Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,277 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
AggieBaker09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am interested in this program, but I am more interested in losing weight than gaining weight.

I have been active my whole life and lifted weights all throughout college and was in pretty good shape(185lbs).

When it came time for the real world, I slacked big time and my weight ballooned up to 230lbs. I have been working out pretty religiously for the past 3-4 months, but I haven't lost much weight, maybe 5 lbs. I have noticed that I have gained a good amount of my strength back though. I do more isolation workouts 3-4 times a week (chest/tri, legs, back bi, and then shoulders/etc) and then try to throw in some cardio 2-3 times a week after my weight training.

So for the people that are on this program or have done it in the past, have you been able to lose weight? Or are yall strictly trying to gain weight?
fourthgenag09
AG
From my noob understanding, you'll need to create a larger calorie deficit (~500 under your calorie maintenance) and stop messing around with isolation exercises. Do more squat, deadlift, and bench.
yeahtoast
AG
+1 compound lifts, and heavy lifts at that.

I eat at a defecit all week and workout all the time...but I drink heavily on the weekends to make up for it and after losing 30 lbs two years ago I'm able to keep my weight in check at the 180-190 mark. I went through a long enduro-weeny phase during that time too, but since have focused on heavy compound lifts with enough triathlon-specific cardio to maintain a quasi-respectable endurance ability.

Summary: get your diet in check and squat heavy things.
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 24

Squat 210 PR
OHP 100 PR
Deadlift 245

It's great to work out with the weight I could barely squeeze out 5 reps with in January.
vic99
AG
Just started but I'm enjoying so far:
Session 8&9
Squat 135
Bench 170
Row 115
OHP 110 (getting tough)
Deadlift 165
irish pete ag06
AG
Man my weight is stupid. I've been plateaued at 190 for 3 weeks. I go to a winery Saturday night and eat a ton and drink a bottle of wine myself. Wake up the next day and weigh 189. Now this morning, I weigh 193.
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
+1 compound lifts, and heavy lifts at that.

I eat at a defecit all week and workout all the time...but I drink heavily on the weekends to make up for it and after losing 30 lbs two years ago I'm able to keep my weight in check at the 180-190 mark. I went through a long enduro-weeny phase during that time too, but since have focused on heavy compound lifts with enough triathlon-specific cardio to maintain a quasi-respectable endurance ability.

Summary: get your diet in check and squat heavy things.

Sounds like me, except I've been hovering around 200 for the past five years. If I take a weekend off of drinking/eating bad I end up getting below 200. As soon as I drink and eat bad, I go above.
Bogey1996
Squat - 215
OH Press - 120
DL - 235
ChiveOn
AG
i've downloaded this app but it looks like only the three initial exercises are posted. i haven't tried to do an actual workout with--i don't want to waste my time, will it load the additional exercises as y'all have mentioned doing?
TXBowhunter
AG
EDIT> > > > >

Chive. I did not even remotely answer your question.

Is the app for Apple or the StrongLog for Droid?

[This message has been edited by TXBowhunter (edited 3/25/2013 2:58p).]
txaggie_08
AG
There's only two workouts that you rotate through.

One day:
squat, bench, barbell row

Next day:
squat, overhead press, deadlifts

You can also add pullups and whatever else you may want to add to it.
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 25

Squat 215 (can't wait to hit 2 plates Friday, not sure when I am going to top out on this... weight feels heavy, but I love it and really didn't struggle to lift any of the reps)

Bench 145 (My 1 rep max in November was probably 155... didn't feel like I was close to not getting any of these reps either, still feels light, yet heavy enough I'm working)

Row 125 (I actually didn't get my last few reps, I was pressed for time at the end of the workout and was only taking 1 min rest between sets, I knew this was going to be the first workout I had to deload on. I bet with full rest I would have got all the reps)

I love this. Wish it was more than 3 times a week.
Bogey1996
I'm in the same boat on squats, will be nice putting the 2 plates on Friday. It's getting pretty tuff, just hope I can get all 5 sets of 5.
el_scorcho
AG
I've been at the program for about 6 weeks. Took a week off due to travel and came back on a Saturday and did some squats at a mere 115. On the third set I went a hair too deep and my back spasmed, giving out entirely. 3 days later I still have a really sore lower back and mobility issues. Hopefully this passes soon and I can get back on track. I figure I'll reset on squats to a lower weight and work more on form.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I figure I'll reset on squats to a lower weight and work more on form.

That's a good idea.
ChiveOn
AG
Apple version
Hoss
AG
quote:
Hoss. What are your max lifts (today) on those lifts. You will not have great success with this program if you start with weights to heavy and/or sacrifice form.

Sorry. I forgot I was posting in this thread. I don't know my maxes because I hardly ever max out (I was able to squat 315 for 5-6 reps back around October but I haven't really been squatting much since then). This will be the second or third time I've used Stronglifts though. Rather than start with an empty bar as he suggests, I like to pick my goal weights for each exercise and then work backwards to get my starting weights. Based on what I can lift now I don't think my goal weights are unrealistic. The weights I said I was starting with are all pretty easy for me.

[This message has been edited by Hoss (edited 3/27/2013 4:31a).]
vansprinkle
AG
Chive:

It will only load the workout for the day you are on. So for day 1, it's just squat, bench, and row. After completed, the next day (or 2) when you open the app again to workout, it will have squat, ohp, dead lift.

