,795 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Shooting 61% after 3 quarters on 2 pt FG.
Shooting 15% after 3 quarters on 3 pt FG.

So let's shoot some shots closer to the rim.
This is what frustrates me- the whole "live by the 3, die by the 3" mentality. When the 3 isn't falling, their switch to driving in and getting closer buckets seems to take longer than we'd like

But hey, winning is the best deodorant
hph6203
AG
Not really the way it's intended to work, it's a combination of ball movement/drives/oops/layup and dunk attempts that get the defense out of position and potentially leave you with an open look for three. Shooting bad from three on one shot isn't a reason to ditch it all together even if one bad shot comes after a previous bad shot.

What you don't want is the shots like Porzingis threw up a couple of times and Hardaway is prone to at times where it's early in the shot clock, you're guarded and you just jack up a 3 pointer. That's lazy and stupid basketball.
kill0509
AG
Just now got to slow down long enough to finally watch the highlights from tonight, this team is fun!!

This was truly a team effort and my word, those put back dunks tonight!! DFS and his dunk especially was just so wrong and yet so right!!
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavericks bench has a better plus-minus than any other bench in 25 years.

Since 1996 (as far back as NBA.com has the stats), the 2015-16 Spurs' bench had the best plus-minus over a full season at +3.9.

It's still early, but through 20 games the Mavs' bench is averaging +6.2.

That's coaching folks. Keep you Carlisle slander and good day.
South Platte
Grapesoda2525 said:

South Platte said:

M.C. Swag said:

The Mavs are clubbing people.

We've already got 8 road wins!!! We only had 9 all of last year!

Enjoy this **** boys. We got a fun ass squad.
Definitely been a fun start to the season. Even more fun to watch the changing of the guard for Texas NBA teams. It's only been 3 seasons but it seems like a lifetime ago when we were last in the playoffs.
This year is the first season that I've really kept up with the NBA league wide since 2014 or so. The warriors briefly killed my enthusiasm for the nba. I hated seeing Draymond green yelling at the refs every other trip down the floor, the refs being scared to eject him, and green winning titles.

It truly was an awful time to follow the NBA. I'm glad the warriors never got a 3 peat. I felt like they didn't deserve one after signing Durant. Durant going to GSW killed the competitive balance of the league and it was unwatchable, unless you lived on the west coast I guess.
I liked seeing a small market team dominate the NBA. They should have won 5 titles in a row. And it was nice seeing these stupid Rockets fans pull their hair out and cry about losing to the Warriors. They were so much fun to watch when healthy.
M.C. Swag
AG
I will say that it brings me a small joy to know that the best team the Rockets have assembled in over a decade...coincided with the best team EVER assembled.

Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

I will say that it brings me a small joy to know that the best team the Rockets have assembled in over a decade...coincided with the best team EVER assembled.

I disagree with this.

Both the lakers and bulls actually did pull off 3 peats. I think both teams in a hypothetical playoff series would be very physical with golden state and it would work. They would best GSW finesse with toughness and grit.

Also Tim Duncan and his spurs were great for so long.

I just don't think the warriors were better than the teams above. The team already broke up because of the massive egos on their squad.

In addition, the warriors have to be the most fortunate team I've ever seen. I know injuries are a big part of the game, but it seemed like every single time a team was going to challenge them or take them out, they got hit with the injury bug. In the warriors first title of that run, every single opponent had major injuries. Chris Paul got hurt when it looked like the rockets were going to beat the warriors in the playoffs, then the warriors recovered and won.

It looked like the spurs were going to give GSW a series, then Kawhi Leonard went down. Like I said, I know you can't fault a team for being lucky, but I don't ever recall any other team in sports getting so many fortunate breaks with drawing opponents who were good matchups for them and facing opponents who were weakened by injuries.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol ok, wasn't trying to have that convo. It makes me happy that the Rockets team of the past 4-5 years were eclipsed by that of the Warriors. That's all i meant.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol ok, wasn't trying to have that convo. It makes me happy that the Rockets team of the past 4-5 years were eclipsed by that of the Warriors. That's all i meant.
They get a taste of what we had to deal with in the late 90s and 2000s. If not for the Spurs, WE would have been the winningest team of the decade.
True Anomaly
AG
We were still so fortunate to have squeezed out a championship in between the Spurs dynasty and the rise of the LeBron-lead Heat and then the Warriors
Grapesoda2525
True Anomaly said:

