***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

186,042 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Mavs '18-'19 season is over and with it, the illustrious career of the GOAT, Dirk Nowitzki. Even though the win/loss record wouldn't indicate it, last year was a huge step for this franchise. Drafting the best rookie since Oscar Robertson and acquiring a 2-legged unicorn was about as good of a stepping stone as any MFFL can hope for after losing a 21 season LEGEND like Dirk.

There'll be moments to look back and reflect but let's get this party started. We still have a second round draft pick to play with and the Mavs are gonna be big time buyers in FA.

Here's to many more baby goat and unicorn gifs and memes! This time next year we'll be posting about the WCF!
gomerschlep
AG
fightinags2013
AG
Beverly and Julius Randle are my realistic free agent targets.

Malcolm Brogdon will probably resign with Milwaukee, but he would be a great get.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm not a bucks fan (so not aware of their cap) but can they afford to re-sign Brogdon if they plan to keep Bledsoe and Middleton? And that's assuming they let Lopez and Mirotic walk.
https://twitter.com/yourboyalbert/status/327874976327819264
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bledsoe just got a new big deal so I'm assuming they plan on keeping him. Not sure if anyone would trade for him. I was surprised they gave him that deal at the time. I'm also not sure if they can keep both Brogdon and middleton. I've got a friend who thinks we will get brogdon. But if we get him, we will have to pay big because I'm pretty sure he's a RFA.
Grapesoda2525
LETS GO MAVS

M.C. Swag
AG

jeffdjohnson
fightinags2013 said:

Beverly and Julius Randle are my realistic free agent targets.

Malcolm Brogdon will probably resign with Milwaukee, but he would be a great get.

The Mavs have 30M in cap space. The problem is the players who are worth it (KD, Leonard) won't give them a look. I think it is possible that Kemba or Tobias Harris would give the Mavs a look for a max. Although, if they get offered the 5 year max from their current teams then it would be hard for them to turn it down. Not to mention there is risk for the Mavs in giving Kemba/Harris that much money. Harris would be like paying 30M for a better version of Barnes. Not bad but won't blow anyone away. Kemba would be fascinating but would also be 32 at the end of the deal, the Mavs wouldn't be buying the best of Walker. Plus he doesn't really fit their timeline.

Julius Randle would be interesting. Randle needs to play with someone who can defend the rim defensively and stretch the court offensively. Not many guys can do that, the Mavs happen to have one in KP. He also shot 34.4% from 3 last year on almost 3 attempts per game, so there is some potential there. He could probably be signed for 10M-14M per year. I hope the Mavs give him a look. I like Brogdon too but unless Milwaukee is run by cheap owners I think they would match most anything thrown his way. I think he is a nice 4th/5th option, very efficient on low volume, but I would be nervous to throw too much money at him in case you get stuck with an overpay.
chris1515
AG
Kemba and Tobias Harris don't get me all that excited for that level of salary slot.

I'm not that sure who all would be available AND interested, but I'm hoping there is something good out there.
hph6203
AG
If Powell does indeed opt out the Mavs will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 38-40 million in cap space and can stretch that to 46-48 million if they waive Courtney Lee. They could be addressing 2-3 starter spots if they decide to go all in this free agency period.

Not sure if they can work it under the cap, but:

PG: Beverly/Brunson/Barrea
SG: Doncic/Hardaway/Broekhoff
SF: T. Harris/J. Jackson
PF: Randle/Finney-Smith
C: Porzingis/Kleber/Mejri

(Additions: Tobias Harris, Julius Randle, Patrick Beverly)

Easily looks like a playoff team to me. I know bringing back Barrea isn't exactly a popular idea, but I imagine he'll come very cheap and Cuban is loyal to him.

Probably a pipe dream as it would require Harris to accept less than max (25?), Randle to accept in the 15 range and Beverly to accept in the 5-8 mil range.
Seven Costanza
AG
If you can't grab any of the main targets, a guy like Brook Lopez would be a nice veteran leader type for a couple of years to help transition into winning team. He can rim protect, shoot the 3, and seems like a nice guy. Probably no space for him if you're bringing back Powell and Maxi, though. And they're younger.
jeffdjohnson
hph6203 said:

If Powell does indeed opt out the Mavs will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 38-40 million in cap space and can stretch that to 46-48 million if they waive Courtney Lee. They could be addressing 2-3 starter spots if they decide to go all in this free agency period.

