***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

187,657 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Seth Curry / Danny Green / Marcus Morris / Boban / Re-up KP / Re-up Maxi / Re-up DFS and keeping Lee as an expiring trade chip would be among the best possible offseason iterations that the Mavs could have come up with. The Mavs would have a salty team next year. Everything seems to be leveraged on weirdo Kawhi though.

I'd be very pleased with this. But if green goes with kawhi then I go from very pleased to dumpster fire off-season.
Same
Guitarsoup
AG
One Morris going with DEeeeeeetroit
Galborathelion
Half the roster is foreign now... Not sure how I feel about that. It was hard enough to get FAs interested in teaming up with Dirk. Imo there's a very real possibility that a lot of dudes will be apprehensive coming into a situation like that in an era where dudes are all teaming up with their AAU buddies. It kind of smells like Cuban trying to lure Giannis here (especially considering the decision to keep Kostas around over Spalding last year).
ghostofthebanned
just ready to lock up this roster so I can get to my next bored at work internet obsession....
NoahAg
Please tell me that Boban is an upgrade over Mejeri.
Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

Boban is the greatest center that ever was or ever will be.

Also, he was in John Wick 3
gomerschlep
AG
Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

NoahAg
Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

On a scale of Bradley to Dampier??
ghostofthebanned
NoahAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

he's damp
flashplayer
AG
Boban is a solid backup C. That's a good pickup
PatAg
AG
You can say we might be weaker resounding, but between KP and Kleber we are defending the rim
hph6203
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Seth Curry / Danny Green / Marcus Morris / Boban / Re-up KP / Re-up Maxi / Re-up DFS and keeping Lee as an expiring trade chip would be among the best possible offseason iterations that the Mavs could have come up with. The Mavs would have a salty team next year. Everything seems to be leveraged on weirdo Kawhi though.

I'd be very pleased with this. But if green goes with kawhi then I go from very pleased to dumpster fire off-season.
Missing out on a 12 mil a year player causes that much of a swing for you?
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Imagine what our offense would look like if we had not one, but 2 over 40% 3 point shooters.

Realistically, the front office hasn't really done much that's difficult or takes much work. They've just brought back our guys, brought back Seth Curry who has ties to the team, and signed a big man that philly couldn't bring back. That big guy will be in the role of salah mehjri. He's not a big contributor.

Green would represent a solid "2nd tier" catch for the front office. It's not a move that gets you excited, but it's a step in the right direction and gives you confidence that maybe the front office actually can sell a guy on coming here.
Seven Costanza
AG
This team will have a lot of depth if they sign Green and Morris. Not sure if it's quality depth, but it's a bunch of guys.

In no particular order:

1. Doncic
2. Porzingis
3. THJ
4. Brunson
5. Powell
6. Kleber
7. Boban
8. DFS
9. Curry
10. Justin Jackson
11. Green
12. Morris
13. Lee
14. Broekhoff
15. Maybe Roby/Kostas

Assuming Green and Morris go elsewhere, can you use the cap space to absorb a huge contract? Would there be any interest in taking on Kevin Love's monster contract for essentially nothing, and would Cleveland even be interested in simply dumping it?
mavsfan4ever
AG
hph6203 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Yes green and another solid player does cause a huge swing for me. How would it not?

That should tell you how bad it's been. If we don't get green and another player, how has it not been terrible? I seriously don't understand.

I would in no way call it a win to sign green, a $12 million player. But that's where we are. I won't call it a huge disaster if we sign him and someone else.

Edit: it wasn't just missing out on a $12 million player. It was missing out on literally everyone while our front office didn't even try to get anyone. I was not unrealistic going into this. I knew we had no shot at many players (including Kemba). I've made my thoughts known on other posts so I'm not going to repeat it here.

Danny green (plus someone else) is the backup plan to salvage this summer. I'll be fine with that. But If we don't, I'm not only frustrated because we couldn't get those 1-2 players.
Guitarsoup
AG
Article touches on how Dallas is structuring signings to maximize cap space:

https://earlybirdrights.com/2019/07/03/nba-free-agency-dallas-mavericks-indiana-pacers-los-angeles-clippers-cap-space/
hph6203
AG
Just because you don't hear about offers doesn't mean they weren't discussed. Look at the deals that were made, imagine that the Mavs made the same offers to those guys and they said no, and then ask yourself if you'd be willing to pay a premium to add them. I think you'll come back with a no more often than not.

Name one player that changed teams to a non-playoff team that you would have wanted the Mavs to sign by now.
hph6203
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Imagine what our offense would look like if we had not one, but 2 over 40% 3 point shooters.

