***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,777 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I don't understand how the Clippers got Miami to attach a future first for Harkless (a starting caliber player on a similar deal as Olynk) when we didn't/couldnt.

I am afraid the simple answer is that we didn't ask. That whole trade scenario last night was FUBAR. Miami is probably done dealing with the Mavs for a long while.
hph6203
AG
They liked Derrick Jones Jr and thought his athleticism would play well next to Luka. Better than a protected draft pick 4 years from now.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

They liked Derrick Jones Jr and thought his athleticism would play well next to Luka. Better than a protected draft pick 4 years from now.
The scary thing is that I heard the Mavericks valued olynyk in the trade.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

Harkless+1st round pick >>>>>>> Olynk+DJJ imo

But I'm not Donnie Nelson.
Seven Costanza
AG
We haven't heard much news about Looney, Marcus Morris, or Cousins yet.
HawthornAggie
AG
Seven Costanza said:

We haven't heard much news about Looney, Marcus Morris, or Cousins yet.

Looney signed with the warriors
mavsfan4ever
AG
Surprised he only got 3/15. I don't think he's that good but expected him to get more.
Seven Costanza
AG
Seth Curry's route was pretty interesting. Minimally recruited out of high school. Signed with Liberty, but transferred to Duke after one season. Goes undrafted. Spends two years bouncing around the G League, then has an okay year off the bench for Sacramento, scoring 6 ppg in 44 games played (45% from 3). Signs with Dallas, plays in 70 games and averages 12 ppg (43% from 3). Misses a full season, then averages 8 ppg in 70 games played for Portland (45% from 3).

3 NBA seasons. A total of 53 games started. Career average of 9.3 ppg. About to turn 29. $32MM contract. I like it, though.
Blindside05
AG
So everyone agrees signing Green will make this a tolerable/good free agency. After looking around this morning, what are yalls thoughts on boogie cousins?

Think it might be interesting given our lack of depth at the position. Woj is saying there's not much of a market and not a lock to get the same type deal he got last year with GSW. If he's that cheap why not?
M.C. Swag
AG
Blindside05 said:

So everyone agrees signing Green will make this a tolerable/good free agency. After looking around this morning, what are yalls thoughts on boogie cousins?

Think it might be interesting given our lack of depth at the position. Woj is saying there's not much of a market and not a lock to get the same type deal he got last year with GSW. If he's that cheap why not?
Sign Green and a true backup Center, i'll be "content." That'd make this FA a B-/C+. Not a homerun, but not a complete disaster.

As for Boogie, I think he's washed. Some people are giving him the benefit of the doubt with that quad injury, but idk. I saw a guy whose body just looked incapable of moving the way he wanted it to. IMO, I'd rather use a roster spot on Chiek Diallo or Zubac.
Grapesoda2525
Blindside05 said:

I'd call it a tolerable one. Would give it a B. We don't seem to have closers in our front office tho so I'm almost expecting Toronto or an LA team to get him. Hoping I'm wrong. Curry and green would really upgrade our 3 point shooting.

The first night really sucked tho. It was very disappointing.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, I'd be satisfied with Curry, Green and X (young center).

That's not an awful result. Going into free agency, I think everyone knew it was a possibility that we would strike out on most or all of the big/bigger players. However, the way we struck out is what made it such a disaster and so frustrating. If we had offered some combo of Beverly, Bogdanovic, Brogdon, Terrence Ross, Danny Green, etc and they all just decided to go elsewhere (which would have been a possibility), then I think everyone could live with it. But we didn't even make offers to any of them and apparently didn't even have meetings (or attempt to set up meetings) or even talk to them on the phone. Instead, we did nothing because we thought the players would all take a while to sign. That makes absolutely no sense. Even if we thought that, why take the chance of not working quickly the first night? Cubes and Donnie were reportedly at a celebration dinner when all of the deals were being made. And the rest of our front office was mixed up in the weird Miami trade debacle. That's infuriating.

It looks like we could've gotten some combo of Bogdanovic, Beverly, Ross, etc. They all went for a little less than expected and we had the money to pay them. Maybe our front office just didn't like those players for some reason. But it sure looks like they just got caught sleeping at the wheel.

