***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,530 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
EconAg18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rumor is Golden State is trying to package Klay and the #2 overall pick to trade for Giannis, but the Bucks want more. I think that would be a bad trade for the Warriors in my opinion
mavsfan4ever
AG
You think klay coming off an injury and the number two pick in an extremely weak draft is too much to give up for the MVP? I don't think the bucks would even consider that offer.

I think giannis will command even more than what New Orleans got for AD.
AgCAD00
For reference New Orleans got 3-1st rounders, a future All-Star (Ingram), a young starter (Ball), and a bench player for AD. That was good work by New Orleans.
EconAg18
AG
I think Giannis would be a horrible fit for what the Warriors want, and I think Klay will be fine coming back from injury. If I'm the Warriors I roll the dice on waiting for giannis to come available in FA, and use that #2 pick on someone like Wiseman or trade it to someone for more picks in a future draft that's much stronger.
M.C. Swag
AG
The BEST trade package the mavs can offer won't be enough but it'd start with:
  • KP
  • Maxi/Doe Doe
  • Brunson
  • ALL THE PICKS. (like literally all of them PLUS pick swaps for any we can't trade)
  • Whatever bad contracts the Bucks want to dump

It's still not enough. The only way we get Giannis is if another team trades for him like Toronto did for Kawhi and he walks at the end of the year and we sign him in FA. Otherwise, that's it. And that wont happen until summer 2021 so really no point in worrying about it right now.
MW03
AG
I really think he's going to stay in Milwaukee. I can't say why, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that wants to chase the life on the coast. Especially after they gave Middleton that contract. I just don't think they make that offer to Middleton without Giannis on board.

That being said, could you imagine Giannis with a proper PG? George Hill is not the player he was in Indiana. Bledsoe is an extremely solid defender, but not exactly a world class shot creator. And I'm not even necessarily talking about Doncic, though his pick and roll game with Luka would be unstoppable. Someone like Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, etc would make the Bucks with Middleton a #3 a stacked team.
True Anomaly
AG
Well, on the bright side, at least we're not the Rockets- can't ever figure out how to finally crest that wave of getting to the Finals, saddled with two huge bloated contracts for players who are about to exit their prime, and a coach on his way out the door
EconAg18
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
Luka will win a title before Harden.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Luka will win a title before Harden.
lol ok
EconAg18
AG
Harden is only winning a title if he leaves Houston and goes somewhere to be the 2nd option, like Paul George or AD with their respective Los Angeles teams. Still a great player, but it's just not going to happen in Houston for him unless they manage to go out and get Giannis or someone of similar caliber.
Phat32
AG
Harden has 5 good years left max. Luka has 15.
jeffdjohnson
EconAg18 said:

Giannis joining the Mavs would probably lead to at least 3 championships in a 5 year window. Having said that, I really hope the Mavs strategy doesn't involve waiting around for Giannis. They can be title contenders starting next season if they can just add a couple of veteran wings who can play defense to the roster. I think they were #1 in offense and #17 in defensive efficiency this season. The Mavs will have a top 3 offense for as long as Luka plays. History says that you need to pair that with a top 10 defense to be a title contender.

Unfortunately the Mavs don't have a whole lot of assets to play with right now. They could trade #18, #31, future 2025/2027 firsts and pick swaps. Also they have the full MLE (I think ~$10M) to play with. They might be able to flip Delon Wright and Justin Jackson's contracts (~$15M) with some picks for someone decent. Hopefully they can use the MLE for someone like Jae Crowder. They also might make a run at Derrick Jones Jr. who they tried to trade for last offseason. It isn't until next year that they would have cap space to play with.
EconAg18
AG
Agree with everything you said. We don't want to get left at the altar waiting for giannis. I'd actually like to see us go after Oladipo or Donovan Mitchell as well, but I think it would be hard to get either of them. Aside from them and Giannis, no one is really becoming available in the next couple years.
ramblin_ag02
AG
EconAg18 said:

Agree with everything you said. We don't want to get left at the altar waiting for giannis. I'd actually like to see us go after Oladipo or Donovan Mitchell as well, but I think it would be hard to get either of them. Aside from them and Giannis, no one is really becoming available in the next couple years.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

Seriously? Everyone could be a free agent in 2021. From Kwahi to Lebron to Giannis to Chris Paul to Andre Drummond to Kyle Lowry and on and on.