Realistically, the front office hasn't really done much that's difficult or takes much work. They've just brought back our guys, brought back Seth Curry who has ties to the team, and signed a big man that philly couldn't bring back. That big guy will be in the role of salah mehjri. He's not a big contributor.

Green would represent a solid "2nd tier" catch for the front office. It's not a move that gets you excited, but it's a step in the right direction and gives you confidence that maybe the front office actually can sell a guy on coming here.

I understand he's valuable, the point is that he's probably either going to sign here or join up with Kawhi back in Toronto to defend their championship, can you blame the Mavs for not changing his mind on that? Really?

Again, just because you don't read about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Offers surely went out, they were obviously turned down, and you can't make someone accept your offer.

Y'all are acting like they aren't doing anything, but what would you rather they do? They're waiting on both Green and Morris to determine where they want to sign. Right now the Mavs are the second choice for both of them, because both guys would rather be on a team competing for a championship than on a team competing for a playoff spot. If Kawhi goes back to Toronto that blows it up unless we overpay, which would be a stupid decision this early into Luka and Porzingis' career here. This team, as it sits, can probably already compete for a playoff spot and even if they don't get Morris or Green they're still going to add pieces to improve.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

I understand he's valuable, the point is that he's probably either going to sign here or join up with Kawhi back in Toronto to defend their championship, can you blame the Mavs for not changing his mind on that? Really?

Again, just because you don't read about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Offers surely went out, they were obviously turned down, and you can't make someone accept your offer.

Y'all are acting like they aren't doing anything, but what would you rather they do? They're waiting on both Green and Morris to determine where they want to sign. Right now the Mavs are the second choice for both of them, because both guys would rather be on a team competing for a championship than on a team competing for a playoff spot. If Kawhi goes back to Toronto that blows it up unless we overpay, which would be a stupid decision this early into Luka and Porzingis' career here. This team, as it sits, can probably already compete for a playoff spot and even if they don't get Morris or Green they're still going to add pieces to improve.
Are you choosing to not believe the widely circulated story that Donnie and Cuban were at dinner while the other 29 front offices in the NBA were working hard to strike deals?

Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

Boban is ridiculously slow. But he somehow has a fantastic feel for the game, really good touch and is enormous, like a ripped Andre the Giant.

When he is in, he will give you 10-15 of the most efficient minutes you will have from anyone on the team in 3-4 minute stretches. That's about all he is good for. If you could play him 35mpg and keep that same effectiveness, you would have the lovechild of Kareem and Andre the Giant. Unfortunately, he can only play those short spurts, so he is more like the love child of Arvydas Sabonis and Gheorge Mureasan. But he will absolutely be a fan favorite, he will play hard.

Look at his hand as he shakes Kristen Chenowith's hand.

hph6203
AG
Name one player. Just one.
M.C. Swag
AG
Terrence Ross would have been a great fit.
M.C. Swag
AG
If we whiff on green, I hope they throw a huge offer at Delon Wright
hph6203
AG
hph6203 said:

Name one player that changed teams to a non-playoff team that you would have wanted the Mavs to sign by now.

Edit:
Go look at what the Hawks did this off-season so far. They entered the free agency period with the same kind of future, the same record, and roughly the same cap space and they've swapped Bazemore for Turner, Plumlee and Hill for....Chandler Parsons and added Allen Crabbe to facilitate the Nets signing KD and Kyrie.

Would you rather be waiting out Morris and Green or sitting here with an aging overpaid Dragic and adding one of Seth Curry or Morris, but not both.
TheMasterplan
ghostofthebanned said:

NoahAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

he's damp
What a depressing signing that was.
mavsfan4ever
AG
hph6203 said:

I've already named many players that I'd like. Bogdanovic, Ross, Beverly, brogdon (no draft picks so this wasn't going to happen), etc.

If we made offers and got rejected, then that's one thing. That's not what happened. I don't believe that we made multiple offers and multiple phone calls, and that none of this was reported. The opposite is being reported.
Seven Costanza
AG
I agree that being able to gauge the market and set realistic expectations is part of being a good GM, although that's easy for me to sit at my computer and say (and be able to do in hindsight too). In retrospect, they probably should have gone directly after Bojan or Ross. Maybe they did and it still didn't work.
hph6203
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

hph6203 said:

I've already named many players that I'd like. Bogdanovic, Ross, Beverly, brogdon (no draft picks so this wasn't going to happen), etc.

If we made offers and got rejected, then that's one thing. That's not what happened. I don't believe that we made multiple offers and multiple phone calls, and that none of this was reported. The opposite is being reported.

You are missing the point. The Mavs didn't make the playoffs last year.

Bogdanovic went to a team that finished 17 games ahead of the Mavs.
Beverly resigned with a playoff team.
Ross resigned with a playoff team.
Brogdon signed with a playoff team and required draft compensation to ensure Milwaukee didn't match.

