***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,532 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
M.C. Swag said:

And ultimately picking up those 2nd rounders helps a little considering we lost a couple firsts to get KP. Replenishes some of the ammo lost in that trade.
Just glad the drafts over. On to the real show, free agency.
PooDoo
AG
Saint Pablo
Old School Brother
Saint Pablo said:

think Cuban will show up for this one? or will he have a shark tank conflict?
Saint Pablo
Old School Brother said:

Saint Pablo said:

think Cuban will show up for this one? or will he have a shark tank conflict?
He may have a date with Mr. Wonderful
Olsen
AG
Luka Doncic is ROTY.
rsf0626
Well deserved ROTY for luka. Hawks fans can finally shut up now
TDub
AG
LUKA MF'N DONI
True Anomaly
AG
Old School Brother
bogdanovic and beverley get anyone excited?
Grapesoda2525
Old School Brother said:

Beverley would. Our perimeter defense always sucks. He would fix it.
Olsen
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Olsen said:

We posting tweets from February now?
True Anomaly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Old School Brother said:

Beverley would. Our perimeter defense always sucks. He would fix it.
Gagree. As I said earlier on the other thread, Bev may be a pest, but I'd love to have him as our pest.

As far as I'm concerned, you can bring in Bev and then sign whoever with whatever is left. Nothing else really gets me jazzed up beyond that
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'd be on board for Bogdanovic and Beverly. Not a home run, but could definitely do worse. And neither should be contracts that hinder us for years to come, like Horford's could.
Old School Brother
mavsfan4ever said:

I'd be on board for Bogdanovic and Beverly. Not a home run, but could definitely do worse. And neither should be contracts that hinder us for years to come, like Horford's could.
Does this team really need a home run if Luka continues to get better and KP is what we think he is? I'm not a big fan of the fit of Kemba. I would much prefer to spend the same money on brogdon/bogdanovich and beverley.
Grapesoda2525
What about a Beverley / Horford combination?

Would fill 2 holes.
Old School Brother
Grapesoda2525 said:

What about a Beverley / Horford combination?

Would fill 2 holes.
if the rumors of the contract Horford will command are true, I don't think we can afford both....unless i'm overestimating what it would take to sign beverley.
M.C. Swag
AG
People should also know that Beverley and Bogdanovic are looking for big cash. Bev will command AT LEAST $10m (prolly closer to $15m) per year. And Bojan won't sign for anything less than $20m. There's a chance that we can't even AFFORD to sign both of those players (let alone 1 + Horford).
Old School Brother
I was counting on $10MM per for beverly and $20MM per for bogdanovich.
Iowaggie
AG
rsf0626
Kemba to dallas seems pretty much dead. Mavs still cant seem to land a big time free agent. (Not counting KP)
NoahAg
rsf0626 said:

Kemba to dallas seems pretty much dead.
Was it ever really alive? Seems like it is/was just hopeful wishing.
Grapesoda2525
rsf0626 said:

Kemba to dallas seems pretty much dead. Mavs still cant seem to land a big time free agent. (Not counting KP)
A lot of people think they will get Beverley.
rsf0626
Very alive...kemba's agent is extremely mavs friendly. The idea of him not being the primary ball handler probably turned him off a bit
hph6203
AG
Beverly and a starter quality SG or C is a better buy than Kemba alone.
ghostofthebanned
can't get kawhi, kd obviously, so my list goes:

kemba, horford, tobias harris, middleton, beverly, bogdanovic, mirotic
jeffdjohnson
I'm not saying Woj is wrong, but it would be pretty surprising for Kemba to not take any meetings and sign with Boston at 6 p.m. on Sunday. This will be the only time in his career where he gets a chance to be pitched by multiple teams (Lakers, Celtics, Mavs) so why wouldn't he want to listen? If the Mavs get a meeting, they will have a chance even if it isn't a great one.

I'm guessing next on the list will be a big offer to Brogdon. Probably up to his max of 27M, which is likely an overpay but may be the only way to pry him loose. I still think Milwaukee should match anything on Brogdon and pay the tax considering how close they are to winning it all next year. Just speculating but it seems Brogdon is the type of player the Mavs analytics would love next to Luka/Porzingis. Even at Brogdon's max they would still have about 10M and the MLE to play with to grab at least one more starter.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd throw $25m at Brogdon, easy. He'll be 30 when the contract expires and checks all the right boxes. The ONLY downside to offering him is that cap hold that the Mavs would have to suffer through while the Bucks make a decision. FAs could come off the board by the time MIL decides to match and then the Mavs are left with nothing.

It's a risky proposition, but at the same time, this will be the last big money summer we get for a while. I feel like we have to take a chance on someone (financially).
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

I'd throw $25m at Brogdon, easy. He'll be 30 when the contract expires and checks all the right boxes. The ONLY downside to offering him is that cap hold that the Mavs would have to suffer through while the Bucks make a decision. FAs could come off the board by the time MIL decides to match and then the Mavs are left with nothing.

It's a risky proposition, but at the same time, this will be the last big money summer we get for a while. I feel like we have to take a chance on someone (financially).
The mavs seem to get skunked every free agency summer. I would make Beverley the number 1 priority. I think he's a perfect fit for our team because doncic will have the ball most of the time anyway and we need his top notch defense.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brogdon is a far superior off-ball player, defensively versatile, and younger than Beverley. It's a riskier and more expensive proposition to offer Brogdon, but the upside is significantly higher.

Everyone should read these excerpts:
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/28/18761717/luka-doncic-nba-free-agency-dallas-mavericks-kristaps-porzingis

I don't follow other teams, but I thought this was a great primer on the Mavs free agency options. They also think Brogdon is the best fit by far.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old School Brother
I definitely agree that Brogdon is the best option, but like was mentioned in that Ringer article, the scary thing about that is tying up your money and then having the bucks match....meanwhile, you've missed out on anyone else you might have wanted.
M.C. Swag
AG
This is the time to swing for the fences. If everything goes the way we want it to with Luka, we won't have $30m of cap space for a very long time. I'd personally go all in on Brogdon and try your best to keep the lines open for backup plans.

Chiek Diallo is a UFA. Get him on the line and promise him $8m/yr if he waits for us. Something like that. Brogdon is the best overall fit for KP & Luka. Can't play scared this summer. Go get him.
alvtimes
I'll admit I dont study NBA payroll rules but I see the Lakers paying Lebron, Davis and trying to get Kawhi,
the rockets paying Harden, Chris paul and trying to get Jimmy Bulter..... meanwhile the Mavs highest paid player is 20 million....and they are talking about only having the ability to spend 30 mil.... i get the whole KP hold..... but it seems like the Mavs manage their payroll terribly!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.