***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,525 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The youth movement thought process is a dumb one.

The formula for success in the NBA is typically 2+ stars, several good vets, and some good young players. You need a mixture of all 3 components.
hph6203
AG
Most teams don't have two all-star caliber players that are under the age of 24, effectively or really locked up for 4 years. The idea is to identify guys that are between the ages of 22 and 30 that can survive/improve during the 3-4 years of growth of your star potential players development.

Seth Curry fits in that.
Danny Green fits in that.
Demarcus Cousins, if he can keep his mouth shut, fits in that.

You buy a 32 year old today, by the time Luka is entering his prime he's 35+ and ready to retire. The Mavs don't want a top of the line player that requires the ball in his hands to be impactful, it's why Brogdon was a better option than Kemba.

Build the foundation, walls and windows right now with quality depth and then put the Ferrari in the driveway when this team is already playoff caliber. A 27 year old you sign today will be a "vet" by the last year of his contract and our best players will still be 27 years old or younger.

Dirk is gone. The years of trying to win NOW are over, we have time to build slow and the right way. This team was never going to jump to legitimate contender status in one off-season.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Danny green is 32
TheMasterplan
I love how into this FA session we fans are despite Dirk being gone - great to see the passion is still going to be there and everyone is on board.

I really hope KP returns to form and Luka improves even more. Probably will make an effort to watch more games even if the time zones suck.

I know everyone thinks Luka/KP are going to be like Dirk and stay forever but you just can't assume that. Gotta stay grounded.

hph6203
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Danny green is 32

He is, but what he's good at should last longer into his career relative to the price we'll have to pay for him than an Al Horford or (maybe) Kemba Walker. A fallen off Kemba is way more expensive than a fallen off Danny Green.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

Most teams don't have two all-star caliber players that are under the age of 24, effectively or really locked up for 4 years. The idea is to identify guys that are between the ages of 22 and 30 that can survive/improve during the 3-4 years of growth of your star potential players development.

Seth Curry fits in that.

You buy a 32 year old today, by the time Luka is entering his prime he's 35+ and ready to retire. The Mavs don't want a top of the line player that requires the ball in his hands to be impactful, it's why Brogdon was a better option than Kemba.

Build the foundation, walls and windows right now with quality depth and then put the Ferrari in the driveway when this team is already playoff caliber. A 27 year old you sign today will be a "vet" by the last year of his contract and our best players will still be 27 years old or younger.

Dirk is gone. The years of trying to win NOW are over, we have time to build slow and the right way. This team was never going to jump to legitimate contender status in one off-season.
Nobody here expects the mavs to compete for a title this year.

I think what everyone was hoping for and dare I say expecting is for Cuban and Donnie to get enough free agents to compete for a playoff spot and have a team capable of filling the arena most nights. The fan base's interest in the team has been lethargic and the arena was half full for most games last year. If the fans aren't engaged and the team can't win at least close to 50 games a year with luka and porzingis, those guys aren't going to want to stay.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

Seth Curry fits in that.

I think what everyone was hoping for and dare I say expecting is for Cuban and Donnie to get enough free agents to compete for a playoff spot and have a team capable of filling the arena most nights. The fan base's interest in the team has been lethargic and the arena was half full for most games last year. If the fans aren't engaged and the team can't win at least close to 50 games a year with luka and porzingis, those guys aren't going to want to stay.
I have season tickets and this is not true. Dirk+Luka had the stadium pretty packed most nights (with the exception of the obvious Tuesday night snoozers against teams like the Grizzlies or Knicks).

Excitment may have waned somewhat after the KP trade but that's understandable given it was a blatant 'white flag' on the playoffs. But before that and especially in the midst of that home stretch where we tied the record of consecutive home wins since '11, the place was bumping.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kemba is a great player, but definitely not the type of player you want to put around Luka. He is a pick and roll PG, so he works with the ball in his hands. As good as he is, I don't think you want to change the team to take the ball out of Luka's hands.

Brogdon or Beverly - guys that are kind of point guards, but really great defensive players that can hit threes and play a little point is what you want. Someone to run the second team, play great defense and knock down shots that Luka creates is what you want for this Mavs team.
M.C. Swag
AG
Who is talking about Kemba?
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Who is talking about Kemba?
He was talked about several times including once on this page.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

Seth Curry fits in that.

I have season tickets and this is not true. Dirk+Luka had the stadium pretty packed most nights (with the exception of the obvious Tuesday night snoozers against teams like the Grizzlies or Knicks).

Excitment may have waned somewhat after the KP trade but that's understandable given it was a blatant 'white flag' on the playoffs. But before that and especially in the midst of that home stretch where we tied the record of consecutive home wins since '11, the place was bumping.

Agree with this. The AAC had great atmosphere almost every game early in the year before the trade. It helped that we played really well at home and most games were very exciting. Obviously the atmosphere died down some after the JJ injury and after the trade because it was obvious playoffs were not a possibility at that point.
chris1515
AG
I wish the Mavs would make a move for Cousins.

If he's good, he might be GREAT.

