***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

186,741 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea, I'll watch just because I think this could be a super intriguing night of trades with other teams. And you can't rule out Dallas doing something crazy (maybe trading the pick or moving up or whatever).
PatAg
AG
I don't get why anyone would want Russell on this team
M.C. Swag
AG
Totally agree. People just see his age and go "that's great" all the while forgetting that 2 teams were more than willing to let that young "asset" go.
Grapesoda2525
Lakers acquire Anthony Davis and rumors are Kemba is now their #1 target.

Mavs better get vucevic or bring deandre Jordan back at center.
hph6203
AG
Think Kemba has a lot of wasted dollars for this team.
rsf0626
The list is getting shorter...kris middleton is planning on re-upping with the bucks it looks like
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't think there was ever any real hope for Middleton. I'm interested in seeing who wins the Brogdon bidding war.
PatAg
AG
please just let us sign players that make sense
mavsfan4ever
AG
I just hope we don't sign someone like Horford to big money. I also don't want vucevic but he'd be better than Horford at least. If nothing is out there that fits well, I'd rather keep the powder dry for next year. Actually, I'd be fine with 2 year contracts, preferably with a team option for a third year (but no good player will likely agree to that). Free agency of 2021 is the next big free agency summer. I don't think there is much available next year.
PooDoo
AG

Grapesoda2525
PooDoo said:

We have the best medical staff in the NBA. He might use us to recover for a year or two then head to NY.
chris1515
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Lakers acquire Anthony Davis and rumors are Kemba is now their #1 target.

Mavs better get vucevic or bring deandre Jordan back at center.

Bring Deandre back??? No thanks.

BDR
AG
Just saw a tweet from the Ringer that we are the favorites to land Al Horford. He's 33 and just turned down a $30M option. That means we would probably give him some type of gigantic 3 year deal with $20+M per year. Please no.
Saint Pablo
BDR said:

Just saw a tweet from the Ringer that we are the favorites to land Al Horford. He's 33 and just turned down a $30M option. That means we would probably give him some type of gigantic 3 year deal with $20+M per year. Please no.
Agree.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Oh God no. That's why I posted this morning that I didn't want him. I had a terrible suspicion that we may be the team dumb enough to give him a big deal, given that it looks like we don't have a great shot at anyone else.

And by the way, reports are the Boston was willing to give him a 3 year deal. He wants a 4 year deal. So it may be 4/100 or something like that.

Woof.
Grapesoda2525
mavsfan4ever said:

Oh God no. That's why I posted this morning that I didn't want him. I had a terrible suspicion that we may be the team dumb enough to give him a big deal, given that it looks like we don't have a great shot at anyone else.

And by the way, reports are the Boston was willing to give him a 3 year deal. He wants a 4 year deal. So it may be 4/100 or something like that.

Woof.
He's so old that the Mavericks would start to regret that deal by year 2.
Saint Pablo
rsf0626
All dallas media outlets saying the mavs aren't really in the running for horford....Probably something his agent sent out there as leverage against the mavs to get a bigger contract
PooDoo
AG
jeffdjohnson
If this were a video game then Russell fits well as a combo guard/SG type. He is young (improving), attainable, good wingspan, good shooter (39% from 3 on catch and shoot) with a high assist percentage. Could run as PG when Luka sits. Of course in real life he would have to lower his usage and agree to be more of a spot up shooter/secondary play-maker deferring to Luka. That doesn't seem likely for a 23 year old with a big ego which would make him a bad fit (DSJ). But I'm sure that Mavs have done their homework.

There are better options than Russell, but I don't know what top 50 type player would be more attainable. Kemba is attainable only if Charlotte doesn't give him the 5 year max (they don't need to go supermax). Who knows on that one. Maybe Tobias Harris will be attainable but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to max him.

Maybe splitting the cap space is a better plan than going after a single top 50 guy anyways. My favorite idea was Brogdon/Randle/Stretch wave Lee but I don't think Brogdon is attainable. Milwaukee is clearing cap space and will match anything IMO. He is an important player. If the Mavs are splitting their cap space then maybe they could do something like Beverly/Lamb/Aminu for the 37M. Of course with so much cap space out there it is not even clear how far 37M will go. Could be some crazy overpays in the first week of free agency. It might even be best to just sit out the first wave and round up some bargains for players in the 100-200 range (Seth Curry/KCP/Bobby Portis/Jabari Parker/etc...). Could be some real value in there. Should be interesting, I think the Mavs front office is pretty good overall so I'm curious to see what they come up with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/c2j3mp/top_free_agents_by_position_based_on_nbamath/
PatAg
AG
Apparently we are looking into trading for PJ Warren, not sure that would affect our cap space in any way
PooDoo
AG
Think Donnie is itching to draft Bol Bol?
True Anomaly
AG
Come on Bol Bol
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol fuuuuuck. Mavs trade back with Detroit to 45 and 2 future 2nds.

Seven Costanza
AG
I'd like Schofield at 45.
True Anomaly
AG
Bol Bol will probably still be there at 45
M.C. Swag
AG
At this point in the draft, take your shot at the best player available...and that's Kevin Porter JR. He's a dip**** but he's got top 10 talent.
Griffle
Just read that Bol weighed in barely over 200 pounds after losing almost 30 pounds with the injury.
Bmac04
AG
He went at #30
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol oh **** missed that completely.

I'd prolly just pick Talen Horton Tucker or Johntay Porter.
Aston04
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol fuuuuuck. Mavs trade back with Detroit to 45 and 2 future 2nds.

good value there. Hope the guy they ship to Detroit isn't a stud someday.
ghostofthebanned
I don't get the love fro Bol Bol....I like Roby, glad we got him. Porzingis is a better version of Bol anyways. After the 30th draft pick...rare that they'll ever see the floor or significant minutes anyhow
True Anomaly
AG
ghostofthebanned said:

I don't get the love fro Bol Bol....I like Roby, glad we got him. Porzingis is a better version of Bol anyways. After the 30th draft pick...rare that they'll ever see the floor or significant minutes anyhow
I was just doing bits- I didn't really care to get Bol Bol other than for yuks. I'm good with Roby as well. I'm also glad they traded down to get future picks
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm just glad the Mavs actually took some players with length. I don't think Roby or Reaves have much chance at making an impact in the league, but I like the physical tools they have if it works out.
M.C. Swag
AG
And ultimately picking up those 2nd rounders helps a little considering we lost a couple firsts to get KP. Replenishes some of the ammo lost in that trade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.