Oh well, we should at least still be fun to watch next year. And if we manage to get Green and someone else, the end result won't be bad.
M.C. Swag
AG
Btw, for those of you who would rather 'keep our powder dry' than overpay for mid-tier guys...you're missing a crucial aspect.

With Maxi's and KPs extensions, the Mavs will enter next season over the Cap. They will not have any powder to keep dry. This $28m is a use it or lose it situation.
Grapesoda2525
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea, I'd be satisfied with Curry, Green and X (young center).

That's not an awful result. Going into free agency, I think everyone knew it was a possibility that we would strike out on most or all of the big/bigger players. However, the way we struck out is what made it such a disaster and so frustrating. If we had offered some combo of Beverly, Bogdanovic, Brogdon, Terrence Ross, Danny Green, etc and they all just decided to go elsewhere (which would have been a possibility), then I think everyone could live with it. But we didn't even make offers to any of them and apparently didn't even have meetings (or attempt to set up meetings) or even talk to them on the phone. Instead, we did nothing because we thought the players would all take a while to sign. That makes absolutely no sense. Even if we thought that, why take the chance of not working quickly the first night? Cubes and Donnie were reportedly at a celebration dinner when all of the deals were being made. And the rest of our front office was mixed up in the weird Miami trade debacle. That's infuriating.

It looks like we could've gotten some combo of Bogdanovic, Beverly, Ross, etc. They all went for a little less than expected and we had the money to pay them. Maybe our front office just didn't like those players for some reason. But it sure looks like they just got caught sleeping at the wheel.

Oh well, we should at least still be fun to watch next year. And if we manage to get Green and someone else, the end result won't be bad.
I think deadweight Donnie Nelson got caught with his pants down. This is the main time of the year that the man needs to do his job and he always sucks at it.
Grapesoda2525
If we need another data point to show how terrible the Mavs front office culture and organization is as a whole (minus Dirk and Luka of course), they employed a convicted rapist as a scout.

He was registered in the sex offender database and they either didn't check or worse did.

https://deadspin.com/a-scouts-honor-1835664571

Quote:

Yet Philo was sentenced to a year in county jail, a sentence whose leniency flabbergasted Jennifer A. Jensen, Saratoga County's sex-crimes prosecutor at the time. "The defendant held a position of trust and violated that trust when he engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old student, not once but on four separate occasions," Jensen declared after sentencing, according to a report in the Times Union. "This case is even worse because the defendant impregnated a 15-year-old and now we have a child raising a child."
Evidently, the organization either didn't dig very deep into Philo's backgroundhe'd enrolled in the Texas sex offender registry the very same week he got the invitation to try out for the Mavericksor weren't bothered enough by what they found not to hire him. Philo has said he was a full-time international scout for the team by 2003.
Nelson, through team spokesperson Sarah Melton, declined to answer any questions about Philo's hiring, saying via email that the team couldn't even confirm the date Philo was hired. Melton said that information about Philo wasn't available because "our old HR guy has been let go." (That would be former HR director Buddy Pittman, who was fired in Febuary 2018 for failing to appropriately address domestic abuse and sexual abuse allegations against employees. Pittman did not respond to an interview request.

I root for this team on the court and I always will no matter what, but the people we have running the team at the top appear to be incompetent and lazy.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Cubes and Donnie were reportedly at a celebration dinner when all of the deals were being made.
If they were out celebrating KP's signing then I don't have a problem with it. They needed to show him some attention and not assume it was a done deal. He could have gone anywhere and gotten a ton of money, but they got him to resign with us despite him never living in Dallas and never playing with us. He has no ties to our community or team, and it's better to spend a little effort to keep him then to throw a huge contract and just expect him to sign. That said, there's no excuse for not having a better plan in place in regards to all the other targets
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agnzona
Cuban said just a few days ago almost nothing happens on day one.
Olsen
AG
AirplaneAg09
AG
If Cousins brings the same attitude he had at GS, then I'd be fine taking a flyer on him for cheap. He may not be the same player he was but his attitude and locker room presence is the bigger X factor to me.
2wealfth Man
AG
Olsen said:

Donnie getting the old band back together
M.C. Swag
AG
Keeping Maxi and DFS was always part of the plan. For $4m/yr, I have no idea why you chose that emoji for this news.
Grapesoda2525
2wealfth Man said:

Olsen said:

Donnie getting the old band back together
It definitely beats the old plan of signing everyone on 1 year contracts every year and hoping beyond hope that a star would join an empty team.