Not sure if they can work it under the cap, but:

PG: Beverly/Brunson/Barrea
SG: Doncic/Hardaway/Broekhoff
SF: T. Harris/J. Jackson
PF: Randle/Finney-Smith
C: Porzingis/Kleber/Mejri

(Additions: Tobias Harris, Julius Randle, Patrick Beverly)

Easily looks like a playoff team to me. I know bringing back Barrea isn't exactly a popular idea, but I imagine he'll come very cheap and Cuban is loyal to him.

Probably a pipe dream as it would require Harris to accept less than max (25?), Randle to accept in the 15 range and Beverly to accept in the 5-8 mil range.

That would be an excellent team but I don't really see a scenario where Powell isn't on the roster next year. The Mavs seem to really love Powell. I like him off the bench just fine but he is a 1 dimensional player, not worth 10M off the cap in my opinion. I would rather use his money to pay Randle.
rsf0626
Kemba walker making 3rd team all nba makes him eligible for the supermax with charlotte. Bad for the mavs if they want him, even worse for charlotte, because now they have to make a really tough decision on him.
M.C. Swag
AG
I think he just recently came out with a quote that said something to the effect of "money doesn't matter. Winning does." Something like that. The implication was that he obviously isn't willing to auto accept the deal basically.
chris1515
AG
Apparently ESPN+ has an article about the Mavs free agency plans and putting together a "big 3". I don't have access, but am curious what it says.

hph6203
AG
There's not much to it, basically just discusses the free agents they need to sign from their own team, the app room they'll have and that's it. Doesn't really discuss targets.
alvtimes
2019 draft???? I think I would like to see them go big with their 2nd round pick.... Moses Brown/Tacko Fall big. I dont see them drafting a player in 2nd round who will play much esp if they also land a high priced
free agent.
PatAg
AG
Gimme Brogdon and Beverley in the off-season
jeffdjohnson
Alvarado Times said:

2019 draft???? I think I would like to see them go big with their 2nd round pick.... Moses Brown/Tacko Fall big. I dont see them drafting a player in 2nd round who will play much esp if they also land a high priced
free agent.

I don't care for Tacko Fall. He is too slow and unskilled, might as well keep Salah. In that range I like Chuma Okeke. Wouldn't mind a gamble at Jontay Porter. Would be interested in Jalen McDaniels, Darius Bazley, Luka Samanic or Daniel Gafford. Even though the top end talent of this draft is weak (Zion aside) there is some depth of second tier players. Not sure who will hit but the Mavs will have a chance to grab a rotation player as late as 37.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.107024258.1245743792.1559572361-779017086.1516660244
M.C. Swag
AG

**** ya. That's so awesome. Dude deserves every accolade and honor Dallas can offer.
True Anomaly
AG
More good news as well

mavsfan4ever
AG
There was a good interview with Dirk last night during the Rangers game. It was Mavs night at the ballpark. The interview lasted a pretty long time.
chris1515
AG
The Mavs have a long time fascination with ultra tall players like Tacko Fall. I recall they drafted Pavel Podkolzine who was 7-6 or so, and then they had some similar guy up at Frisco a few years ago.

I think Tacko is better than those guys, and I've never understood why those guys couldn't be unstoppable on the offensive end in very limited doses.

I'd be ok if they sign Fall as an undrafted free agent, but I really hope we don't waste a draft pick on him.
gigem1223
Woj reporting the Lakers, Mavs and Knicks are all in on Kemba Walker.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Isn't it a bit early for these kinds of reports?

The finals and the draft haven't even happened yet.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Free agency starts in less than 3 weeks.....the draft will have little to no bearing on where the big fish go.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Free agency starts in less than 3 weeks.....the draft will have little to no bearing on where the big fish go.
The draft certainly has a bearing on FA. As it applies to Kemba, there's only intrigue if Charlotte refuses to offer the full max.
Grapesoda2525
I guess it's worth speculating on this tho.

I keep hearing on talk shows that the Durant injury has "changed" free agency and the NBA. I wonder how this effects the Mavericks this offseason. I'd say that mavs fans were expecting the first decent offseason ( in free agency) for the team since......maybe ever?

