***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

189,936 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great stuff MC Swag. I don't have the data in front of me, but I know that basketball people smarter than me have pointed out that Luka is a big reason why the Mavs get lots of open shots, both last season and this season. There's an advanced stat for it- I believe it's "quantified shot quality"? Anyway, I know that by virtue of Luka's play, he gets his teammates wide open looks, and in Carlisle's flow offense, this happens to a greater degree. But as you point out, we just have guys that don't hit them.
Grapesoda2525
Can you imagine how good the Mavs would be if Cuban hadn't been so pompous and cocky and slept through the first two weeks of free agency?

"Don't worry, nobody big or worthwhile is going to sign on day 1."

He legitimately FORGOT to call Patrick Beverley despite telling him they would. It's not a rumor. They even admitted it.

Once again, Cuban and his smug arrogance overplayed his hand and mis-read the landscape of the NBA, and the Mavs were left out as losers. They had more cap space than almost every other team... enough for 1 Max player or 2 really good ones, and they came away with nobody of any value. Then, once they realized their miscalculation and that the rest of the basketball world was laughing at their inactivity, they doubled down on their stupidity by blowing a chunk of their cap space on Seth Curry and Boban Marjanovic. Curry sees limited minutes and hasn't been a big contributor at all, and Marjanovic frequently gets DNP's. Now imagine instead of those two spares we had usable rotation pieces like Beverley or Danny Green (just to name a few who could have been had).

I swear, Mark Cuban stumbles ass-backwards into the most fortuitous situations that not even James Dolan could mess up, and yet somehow ol' Cubes does just that. He was GIFTED Dirk by the Nelsons and proceeded to waste his entire career by: a) saying Nash was washed up and letting him walk, b) failing to put together any kind of legit core around Dirk for almost his entire career, c) always trying to sign the pie-in-the-sky free agents like Howard and DWill instead of focusing on acquiring multiple realistic next tier targets, and d) breaking up the championship team because he just "knew" how the NBA works (at least he finally admitted he was full of it on that one).

Now, he somehow lucked into a sweet draft pick during the perfect draft year, and Donnie suckered Atlanta into giving up a generational talent in Doncic for a high scorer/chucker in Young. Then Donnie took advantage of the dumpster fire that is the New York Knicks and got the unicorn Porzingis for a soggy bologna sandwich. So Cuban is sitting there with two of the best players in the NBA at the relative beginning of their careers and the cap space to actually add a THIRD elite star to the mix or at least two very good role players, and what does he do? He does nothing at all while all other teams take action, then he acts genuinely surprised that he missed out on all of the good players. It's unreal.

They're a pretty decent team as constructed... not elite, but decent. But I just get so upset at the thought of how good they could have been had they even remotely tried in free agency. I've truly never seen a team just completely forget what they were doing like that. Even their biggest fanboy/ lapdog Mike Fisher criticized them for having literally no plan whatsoever for free agency.
awinlonghorn
The biggest need i see on this team immediately is a bench scorer. If KP and Luka go out, there is zero offense.

We have a $12M trade chip, and a $2M trade chip. Let's use it to find a good scoring option.

Heck, i'd be open to signing Jamal Crawford, who is not on a roster.
Grapesoda2525
awinlonghorn said:

The biggest need i see on this team immediately is a bench scorer. If KP and Luka go out, there is zero offense.

We have a $12M trade chip, and a $2M trade chip. Let's use it to find a good scoring option.

Heck, i'd be open to signing Jamal Crawford, who is not on a roster.
Should've kept trey Burke.
True Anomaly
AG
Missing out on Pat Bev still irks the **** outta me. He would've been PERFECT on this team
mavsfan4ever
AG
What was really mind boggling about waiting so long to put Luka back in was the fact that we had so much rest before that game. I get it, we don't want to wear him down, etc. But it's not like it was a back to back. In fact, we just had two days off. He could've played another 2-3 minutes in a game that we really needed.

Now that we have a "big 2" (even though KP isn't playing great yet), there should never be 5-6 minute stretches where neither of them are on the floor, especially not in the fourth quarter of a close game. The lineup we had in at the beginning of the fourth just didn't have much of a chance. I really like it when we play KP with our bench unit.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True Anomaly said:

Missing out on Pat Bev still irks the **** outta me. He would've been PERFECT on this team

Yea he is the perfect type of point guard for this team. If we had gotten him it would've made a big difference.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Maybe Carlisle read this thread lol. Thought the rotations were much better tonight.

Big win. Kleber was amazing on defense all night. And KP had a great third quarter. And hardaway had a very hardaway night.

