***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,978 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big game tonight. Not for us trying to get up to the 5-6 seed, but if we win it could go a long way to making the clippers fall to the 3 seed. Denver is only half a game behind them now and could pass them if Denver wins and the Clippers lose tonight.
Saint Pablo
Justin Jackson is a bum.
MW03
AG
Good timeout there by Rick. Within one and starting to wobble just a tiny bit. Good coaching.
jeffdjohnson
Mavs just don't have a 3rd guy. Hardaway has turned into a pumpkin in the bubble. And yes, Justin Jackson won't be in the league when his contract runs out. China level player.
MW03
AG
The Clippers are championship level team. Period. And Leonard is the best player in the league. It's not really close, either.
Spaceship
AG
You could see LA's championship level defense when they turned it on down the stretch. The Mavs are subpar defensively and can't get it done in the clutch at all. Definitely agree that a wing scorer/defender is sorely needed.
jeffdjohnson
MW03 said:

The Clippers are championship level team. Period. And Leonard is the best player in the league. It's not really close, either.

It will be hard to pick against the Clippers, even versus Giannis. Getting Luka some reps versus playoff Kawahi won't necessarily be the worst thing in the world in the long run. Even if it ends up being a short series. It just sucks that the Mavs would have more than a punchers chance versus any other team, even the Lakers.
fightinags2013
AG
Annnnd Denver loses to Portland. Clipper matchup looking more likely every day.
mavsfan4ever
AG
We are really missing Brunson. We have absolutely no playmakers off the dribble other than Luka. Brunson is great at creating his own shot or getting to the paint and creating for others. We really need that right now. Maybe Barrea can give us some of that once we get to the playoffs.

At least KP is amazing.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

We are really missing Brunson. We have absolutely no playmakers off the dribble other than Luka. Brunson is great at creating his own shot or getting to the paint and creating for others. We really need that right now. Maybe Barrea can give us some of that once we get to the playoffs.

At least KP is amazing.
Trey Burke says hello
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha, he has been very good. We would be in even more trouble without him.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Haha, he has been very good. We would be in even more trouble without him.
I do agree that Brunson is very important to this team going forward. I also think next year we should seriously consider keeping Burke on the roster, as I imagine Barea will be retiring.
Southlake
Good point about Brunson.

He's also very tough and competitive. I'd trust him in crunch time more than Curry.

We'll get swept by the Clippers. They're just too good.
awrollins
Other than the Rockets game, our spot up shooting has been less than stellar.
Phat32
AG
Nothing? That was ****ing incredible.
Spaceship
AG
Luka!!!!!!! Man he's fun to watch and a stat machine.

Much better in the clutch tonight as a team too.
MW03
AG
That was the best game I've seen Luka play. Period. Good grief. Its a matter of time before he wins his first of several MVPs.
Danny Phantom
yukmonkey said:

Nothing? That was ****ing incredible.
It was! I couldn't help but be pessimistic toward the end of the 4th but it was nice to see us comeback to send it to OT. DFS & Luka had a great game! Much needed W for our confidence before the playoffs start.
fightinags2013
AG
Wow. Luka.
That pass to Maxi. Just incredible.
awrollins
What a game, I thought we actually played great defense on Giannis. Dodo is such a tough defender.
fightinags2013
AG
That has got to be one of the best individual games in Maverick history.

A few that come to mind- Dirk vs T-Mac duel and Dirk games 1 and 4 vs OKC 2011 WCF. 2003 playoff games for Van Exel vs Sacramento.

And this is just a few games after an insane line vs Sacramento as well. Dude is ridiculous.
fightinags2013
AG
CoppellAg93
AG
Luka is unbelivable and he's only in his second year. Can't wait to watch him the next 10 years here in Dallas.

I feel bad for Dirk. Here's a guy that was one of the best players ever in the NBA, who spent his whole 20 year career here in Dallas busting his ass every night, and Luka is already making people forget how good he really was.