You still have not named one player that changed teams to a non-playoff team that you wish the Mavs would have signed.

So you'd have to pay substantially more to get those players to sign here and you have to consider if those payments are worth negatively impacting the team's ability to improve in the future, because those signings aren't going to get this team all the way to where you want to go.

So can you really be upset with the Mavs front office for not doing anything substantial other than getting Curry to this point? Probably not. You have to realize that, by in large, sportswriters aren't that good at reporting things, because what they're reporting in the grand scheme of things aren't that important.

Again, look at what the Hawks did, and tell me you'd rather the Mavs do that. They went into free agency with the same situation, almost exactly, and they've swapped talent for talent and facilitated the Nets signing KD. It could be a lot worse, at least the Mavs still have ample flexibility to improve and they didn't settle for adding Dragic.

Someone said their friends aren't upset, because you can't force someone to play for you. That's accurate. That's the point. Ignore the narrative and analyze what actually happened and what could have gone different, because you don't know if the narrative of them doing nothing is accurate, because you weren't there and neither were the people writing the stories or even the people leaking the stories. It could be some irate woman that's upset the Mavs have a "Toxic work environment" and wants to make them look bad. Who knows.
M.C. Swag
AG
Idk what you're hold up here is. Dallas should be able to nab any FA.

As for your ridiculous qualifier; TJ Warren. Technically not a FA, but that's a move the Mavs should have made. We could have taken a good shooter WITH a draft asset. Or the Iggy trade. Or the Harkless trade. There were moves to be made outside of the FA market. Mavs were just too slow or I'll prepared to capitalize.
Grapesoda2525
The other thing that must be repeated is there are barely any targets left out there, the mavs still have plenty of cap space, and the cap space is "use it or lose it". These guys should've been more proactive.
hph6203
AG
These guys want to win. The Mavs didn't do that last year. They won 33 games. Brogdon, as you admit, wasn't going to happen. Bogdanovic went to a team that was 17 games better than the Mavs. Ross and Beverley were comfortable where they were and resigned. So in order to change ANY of their minds you have to pay more. To pay more means you lose the opportunity to improve in the future and those guys don't get you there.

The notion that the Mavs should be able to sign any free agent is ridiculous, people have preferences and expectations. Those are balanced between location, success and money. The Mavs don't have a GREAT city to sell, it's fine, better than most NBA cities, but not among the best. They don't have the success, so they have to pay MORE to get the guys they would have wanted and the question is are you willing to pay Beverly 17 per instead of the 13 he got? Because that's what he turned down from the Kings. Same could be said for Bogdanovic. Or Ross.

I'm glad they're not paying a guy 17+ per to play defense and shoot spot up 3's. You should be too.

Harkless wasn't an option for this team. The deal available to the Mavs was Dragic, and they didn't want that because the opportunity cost was spending 6 million in free agency so the Heat had to pivot and sweeten the deal to get it done. There are still moves to be made that improve this team without mortgaging their future ability to improve. Y'all are focused on the next 365 days, the Mavs have to worry about the next 4 years. That's their time horizon and if they spend every offseason trying to optimize the next season they're gonna end up a 4 seed every year, at best.

And an Iguodala trade is punting on improving long term this off-season. It's still out there if they're resigned to the fact that they can't get any quality free agents, but I'd rather they try and fail with Green and Morris than quit before they have to. They're trying to build a core group to make this team more appealing to free agents in 2021, because that's the next time the free agency crop is quality. Iguodala does nothing long term.

It's why they gave Boban a 2 year deal instead of 3. Because it doesn't eat into cap space 2 years from now, because given what they've done they're going to have limited to no cap space next year.

Play with this to see how the deals you wanted done would impact future flexibility:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol I don't need to play with future flexibility calculators. I obsess enough about the Mavs future payroll but that's irrelevant to what the priority of this season should have been (signing players to get us to the playoffs as soon as possible).

I just can't agree with anyone who thinks "whelp, we had no shot at these guys anyways." Whether we get Green or not, there's no defending this FA season. Whatever plan we had, was either a bad one or it didn't exist at all.
Iowaggie
AG
Wouldn't Iggy basically hold cap room?
He's a 1 year guy that comes off the books next year.

They could probably do the trade by just using the Harrison Barnes trade exception.
Seven Costanza
AG
What future flexibility is there? Aren't they already over the cap next summer with all of the deals they have made this summer to resign their own players? This summer seemed like a one-year use it or lose it scenario. I suppose leaving the cap room opens up the possibility of absorbing a bad contract via trade.
M.C. Swag
AG
Just wondering but are any of you on Mavs Twitter?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.