Doncic has a rough night, especially with turnovers. But even on rough nights he still fills up the stat sheet.
True Anomaly
AG
Luka is a ****ing god

40-point triple-double. Only him and Lebron to do it under 21
MW03
AG
That deep 3 to get 42 with SA threatening was legendary stuff.
kill0509
AG
As amazing as it has been to watch Luka play in the NBA so far, what excites me the most are the quotes like what Carlisle said in the post game presser. Luka called the play for when DFS hit the 3 from the top off of a down screen. So, seeing that a teammate is hot on a night like this and set him up. Crud, even the post game interview when Skin was talking to him about his 40 point triple double, he immediately gave Dorian some love. Both guys had career highs tonight on points and all Luka wanted to talk about was his teammate! Love it!
mavsfan4ever
AG
Dorian and Luka both played out of their minds!!
Grapesoda2525
Maybe this team isn't bad.

The Knicks thing is weird tho. I guess the Knicks just made us their super bowl. It still remains true that you can't make the playoffs in the west if you don't beat the bottom feeders. Can't really afford to lose to anymore of them.
Pvilleaggie
Sign Jamal Crawford!!! Need some scoring to start the fourth quarter when Luka and KP are out...
Phat32
AG
Why's he not on a roster?
Isaih Smollett
he's like 50
Ervin Burrell
AG
Luka: "Today I had a dream I was gonna score 16 in the first quarter, but then I scored 17. So I guess dreams don't come true"
Phat32
South Platte
Grapesoda2525 said:

Maybe this team isn't bad.

The Knicks thing is weird tho. I guess the Knicks just made us their super bowl. It still remains true that you can't make the playoffs in the west if you don't beat the bottom feeders. Can't really afford to lose to anymore of them.
Yeah, last year the Suns started 5-24 with 2 wins against the Mavs.
Carlo4
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Luka: "Today I had a dream I was gonna score 16 in the first quarter, but then I scored 17. So I guess dreams don't come true"
Proposition Joe
They aren't bad, but they aren't great... They look like your typical 6-7 seed that could pull off a playoff upset but are't going to be in the Finals.
True Anomaly
AG
Genuinely curious just how many kids show up in Curry jerseys tonight, or did they already ditch them for Doncic jerseys
M.C. Swag
AG
Last years game against GS was ridiculous. So many fake fans with brand new merch.

Thinking it'll be very different this time lol
Grapesoda2525
Those who go to the game let us know. Should be good for a laugh or 2
Seven Costanza
AG
Bill Simmons spent about 30 minutes this week talking about how great he thinks Luka is (following the Spurs game). He thinks the Mavs win 50 games this season, which I'm just not seeing yet. Thinks KP figures it out as he gets more comfortable and they add some buyout guys later in the season.
M.C. Swag
AG
Simmons is pretty detached from sports these days. I really don't think he's watched more than 2 Mavs games all year (against the Lakers and Celtics) and is just being reactionary to Luka's brilliance.

Mavs could be a 40-45 win team, but there's nothing I've seen so far to suggest they can get to 50.

mavsfan4ever
AG
I agree that Simmons probably hasn't watched us much.

But to play devil's advocate, there is nothing I've seen to suggest we will be a 40 win team (other than the two losses to the knicks who we apparently just don't matchup with). But even with those losses, I'd be shocked if we are not above .500. We should be 9-5 after tonight. After our great early start, ive decided that it's okay to have high expectations this year. I will be extremely disappointed if we don't make the playoffs.

If I had to guess at this point, I'd probably go 47 wins. But I don't think 50 is outlandish. We've been in every single game and realistically should be 1-2 games better than our record to date.
awrollins
Well, not a terrible start
Ervin Burrell
AG
22, 5, and 5 for Luka after a quarter.
hph6203
AG
Uhm....
Saint Pablo
I miss Luka
M.C. Swag
AG
what in the **** is this kid
cjeffery20
M.C. Swag said:

Simmons is pretty detached from sports these days. I really don't think he's watched more than 2 Mavs games all year (against the Lakers and Celtics) and is just being reactionary to Luka's brilliance.

Mavs could be a 40-45 win team, but there's nothing I've seen so far to suggest they can get to 50.

We need a consistent third piece. Bad.
True Anomaly
AG
I'm not good with advanced stats, but eye test tells me that my preferred starting 5:

Luka
KP
Seth
Dodo
Maxi
MW03
AG
I'm starting to believe Luka is a generational talent. Like LeBron. It's incredible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.