Superstars reacted to dirk like he was this 50 year old white geezer who was too old to play with. I just hope the front office actually has a plan this summer and doesn't get skunked like they always do.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I keep hearing on talk shows that the Durant injury has "changed" free agency and the NBA. I wonder how this effects the Mavericks this offseason. I'd say that mavs fans were expecting the first decent offseason ( in free agency) for the team since......maybe ever?

Superstars reacted to dirk like he was this 50 year old white geezer who was too old to play with. I just hope the front office actually has a plan this summer and doesn't get skunked like they always do.
I guess 'theoretically' since KD will be out all of next season anyway, maybe it slows down the Knicks need for AD. Since AD will be a FA in summer of 2020, maybe the Knicks are more apt to wait and sign him rather than trade for him right now.

By my calculations, they'll only have $8m committed to the 2020-2021 salary cap. That gives them more than enough room to hold 3 max slots (assuming they ink KD and Kyrie this season and then AD as a FA next season). This would allow them to hold on to all of those draft picks and fill in roster needs wherever they need to.

I'll admit that's an extreme case, but it's something the Knicks should consider. Because, what's the point of trading for AD now? With KD in rehab, I'm not sure they have a title shot (even if Kyrie signs with them). Might as well see if they can acquire AD without giving up any assets.

From the Mavs perspective:
Also, KD being out probably increases the Nets odds of landing Kyrie (why would he go to the knicks by himself?) and Toronto's odds of retaining Kawhi (the raptors will almost assuredly be the defending champs). Those moves will have trickle down effects where the Lakers will feel even more pressure to sign Kemba or Butler (which in turn affect the Mavs).
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I guess 'theoretically' since KD will be out all of next season anyway, maybe it slows down the Knicks need for AD. Since AD will be a FA in summer of 2020, maybe the Knicks are more apt to wait and sign him rather than trade for him right now.

By my calculations, they'll only have $8m committed to the 2020-2021 salary cap. That gives them more than enough room to hold 3 max slots (assuming they ink KD and Kyrie this season and then AD as a FA next season). This would allow them to hold on to all of those draft picks and fill in roster needs wherever they need to.

I'll admit that's an extreme case, but it's something the Knicks should consider. Because, what's the point of trading for AD now? With KD in rehab, I'm not sure they have a title shot (even if Kyrie signs with them). Might as well see if they can acquire AD without giving up any assets.

From the Mavs perspective:
Also, KD being out probably increases the Nets odds of landing Kyrie (why would he go to the knicks by himself?) and Toronto's odds of retaining Kawhi (the raptors will almost assuredly be the defending champs). Those moves will have trickle down effects where the Lakers will feel even more pressure to sign Kemba or Butler (which in turn affect the Mavs).
I hear ya.

I was personally rooting for Kawhi to stay in Toronto and KD to go to the knicks. It was probably the best case scenario for the Mavericks since we all know they wouldn't be coming here. I was hoping to see the East finally get stronger this offseason. I'm sick of the western conference having almost all of the good players and requiring 50 wins to get into the playoffs while teams with losing records in the eastern conference still make it.
jeffdjohnson
I'd like to see the Mavs go strong after RFA D'Angelo Russell since it appears Kyrie is headed to the Nets. I think a lineup with Russell / 1-2-3 Defender / Luka / 3-4-5 Defender / Porzingis would be a great team.
M.C. Swag
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I'd like to see the Mavs go strong after RFA D'Angelo Russell since it appears Kyrie is headed to the Nets. I think a lineup with Russell / 1-2-3 Defender / Luka / 3-4-5 Defender / Porzingis would be a great team.
I'm not a fan of Russell and am wary about young players that are let go (from 2 diff teams). Too many red flags for me and just not a fan of his game. I'd rather sign Pat Bev on a shorter/cheaper deal.

Brogdon is my #1 realistic RFA. He'd thrive on this team and checks all the boxes.
Saint Pablo
Grapesoda2525
So the upcoming draft will be pretty boring for us right? We have a mediocre second round pick and that's it?
Seven Costanza
AG
There have been some decent players drafted in that 37 range over the years. Jalen Brunson last year, for example. I'll watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.