We were still so fortunate to have squeezed out a championship in between the Spurs dynasty and the rise of the LeBron-lead Heat and then the Warriors
If I remember correctly, the only good fortune that year was Zach Randolph and his 8 seeded buddies pulled off a "we believe" style upset on the spurs who were the #1 seed. The mavs didn't have to face them that year. They still had to go through the lakers who were going for a 3 peat, the thunder children ( Westbrook, harden, and Durant were barely old enough to drink), and Lebrons first year on the heat.

Still was a very tough path.....

Actually I think the spurs were riddled by injuries that year. It was still nice that we didn't have to face them tho.
South Platte
True Anomaly said:

Actually we squeezed out 2 titles, but I get what you are saying.
Carlo4
AG
South Platte said:

True Anomaly said:

Actually we squeezed out 2 titles, but I get what you are saying.
fightinags2013
AG
One of the Mavs biggest rotation pieces (Caron Butler) went down that season as well. That title is still just amazing.

Bill Simmons Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast had me thinking about it recently in the Dirk episode.
2wealfth Man
AG
How in the world did the Mavs lose TWICE to the Knicks?
hph6203
AG
Wonder what it would take to get Kevin Love. His contract is huge, and not many teams have the contracts and disposable assets near contention to match that salary. Teams either have picks to offer, but don't have the contracts, or the contracts, but not the picks.
Phat32
AG
Saw Seth Curry at Starbucks. Good dude.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavs moved up to the 2 seed after yesterdays games!
True Anomaly
AG
Danny Vermin
Another ass whipping in progress.
hph6203
AG
What the hell happened? I switched to watch the end of OU-Baylor and they went from up 12 at half to this? Just NO sucking?
kill0509
AG
And you haven't seen Luka jack up terrible shots as a ball hog, forcing bad passes to try and fill up the assist column, or ripping rebounds away from his own teammates to get these numbers! Team ball is a beautiful thing to watch!

Buckle up boys, we're in for a fun ride!!
Seven Costanza
AG
It's crazy how many absolute blowouts the Mavs have had so far this season.
Proposition Joe
I mean... it's still relatively early but...

holy *****.. we're the 2 seed in the West right now... and against the 1 seed we got hosed at their house and won by double-digits at our house.
True Anomaly
AG
hph6203 said:

What the hell happened? I switched to watch the end of OU-Baylor and they went from up 12 at half to this? Just NO sucking?

Pels shot horrible for sure, but I think the Mavs have figured out some things on the defensive end as well
hph6203
AG
We'll know everything we need to know about this team by New Years. Schedule is about to get quite a bit tougher between now and then with 2 more relative softies coming up. SAC had to go to overtime yesterday, so being on a back to back with limited minutes may not be quite as impactful as that and travel.
True Anomaly
AG
94chem
Mavs close game against NOP on 94-42 run.
Danny Vermin
Tough start as the sad sac kings are shooting well but i expect to come back and win.
hph6203
AG
Didn't get to watch, but looks like the bench didn't get it done.
MW03
AG
Hell of a fight. And Luka broke Jordan's record.
M.C. Swag
AG
Tough game. Loved the team fought back.
2wealfth Man
AG
Sac beat rockets last night. They are a streaky team but appear to be on one those rolls right now.
Grapesoda2525
2wealfth Man said:

Sac beat rockets last night. They are a streaky team but appear to be on one those rolls right now.
Doubt Sacramento would've beaten us if we weren't on our 4th game in 6 days. That first quarter was totally flat.
Seven Costanza
AG
Ryen Russillo's podcast had a long discussion this week about the steep decline in ratings this season (>20% drop). Lots of theories as to why it has dropped so much in comparison to football (streaming, illegal streaming, player movement, "load management", unlikeable players, LeBron on the West Coast, Golden State being down, etc.)

I had no idea. Because of the Mavs' resurgence, this is the most regular season NBA I've watched in years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.