MW03
AG
I don't think anyone has or will ever forget Dirk.
Southlake
And, some would say the the Bucks were coasting, but that's not true; they were playing hard.

Great overall game with amazing performances.

Can this be the confidence boost the Mavs needed?
M.C. Swag
AG
Great win! Bucks were definitely playing their best to win that game down the stretch. AThere were a few moments where Giannis really lost his cool tho. Found that out of character for him.
500,000ags
AG
If the Mavs had not shot 29.8% from 3 in regulation, it would have been a landslide.
PatAg
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

Luka is unbelivable and he's only in his second year. Can't wait to watch him the next 10 years here in Dallas.

I feel bad for Dirk. Here's a guy that was one of the best players ever in the NBA, who spent his whole 20 year career here in Dallas busting his ass every night, and Luka is already making people forget how good he really was.

Only morons
dave94
AG
I don't know any Mavs fan that will ever forget about Dirk.
EconAg18
AG

awrollins
The possible scenarios for a non Clippers matchup in the first round:

Mavs win out, Utah loses out
Denver wins out

Also, I'm not sure of any of the potential tiebreakers but if Houston wins out and the clippers lose out they are tied and if OKC loses out and the Mavs win out they are tied.

Moral of the story, a matchup against the clippers is almost guaranteed to happen. But, far less likely things in the NBA and even in the bubble (who would've thought T.J. Warren would look like Steph Curry in the middle of the Warriors dynasty) have happened. Go Nuggets!
CoppellAg93
AG
MW03 said:

Ok - I guess I mis-spoke - I agree with this.

My point was that in his second year, Luka is putting up numbers that Dirk never really got close to, even in his MVP season. Dirk is considered Mr. Maverick, and I personally will never forget what he did for the team and the city, especially the 2011 title run. But he most likely will be overshadowed by Luka, assuming he brings home a title or 2 in his career.
True Anomaly
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

MW03 said:

Ok - I guess I mis-spoke - I agree with this.

My point was that in his second year, Luka is putting up numbers that Dirk never really got close to, even in his MVP season. Dirk is considered Mr. Maverick, and I personally will never forget what he did for the team and the city, especially the 2011 title run. But he most likely will be overshadowed by Luka, assuming he brings home a title or 2 in his career.
If Luka does bring multiple titles to Dallas, it'll be a generational thing. Dirk was the mold, the prototype. Luka then would break the mold and be the icon of the new generation. But I think it would be appropriately seen as one handing the torch to the other, especially as they got to play together for a season

However I would agree that Dirk made people forget the late 80s Mavericks. The only reason they (most casual fans, I mean) remember those guys is because two of them still call games regularly - Derek Harper on TV and Brad Davis on radio
jeffdjohnson
awrollins said:

Denver wins out

Also, I'm not sure of any of the potential tiebreakers but if Houston wins out and the clippers lose out they are tied and if OKC loses out and the Mavs win out they are tied.

Moral of the story, a matchup against the clippers is almost guaranteed to happen. But, far less likely things in the NBA and even in the bubble (who would've thought T.J. Warren would look like Steph Curry in the middle of the Warriors dynasty) have happened. Go Nuggets!
While the first scenario is possible, I think it is the more unlikely one. Tomorrow the Mavs play a back to back and will likely rest Luka/KP. It would be tough to beat a desperate Portland team tomorrow with backups but you never know.

Interesting though that Denver controls their own destiny. I didn't realize that.
jeffdjohnson
jeffdjohnson said:

awrollins said:

Denver wins out

While the first scenario is possible, I think it is the more unlikely one. Tomorrow the Mavs play a back to back and will likely rest Luka/KP. It would be tough to beat a desperate Portland team tomorrow with backups but you never know.

Interesting though that Denver controls their own destiny. I didn't realize that.

Actually, looks like the Mavs are resting everyone today.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259094/Luka-Doncic-Kristaps-Porzingis-Dorian-Finney-Smith-Out-For-Monday-Game-Versus-Jazz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.