The thing Cuban and Donnie took 5 years to understand is that star players want to hear " join us and we will make a run at the championship", they don't want to hear " join us and we will build around you".
rsf0626
Looks like the mavs are going for a different approach finally....they are trying to develop some continuity with the team instead of these 1 year contracts.
hph6203
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

Cubes and Donnie were reportedly at a celebration dinner when all of the deals were being made.
If they were out celebrating KP's signing then I don't have a problem with it. They needed to show him some attention and not assume it was a done deal. He could have gone anywhere and gotten a ton of money, but they got him to resign with us despite him never living in Dallas and never playing with us. He has no ties to our community or team, and it's better to spend a little effort to keep him then to throw a huge contract and just expect him to sign. That said, there's no excuse for not having a better plan in place in regards to all the other targets
Kristaps was restricted, he couldn't sign anywhere else this off-season.

The Mavericks can also spend all of their cap space, improve the team, and not have to overpay or have dead money. They didn't need to add an aging Dragic or massively outbid Indiana for Brogdon or overpay Beverly to improve this team. Our core is ridiculously young and the focus should be finding really young to younger players with potential to be great role players.

Even if they do spend all of their cap space this off-season they should still (I believe) be able to fit a max/near max contract in free agency two years from now with Giannis (or other players) given increases in the cap and the expiring deals of Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr. Next year's free agency class isn't anywhere near this years or two years from now so missing out on spending next year isn't a huge deal and we won't have any significant free agents to retain.

Seth Curry is a good example. He's about to be 29, has a skill set that will last all of his contract and relatively cheap.

There are still several guys out there that fit that mold, and the Mavs are one of only 4ish teams that have significant cap room (Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Hawks, but one of those LA teams, Lakers, will be signing Kawhi). That means they should be the favorites to add some of those younger guys.
ghostofthebanned
M.C. Swag said:

Btw, for those of you who would rather 'keep our powder dry' than overpay for mid-tier guys...you're missing a crucial aspect.

With Maxi's and KPs extensions, the Mavs will enter next season over the Cap. They will not have any powder to keep dry. This $28m is a use it or lose it situation.
thank goodness someone said this...been arguing with buddies for 2 days now on this...it's a use it or lose it
ghostofthebanned
grateful for this thread right now. My non-Ag Mavs buddies are driving me nuts. I guess they used to be a lot more tuned in, but apparently not on this round of free agency.

They just keep saying things like "we can't force people to play for us." TRUE. I'd be totally fine if we ended up holding the bag because everyone declined to come to Dallas because that would assume we at least tried! From best I can tell, we didn't even try with a lot of attainable guys that would've really added much needed skill sets to our roster.

Still hoping I can eat these words after we pull some crazy trade out of our asses, but not holding my breath....
Grapesoda2525
ghostofthebanned said:

grateful for this thread right now. My non-Ag Mavs buddies are driving me nuts. I guess they used to be a lot more tuned in, but apparently not on this round of free agency.

They just keep saying things like "we can't force people to play for us." TRUE. I'd be totally fine if we ended up holding the bag because everyone declined to come to Dallas because that would assume we at least tried! From best I can tell, we didn't even try with a lot of attainable guys that would've really added much needed skill sets to our roster.

Still hoping I can eat these words after we pull some crazy trade out of our asses, but not holding my breath....
Looks like it's green or bust buddy,

I like our chances tho actually. If Kawhi goes to the lakers, we should have no problem getting him because the lakers can't afford him with no cap space and he'd leave the raptors in a heart beat.
PatAg
AG
I just don't think the vast majority of the free agents this year would have fit our team or made us better.

I would.have liked Beverley, but I read we maybe didn't like.his medical reports
Horford would have been ok
Would have liked Brogdon

Everyone else, I don't care.