And with the right deal, he could get flipped to a contender during the season that thinks he might be the missing piece for a playoff run.
ghostofthebanned
trying to figure out if it'd even be possible to get 3 of these 4, or if we can only afford 2 (I'm thinking just 2 is more realistic...not sure what DG will go for):

Danny Green, marcus morris, cousins, quinn cook
M.C. Swag
AG
ghostofthebanned said:

trying to figure out if it'd even be possible to get 3 of these 4, or if we can only afford 2 (I'm thinking just 2 is more realistic...not sure what DG will go for):

I'd guess that Green won't sign for anything less than $10m. Let's say he signs for $12m (talking in yr1 money, not total). That leaves us with $10m left.

We could still throw a decent contract at Morris and offer Cousins a vet min (the most i'd go for). I have no idea what the market is for Cook but unless we do something with Lee's contract, I don't see how we can get 4 but 3 is definitely doable.
2wealfth Man
AG
Still no middle physical presence/ rebounding on the team. Cauley-Stein signed with the Warriors. If Kawhi goes back to Toronto then this has been a disastrous free agency period for the front office. It hinges on what Green ultimately decides to do. I think Cousins is a shadow of his former self physically; he would be a big risk.
COAg15
AG
Disastrous? I'm not so sure. Disappointing, absolutely.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, disastrous would have been KP declining his extension + losing Maxi & DFS and the Mavs execute a panic trade for Deangelo Russell.

If they miss out on every FA other than Seth Curry, and lose $22m of cap space to nothing; that's the second worst case scenario.
Guitarsoup
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Still no middle physical presence/ rebounding on the team. Cauley-Stein signed with the Warriors. If Kawhi goes back to Toronto then this has been a disastrous free agency period for the front office. It hinges on what Green ultimately decides to do. I think Cousins is a shadow of his former self physically; he would be a big risk.
If Kawhi goes to Toronto, it has been a monumentally disastrous off-season for the Lakers. Everyone else they could have spent money on is gone, they traded away their entire team for space for Kawhi and they don't have control of their own draft picks until 2026.

I want to chip in for the under the table incentives for Kawhi to stay in the great white north.
COAg15
AG
Yes, if Kawhi stayed in Toronto (East) I would be extremely happy. Not only do the Lakers whiff, but it provides parity in the league
ghostofthebanned
it's sounding more and more like LAC is falling out....looks like LAL or Toronto, but who knows with the weirdo we know as Kawhi
Guitarsoup
AG
ghostofthebanned said:

it's sounding more and more like LAC is falling out....looks like LAL or Toronto, but who knows with the weirdo we know as Kawhi
I am sure Kawhi and LeBron had a deal in place months ago if not longer, just like LeBron and Wade did for MIami in 2010.
M.C. Swag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

ghostofthebanned said:

I'd guess that Green won't sign for anything less than $10m. Let's say he signs for $12m (talking in yr1 money, not total). That leaves us with $10m left.

We could still throw a decent contract at Morris and offer Cousins a vet min (the most i'd go for). I have no idea what the market is for Cook but unless we do something with Lee's contract, I don't see how we can get 4 but 3 is definitely doable.

Spot on with the $12m/yr. Now lets see who we can get with that extra $10m.
Agnzona
At some point the fallback-fallback position has to be sign the best available player regardless of position or fit. Then you either trade them mid season or have an expiring contract coming off the books in a year or two.
M.C. Swag
AG
Olsen
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Boban's deal is for 2yrs/$7m. This leaves about $6.5m assuming Green takes the rumored 3yr/$36m.
M.C. Swag
AG

Nevermind. Looks like this doesn't affect cap space at all.
ghostofthebanned
love that boban pick up...now get DG and one more...
Grapesoda2525
I heard the mavs are going after Marcus Morris.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dallas has 13 guys with guaranteed contracts right now plus two two-way players. While there is cap space, not a ton of roster space left.
jeffdjohnson
Seth Curry / Danny Green / Marcus Morris / Boban / Re-up KP / Re-up Maxi / Re-up DFS and keeping Lee as an expiring trade chip would be among the best possible offseason iterations that the Mavs could have come up with. The Mavs would have a salty team next year. Everything seems to be leveraged on weirdo Kawhi though.
mavsfan4ever
AG
COAg15 said:

Disastrous? I'm not so sure. Disappointing, absolutely.

How could it be more disastrous? Other than if porzingis signed elsewhere, which was never a worry, I'm not sure how it could be worse.

If you don't consider this a disaster, what would have to happen for you to consider it a disaster?

Was this the absolute worst case scenario? No. But it was pretty damn bad. Doesn't mean we aren't still in a decent spot. But we were going to be in a decent spot no matter what happened this summer (after we signed porzingis).

Edit: it's a disaster if we don't get green plus another solid player. If we get green plus Morris or someone else, then I'm happy.
jeffdjohnson
Grapesoda2525
Another way to gauge the offseason is if they bring back devin Harris or not. I'm hoping they can utilize the whole roster for a change. The mavs front office used to bring back both barea and Harris because they struck out everywhere else and those guys would say yes.

I saw that barea is back and that's cool, but having both of them doesn't make sense because they both get hurt all the time.
mavsfan4ever
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Seth Curry / Danny Green / Marcus Morris / Boban / Re-up KP / Re-up Maxi / Re-up DFS and keeping Lee as an expiring trade chip would be among the best possible offseason iterations that the Mavs could have come up with. The Mavs would have a salty team next year. Everything seems to be leveraged on weirdo Kawhi though.

I'd be very pleased with this. But if green goes with kawhi then I go from very pleased to dumpster fire off-season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.