It will also keep track of the weight you do each workout and automatically add 5 lbs every workout (10 lbs for dead lift).

Went by myself yesterday afternoon:
255 squat
200 bench
140 row
All felt great. I was afraid I would stall on bench and either have to roll the weights off my chest or yell for help. Luckily I felt fine through the first 4 sets and wasn't too worried about the 5th.
TXBowhunter
AG
I had my first failed set (5th) Friday and it was OHP. Hitting the same weight again today.
Bogey1996
Squats - 220
Bench - 185
Row - 110

I think everything I do at this point except Bench is a PR. Probably b/c I never used barbell for some of these exercises. I've done squats before, just never really focussed on them or did with any frequency. The only one I've concentrated on is bench. I think I actually maxed out a year or 2 ago at around 250. I still don't feel like I'm close to being as strong on bench as I used to be, think I pulled or aggravated a pec a few months back and dropped some weight.
Bocephus
AG
I have a good bench but never do squats or dead lift. Wonder if this workout will be good for me.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I have a good bench but never do squats or dead lift. Wonder if this workout will be good for me.

I think it will. Don't start too heavy on squats and deadlift.
killshot
AG
This thread inspired me to try this workout. I used to workout regularly but fell off the bandwagon for 4-6 months. I wanted to try and regain the strength I had lost. I have really enjoyed the way the program is laid out. The iPhone app has been great too. Thank you to all who have added to this thread!

Yesterdays workout:

Squat - 205
Bench - 185
Row - 120

TXBowhunter
AG
Yesterday I destroyed OHP which I failed on the last set last Friday.

However, I am going to deload squat. The last 3 workouts I feel were not up to my standards on form.

My 245 Dl were great.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I decided to switch to inclince bench and deloaded. Shoulders are much better. Just a thought for anyone else who gets shoulder pain
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 26, yesterday.

Squat @ 220
OHP @ 105
Deadlift @ 255

My day was full of built in excuses for this workout sucking. I am a coach and teacher so I usually work out after track practice. In 1st period the JH kids were maxing and I inadvertently ended up doing about 15 front squats with various weights. The night before I didn't get but about 4 hours of sleep. Then I forgot my lunch, so I didn't eat as many carbs or calories in general as usual. Track practice had me moving around a ton to demonstrate some long jump techniques. I then stopped by baseball practice and shagged some fly balls with the kids after their big win Tuesday to lighten the mood.

After all of that, when I got to the weight room I also had random raging case of heart burn. I was sure after my last squat session went so well, that this one was going to cause me to deload because my legs were dead.

Midway through my third set, both of my quadriceps caught on fire. I wasn't sure what it was, but soreness basically set in mid rep. The soreness continued through the rest of my workout and was pretty bad last night. I've never had soreness set in mid workout and I think I am going to need to start foam rolling to alleviate the soreness. I somehow managed to squeeze out all 5 sets without form getting bad.

OHP was a struggle too. Had to let out a primal yell on the 5th rep of the 5th set go get it up (I work out by myself, so please don't think I'm a screaming dewsh working out in them middle of dozens of people) haha.

Dead lift was good. Even though the legs were dead, I threw the weight on with no warm up sets and got my 5 and got out of there.

What a crazy workout. Turned out successful when I thought it was going to absolutely destroy me.
TXBowhunter
AG
Got through the monday workout. It was tough because of some really bad family news on easter sunday. At least i blew off some steam.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Got through the monday workout. It was tough because of some really bad family news on easter sunday. At least i blew off some steam.

Sorry to hear that bud.

Workout 27 (this was supposed to be last Friday but after my legs got sore in workout 26; plus I didn't drive to the school on Good Friday... I moved this workout to Monday)

Squat 225, man it felt good to lift the 2 big plates. Didn't have too much trouble. Feel confident I will continue on for a while before failing.

Bench 150

Row 125, I failed on this last time so I was doing the same weight again. Got every rep no problem this time.

Man I love moving this type of weight around now. I know it's not much but it's a lot to me. I'm upping my calories to 3400 a day. Been hovering around 190-192 for almost a month or more.

Dr T and the Women
AG
I have a question about the app. I started using it well into my using Stronglifts. Does it automatically switch you to the 3 sets when you have deloaded a couple times?

I finally broke through my barrier on OHP after 3 deloads. I think the switch to incline bench made the difference in not hurting the shoulders as much
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
irish pete ag06
AG
I played with it one day and it does automatically switch all of that stuff to 3 sets for you. It requires you to have 2 separate deloads before it switches I believe.
Bogey1996
I missed Friday as well and could not work out yesterday. Got it in today though:

Squat - 225
OH Press - 125 (getting tough on that 5th set)
DL - 245

Met my first goal which is 225 on squat, next goal is 135 on OH Press, then 135 on Row and my utlitmate goal with this routine is 225 on Bench. Don't really have a goal on the DL, just continue on.
irish pete ag06
AG
My goals

135 on OHP
225 on Bench
315 on Squat
405 on Dead Lift

These are all 1RM goals.
Bogey1996
Hmmm, don't really know my one rep max goals, just going by what I want to be able to complete 5 sets of 5 reps.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yeah I keep up with what my PR's would be by plugging it in on bodybuilding.com account.
TXBowhunter
AG
MY 5x5 goals
OHP 1 plate per side
BP 2 plates
Squat 3 plates
Dl 4 plates

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.