End of the day we have KP and Luka and solid players, and added a 3pt sharpshooter. Hopefully we add Green
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

ghostofthebanned said:

I like our chances tho actually. If Kawhi goes to the lakers, we should have no problem getting him because the lakers can't afford him with no cap space and he'd leave the raptors in a heart beat.

There have been rumors that Kawhi would take under the max to bring Green. Of course, they can just put him in Space Jam, too
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

ghostofthebanned said:

There have been rumors that Kawhi would take under the max to bring Green. Of course, they can just put him in Space Jam, too
Ouch that sucks. Would be just our luck too.

I've heard a rumor that Jabari Parker is on his way to Dallas to talk. I'm not sure how he affects the pursuit of green.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

ghostofthebanned said:

I've heard a rumor that Jabari Parker is on his way to Dallas to talk. I'm not sure how he affects the pursuit of green.

Jabari is only connecting through Dallas (heading to Chicago).

As for Kawhi+Green with the Clippers; the Clips will likely have to flip Gallinari (which btw we have enough room to absorb into space without having to send anything back).

Suffice to say, Green going with Kawhi to LA isn't necessarily a bad thing.
M.C. Swag
AG
Also, Patrick Beverley was on The Jump today;

If he's being honest, looks like Mavs were never in the hunt. No way we would match/beat $50m.
hph6203
AG
PatAg said:

I just don't think the vast majority of the free agents this year would have fit our team or made us better.

I would.have liked Beverley, but I read we maybe didn't like.his medical reports
Would have liked Brogdon

End of the day we have KP and Luka and solid players, and added a 3pt sharpshooter. Hopefully we add Green

This, there's overhead in Kemba's contract for this team, because he's a high usage player adding to two high usage players (Luka, KP). He'd be a good get, but you're not getting full value for him here.

Al Horford would have been a terrible signing. Terrible.

Beverly would have been a nice add at the price he went for, but staying in LA was his decision. The thought the Mavs didn't offer is ridiculous.

Brogdon went for more than the Mavs could swing. Draft compensation to Mil ensured that deal went through fast, Mavs would've had to overpay and sweat out 48 hours of free agency wondering and bull****ting free agents. "We'll sign you if we don't get this guy we clearly prefer over you."

The rest of the guys locked up on the first day were either bad fits, returned to their current team, or were never attainable.

Mavs front office knows which way the wind blows and letting people know they offered Bogdanovic and he opted to go with Utah would be stupid. Make the call, if he's not interested move on.

There's so much overreaction and hand wringing in this thread. This team has a 4 year window of improvement opportunity (KP locked up for 5 years, Luka restricted in 4 years), and while they will enter this season over the cap and they should absolutely spend their cap room, my perspective is that they should find young guys with potential/value and lock them up cheap rather than pay for excess like Kemba. The 28 and under crowd should be this team's bread and butter to try and build quality depth and then hit the free agency market big again in 2 years after Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr.'s contracts expire. A couple of years of 4-8 seeds won't kill this team.

Edit: Would be surprised if Green follows Kawhi and Kawhi takes a pay cut to make that happen. Kawhi seems LAL bound and that would be an 8-12 mil/yr cut for 4 years to have your bud along for the ride. Seems unlikely.
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

ghostofthebanned said:

Jabari is only connecting through Dallas (heading to Chicago).

As for Kawhi+Green with the Clippers; the Clips will likely have to flip Gallinari (which btw we have enough room to absorb into space without having to send anything back).

Suffice to say, Green going with Kawhi to LA isn't necessarily a bad thing.
It's just an assumption tho,

Ballmer might be willing to pay the luxury tax, then we'd get nothing.
mavsfan4ever
AG
hph6203 said:

PatAg said:

Would have liked Brogdon

my perspective is that they should find young guys with potential/value and lock them up cheap rather than pay for excess like Kemba. The 28 and under crowd should be this team's bread and butter

I get what you're saying but this is much easier said than done. Good young players just don't come available very often. If they are good they are usually locked up by the team that drafted them and never become available. That, or you have to overpay for them because they are a restricted free agent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.