This offseason is going to be a wasteland. Everyone is going to take their player option with the COVID uncertainty. If things get back to near normal next summer, then the FA market in the NBA is going to be the biggest ever
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EconAg18
AG
Lol we are not landing any of those guys, either because they're likely to sign an extension, or because they wouldn't fit what we have and we aren't going to pursue them. Which is why I'll reiterate that the best guys available for us are Oladipo (if we can keep him from LA) or Spider (which we'd likely need to trade for imo)
MW03
AG
I was kind of hoping Jayson Tatum would flop in the bubble and make him available when he comes off his rookie deal. Instead, he's playing like a damn MVP.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Oladipo and Mitchell would both be pretty bad fits with Luka. I don't want a combo guard who doesn't shoot well from 3. Would mess up the spacing and kill Luka's effective drive and kick outs. They aren't as bad as Westbrook, but same theory for why he's an awful fit with harden.

Bradley Beal would be the dream scenario.
EconAg18
AG
Beal has been my dream pickup. I'm worried we're going to end up bargain shopping and take Hield instead
Phat32
AG
Remember you have to pay Luka a bajillion dollars soon
EconAg18
AG
We need to find ourselves a Tyler Herro type in the draft
BallerStaf2003
AG
MW03
AG
Jokic is the most underrated player in the NBA. And yes, I know he was all NBA last year. Still.
M.C. Swag
AG
Y'all...Beal and Hield JUST signed their new deals. We'd have to trade for both. And we definitely don't have the assets for Beal.

The mavs are sitting pretty and have a good financial situation. We don't need to blow it all this off season.
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

Y'all...Beal and Hield JUST signed their new deals. We'd have to trade for both. And we definitely don't have the assets for Beal.

The mavs are sitting pretty and have a good financial situation. We don't need to blow it all this off season.
I'm curious to see what they do with their draft picks.

Don't they have their first plus golden states 2nd rounder which is pretty much a 1st rounder as well?
EconAg18
AG
The rumored trade would be our first and Hardaway for Hield, which I'd argue is the bargain route and would rather us send multiple future picks to the Wizards to get Beal
mavsfan4ever
AG
Didn't realize that Beal signed a short extension, so he's not free after next season. But it looks like it was effectively only a one year extension. The last year is a player option, which he will likely decline unless he's injured. So he will be free after 2021-2022 season.

But I could see him demanding a trade before signing his next long term deal, and we don't have any assets to give them.
Saint Pablo
M.C. Swag
AG
2nd year player making All NBA is insane.

Had the season ended on 4/15 as scheduled (before the shutdown), Luka would have been the youngest First Team All NBA in history (now he's third behind Lebron and some random dude ive never heard of).
Guitarsoup
AG
Luka is headlining the Jordan Brand athletes.

True Anomaly
AG
There was a very recent social media post with a pic of Delonte West outside a corner off Central, which must've triggered this

jeffdjohnson
Anyone interested in the NBA draft? I was reading a few mock drafts and it seems like this isn't a terrible draft for role players. The Mavs pick at #18 is right on the edge of where some interesting players are. I am hoping that one of the mid round wing players drops. Saddiq Bey is an older, Villinova guy, seems like a Mavs type pick. Aaron Nesmith hit 52% from 3, another Mavs type pick. That is probably your best case.

If there is a run on wing players then there could be some interesting guard players available. RJ Hampton and Tyrese Maxey are high upside plays if they hit. Although that doesn't seem like a Mavs type move. I guess the most Mavs type move would be to trade the pick and for me to not ready anymore mock drafts.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.4230963.1627809005.1603217377-779017086.1516660244#mock
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-jumps-up-to-no-1-selection-by-the-timberwolves-in-first-two-round-mock/
M.C. Swag
AG
lol yea i just know that the Mavs treat late round draft picks like mcdonald's coupons, so it's hard to get excited for some players we likely won't keep.
hph6203
AG
Maurice Ager? Jared Cunningham? Bobo? Justin Anderson? These aren't names that make you dream of championship glory?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.